1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Families knowing the cost of dolls

Jun 25, 2006

?
  1. I tell them the price

2. I don't tell them the price

3. The respect my privacy and don't ask

4. Other [COMMENT]

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. My folks know the price and they're fine with it. :) It's not much different than what I usually buy which is the main reason......the price of my boy was probably equivalent to like....maybe 6 figures or so. ^^ Plus it's my money so they don't mind. ^^

2. Family doesnt need to know the cost. When dad was asking bout it, I just said that they cost a bit more than a barbie. :-P

3. My family honestly has no idea how much the dolls cost nor do they have an inkling that dolly wigs, eyes, outfits, face-ups cost so much! I'm an adult, and I earn an income. Most of my income goes to support my family and household, but the dolls and the dolly things are my way of treating myself. I'm not running myself into tons of debt. I'm being responsible with how much I allow myself to spend, but I don't think that disclosing the doll's price tage would result in a calm discussion. :/

To my credit, I do sell things on ebay, and to used bookstores and other forums, so the money I make from there I fritter away on dolls. Sometimes I stop and think how crazy it is to be spending so much on little inanimate objects, but then I rationalize that I'm not harming anyone, really, and it's good for my mental health. Some people are shop-a-holics, alcoholics, jewelry collectors, or they always need the latest gadgets. None of that is as important for me as my dolls are. We all have our things...

My family has no idea how much the dolls cost. And I have no plans to tell them.

4. I usually just say something along the lines of "A couple hundred" which gives me a range from about 300-900 for them to ponder on, so no big deal. No one flat out asks since they know that I'm careful with my money and won't buy it if I can't afford it. I'm a class A planner! The only time cost comes up is if someone asks to borrow money and I just let them know I can't since I have a "doll payment" which either means i'm working on a doll or clothes/wig/ etc...

5. I would NEVER tell my mom how much they cost. She would flip and go bananas which leads to an argument and we don't talk to each other for a long time. A $30 hair cut turns her off so imagine a $600 doll?! (In retaliation, I cut my own hair now and she complains that it looks bad. Well too bad, I'm not spending $10 on a bad haircut. Go all the way or no way) Even though I buy them with my own hard earned money, she doesn't care b/c she doesn't understand what a hobby is. She is old and comes from a background where life was all work and no play. School school school, go become a doctor, talent suppression, etc. Sorry I'm venting.

When she does ask, I give her a number under $100. She complains about it but that's it, so it's okay. My dad doesn't care about what I do.

My brother knows their true cost. He doesn't say much. I think he only asks to make him feel better about how much it costs for him to collect model airplanes.

6. My mom...has NEVER asked me. But one day, I was at work [I work for my dad] and I was on lunch, playing around on the computer looking at new dollies. And he was like "Your mother told me about these things. How much does one of these cost?"

I was saving up for [and still am] Souldoll's Chiron Centuar, and I told him the price. And he was like "So you could like, sell your whole collection and buy yourself a car?" and I was like "I guess, but I already have a car...I don't want two o.o" I don't know if it bothered him that much. I think he was more bothered by the fact that his son is playing with dolls. Period XD but he didn't say much about the price.

I was always nervous to tell them about it, though. My mother always respects my privacy never to ask. My father is a very curious person though. But he also understands collecting things; he's a big collector of model sail boats, and he's spent a lot on them too. I think the concept of dolls kind of freaks him out though XD