1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite and least favorite type/style of a BJD?

Jul 27, 2018

1. I love mature sculpts that are a mix between realistic and stylized, in SD size.

My least favorites are cat anthros. I know that’s way specific, but even though I love animal dolls, I’ve never cared for the cat anthros at all.

2. I like a little of everything, unfortunately for my wallet. I like both super realistic and very unrealistic, mature and babyish, beautiful and just plain strange! My favorites though tend to be the older single-jointed dolls with stylized features, a "classic BJD look."

The only thing I really don't care for are anthros. Of course, that will probably change now that I've said that. ;)

3. My tastes tend to lean towards adult + realistic. There are exceptions, but I will always lean towards these two qualities before anything else.

4. Nowadays I'm into the most realistic sculpts you can get on the market... Even if my collection doesn't 100% reflect that ahaha... Well, it's an 8 year strong collection so there's that though... On the other end I love the really anime looking dolls (see dollfie dreams)

5. I like sculpts with a mix of cartoon/anime with realistic features. Also, anything steampunk will gain my heart <3
      My least favorite...hum...maybe animal dolls/anthro(?).

6. My favorite is definitely realistic SD... I prefer those kinds of faces and the 1:3 scale bodies are the most fun to sew clothes for. I see lots of different dolls that I think look awesome in other people's pictures. The more "creepy" unrealistic/stylized ones especially, (like Doll Chateau, some Dollzone stuff, Dream Valley) are so cool! and I love seeing people do super elaborate customizations on them. But for my own collection I like big dolls that look like tiny humans.
      My least favorite would have to be Minifees. Sorry, Minifees! They all run together so much to me and the overall "Minifee style" just doesn't grab my interest in any way.

7. I like semi realistic dolls, i mainly collect 1/6 so they usually have big eyes. I dont like super skinny dolls or dolls that are too artistic, no scary doll too!

8. It is so interesting to see everyone's preferences! I really like the oldschool Volks aesthetic, massive head, big eyes, little noses, I really like very square jaws. I also really prefer the old immature body types, with very simple jointing and slightly chubby lines. I only collect these kinds of dolls because otherwise I would have too many to consider and I like things to be manageable and my collection to be cohesive.
      I am not a fan of the hyper realistic dolls in person, but really love seeing photos of them, so I suppose I don't dislike them as such, I just don't feel any urge to own them myself.

My least favourite dolls are the anthro type BJDs, I just don't find them appealing at all!

9. I'd say I don't have too strong a preference. My crew ranges from semi-realistic to gently animesque/Asian styled but that's because of luck rather than actively pursuing aesthetics. For my least favourite aesthetics I'd have to say I dislike dolls with weird fixed expressions. All those holy Soseo's with gaping fangy mouths and the Angelphilia's with droopy tongues...too weird for me. I also find I dislike a lot of Soom's dolls. Their proportions look strange to me, a mix of the uncanny Valley and a dislike of their aesthetics and fullsets. It's not that Sooms aren't beautiful, it's that I personally don't jibe with them.

10. Well, for my favorite style of dolls, I'd have to say: the more realistic, the better. I also prefer more adult looking sculpts, especially if they're more angular, have narrower eyes, and have some unique features. You could also say I'm a sucker for dynamic sculpts: quirky smirks, interesting noses (I especially love those with features from cultures differing from my own; Caucasian/European mutt here---and I just adore strongly Asian/African sculpts), and sculpts that are very expressively versatile depending on either the angle you look at them from, or the type of faceup they're given.

If I'm going into the types of bodies, my preferences is decent poseability, but also a decent amount of realism. I'm especially drawn to boys with those optional parts:wiggle:lol:

As for least favorites, let's see: gaunt, overly skinny looking fashion type dolls like Pasha Pasha. Ones with O expressions like Angel Philia (those things seriously creepy me out, they make me think somebody's torturing them :shudder). Baby dolls and child-like ones, especially ones like LittleFees/PukiFees (I still have residuals of abhorrence for baby dolls because of my cousin and sister's obsession with them as kids, although I do have make an exception with Harucasting's cuties). In general girl dolls with big wide eyes, small noses and puckered/big lips (and maybe boys to an extent as well). Extremely anime-esque styled BJDs. Ones that suffer from Barbie/Ken syndrome: lack of anatomy, obnoxiously oversized and unrealistic breasts, lacking what makes a man a man, stuff like that.

I also never really got into cutesy stuff, so I am just not drawn to it. Lolita, frills, dresses in general---not my thing.

So...yeah, I'm pretty much the opposite of the OP.:XD:

11. I definitely like dolls with sleepy or droopy eyes and more soft facial features and cute lips, some of my fave are from Switch and RsDoll. Dolls that have sharp and mature features like ones from Granado or IOS Class80 are not ones I'm a fan of, or would ever buy, but I can appreciate the aesthetic on other people's dolls!

12. My favorites tend to be realistic dolls though I do like some slightly stylized ones such as Customhouse & the old Lutz. Currently I'm loving on Little Fees & a Peak's Wood tiny that fits perfectly with my Ante & Chloe. This is very unusual as I don't like child dolls but these girls are supposed to be sprites so their child faces say nothing about their real age.

My least favorites by far are anime styled dolls like DD & Smart Dolls. There's just something creepy about them to me. I really don't enjoy their aesthetic at all. I don't even enjoy others' photos of them.

13. I used to be really put off by dolls like doll chateau and lillycat because of how strange they looked. But now I love the character they can bring to a doll! I think I was getting tired of seeing sculpts that looked beautifully similar and otherwise lacked any other defining qualities.

When it comes to anime dolls, they are not really my style and I get really off put by ones that have irises that fill their whole eye

14. I love fantasy doll, for me BJD allows to create all what we want without limits and I like when imaginary beasts as dragon, centaur... become real thanks to some creators and companies :)
      Even if I like european sculpts with long legs or other "normal" BJD ^^

15. I prefer more realistic and mature dolls with handsome (as opposed to pretty) features. I'm also kind of picky. I like those which have the newer Asian BJD aesthetic (as opposed to European, traditional Asian BJD/Bisque Doll, Anime, Tim Burton, or Fashion Doll aesthetic--so I'm not as much a fan of Enchanted Doll, Forgotten Hearts, Pasha Pasha, or Volks, Alice in the Labyrinth, Big Baby, nor ones like Unoa, Volks Dollfie Dream, and neither like Doll Chateau or Dream Valley, as nor those like DeMuse Doll, Devi Doll, Sybarite, many Iplehouse sculpts, etc).

For me, my favorite sculpts are generally those intended to be male (to shell characters of any gender), and those which look more mature, with small faces proportionally to their heads.

As a result, I tend to like companies like Angels Doll, LLT, OrDoll, and Impldoll.

16. I love dolls with fantasy creature halves (equine and cervine being my favorites!). I’m head over heels for most fairyland dolls. I love their cute/cool human halves and the way they stylize the animal halves! I think it’s beca dolls of that type are hard to find anywhere outside the bjd hobby. I tend to favor cute/cool sculpts overall I think??

I admire what people do with spooky or macabre dolls but they’re not for me personally. It’s so cool to see everyone’s take on this subject! Such a wide range of tastes, I love it ^^

17. I love realistic sculpts, the more realistic the better. Half of my dolls are Souldoll or Iplehouse.

Conversely, I don’t like anime-style dolls, like Dollfie Dream. I love anime and manga, but something just doesn’t transfer right into 3D for me. Probably the eyes.

18. I don't like very much anime-styled BJDs, or anthros.I also dislike dolls with too cute face, like fairyland.
      I'm fond of fantasy dolls, realistic dolls or dolls with strong features.

19. Littlefee girls are my favorite type of doll. My dream is to own a gigantic horde of them! I also like sleek, elegant bishounen 70cm dudes, and I have a soft spot for anime-styled dolls as well.

I really don't care for the "fashion doll" type of bjds, especially the ones that are suuuuper skinny.

20. I seem to have ended up with a pretty wide assortment of different sizes, styles and types of dolls in my collection, but I'm still most drawn to 1/3 scale, old-school sculpts (Classic Volks and pre-Fairyland CP/Delfs, for instance-). I'm also fond of many dolls that fall into that "middle ground" somewhere half-way between Very Stylized and Mostly Realistic. (Think of dolls from companies like Elf Doll, Lati and Soom, for example, or the older Dollshe and IpleHouse sculpts like Hound and Cherie.) I also love weird little non-human creatures, like so many of DC and DZ's event sculpts. I think they're adorable in a strange, off-the-wall kind of way.

I'm not a huge fan of "big baby" dolls for some reason. Micro-scale babies are fine... I have a DZ Christmas Baby, and would love to eventually add a Nappy Choo to the gang... But the larger-sized babbies? Nah. Not for me. Chic Line/FID-type fashion dolls, likewise.

I also can't deal with dolls with very opened mouths, particularly not if there are also teeth and (*shudder*) TONGUES involved. They just give me the total heebies for some reason. :shudder Anyone more fangy-and-mouthy than my Dark Master Heliot wouldn't last long in this house, I'm afraid, and even then, as gorgeous as Raksha may be otherwise, he's really pushing it.

#40 Brightfires, Sep 20, 2018
      Last edited: Sep 20, 2018