1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of being disappointed?

Sep 19, 2017

1. It has happened to me a few times, but I've just sold them to purchase another doll I liked better. I still have most of the dolls I've purchased, so it's not something I worry about too much.

2. I'm currently waiting for my second doll, after feeling a lack of bond with my first doll (Luts Kid Delf Darae). I did this a little differently now, though. I had a character in mind first, and I found the doll based on that character. Originally, I had the intention of purchasing a Feeple60 Chloe. While I had this doll in mind, my inspiration for character development was low. I was frustrated with it, even. But then I saw Angell Studio Cynthia and it's like the gates opened!!! That was my character. Suddenly endless ideas came to me. I've seen photos of Cynthia from every angle and every angle is perfect!!

3. I have felt disappointed with about half of my doll purchases... most notably my very first BJD. I got Iplehouse Eva with faceup A and when I opened the box I found myself very let down. I realized what I really liked most about Eva was the faceup and not so much the sculpt. So I sold Eva and bought Iplehouse Carina with that same faceup and loved it. If I get a doll and my initial reaction at unboxing isn't positive the doll goes up for sale. For me, trying to make myself like it only delays the inevitable. If it's a case of the faceup being disappointing but the sculpt is great I hold onto it until the faceup can be fixed in the future (a future that never seems to come, lol). Disappointment can be a pretty common pitfall of this hobby but I find it makes the dolls that are kept seem all the more special.

#23 PennyDes, Sep 20, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    4. I haven't received my first BJD yet, but I've had this disappointment during my time collecting for other doll lines. If it happens with me and a BJD, I'm just going to try to look at it the same way I've looked with those other dolls: maybe I was meant to own this doll so that I could get it to the home it truly belongs in, not because it ultimately belongs with me. I've actually had that experience happen with several dolls, so I know it's definitely possible!

You just never know what will happen with any doll, and I imagine BJDs are included in that: sometimes the ones you dream about don't click with you when you get one, and other times a doll you've never looked twice at before suddenly explodes onto your radar and becomes your all-time favorite when you give in and buy them. That's a big part of the fun, for me.

5. Is it so easy to sell a doll? I've never done that, but it looks like you need to drop the price quite a bit?

6. It depends on the doll and its condition. Rare, limited sculpts usually go for the same or more than the original value. Similarly popular sculpts like certain minifies sell pretty well especially with nice faceups. Older yellowed and damaged dolls are harder to sell.

7. Hi everyone, I'm returning after a long absence for the BJD world. I have bought so many dolls and only a small number of them - like 6!! - did I take out to dress and display and play with. The others all remained in their boxes untouched. I realized that the larger dolls intimidate me like SOOM Heliot and Amber - I prefer the cutesy Rosen Lied types. But now my house is just cluttered with unopened huge doll boxes -

8. Yeah, that's so-so true! It also helps to look at the different style of make-up. I just wish it was easier to find more reference photos.

9. Yeah, sometimes there tends to be a little photoshopping/lighting effect going in the stock images. I like to watch multiple review videos to get a better understanding of the doll :) I have fell in love with doll stock photos only to realise he real think ain't so great.

10. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen with my first dolls! Though, I am doubting it will, I'm so excited for them ^_^ I buy them specifically to customize and whatnot though, so when they arrive as blank canvases I really like the idea of giving them the personality I come up with for them. We'll see what happens though!

11. I got a Volks SWD Kaede that I didn't bond with, left her in her box for two years and then all of a sudden took her out, started sewing for her and she became one of my favorite. Right now it is the same thing with my Minifee Woosoo I don't obsess over it because I know that I'll come around to her eventually the more time I spend customizing the doll, making wigs and clothes the more I bond with them. Other dolls like my Saint are love at first sight. No way to predict. Very often having is not as thrilling as longing for something.

12. I spend a lot of time with that doll to get over the disappointment. The more time I spend with the doll, the more I will like her.

13. I've so far only been disappointed upon recieving a doll once. She was number limited and my most expensive doll due to being made Soom's "Coffee Black" resin. I was dismayed to realize when I opened her box that she was not the color of black coffee (dark brown) but of grape juice (dark purple). Soom sent her wig after her and I got it a week later. That helped give her the look I'd fallen in love with. Months later I realized I couldn't see her eyes most of the time becuase they were too big. I ordered her smaller ones from Oscardoll Eyes and came up with a story for her. I hope she gets less purple with time, but I love her now.

14. Strangely enough, all the time I have been in this hobby, I have never sold any head at my own, free will. Once I had to let go of a full doll, but I would have loved to keep this head as well.

Basically, I stay away from limiteds. If I am interested in a doll, I wait several weeks if the interst is real or if the sculpt is just fashionable. If it stays in my thoughts, then I search actively for every video or picture I can find.

Although I bought my very first doll very spontaneously. It is a super rare one, and I only knew that I wanted a very realistic an unmistakingly male head. After a while, I found out his body just did not work for me. I wanted to sell the whole doll, but just could not bring myself to do it. So just the body went away, and the head now plays an important role in my crew.

Bodies have come and gone though. I am extremely picky about bodies and have no limitations regarding hybrids.

15. gosh take some pics and put them up for sale in the market place!

16. I had Full Marketplace before but upon my return, was removed and told to wait for a month. So I cannot post in Marketplace yet :(

17. This has happened with a lot of my dolls, the most notable has to be my Youpla Dolls Zopa. I followed his creation from the first few 3D printed models, loved everything about him, and jumped on the preorder as soon as it opened. I had a character concept for him and got his wig etc, then he arrived and.... :sigh I felt nothin. He was too small for me and somehow just didn't work out when I saw him in real life, despite how much I loved pictures of him. He was really cute but I sold him after a while of trying to make it work.
      I've reshelled his character (in girl form) as an Unoa Chibi Roron, and I'm really happy with her so far :3nodding:

18. It happened to me a couple of times. I tend to buy to keep because I'm too lazy to put my dolls up for sale, so I am careful with my purchases, but sometimes things just don't work out. Usually, I will try to give it some time like changing his/her look, giving them a character and stuff. Spending some time and working on the doll, like giving them a new faceup, sometimes also help with the bonding process. But if it has been a couple of months and still... nothing, then I will rehome them, maybe someone else can give them the attention they deserve or bring out their potential better. :(

19. I was desperately afraid that when my grail arrived I would not like her, and that she would not look what I ordered.

20. I always fear that this will happen, but so far it thankfully never has. I was really terrified with my Dollzone Benjamin, since he took so long to get to me that I didn't know if I even wanted him anymore. But once I opened the box, all those fears were dissuaded pretty quickly.

I think the closest I've ever gotten was with the Miracle Doll Zixin head I bought a while ago... He looked really cute in the company pictures, but in person I kind of cringed at how weird he looks. I hoped a faceup would help, but I ended up wiping it right away. I thought he was a lost cause, but then I did another faceup on him and now he's one of my very favorites.