1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Family member finding doll clothes in the mail...

Aug 21, 2008

1. man that sucks. i'm REALLY glad my family is supportive of my doll hobbies.....

2. There are SO many more worse hobbies to have...I suggest you pretend that you've traded dolls for one of them, at least for a little while. For example, I would blatantly leave around literature with respect to firearms, Cosplay, or whatever religion he's vehemently against in prominent places in your house.

When he asks about them, tell him that you decided he was right about the dolls and that you've decided to channel all your energy into New Age crystal therapy, Scientology, or Orthodox Judiasm. Not saying they're weird things at all, but I'll bet you that at least one of those three are quite a stretch away from whatever his beliefs are. If necessary, start dressing as a member of that interest would while he's around or visiting. I"ll bet you that he'll soon be wishing that the doll items were back in the picture instead of your new "hobby".

Also, you're a grownup. I saw your picture. You're entitled to do whatever you want with your own money. Don't forget that :)

3. When I first started with the doll hobby it annoyed my parents to find pakages in the mail at least twice a week for my dolls, they thought that my money should be going towards better things. But 3yrs into the hobby now and that don't really care that much anymore. In fact my mom absolutely loves my first doll which is also the only girl doll in the family, mom is always thinking of things that might be scale appropriate for her lol its sweet in a way.

4. If you live in the US there are two things you can do about mail.

The first is to get a PO Box. NO ONE has access to that but you. If a package is too big to fit in the box, they leave a note in the box and either a key to a locker that they put the box in, or a note to tell you to go to the window to pick it up. PO Boxes are NOT expensive and it can save you having parents open your mail.

But some places won't ship to a PO Box. But if you have a UPS store or a Mailboxes Etc. in your area you can also get a drop address/mailbox with them. It works like a PO Box (and you can get access to it after hours just like a PO Box) but it gives a street address rather than a PO Box. You simply check off (when asked for) that this is a business address. Again, this saves having someone open your mail.

5. Wow, that's really uncalled for, I'm sorry. Unless your family is your sole income, they really need to mind their business about what you spend your money on. Not that they will, but they should. I don't have any good advice, but if I was in that situation, I'd tell grandpa not to ever disrespect me like that again over something that's not even his concern or something negative.

6. Well, most of them mail in my house has my sisters name on it so when a package comes my mom just puts it in her room. Our older sister orders all our stuff (since she is the only one with a pay-pal and debit card that she can use (my parents have mine)) so when we see a package we just open it together if we dont who who's it is. If only one of us bought a doll we let the person who's it is open it.

Usually my older sister never gets to open her packages since she is always working, she calls us and tell us to open it and put clothes on them^^
      Then she see's them when she comes home.

7. Man oh man some of you girls I really feel bad for. I so wish I had a big hourse with rooms for rent where you all could get jobs and go to school and keep your dolls and as long as you helped with chores and paid your rent on time I wouldn't cvare how many dolls you have in your rooms or what clothes cost. As long as you did your share of work and so on. Sadly I am married LOL and so the house I have although would be very roomy for 2 more to live here maybe 3 I would be find with you haing BJD after all so do I. I hope all gets better for you all, and maybe a room mate would be better then family at this point for some. Motherly Hugs to you all, Marie K

8. I'm pretty lucky because my husband has been a comic and action figure collector for years-- we've always had to have a "special room" in our house so he had a place to store is comic boxes....he's been building out the "crawl" space (which is more like another room since it's so big) that we are calling the "Bat Cave". That's the home for his comics.

So with all this money, time and effort spent on his hobby, he doesn't really have a choice. He can be somewhat thrifty, so he may want to say something, but he KNOWS better.

9. Ever since getting my own paypal, my family is unaware of when I buy things now. Though when I get a package they know it's most likely doll-related. I don't think they care since I use my own money for this hobby, but I'm sure they'd rather see me buy something more useful...*glances at her ratty clothes* :lol:

10. I bought my first doll with my own money when I was 16. I told my dad that it was half the price is actually was, but told my mom the full amount. I explained the hobby and how it tied in with my other crafts and hobbies (fashion design & photography) and how valuable a tool it would be for portfolio building. They were both accepting. I recently told my dad how much it actually cost and he shrugged lightly. I am now 20 and just bought another doll (head) and am in the market for another full doll. The only thing my mother has ever said to me about my doll is making sure she's dressed :sweat Her anatomical correctness makes her nervous. I'm constantly trying different things on her for sizing and style as I make them, so she's.. naked alot. xD Thus, a valid complaint.

The only clothes/accessories I've bought for my doll were in person at an anime convention, and only one wig and maybe two pairs of eyes were ever mailed, which were very small purchases in basic packaging. With any luck, my second doll will actually be bought in person as well, so in a sense I've never given them a reason to overthink the spending. They complain more about how much space my art supplies take up rather than thinking about how much they cost me. Only recently in these unsure economic times have I seen my parents worry about money, but as long as I'm enrolled in college (and keeping my loan payments at bay), they see any doll-related items I acquire as portfolio building aides, AKA, a ticket to FIT.

11. I'm currently 17 going on 18 soon. I'm sorry that your grandfather is such a jerk. There are a lot of people in this world that think your too old for dolls. My mother thinks I'm too old for them even though I tell people who are at her age or my age love these things too. They aren't just your everyday barbies or cabbage batch children dolls. They are just a work of art that I am genuinely in love with!

I have to say, you're never to old for anything. :P And take advice to what everyone says here. Send your doll stuff to another place: your boyfriend's or a best friend! I wouldn't risk hiding your dolls at your place for the fact that your parents or whomever could just invade your privacy when you're not home and find your doll. Then what could happen! A friend of my friend is thinking about ordering a doll but has to keep it at my friend's house for safe keeping. :( The friend doesn't live in a safe environment for the doll to live in but the friend wants one really badly!

Also, my mother or family doesn't know how much these things cost...at least yet. :\ My mom left my Leekeworld Body outside when he arrived. :o I was so upset about that fact! What if it was RAINING!? It was rather cloudy outside when I woke up to see if the package had arrived. It was just SITTING OUTSIDE. My mother didn't even try to bring it inside. -_O;; She knows it's a doll thing because when my first boy arrived she asked what it was and I told her a doll.

12. I had the same problems. I NEVER EVER brought up the topic of dolls in front of any of my family until recently. I still keep them out of sight afraid of if family comes over and sees them. Some of my mailing addresses are for my family's house and on occasion I'll get a call asking what is this "thing" doing in the mail box. I guess a PO box is in desperate need...

13. *Sigh* Cussing grandpas and hidden dollies....brings back memories of living with my grandparents when I was in college! The hidden dollies were not mine, but my grandmother's. She hid them from him and I felt so sad hat she had collected all these dolls, but could only take them out of the closets to enjoy for brief snatches of tiem when he was out. And while grandma was as sweet as a dear grandma could be, Grandpa was as mean as the day was long. He cussed about a lot of things but the one that comes to my mind each time I think (not so fondly) of him, was "you can stick your wedding up your *** because I an't coming. (This was after he was trying to tell me who I should and should not invite)
      Anyway, it was years ago and now I can see it for what it really is. Abuse. Your grandfather getting into your mail and cussing you out is abusive and I hope that you can get out of the situation.

14. When I found out how much I wanted a Dollfie. I told Eeeeeveryyooone lol Even my family. When I mentioned the price however, my parents looked at me with a: ">.> you're spending how much on a doll?"
      When I got him, they couldn't tell if it were female or male they assumed female, but I said it was male. They looked at me some more ">.>......"
      When I ordered his first outfit from different sellers they all came at different times. My mom usually gets the mail, so when I got the shoes, she laughed at the size and joked on which feet they would fit. She doesn't seem to care at all for my hobby, neither for the rest of my family. Just when I spend so much on him they think it's a waist. But they dont make fun of me for it, so yeah, just when I take it out in public they get "Embarresed to be see with me and him"

15. i feel you...my dad doesn't want me to buy a dolly because he thinks i'm too old for it ...:(
      oh yeah, he also thinks that it's a waste of money and it's gonna affect my grades...:(...

16. Oh my gosh I kinda know the feeling of that too Dx when I buy other stuff on the internet my mom always gets the mail x.x so she asks me wat is it wat is it!? when i tell her she naggs me x.x and now that she kinda knows I just got into the doll hobby Idk how she'll react when she finds my Regen on the mail Dx so ill just tell her i ordered some cheap shoes I hope that worksXD

17. I vote for the PO box. You aren't going to change your grandfather at his age. He is also probably mad at the world because your grandmother has or is in the process of forgetting their life together. The fact that he needs your help also probably angers him no end. The PO box is "out of sight, out of mind," what he doesn't see won't get him mad.

18. There's only my little elderly Mom living with me & when a doll or doll stuff arrives She actually enjoys seeing it. But then there's the eternal question "Don't you have enough?"

19. My mom actually likes my doll a lot, but I never told her how much it really costs. Before I bought her, I mentioned wanting a more expensive doll to just to see what her reaction was. I never really told her how much she costs, but she always likes seeing new outfits that I make and put on her.

My dad loves snooping through the mail though. When things arrive, especially from Asia, he always freaks out for some reason. Not really like angry freaking out, but more like, "OMG WHAT DID SHE ORDER!?!?!" Before it was just $10 figures and things like that, but I've been getting more things in the mail once I find things for cheap on ebay, and usually they come from Hong Kong or China. He's really going to flip his lid when a huge box from Korea arrives in a few months (with a resin naked man inside!). >D I get my income tax check at the end of this week, and I'm spending part of it on a doll and saving the rest for more important things.

20. I bought my first doll last year, but i did not tell my parent.
      I order him before they went aboard and my doll sent while They
      was on vocation.

All i know is, If my parent find out, they will killed me.
      They will kick me out(seriously)and let me pay for my college tuition.

They love to ask how much i have in my saving account(I was be really good saving.)
      but i can't tell them how much i left in my account.Y_Y