1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

feelings towards hybrids

Jan 9, 2007

?
  1. go for it! greater room for creativity!

2. absolutely not! it's an insult to the artist!

3. i'm indifferent.

4. other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.

1. Oh I know they can! :) I've seen some great ones. I believe your girl is whole...I'm talking from a personal standpoint--I just don't know that I have the experience with enough companies or a fortitude of dolls to base my choices off of in order to make the correct body selections for my heads...if that makes sense? I want the heads to make sense on the bodies I find for them. One is an artist's head that I want to do great justice because it was the first boy-head to win me over...and the other head is a female of such sweet disposition that I have to find a perfect, charming body for her, too.

2. I say go for it! Why settle for something you don't want? I absolutely love my Dollmore/Obitsu hybrid :)

3. heh, i normally don't pay much attention to bodies. First off, their clothed most of the time, so you can't see the details. Secondly (and i speak from doll makig experience) there is only so much variety you can have with a doll body in order to have it pose well. There has been however one instance when i was shopping around for Mancha's body, and i found one that i just fell in love with. I didn't care if the resin matches, i coudln't care less if it had chips cracks, etc...i just had to have it. And i still LOVE it. I've actually stopped noticing the terrible difference in skin tones even.

4. Go for it. This hobby is all about customizing so that YOU can create YOUR dreamdoll.

5. I'd say that, as an artist, I'd at least be happy that someone used part of my work. Just because you have a hybrid doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like any part of their work--it just might not be right for what you're planning to do.

I find that a lot of the time, even if I love all the parts of a doll, I don't necessarily like them all together.

And it's especially hard when I have a specific character in mind because often I have to consider height and build, etc...

6. I think you should just go for it. I have at least one hybrid planned: a Domuya flexi body with a Soah head. And some time in the future I plan to get a DD1 (modded to be strung) and sculpt my own head for her.
      I doubt it would be an insult to the artist. I mean as an artist myself I don't mind if someone uses a piece in something of theirs as long as they give credit where its due.

7. I love hybirds, obviously it must match in terms of the resin tone and look relatively in proportion. Like people have stated some doll companies only make heads, or the body may not be to your liking. I mean you are paying these companies, and as long and you love whatever part of the doll you buy from them I think they should be happy. I also think we can add making a doll the opposite gender, but I don't think doll companies mind I mean Luts made a male Cherry and male Lishe, which I thought was quite awesome ^^~

8. Actually, DD1s are strung - it's the DD2 that has the internal skeleton.

9. Lol leave it to me to get confused :sweat

10. Oh pooh - I clicked on the wrong one! :doh

11. It depends. When the hybrid looks well, the skintones don't differ too much, then I have nothing against it.

12. Well I put 'other' Simply because for me I really like the bodies and heads to match up from the same artist/company....BUT I can also see the appeal that ppl have to totally customise a doll to suit their needs....:)

13. I don't really understand much when people say that hybrids are an insult to the artists. Some people mod their dolls quite heavily, altering the shape and scuplt of the face and body, and I've never seen anyone say THAT is an insult. Do what makes you happy with your doll, because that's the only way you'll get it the way you want, you know?

14. I have never actually heard anyone say that.

I chose that option though because I prefer to have dolls that aren't hybrids, whenever possible.

I think the 'insult to the artist' part is very poorly phrased. It almost implies that if you pick the second choice, you think non-hybrid dolls are morally superior and are against creativity.

15. Imagine you find the head of your dreams, a beautiful doll that is everything you ever wanted. But their body, you have heard, has horrible posing, and you don't really like the ways the joints look, or something else is aesthetically unpleasing about it. Another company though, has a beautiful body, perfect posing, perfect EVERYTHING! But no, you HAVE to stick with the original unpleasant body. Because its the right thing to do, right?

Yeah, who is going to do that? Not me! I think if you are unhappy with anything about your doll, especially since they cost so much to begin with, you should by no means be forced to "deal" because it might hurt the feelings of the artist (who, by the way, will probably NEVER know you even did such a thing). Hybrids make so many combinations possible. This hobby is about what YOU as a collector want, so it is up to you to make sure you get what you want! :D

16. I have an Elf Yder head on a Soom body but I never considered him anything other than my Elf Yder. *shrug* To me it's the head that really makes my boys anyway so I haven't even thought of him as a hybrid. Leo's head is Leo, his body is just that thing that makes him sit and point at stuff. *L* (And he's getting a Luts body later this year anyway.)

I guess in short I don't see what the big deal is.

17. I voted "other" but I basically agree w/ Dezarii. 1 of my dolls is a hybrid but was sold as head only (no body available) so I had to find one. I spent an inordinate amount of time matching his head in the end to a Volks oldresin SD13 boy body (perfect match really no complaints). I also have a doll who was assembled from parts from the same company my SD10/old f14 girl. I would consider making parts from teh same company a diff. gender but am not interested in combining parts where the resin, or fit, or aesthetic sensibility clearly does not match.

I personally feel sad when someone destroys a one off artist creation, but all said and done if you bought it it's yours to do as you please with.

18. I'm semi-indifferent; it's not something I'd do unless to save money or if I saw a doll with an awesome face but a horrible body...

19. Lorri (my BC Lucas Head) is on a Luts boy body because I originally intended to buy a Moon... but fell in love with the BC Lucas head after having already bought the Moon body.

I think it gives Lorri a more elegant feel than he might have had with a Volks body, and I love it!

20. I think hybrids are wonderful.

They allow you to take all that you love about a doll, or multiple dolls, and improve upon it to your own specifications.

It doesn't mean you think the work of the artist was lacking in something, it just means that your own personal taste wanted something different.