1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

feelings towards hybrids

Jan 9, 2007

?
  1. go for it! greater room for creativity!

2. absolutely not! it's an insult to the artist!

3. i'm indifferent.

4. other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I generally don't like hybrids, myself, and I've tried them, believe me!

For one thing... the colors often aren't a complete match. For me it's crazy to have a doll with a head and a body (or parts thereof) two (or more!) different colors. While I wouldn't quite go so far as to say it's an insult to the artist, I like a doll to have a seamless "gestalt" about them. Hybrids with one esthetic style of head and another esthetic of body just bug me, it's distracting, the "vibe" coming from the doll isn't right. And the last thing... if I pay such big bucks for a doll, I want everything to match perfectly! I spent years making Frankendollies of antiques trying to restore them or whatnot. I don't want to have to do that with new dolls.

All of that being said, I do have a couple of 'hybrids' but that's only because the makers didn't make bodies at all. One is my Sado U-Da girl, Alba, and the other is my RML R20J boy, Tjalfe. It took two tries for Tjalfe, and three tries for Alba to find the right bodies.

Raven
      (chose "other")

2. I don't have a problem with hybrids. For me, personally, it would bug me, as I used to own hybrids and things like skintones not matching bothered me enough to sell the doll parts and buy a whole doll. But if that is something that dosn't bug you like it did me, then more power to ya! ;)

I *think* Volks heads work well with Domuya bods. I am not positive, but I've seen quite a few Volks heads on Domuya bods, so, I think Volks would work. I'm not sure about Dollmore, I think the skintone would match, but I'm not so sure it will fit on the body.

3. Well, that sounds promising - I do understand that color might not match even with the same manufacturer, so I am not really focusing on the color, but I am hoping not to have to mod too much. She's a very pretty head, Sylvia ...

The head is a harder decision to make than the body! lol!

4. Hmm. Well, I *sort of* have hybrid dolls. I put my Jun T on an SD10 body, since I think her small head looks better on the shorter body. And my MSD is on an SDC boy body, which is VERY different than the MSD body. So . . . they're still all Volks, but, they aren't as they were intended to be.

I like the idea of hybrid dolls, but I am very leery of actually getting one myself. I am PICKY about resin match -- which is why all my dolls have heads and bodies by the same company. Unless a resin match was virtually perfect, I wouldn't want a hybrid doll. Expensive as they are, I like everything about my dollies to look just right. And even slightly mismatched resin would drive me nuts. :sweat

But I would make an exception for a company that only makes heads, and casts them to match a certain company's resin pretty nicely (ex: Elysium).

I envy you guys that can just give your doll some blushing or be happy with a not quite perfect match. So many more options! ;)

5. I have a hybrid doll, so I voted for the "yes" option. :D

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...I think Weros (Juri 06) fits great on the Bobobie girl body (I modded the breasts off) because I wanted a hermaphrodite, and the fact the body is taller then a lot of girl dolls, and has large feet, helps with that. :)

The colors don't match perfectly, but honestly, real people don't match perfectly either. :D I'm doing some blushing on the body to even it out, but I'm very happy with it. Admitedly, it was mostly a cost thing for me, but I love the joints on the Bobobie body, so I'm happy. :D

~Anrui

6. I'm rather indifferent. I had thought of getting a different body for a different head once, but I eventually fell in love with the head that would have gone on the body anyway. And it doesn't bother me either way what people do with their dolls... I mean, it's what they wanted. My only gripe is if it looks bad, lol.

7. i don't hate hybrids.. but i'd still find it strange putting a head from a certain company on a body of a different company.. hehe.. but that's just me. I'd been wanting to get Renji, CP Breakaway, a more muscular body for a long while before Luts came out with the Senior Delfs, but have always been dallying around with which company to go for. Now that Luts has released the Senior Delf, i'm going to stick to the same company body for my Renji.. I just feel better about it this way.. hehe..

8. I'm all for owners customizing their dolls in any way possible :)

Not that said customizations always work out for the best, but I love seeing the different things that people do with their dolls. And the attempts that don't turn out exactly as planned can still be useful learning tools, both for the owner and for other people. I realize that mistakes in this hobby are expensive, but to me, plunking down wads of cash for something, and still not having quite what you want out of it is at least as much of a shame as ruining it. And even if a doll is ruined to you, chances are that someone else out their would love to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

I have a few hybrids in mind that I may try for myself later this year. First order of business is to find a girl body that I like for a DIM boy head.

9. I like Hydrids cos i may like a head which has an expensive body which i can't afford then i'll put the head on a cheaper body.

10. I love finding the perfect doll, for what I want. Sometimes it is made to order- like my half elf Limhwa. Perfect body and face. Sometimes it needs a little tweeking- like sanding the cheeks off my Lishe. And sometimes it is a full hybrid- different body head and or hands. Like my Saint, dollstown hybrid.
      I love the hunting for the perfect parts to make my perfect doll. Its all in the thrill of the chase! I think of me as the artist. I hope I am not offending the original sculpter, but I hadnt thought about it to intently.

11. I've already stated that I love hybrids, but I do have a quandary with my most recent addition. He's a Yukinojo head on an Elysium body. The resin match and proportion is great, but unfortunately this probably makes him a shuffling graceless horror in the eyes of Volks. I was desperately hoping that the SD17 would work for him, but having seen head-swapping photos this is not going to happen. I worked very very hard on him and I would love for him to be a doll I can show off at a Volks event (like my girlfriend's SD16 Tony), but it's just not possible. When a company is sensitive about their dolls, it does make me a little uncomfortable to mess with them.

12. Everyone should go with what they like best - hybrid or original, at the end of the day it's YOUR doll. YOU are the only one that really needs to love what you have.

13. My girl is a hybrid! She's a Serendipty 14 girl and DOC Twingkey head. I have a floating RML head I'm planning on giving a SDC body as well; I think there is room for 'full' dolls and for hybrids in this hobby, and both have their place. :)

Enjoy your dolls and love them as your own..I can't imagine the creators wanting anything more of the art they brought into the world.

^_^

14. Sometimes, the doll's head on their default body just doesn't work for you. I love the sculpt of the Soom boy body, love how it poses and I love my NS Namu head to itty-bitty pieces, but I'm going to get him a different body because his head is on the larger size and Soom bodys are reletively slight. On the other hand, I have an BW Elf Yder head, and I personally think he looks silly on the Luts body because he has a very small head, so I am getting him a Soom body...
      Also, because of the wonder of hybridization, I will be able to have Unoas in body types suiting their personalites, and for a price I can afford.
      And as for the artists being offended, I am still using all the parts of the doll, and why should they be upset about this and not about some of the other habits of the doll communinty? Is it really that much different in concept than buying a designer outfit, then wearing the pieces as sepparates? Or someone customizing their car with parts made by a different company?

15. I think its totally fine if you want a particular look, but at least try to get the resin a close match and make sure the head fits on the neck properly. I'm also kinda anal...so I don't own any hybrids because I like all my dolls to be complete and original as possible. But like...girl heads on boy bodies of the same company is ok with me.

But I've seen some people do hybrids that just do not look seamless at all. The resin doesn't match...or the head is too small and so it sits on top of the curve of the neck and looks bad.

16. BJDs are designed to be as customizable as the owner wants, so I don't see a reason why that can't extend to the body as well. ;) It's your doll, so go ahead and do what you want.

17. i have one a obitsu hakaru head on a d-flex body both were gifts i love her so much even though she does not match colour wise but then some people dont eather, still with the right blushing hopefully it will not be quite so noticible

18. Well, my Iru hast to be a hybrid, since his head is an artist-head, so I am definately not against it.
      My other two dolls and the ones that will come one day all have the body of their company. But that's just because I'm lazy... and a bit scared the match won't be perfect.

19. well, these dolls are meant to be after the vision of the owner. If this were not the case, then everyone would end up w/ the same dolls, thus ending the real magic too bjd. If you have a limited doll and keep it the way it is, great!! but if you want to make it more personal, for you, then go for it!! but it's the fact that you can choose that make these dolls so wonderful in my opinion. If the artist that made the head/ faceup/ body ect., is offended by that...well, in all honesty, perhaps its better for them to find another proffession where their art will not be touched, because whether they like you changing/ modding your doll or not is not the point.