1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Families knowing the cost of dolls

Jun 25, 2006

?
  1. I tell them the price

2. I don't tell them the price

3. The respect my privacy and don't ask

4. Other [COMMENT]

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I have no choice. There was no way in hell I'd be able to tell and get one on my own. I needed them to pitch in. Even if I'm 18, I don't have a credit card or money rights. I still feel like I'm being treated like a fetus or something because I'm the youngest.
      I had to let them pitch in and help. Although I wish if I made any succeeding purchase, I really don't have to divulge to them anymore...

Like in 438729072035 years to go. Dream... @_@

2. My family knows how much they cost. I'm 25 but ive always been able to spend my money however i wanted to. They don't care as long as im happy and as long as im able to pay my bills. My mom is actually at the point where she is telling me which dolls to buy next, lol. I actually added up how much i spent on just the dolls alone without their clothes and accessories and it was a little jaw dropping. I told my grandma how much it was and she said she's probably spent that much and more on her own doll collection over the years.

3. I went to Japan on holidays last summer, and I had the idea to spend all the money I had already changed into Yens. I used quite a lot the credit card so the last days of the trip I had still quite a lot of money, so what best than spend it on a dollfie? They didn't mind the price because of that, but I wouldn't have been able to buy it online if I had to ask the money just for it (i didn't work back then).
      When I spend my money (I don't have yet a job u_u) well, it's my decision how I spend it as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession.

4. My dad payed for Kai's shipping.:aheartbea
      So he knows how much he costed.
      But, my mom barely ever talks to me.:| So she has no clue.

5. There is no way i am telling my parents I bought an $800 doll... they will blow my head off. <__<;; Im scared. LOL

6. I got my St. Mina head in the mail today. My dad asked how much it cost and being honest, I said, "three fifty." My dad's reaction? "You mean three dollars and fifty cents?" XD

...I probably shouldn't have bothered to correct him, but I was kind of perplexed that he knew full well how much my first doll cost and yet somehow assumed the second one would be so much cheaper, even if it was just a head.

7. My mothers reaction:
      "I won't say I wouldn't... but you're paying for him..."

My fathers:
      "That's a boy? Do they give a discount? He's... pretty small..."
      Disturbed me, greatly...

As long as I use my own money, they don't care what I spend it on.

8. I don't have a doll yet, and my mom was a bit suprised by the price, but she totally understands my feelings for wanting a doll.
      When she was little, she had an elegant french bisque doll that she totally loved to pieces. Sadly, one day she sat it on a chair where it promptly commited suicide. Her doll smashed into bits. She's still sad about it.
      She was glad to know that they're made of resin, therefore sturdier then bisque. I'm not sure my Dad knows yet, and I'm not sure he'd understand. My mom's basically paying for it, but I'm earning the cash. Bless her. I've always liked dolls, I'd just never really seen ones that I had really liked before, and it dissapointed me, but when I saw the BJDs, I said, "THOSE are the dolls I've been searching for all my life!" :)

9. They don't know, and quite frankly they don't have to know. I'm 24 and make my own moeny, so I spends it hows I wants it. They've never actually asked though as they have no interest in my strange hobbies.

10. I told my parents what they cost and they think I'm nuts. It's also not their money, so it doesn't matter what they think ^_^

11. I told my mother since she was the one with a credit card at the time and she did help out some so, I had to. Plus, she's more receptive to the dolls than my father. She used to complain or say something about how expensive they are when I'd mention it. She finally warmed up to them but, my father makes a big deal out of it when I mention them.

They do comment that they are expensive (my father says they're a waste of money actually) but, my mom's fine with it now. Though, my dad still doesn't know that I've bought a Unoa kit yet. Else he'd flip out. >>;;; Even though I've used my money to pay for it, he'd still freak. xx; My mother won't even tell him how much the others cost. And this one'll be no different. I just hope I'm home when it arrives. >>;

12. My mom is the only one who knows how much my doll cost, and it's staying that way. It was hard enough getting her to even consider the idea of me buying one, but now she loves him to death XD;. Though I probably won't mention the fact that I plan on saving for more. Well, not until I either move out, or get another one home.

13. My parents don't live far away, so they've seen the dolls. I told them how much my first doll cost (elf el), and after that I just tell them that this one or that one cost me more than Yoarashi or less than Yoarashi. They don't need to see my accounting. :) My father's recently gotten into photography and his hobby seems to be more expensive than mine, so I think that helps.

14. i tell them, and they dont mind cuz it makes me happy^^

15. So, I'm not a minor (not at all - I choose not to drink, but legally I'm of age), but I still live in my parents' home - it's close to the university, and financially a good choice.

I lie to them about the price. Rather determinedly. I don't feel guilty about it, either - I feel angry that they think it's their right to know all the details of my finances. They always have. I have to have my bank hold my statements, because if they come in the mail my parents open them, and then question me about any purchases over $10 that they haven't previously 'approved.' Which is bull, because I've been working full-time almost continuously since I was 14. I pay my bills, and I wish they'd bug off.

Right. That's my piece, said and done.

16. I told them, they were kinda shocked at first but they helped me with saving for my first dollie! My parents are so kewl. XD

17. i go ahead and tell them the price.
      Even though they think its outrageous, they recognize that the dolls are artwork and hey, since I pay for my dolls all on my own, they know it doesnt matter if they approve or not since its my own money yeah?

18. My parents know how much my doll costs because I was in a tough spot financially at the point I had to pay for him - no thanks to money being stuck in Paypal, etc etc TT____TT - and needed them to help me out. They don't, however, know how much all his accessories cost. *sheepish*

19. I have tell two different price to my parents

I told my mom the real price of the doll, she doen't have big reaction at all

My dad don't know me ordered a doll and incoming home soon, even he know it I guess I will tell him the price of the doll was low...?

20. My parents know how much they cost, i've never tried to hide the price from them. They don't really care how much I spend though becuse I work hard for my money and I know how to budget so that I can still pay my bills, and my parents have their own expensive hobbies (like multiple fishing trips to Alaska per year). My mom is especially supportive because she loves sewing and making costumes and makes clothes for my dolls when she has time (she's usually working on renaissance fair costumes). :)