1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

feelings towards hybrids

Jan 9, 2007

?
  1. go for it! greater room for creativity!

2. absolutely not! it's an insult to the artist!

3. i'm indifferent.

4. other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Totally agree with Gwenevere! I have hybrid and original dolls. And I love them both.

2. I love Hybrid dolls and mods, they are so much fun to see! I think that they embody what BJDs (in my opinion) are all about! I got into BJD's because I loved the individuality and the versatility of them. I think the fact that you can change the doll any way you please is awesome. I highly doubt that the artists are offended as well, it's their job to create something that is meant to be versatile and being offended by their job is just silly. The artists are being paid for a set job where they knew what exactly they were being hired to do. It's not an issue.

3. Whatever makes the doll owner happy should be the answer. I'm into the versitility of these dolls, different faces, hair, eyes, bodies, hands etc. That's the fun of it. No more clone dolls for me!!!!

4. I don't mind Hybrid's at all, Helios is now a Hybrid he's a DoC Too on a Volks Msd boy body and the resin matches. It helped me a lot getting him that body since now I won't feel the need to sell him since I didn't like his old one.
      I'm not sure if it counts but Will (SDC Miko) is now on a Msd Body. I traded with my friend so now Kou her Hewitt II is on a Sdc body. ^^ I don't mind since I wanted my boys to be around the same height =3

5. I second this!
      Besides, without hybrids no one would have a boy lishe, or a girl elf-chiwoo!
      And I wouldn't have my Fran!!!!!
      I love hybrids, It just bugs me sometimes how resin tones don't match!!!
      That doesn't make me dislike the hybrid though, it just bugs me that companies can't all have somewhat similar resin tones. And even then though I do like the different resin tones, especially differing tans... Okay I'm babbling now...

6. I like hybrid dolls, as long as the skin tones match. I put my Ryung head on an Obitsu body(I don't care for the Elfdoll body) and she is lovely. I have a BW VDES head on a Dollzone body and the match is great. I think it is wonderful to be able to make your doll your own by customizing it.

7. I'm all for hybrids. It's lame enough that I have the single most common doll on this forum, I want to make him stand out from the army :sweat

If the doll you dreams of had a certain face, find that face. If it has a certain body, find that body. There's no reason why anyone shouldn't mix and match to make the doll they've always imagined.

8. In all honesty, I haven't found a complete doll that satisfies me enough for me to dish out $500+. I'm still working on my first doll, and she will most definitely be hybrid. I can't imagine owning one that didn't meet my wants-it's not worth it. Putting so much effort and money into such a project should end in satisfaction and happiness, if building a hybrid is what it takes (as in my case it does), then do so. Anything else is pointless.

9. A lot of companies now sell headsculpts without a body (Migidoll, for example), so hybrid is almost certainly a must there. Personally I like keeping heads to their respective bodies from the same company if possible, just because it's usually a better match in fit, proportions, and skintone. In general I don't have a problem with hybrids either, though.

10. I think hybrids are great. It's a bit more work, finding heads and bodies that are compatible or making them compatible, plus resin matching. But I like how it opens so many more options. I've found that some companies have heads I really like, but I'm not as fond of their bodies, so it only makes sense to use a body I like better.

11. I put "other" because, even tho I really enjoy seeing pictures of some of the hybrids people have made, I am new enough to BJDs that I am not quite confident in my ability to pull one off yet. I live in a rural area and am probably at least 400 miles from the nearest collector so seeing resins from dolls other than my three for matching up is impossible. Also, I have an almost OCD thing about buying a complete doll that I love.

I could, and probably will at some future point, overcome this feeling, but since this is a purely fun hobby I am not going to work at it.

I don't see why an artist would be offended since these dolls are meant to be customized.

12. I am very much pro-hybrid. ^_^ At the moment half my dolls are hybrids and I have a couple more planned for floating heads. I find myself mixing and matching to get just the right combination. I even have one doll who has parts from three different companies! :sweat

13. I have absolutely no problem with hybrids at all ^^ Sometimes I'll fall in love with a head, but the body won't be to my tastes, like the Lati Ryu and Rei heads I'm waiting for now. The heads are absolutely wonderful, but the bodies are just too tall for me personally. After some searching, I found the Dollzone bodies are a nice match for Lati Blue heads, which is wonderful for me since I really like the DZ bodies quite a bit. If the DZ body ends up being cheaper, well, that's just an added bonus I guess ^^

I'm only a little weird about hybrids in that I don't like buying a whole doll then selling off the original body to get a new one. If it comes to me as a whole, I sorta have this feeling that I should keep them whole, even if I don't particularly like their original body. It's kind of like, that's who they are and they should be allowed to stay that way. xP That's why I love it so much when company's sell heads seperately because then I really have that freedom to get them a body from a different company if I so choose. ^^

14. I'm all for hybrids =] While i dont actually have any right now, i've got one in the works (ie: saving for her body) I got a school B head at nyc dolpa, and i really dont care for the volks bodies, nor do i care to dish out another 500 when i already spent 200 on her head alone. I'll spend a lot on dolls, but it doesnt seem very right for me to spend so much on th ebody if i dont like it very much ^^;; B will likely be getting a B&G body, since i've herad the resinmatch is quite good, and hey, its half the price and i like how the body looks.

Of course, the only issue i've got in making her a hybrid is what will happen when next years nyc dolpa rolls around and my lovely volks school head is sitting on a non-volks body when they seem pretty adament about the "non-contraband dolls" within the dolpa >>;; she'll just have to wear a lot of clothing XD;;;

15. LOL. Some of us owners don't have a choice!
      It's either hybrid, or your doll stays as just a head.

16. Both of my dolls are hybrids and I am planning more hybrids in the future. ;) I love them! That way, I can get the head style I like best, with the body mold. Too many times have I told myself how much I adore a head, only to find that the body did not appeal too much to my tastes. For one example, I adored the Soom Dimo head and felt that it would look perfect for my character with a little mouth-opening mod- but I've never liked Soom bodies, and I especially wanted a very posable body. So a Dimo hybrid with a Domuya flexibody... Perfect! And I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

17. considering half my boys are hybrids of one sort of another... I'm all for them. I build dolls based off of role play characters, and some of them just don't fit the faces with the bodies they come with ~_~.. Incubus, who will be a sdf bliss, is supposed to be very tall and VERY skinny.. and that muscley, short sdf body is just not gonna work, so I'm searching for other options. Orrrr my woosoo I got, as just a head.. it would have been such a horror to try to find a woosoo body, AND I wanted double joints, so I opted for the type 3 body. or like my k-doll karon.. they don't MAKE bodies XD sooo every k-doll is technically a hybrid. It's really unavoidable, and I see absolutely no problems in making hybrid dolls.

I also don't think the artists care all that much if you're switching heads and bodies around. luts actually said when they came out with the sdf body to buy seperately, they did it so you could 'make the doll you wanted!' so I'd guess that says something haha

18. One of my girls is a hybrid, and without sticking her on another company's body I'd never have gotten the look I needed for her. Until Volks starts making huge, muscular female bodies that tower over the boys they'll never have a body that suits her: as it is she's on a male Domuya flexibody: has enormous biceps and some fantastic stomach-muscles and is tall enough to dwarf some of my smaller boys: absolutely perfect match for how she's supposed to look. Since this hobby is all about customisation to make your doll exactly how you want him or her, I'm all in favour of the whole thing :)

19. I don't mind hybrid dolls as long as the parts color match and have good proportions. Personally I have an hybrid liebchen - fancyboots liebchen head on a lati blue body, I really prefer the new body which is nicer and more posable as well as taller and skinnier. Hybrids can be made for many reasons so I support them as long as they meet the above criterias.

20. I agree with this statement.

The first of my two dolls is a hybrid and I love him:)
      I concentrate on the character and the mold fitting the character quite a bit.
      I knew the default body for the head would not work so I found one that would.
      I find the body as important as the head and see nothing wrong with customizing dolls that are made to be customized.;)