1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Family member finding doll clothes in the mail...

Aug 21, 2008

1. My parents arent as bad. they say that i could spend my money on clothes and school stuff but they also respect it because they see that it's my money that i saved for all summer so they really don't mind

2. LMAO arent we all just victims of mis-understanding.... when the other half raises eyebrows at my conversations with inanimate objects and the fact that I'm quite willing to shell out over $100 for an outfit for something that's not aware of its appearance but hesitate to buy shoes on sale for myself, I remind him that unlike his VERY EXPENSIVE motorcycle hobby I don't contribute to global warming and my hobby certainly wont kill me!! LOL stuff'em!!!

3. I feel your pain, my parents used to do that. I told them the price of my first MSD and my dad freaked out, but I reminded him that he spends more on that in cigarettes in a month. My mom shook her head. When my second msd appeared, for a while they didn't know he was mine, because I was doing face-up commissions at the time. When they asked I said he was a trade.

They still don't know about my 2 tinies. When I sell the MSD and use it to buy an SD head, I wonder what they'll say :P I think they are used to it by now, though.

4. I think MSD are better for your health than cigarettes. You can't resell a cigarette when you are short on cash. ^_^; I wish my mom didn't smoke... I hate to see all that money burned up when she can't afford it. If you can afford cigarettes it isn't as bad.... but you still harm your health. :3 I was thinking. Same thing as the dolls are better than drugs comment. Dolls are better than being an alchoholic too. @_@ My dad was an alchoholic and died from it... ;_; It makes me sad.

5. I do the same thing xD My mom is in the dark and thinks I traded stuff for my recent doll stuff xD

I was received my first doll free, won a contest, so there was no problem with him. She kept assuming I was going to sell him but then she started to fall in love with him so it was all good. Then when I bought my MSD boy she gave me grief for days till he arrived. She helped me dress him said he was cute then walked away.

Gave me more grief when I started buying clothes and stuff but now its gotten to a point where she actually gets excited when she sees them. She actually wants one of her own but she still thinks its all too expensive. So I have to hide and lie when I get new stuff so she doesn't yell but she does come often to fawn over them xD

6. Good goddess. This reminds me once again why I hate people. I just can't BELIEVE someone could be angry about how someone else spends their own money, to the point of potentially damaging their property. (this applies to several people in the thread)

(this applies to the OP) I think you said you're living with your grandparents to help them out? You don't have to, this is something you're doing because you love them/out of the goodness of your heart? Then please, don't put up with it. Your grandfather definetely has no right to do anything like that if you're helping them out in such a big way. I know I don't let anyone treat me like that. If I were in your situation, there would have been a screaming match so epic the neighbors would have called the cops, and I would have packed my stuff and moved out immediately. Then again, I have absolutely nil tolerance for non-acceptance, I'm an angry person, and I'm very grabby about my things.

I am suddenly glad my parents are only silently disapproving.

7. It's situations like these that keep the mailbox services at UPS stores chugging along. Has saved me from having many arguments...

8. My mom is cool with it, she even sews stuff for them. She does bring them up when she's in a nagging mood tho. And my dad likes to complain about them, but he doesn't really mean it, (I know when he really is angry) besides, my dad complains about everything. In the end, they know I used my own money to buy my dolls. (I did borrow some money from my dad, but I paid him back the moment I could afford it)

9. My mother picks up my mail and check my packages which was awkward when I first started buying dolls and doll things - "so many clothes have come in this month, how much did it all cost?!"

"Not a lot Mom...." :sweat

I still feel twinges of guilt sometimes for how much money I dump into this hobby and when she asks it makes me feel worse.

10. My room is too small to hide my big boys. I would just be honest with my mother about them. Usually she is quite respectful of what I brought, and about the packages delivered home. However, I still have to make a lie a bit to not to cross her comfort zone of how much I spend on dolls' stuff.
      When she is back next month from visiting relatives, I hope she would not scream at me when she discovers the new boy just arrive recently.

11. Hiding mail can be tricky. When I buy my wife gifts its really hard to keep them secret. Especially when NOBLE collection writes their name on the outside of the box! I find that if I send the items to my work address its tons easier to deal get products into the house unknown. Then again, I haven't tried mailing dolls to the workshop yet. Don't think I will either. A big 'ol sword is one thing. A 22" doll is another. The heckling would never end!

~john out

12. lol dude you are like epic *bows* i heart you good sir. heart you.

13. I'm 22, living at home and completing a traineeship in Business. I earn my own money, I pay my own bills, my parents have no say in what I buy.

Also I think hiding dolls is immature. And will only make things worse in the long run.

14. hehehe I have the exact same situation lol! My husband buys alot of video games and bugs me about how much money I spend on doll items :) It's fun to tease him about it.

But yeah, it's probably a good idea to have a sit down with your grandfather. These are items that you have paid/saved for, it's what you enjoy, and if he doesn't think that its something worth it, then tough beans. You're going to keep on buying this stuff no matter what he, or anyone else says. Who knows. He may respect you after that for standing up to him for what you enjoy and believe in.

This is just my analogy. It's the way I think about it. It's only when I have to borrow money from my husband (or others) for food, etc, because I've spent too much on doll stuff that they get angry at me. Which doesn't seem to be your situation. So your grandfather doesn't really have any reason to be angry at you for buying things you enjoy.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you! *hugs*

15. To everyone telling her to talk to her grandfather about this:

She OBVIOUSLY doesn't like confrontation or this thread wouldn't be up. If she could solve it by simply sitting him down and talking to him, she would have, but there are some people out there who can't handle confrontation and she seems like one of them, so your suggesting that she does this isn't helping. :) Just send the clothes and dolls to a friends house and keep them locked away safely in your room. Buy a foot-locker that weighs 50lbs if you have to, and keep it locked. He's old, he won't be able to throw away a 50lb box and 100lbs of dolls.

16. I know how some of this feels. With family members getting on you and crap. Everytime my grandmother sees my dolls she gives them a dirty look. She dispises me anyways but I think she really doesn't like the fact that I have money like this to do with as I please. She actually started yelling at me over this and various other things. And I raised my voice over hers. Not screaming but definatly in a stern tone. (Note: I am not normally one to let my emotions have the best of me, especially anger and even more so when I express it negativly on others). But either way. She hasn't bothered me since.

I know comunication may be hard for you and your grandfather. But you have to find someway to show/tell him that this is your life and he can disaprove in an orderly mannor

17. My great grandmother was a big doll person. I had alot of dolls growing up, so I know she would really approve of the BJD's! As for my grandfather, mums dad, I don't think he would approve, and diffinitely never his wife! But he doesn't live close by, whew!!!!

18. hey chiiruchan, we live near eacother lol just pointing that out cause i saw your location,my parents understand there not really for kids so whenever i get clothes in the mail they just joke "this is a little to small for you" haha,i feel lucky that there not mean about it or anything

19. My fiance is getting into dolls too. His mom usually raises an eyebrow at me, but she collects porcelain dolls, so yeah. My dad never approves of anything I do, but I don't live with him, so nyah.

Grandfathers tend to be kind grumpy that way anyways. Just... smile at him, agree with him, and find ways around him. Get a P.O. Box, even.

20. Have you ever had a parent throw a doll across the room? Hiding dolls is a good thing for some people. My Dad has a habit of throwing things he doesn't like around and calls stuff that doesn't belong to him garbage. So far he has only thrown my Dollzone Mo across the room a few times, luckily most of the time the doll has landed on soft or semi soft surfaces and hasn't gotten scratched or broken.

My entire family with the exception of my parents support me in my doll habit, which sucks because I live with my parents. They keep telling me I need to grow up and act my age. I am 24 playing with dolls, I could be out doing what many 24 year old college students are doing that affects my health negatively, or I could be going to tea parties and playing with dolls.

My mother keeps asking me how many dolls I have, and I always reply with "A Bunch" that way I never have to give her a number and she won't be able to yell at me because my 7 suddenly became 8 >_> though I am surprised at my most recent doll being a tanned doll and my parents not noticing/commenting on his arrival.

I plan to go down to the post office and get a small PO box next to the one my parents have so that I can have all my doll related stuff go into that box so only I can get it.