1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Family member finding doll clothes in the mail...

Aug 21, 2008

1. My family doesn't really get mad about these dolls, but they make fun of me a lot. Especially my older sister she always says that bjd's are for little kids and she keeps telling all of my relatives on how im a little child that wants a doll, and shes scared of them too -_- . But I just ignore her, she just doesn't understand the hobby.

2. You know what? We all can give advise or tell about our own experience, but it`s not helping. All of us have our own circumstances, and only we can decide what to do. If you are 24(and that`s quite an age), you should make other people to respect you and your hobbies. Rude way of shouting and arguing especially in your family is not the way! Bad piece is better than good war. Your Grandfather is old person and has weak nerves( like my father). Pity him for that. And he is worries about his wife, his future life, medical expenses... Compare these with your dolls.
      Try to talk to him more, to tell him about your life, to get closer... They are your relatives, and they are more important than dolls.
      And again it`s just an advice.) Good luck!

3. I think your situation is bad. Your grandfather seems mean...( though, I think you might just have to explain to him your hobby, and if he doesn't listen, then he really is mean)
      I must say that I am lucky, that though my parents disapprove it at first and made faces and raised eyebrows at me, now they respected my hobby and they also made use the dolls as rewards whenever I do good things, like by having consistent academic honors...;):aheartbea

4. I have a friend who's father does that.

And you have to try to understand that people are just like that... because hobbies are technically "wasting money" but of course we could debate what wasting is but in short what i mean is if its not cheap, its wasting to others.

of course your grandpa is being rude but try to understand him... and i still think hiding is bad but dont let them get found out and perish! Just dont order more until youve moved out. Its better for you AND your dolls. You wouldnt want them being abused would you? just try to hold back.

5. and reading more, i feel that not caring what others think is being more mature really. Dont ignore the people, you shouldnt care in the first place and therefore wont be ignoring them. Just smile and laugh and then punch them in the head in your imagination. Really everything is opinion and respect is something very hard to obtain in the world so dont expect it.

6. BJDs are a very expensive hobby... I only buy if I have enough spare funds saved (no layaway). I'm self-sufficient, but my parents do try to give me financial advice. But we've always had a good parent-child relationship, so they're more accepting. I think the only thing to do is to explain it as best you can and try to see things from their (parents, grandparents, etc.) point of view too.

7. Hoping that my parents warm up to my doll when she gets here...they can be pretty unyielding. And if I was getting clothes, they'd know about it because they'd buy them (much less money than a doll!). Not because they wanted to, but that I'd saved up money for them.

But that grandfather thing is harsh!

8. I know it will not be a great "help" but I think there are people who only stops and appearances do not want to understand, despite explanations.
      I also think that your grandfather is from another generation where "entertainment" were very different, may be more rare, right?
      My boyfriend understands, because first hand he sees me create the universe and try to make beautiful pictures, seconde he's a fan of guitars (a hobby that costs expensive too quickly). My parents will not understand and would not seek to understand, but my stepmother, it makes her smile and finds that it encourages me to sew ...
      Can be explained only by dint of (what it brings to you, etc..), he'll understand but I think you should not strive and find a friend nice to receive your mail ^ ^

9. when i get packages my dad always tells me about it and would never open it himself. BUT he insists i show him every cloth or accessorie i get LOL
      my mum knows everything i get, because she helps me choosing sometimes and has a interest in dolls too :3 but showing her the stockings and underwear was embarrassing (because i have girly stocking and want a male doll XD)

10. I don't live with my family, I'm married and have my own house, but my family knows I collect dolls. My husband is cool with it because he knows he spends a ton on video games so he really has no room to talk. My mom is absolutely okay with it (she actually bought me my DIM Flowne for my birthday...she said she wanted to get me something that she knew I would love and appreciate), so she's super cool with it. My dad and my grandparents haven't given comment but at least if they're bad comments they've kept them to themselves.

I think it's terrible that your grandfather acted that way though. Even though my family hasn't pitched a fit...I have a few "friends" and aquaintances that I get lectures from regularly and honestly it's not fun at all. Even our nosey postal lady has been snarky to me (or my husband if he's picking up the packages for me) when it says "Doll clothing" or "Doll items" on my package. People need to just keep their nose out of it really. If it makes you happy people should be okay with it, sad they're not though.

But anyway, I agree that maybe trying to talk things out will work. Tell him that it hurts your feelings whenever he speaks to you that way. And if that doesn't work...next time it happens and he starts cursing you, just turn around and walk away. And declare to him "When you're ready to talk to me like a civilized adult, I'll talk to you about this." I've never used that dealing with dolls but I have when customers start cursing me at work.

11. Wow, that must have been hard, I don't think it's that a good hobby it's not like you are doing drugs or anything. After all, these dolls maintain their value over time, maybe explain to him that that it's an investment. My Mom likes dolls, but Dad thinks I spend too much money on them. Lately, though he at least takes a look and says its nice looking even if he complains about how much I spent later.

12. I feel your pain, though i have not had someone intercept my dollie mail, my sister calls my little puki puki a demonspawn everytime she seems her.

13. I've yet to own a doll and I'm getting ready for my first boy. But I totally understand your pain. My parents aren't exactly pleased with me for wanting to start such an expensive hobby.

But like what some mentioned earlier, you need to communicate with your parents and family members and make them understand or at least respect you as an individual and a part of family.

My Mum for one wasn't (and I think she still isn't) happy with my manga-collecting hobby. But after constant communications I think she somewhat managed to accept that it's my hobby, something I really enjoy.

14. Same :3 my parents were exactly the same and im still in the same position as you. XP still no doll but hoping soon~

B. T. W. I LOVE YOUR AVATAR. I COULD RECOGNIZE IT FROM HEAVEN OR HELL. That sexy black hair, those lips... the mouth~

15. I've never had anyone opening my mail for me yet, it's just something my parents never did and bf never does. They might have been curious, especially my parents when I still lived there, when there was a box on the table and they weren't allowed to open it. But they knew i would storm down once I opened it up on my own and show it to everyone xD
      They never really approved of the amount of money I spent in the hobby, but they saw it made me happy so they didn't mind I guess. I finally had a way to express myself creatively again :p

I guess it's all depends on the person wether they accept the hobby or not. Nobody is really enthousiast about my hobby, except my grandmother. Ok, she isn't functioning as well as a while back, since she's getting older and had a trombose etx, but she's really sweet. She used to collect porcelain dolls so she understands and likes to see what I do with them. So whenever I go there I try to take at least one doll. She just likes to hold them ^^