1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

feelings towards hybrids

Jan 9, 2007

?
  1. go for it! greater room for creativity!

2. absolutely not! it's an insult to the artist!

3. i'm indifferent.

4. other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. All but one of my dolls is a hybrid, and I have 8 dolls.

And a lot of floating heads >.>

2. Well, since as of now I'm one of the two people who voted against hybrids, I feel like I should say something. ^^;

When I choose a doll, I really choose the whole doll. If there is a head I like, I look at the body that's meant to go with it before I decide if I want to buy it or not. I take the body into account a great deal.

I would make a hybrid doll if both parts were from one company, for example replacing a Volks SD13 body with a Volks SD10 body, or swapping boy/girl bodies from the same company. I do have two artist's head that do not have default bodies, so I have to come up with something. Sometimes it can't be helped. But generally I very strongly prefer to have them match. I would not, for example, buy a used hybrid doll. I enjoy admiring other people's though. ^^

Edit: I think the way the poll is worded kind of skews the perception of the question. It's kind of like asking, 'would you rather be creative or judgemental?' Of course I don't think hybrid dolls are an insult to anyone.

3. There are several companies out there that only make heads (Real Missing Link, anyone?) - so in order to have a complete doll, it has to be a hybrid of a necessity!

I have two hybrids - Amalthea, who's an RML K-02 head on a DollZone 1/4 body (excellent resin match for NS, if anyone's wondering), and Galhaia who is a CP Juri 05 head on a Volks Dollfie Dream 1 body.

Hybrid bodies are sometimes the best way to avoid "disembodied heads syndrome"! ;)

4. dezarii: thank you so much for that thought out response! and i definitely agree with most of what you said.

5. I picked indifferent because sometimes I think it is fine and other times it isn't.

I don't like it when the head and body aren't in proportion, or have extreme stylistic differences, or a really bad match of neck thickness and head. Other times I think it looks great and can be a way to get a mature body for a fairly mature head that only comes on a preteen body, or vice versa, or to do a gender change. For example, I love MNF Shiwoo girls - MNF Shiwoo can be a mischeivous guy or a very flirty girl. I also like Narae head on new Souldoll body as a more well-endowed Narae.

I also think hybrids can be a way for people to recycle heads they are attached to, and a way for people with limited funds to have the head they want without the cost of the full doll.

Carolyn

6. While I can respect the standpoint of the artists in liking to see their creations remain intact, I also respect the fact that once a person has purchased a doll, it truly is theirs to do with as they see fit. That said, had I not fallen in love with two heads...I'd probably be in the category of no hybrids. I really like how cohesive my other dolls feel. I hope I can achieve the same results on my own.

7. Oh I was going to add the "what if your head is made by an artist who doesn't do bodies?" (as one of mine is) issue but I see that Arkady beat me to it :)

Actually, a few months ago I attempted to get out of the hybrid camp by purchasing a body for a previously hybrid-ed head. From the same company that built the head to begin with. I was so thrilled bo be making him into a "real doll" again. Until I saw the difference in resin color between the old "natural skin color" and the new "natural skin color" :(

So... poor old Toshi is a hybrid again, on a Volks body that matches him perfectly, and his former body -- the one that was SUPPOSED to match, is under a head that does match :)

That matching thing can be such a bugaboo!

8. Well, I suppose if you put a Dollshe head on a Dollmore model body it would be an insult to the artist. :sweat
      Personally, I feel that these dolls are made to be customized and therefore hybrids can be a way to create an even more unique doll. I have hybrids out of necessity (because the artist only makes heads), and hybrids by preference because I want a specific body/head type for a specific pre-existing character. I have a Unique Ai that I wouldn't swap parts on because she came as a complete finished one of a kind work already. Otherwise, even Volks expects people to customize their limiteds. If a company is willing to sell separate doll parts or customizing tools that seems like a green light to me. :)

9. Building on what UrsaLunar said, I'm gearing up to sell designs for dolls. One of my models will be a white Dollstown Bandi head on a white CP girl body. CP is so much more popular a company, that I decided it would be more useful for me to have a CP body than a Dollstown body. Besides that, it was pretty much a necesity, because I got the head with no body, and it seems nearly impossible to find a headless Dollstown body!

The one thing I'm a stickler for on hybrids is a color match between the different resins. Even changing heads and bodies between different batches of resin from the same company can creat mis-matches. My Bandi head and her CP body were a perfect match. It took me two tries with my Dreaming Shiwoo girl to get a body that matched her head, and both bodies I tried were CPs...

10. But hybrids can feel whole and cohesive as well. I have a dolkot kiss head on a volks sd13 body, and I tend not to think of her as a hybrid, but as my Petra. She feels whole. It's when the doll doesn't feel whole that I think I'd worry.

11. when i first found out about BJD's they immediatley came off as something you use your imagination with. the great thing about BJDs is how the options are infinite. XD

12. Like some of the others who have posted here, I have a head from a company that only makes heads. I would have preferred a Volks body for my kill_U 2nd, since his resin was designed to match it, but the Custom House body is also a wonderful match. I am very pleased with him overall, because his body is just a little bit different from my other boys.

However, I fall in love with a doll's face first, then the body. I much prefer to have the head on the body it is intended for by the creators. But I enjoy looking at other people's creative hybrids, even if they would not be right for me personally.

Linda S.
      galatia9

13. <quote galatia9> However, I fall in love with a doll's face first, then the body. I much prefer to have the head on the body it is intended for by the creators. But I enjoy looking at other people's creative hybrids, even if they would not be right for me personally.

i feel the same way. it was until recently i started reserching the bodies for the dolls i like.

14. One of my boys is a hybrid - I really am not a stickler as to exact tone match as long as the proportions and character are kept. My MNF has a default body because it suits him. My CP boy has a SD10 body because it suits him.

15. I didn't even realize there were people who feel that "hybrid dolls" are "an insult to the artist". I think, like most people, I dislike it when the skin tones don't match, but aside from that, I don't see anything offensive in mixed dolls.

16. I have no problems at all. Some people just prefer certain bodies, or have a character that would lend itself to a different kind of body, either more muscular or mature, or more slender and youthful. As long as the resin matches and it's proportinate, I don't see any reason to discourage hybrids.

17. I have two CP/Obitsu hybrids, I see nothing wrong with it. the reason I bought the Obitsu bodies is because...well they are cheaper and also I have a love/hate thing with CP bodies.
      I bought one body from someone on here and no matter what I did, wiring, sueding, the knees still buckled and the girl would flip over at the waist, it was so frustrating.
      and then I tried a Domuya body, that was a kewl body but frustrating also..so I went with Obitsu..
      If I had known how to put the resin on a DD2 I would have bought that, but thanks to someone here that did a video on how, it could be in the future for someone...but it depends on the skin tones matching.

18. I'm all for hybrids!! I've got two DIM/Iplehouse hybrids, and a Soom/Souldoll hybrid. I just preferred the look of the Iplehouse and Souldoll bodies to the originals. I want the resin to match well though.

19. ^^ I like hybrids. Just about any potential doll of mine could be a hybrid if I want a different body.

XD I'm having a bit of trouble with resin match here and there, though...

20. Hmm...maybe the original artist/creator might be offended, but too bad, since he can't exactly stop the buyers from doing what they want, now, can he? :) If the artist's feelings are a pressing concern for you, you could always email him.

As for me, I'm indifferent. If a hybrid suits an owner's means/ vision/ preferences, then go for it.

I have a pseudo-hybrid, actually...a Volks SDC head on a Volks MSD body. I bought the SDC whole, sold the body, and bought an MSD body for it. I'm sure people who prefer mature dolls might think my decision was strange. But I knew I wanted the doll to be a young child, so it was a decision I made happily. :) I've contemplated BF/Volks and Volks/Serendipity hybrids, too, although I never went ahead with either.