1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Families knowing the cost of dolls

Jun 25, 2006

?
  1. I tell them the price

2. I don't tell them the price

3. The respect my privacy and don't ask

4. Other [COMMENT]

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I'm 19 going on 20 in a month or two, so any luxury items I buy are all up to me, but my parents, like most parents, still have an opinion on my spending habits. And will not hesitate to make me feel like crud for buying something for myself. Sometimes.

So this is how the doll broke down in my family:

My little brother: Knows exactly how much because I told him. He thinks I'm a "dumb*** for spending that much on a doll", but respects my decision because he knows I've wanted it for a long time.

My Mom: Knows that it's over $500, and, while she's not totally happy about it, respects that it's my money to spend and can see how excited I am about it. I think she may eventually warm up. Maybe.

My Dad: Will probably NEVER know how much he cost. Just that he cost 'a lot'. Dad's probably the one who's most critical, but might also be the most understanding. We'll see what his reaction actually is to my boy, then we'll talk.

2. Everyone in my family knows how much they cost, even my little brother (he's 6).

My Mom is pretty supportive. She collects dolls herself (the Tonner, Mel Odom, and Madame Alexander 16" fashion dolls.) so she understands the cost. (I mean, Cissy dolls aren't cheap!)

My Dad's hobby is Remote Control Modeling...Helicopters and Airplanes. Considering that some of these dolls cost as much as his heilicopters...he doesn't understand why I'd spend so much, but he's very supportive of me. He actually helped fix Rika's head-split. My Dad's actually pretty funny, he takes an interest in my dolls.

My brother (the older of the two...he's 17) thinks I'm insane and is always threatening to take my dolls and blow them up or something. He's a jerk.

My little brother (the one who's 6) is the one who just loves them to death. He wants a BJD of his own, and I might get him a 1/6" dollfie for Christmas or something. He likes to pose my dolls.

La

3. That's so cool! And you're the best big sibling ever for thinking of getting him one. It's great that you're being supportive of his interest. I think a lot of boys never get a chance to play with things that interest them (cooking sets, costumes, dolls, etc.) because of this bizzare fear that it will somehow feminize them. Pfft. I'm glad to hear that your 'lil bro will have a chance to explore something that he finds interesting.

4. Well, I just turned 15, so I have to tell my parents the price x_x They're not exactly happy with it. I'm pretty positive I'm going to have to save up for my next one entirely by myself (For my birthday a few days ago, I got about $270.) They think I'm joking when I said I want another one XD

5. I play the price down a bit. I use my allowance money to purchase these dolls and I don't live with them most of the year (university), hence they really don't need to know. LOL.

6. My mother has a general idea of the 'hundreds'
      My Dad i'm hoping has no clue.. my grandmother bugs me to find out the price because she wants to help pay for my 'favourite' as my 21st present (i'm 22 now btw...)i refuse to tell her as i don't like accepting that type of money from her..

7. I won't even dare to mention about it to them! >_< My parents would kill me if they found out! Well anyway, I don't care if they find about it or not cause they can't do anything about it anymore! There is no possible way for them to take back the money spent on it... Unless if their evil enough to rip off my doll into peices and break my heart :( (Well my parents are not that evil actually)

I hope that when they find out about it, they won't get mad... I just don't want being scolded with something me and my friend really work hard on... It sucks! >_<
      Yeah I have a friend who's helping me saving up! ^.^

8. I have to tell at least my Mum the price, since I pay for everything through her. I think most of my family know ROUGHLY how much they cost...

9. I have not, nor will I ever tell my parents because if I were to tell them, they'd probably murder me. No, really, they would. :shudder To them, the dolls aren't considered a hobby or anything like that, they are considered "baby toys" and if they knew how much I spent on a "baby toy", hoooo boy! :shudder

10. Awww, gee. Thank you! :blush

He's always been really into my Mom's and my dolls. He still likes the typical 'boy' stuff, like blowing things up and guns and superheros (I still don't know where these stereotypes came from...I loved all that stuff when I was little!), but everytime there's a box or something on the step he always starts chanting, "Dolly, dolly, dolly!" Lately he's been asking when I'm going to get another Super Dollfie (to him, all BJDs are Super Dollfies...) and if it's going to be a pretty girl or a pretty boy.

He cracks me up.

La

11. My parents dont know the real price.I said it is approximatively 100$.Just my little sister know because she want them too!If I tell the real price to my parents they dont understand...my mother and father have no real hobby and my father not like toys(He said the doll is a toy).Maybe one day I tell the real price but I am not sure...:(

(sorry for my english but I speak french)

12. My parents are actually very supportive of my hobby. My mom helps me with paypal and ebay orders, and my dad helps me with my sewing. We're considering making doll beds, as well. They're not too happy about the price and wonder why it's so high (as like everybody else xD), but they help me out with it alot. They actually promised to pay the shipping on all the dolls I buy! <3

13. My mom thinks it's weird that I'm getting a guy but I think my Chiwoo, Jonah is winning her over.
      She's paying for half of it afterall.

Little by little.

14. I'm 19 and I wasn't ever planning on telling my parents how much they cost since I buy them with my own hard-earned money but my mum decided to look at my bank statement after my boy showed up and asked why I spent so much on him. My answer was "Because I wanted him" and things were left at that with her. My dad asked about the price for about two minutes then said "If it makes you happy and its your own money, I don't care." Then my mum saw my newest bank statement where 800+ was spent at DOD (a friend and I did a joint order, more than half of that money was hers) and told my dad. Dad flipped out, demanding to know why I got another one, what made them so special, and of all things he said, "I'm scared to ask but did you get a girl or another boy?" and proceeded to throw yet another fit over the fact that it was another boy... which I find is a little bit dissapointing since my parents made sure to raise me to be accepting of pretty much everything.

My bank account is actually a sort-of joint account with my mum's, so she has every right to look at my statements, but it hurt me that my dad would become a total hypocrite on what he said and throw a fit like that. Also keep in mind that this is all my own money and that I pay them for rent every month, so I have every right to spend what I earn however I want.

...I'm kind of laughing at the fact that I'm still planning on getting at least three more msd-sized and at least on sd-sized tho :sweat and he thought two were bad lol

15. I'm almost 18 and I've never outright told my parents how much they cost. Kinda scared to. They already give me crap every time I work on Anthea, especially every time i leave her in a bowl to soak-- always say that they think I've lost it, or something. *shrug* pretty rediculous if you ask me.

Thing is, my mother asked how much the clothes were a while ago and asked me where she could get them, so for all I know, she's already aware of the price. c_c And I do believe that I showed her them a long time ago and she told me I was never getting one because of the price.

At any rate, they think I'm really weird for it. My dad seems to kinda like her, though, and the girlfriend loves her. ^^

16. I am 21 i sew to get dolls and work. So as far as dolls go no one can tell me anything the only ones who know the full price are my mom and boyfriend incase something should occur to me i want them to know the prices. and know it can cover any expenses i may have left over.
      my family is all pretty coll with my dolls the main reason my bedroom has a big room just for my dolls in it and why i have shelves with materials and boxes with ribbons and threads.

17. My family knows how much I spent for my doll. Granted I only have a mini. my mom considers it a baby doll and a toy. Her boyfriend~ I dunno. And my brother thinks it's dumb . But It's my thing so they can't do anything.

18. I was 20 when I started actually thinking about buying a BJD, so it was less of an issue. But my mother and my younger sisters know how much they cost. They think I'm crazy, but then, they're used to me being crazy... and one of my sisters just ordered a MNF Shiwoo, so apparently the crazy rubs off. ;) My father, on the other hand, doesn't even know BJDs exist. He's more or less used to me being crazy, too, but somehow I don't think playing with dolls will help much with my attempts to convey that whole responsible adult (hah) image.

19. Like most of our parents, mine wonder at the price as well. They thought I was insane when I told them I was going to spend that much on something this small. XD But soon their shock wore off and they started to like my boy. Esp my mom, who started paying for some of his items. ^_^

But I ain't telling them 'bout my list. Lol. They'll freak.

20. I lie to my parents about the price... The gretest part is that they believe it. XD