1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite and least favorite type/style of a BJD?

Jul 27, 2018

1. I cant find childish looking heads on super toned or adult looking bodies appealing. I also cant stand same face syndrome dolls.

I do love sleepy eyes and small buttoned nose dolls. I love all type of lips/mouth.

2. I favor more "unique" looking sculpts as well as semi/realistic dolls. I don't mind some of the more "cartoony" face especially for fantasy sculpts, but I draw the line at literal anime faces. Some people can really make these dolls look great but I can't see owning one myself.

What I really dislike is baby and childlike sculpts, and ones with proportions that are wayyyyyy too off. There's also this super generic "look" some of the bigger companies have with their dolls that drives me insane! Honestly, that might be why baby/child sculpts bug me so much. They tend to all look so similar in my eyes!

3. Least favorite realistic dolls:roll:

4. I prefer old-school sculpts, like old Volks sculpts, older delfs like EL, Yder, Soony etc. Their heads are a bit bigger, same with the eyes, and they have a very doll-like quality. What I like about this style is that they have such a strong presence. It's something that I miss with more realistic styles. As a result, fashion dolls and realistic dolls are my least favorite. I appreciate their looks, but they're definitely not for me. Used to own an Iplehouse Kamau and although the sculpt was gorgeous, he felt... empty to me.

5. i really love the sculpts that are stylized. To me, dolls shouldn't be just all idealized beautiful version of people, but they should be of their own identity and have their own various look. So i guess my least favorite types are those one with such stereotypical big eyes small pointy nose and small mouth.

6. As I started with DD, anime or semi-anime style are my favorites. I'm really liking ringdoll's latest female sculpts. I also like more realistic sculpts that are still unrealistically beautiful. Some 1/3 Loongsoul dolls are perfect example of this.

As for least favorite, I dislike the dolls that are too close to western dolls in style, since it makes them less unique. I won't say which one I feel fall into this category since I don't wanna get lynched :XD:

7. I appreciate but am not a personal fan of doll bodies with overly exagerated proportions, anime eyes in general or anthro/animal dolls. There are a lot of beautiful ones out there but none that I'd want in my own collection. Same with sleeping dolls, they are beautiful but I find them hard to bond with as far as owning one. I've realized that I prefer to be able to see eyes.

8. My favourite sculpts are in the middle, neither too anime-like nor too realistic. I don't like anything on the far ends of the spectrum, which is why I guess BJDs that resemble Obitsu's style have never interested me, and neither does Dollshe Saint. The former because I like a sense of realism to my dolls (they're 3D after all), but not so real that they're basically smaller versions of real people (the usual 1/6 scale figurines in the comics/film market already nicely inhabit that category). I like those that resemble Victorian porcelain dolls, having collected the latter a long time ago. Also dolls with extreme expressions - e.g. very happy smiles or sad faces - put me off because their expressions are rigid and don't leave much room for variation.