1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

feelings towards hybrids

Jan 9, 2007

?
  1. go for it! greater room for creativity!

2. absolutely not! it's an insult to the artist!

3. i'm indifferent.

4. other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I say to each their own, I have one hybrid, its an ego project yeon on a volks sd body and it matches so well, it seems fitting :) I've been noticing a lot of switching parts especially with the soom fantasy parts and I've been enjoying seeing what people come up with. I like it myself :)

2. Some hybrid dolls can't be helped as there are a handful of companies that only sell heads. Many other companies practically encourage hybrid dolls when they list skin/body compatibilities..Most people will hybrid their dolls because of cost and/or because of character accuracy.
      My GomiDoll Igon has a Volks SD13 body because GomiDoll doesn't make bodies. And I'm planning to have a Leeke Adolf on a 68cm Popodoll body simply because the character is supposed to be very tall. So I don't mind it; it's my doll after all! Customization is the great thing about this hobby.

3. aside from the fact that i like satyrs and pans , my soom glot was originally rescued by my friend and I am so happy about this. I personally dont think i would make a hybrid doll. taking or selling just the pieces of such pretty dolls that are whole makes me feel sad.

4. I honestly find it very cool. o3o I mean...that's one of the great things about BJDs: how customizable they are. <3 I wouldn't mind having one of my own if it meant having a doll that was perfect in my mind, ehehe. ~

5. I buy bodies that's poseable to my standards and physically appealing to my ideals. Heads are bought according to whether I like them, fit my characters, etc. Not all companies with the "perfect" head for my character will have the matching body to go with it. For me, it's necessary to make hybrids to have dolls that meet my desires.

6. Sometimes, it's a necessity - e.g. with Minimee heads. Often, they'll look comically large on the DIM body. And also, in my case, I don't really like that body for the heads that I got. It just doesn't fit. It's a nice body but just not right for a warrior-type. ;)

7. Well I was originally against it because I sort of thought, "When I get one doll it has to be perfect all around. Head, face, and body." When I searched for my first doll I turned down a lot of dolls because I was simply not interested in the body.

However now that I have had my Luella at home for a few weeks.... I can totally see the draw to swap out bodies. I love her head and I thought I would love her body but I totally want a different body for her. Hence my heightened interest in the new Victoria Frances doll.

8. I like the idea of hybrids. It gives the owner so much more freedom to create the exact character desired. And it's really good for picky people like myself, that need to be satisfied with the face and body equally.

9. Hybridizing is something I don't really mind. Sometimes I discover new characters that way. And it's also something that just couldn't be helped since I went crazy for Migidoll sculpts and only go for dolls of the 64-70cm range.

10. I voted "other" because some companies sell heads only, meaning you have no choice but to make a hybrid. The fact that not all heads come with fitting bodies used to put me off, but on the other hand, sometimes you like a head of a certain brand but the body is just not fitting the character you want it for. I've just bought a head that I like; now I'm going to buy a body that I like. And just pray they are a good match ;)...

11. I have three hybrids. One because it was from a company that just sells heads, one because I grew tired of her old body and wanted a better one, and the last because I just felt like it :B
      Hyrbids make so much room for creativity and personal taste. Every day I see people talking about dolls, saying they like the head, but not the body and vice versa. I think it's great they can actually get the exact doll they like by making a hybrid.

12. I think hybrids are fun. It makes your doll unique and makes it all the things you like which is what matters most.
      I don't really like the internal skeleton of volks's Dollfie Dreams so I find the obitsu skeletons with the Dollfie Dream outer shell very interesting.

13. Hybrids can be great when done well but finding that right head with the right body + resin matching can be a nightmare. *_*
      Thank DOA for resin matching threads and all of the wonderful members who contribute to them for the sake of at least giving some idea of what resins really are and are not close to a match! :3nodding: