1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding BJDs in the strangest places

Nov 29, 2007

1. Apparently there are about 5 or more BJD owners at my school... o____O I was tottaly baffled when I saw someone walking down the halls with one. Then again it is an art school.. but.. still... my school? o____o;;;

2. A local church, of all places, has a BJD nativity. I'm wondering if the pastor is aware that the shepherds, Joseph, et al are anatomically correct?

3. At the local dollfair (not BJDs), there were some German wooden BJDs, and some of the ladies had heard of the Asian ones. Apparently, one lady there owned some, but I couldn't find her. DX I bought some clothes from a lady familiar with them, though and they fit my MSD just perfectly. <3

4. Well, I've only ever seen BJD-related things or references three times, and one was in a lolita store, where there's a giant photo on the wall of a girl wearing one of their dresses, holding a bjd, but that one's not that unexpected since lolita fashion and culture can be linked with bjds. Another, is in a dollar store, where in the toy section, there was a cheap little plastic cellphone, and the package said "dollie girl fashion forever love" or something strange (you know how dollar store packaging is... such strange scentances you'll find!) and some of the phones had a picture of a cheap-looking barbie, and some... has a bjd! I'm not sure what model she was, but it definately was one. Another, was at the asian night market where they had little button-pins and they had blythe, and volks nono dolls! I bought some, maybe I'll post some pics.

edit:
      YES! This is the toy cellphone that I saw! I remember the "Benign Girl" label on it!'

edit AGAIN (sorry, I keep forgetting things): I ALSO saw a photoshoot with BJDs in a magaine that features really unique fashion shoots. The dolls were wearing small scale replicas of Gucci and Louis Vuitton, Prada, and other high-end designer clothing!

5. Ok, don't know if this counts, since it's not really BJD's but it's sort of BJD related!

My and my boyfriend went to meet his best friend's new girlfriend (who it turned out I know from college but that's another story) and she was in the middle of telling me about something and suddenly I said to her 'oh my god, i've just realised, you're wearing a Blythe top...'
      Turned out she'd bought it from George at Asda. ASDA?!! And it was a proper Blythe branded top too - Blythe on the label and everything. I was ASTOUNDED. ASDA :o

6. I love those dollar store! we have one down our mainstreet with this sweet little (litteraly hes a midget almost LOL) chinese man... ANYWAY they had some porciline dolls in that i though i could get for the clothes *hehe* and was just bowsing the other trinkets and saw little lockable diarys with barbies on them. seeming my cousin adores barbies i had a look and there was one with a BJD on the front! i dont know what it was, probably a volks, but she was blond (like that helps ^^;)
      i was very surprised to find anything remotly related this far out in the 'bush' LOL
      *sorry for rambling! :D

7. i was in china town and in one of the store i found a little makeup/pencil case with bjd on it and got it cause it was too cute hehe.

here's my boy showing it off. hehe
      [​IMG]

8. i work at an accessory store,a nd we got a new manager back in june, and when we were gettign to know each other i mentioned one of my hobbies is asian ball-jointed dolls. I am conditioned to follow up this statement with an explaination of them, but about 7 words into the story of what a bjd is, she said "I know" like it was nothing special or remarkable. as it turns out, here sister-in-law collected them too! now, most of us who have bjds still freak out when we find someone else with them, but for her it was as significant as if id said i wore shoes. i myself pooped my pants in shock/delight, but she was realy calm about it >.< made me feel like the 13-year-old i am inside, but now when i talk about my dolls at work there is at least one person who doenst think im completely outta my mind!!!

9. i dont see why it would be a problem... im assuming they ARE dressed, right? ;)

10. Maybe not little baby Yo-Jesus? XD

11. I have seen those dollar store things too....anyone live in Niles, Ohio then? &not;&not; Because that would be awesome.... XD

The only other times that I've seen BJD stuff was in ShojoBeat and in Rozen Maiden. Anyone watch that?

Most of the main characters are SD-sided because they are BJD's.

...I want Suigintou...

Anyway... ^^V

12. Ya, we havea community in my town, but sometimes I wish my own friends that are younger than me(I'm currently the youngest with my group) would buy a doll already! Especially my friends at school, cause then, we can bring our dolls on certain days and SCARE everybody xD

13. Actually, an astounding handful of people at my school were interested in BJDs. I have the tendency to carry around pictures of my dolls in my notebooks because I miss them while away, and I was floored when a girl peered over and called over her friends to check them out. They asked what molds they were, what company they were from, and if they were mine.. it was a very pleasant surprise!

14. I honestly don't know if this counts, but....

When I was playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on my Nintendo DS, I had recently encountered an enemy that was... a BJD! It's simply called a "Living Doll", and the enemy description says that it is a "murderous doll that wanders about in search of living bodies". Creepy yes, but what can I say? There were evil clowns and killer maids in that section of the castle as well. ^^;

The only reason I could even tell that the enemy was a BJD was because it obviously had joints- an a very clear chest joint. So, all other possibilities were ruled out- a strange place to see a BJD indeed. Even if the doll in question is possessed and composed of pixels! :doh

15. I met a girl in a GLBTQ chat a while ago, never mentioned dolls or anything, just chatted over YIM but then a few months after we met, she changed her profile picture to a BJD! If I remember correctly it was a DIM Tender Ean, but i could be mistaken. Totally taken aback. She didnt really know much about them though, just thought they were pretty.

16. I was at Goodwill the other day and whipped out my credit card that has a picture of my Twin Belladonnas on it. The girl who was ringing up my purchase says "Oh! Those are those dolls...I want one!". That is the first time someone has recognized them for what they are. I invited her to join our local meet group. I hope she'll come!

17. Someone has already mentioned Sasori, right?

There are a few things that are not completely BJD about him, like his wrists and the "joint" in his forearm but I think the reference is pretty clear! In some scenes in the Naruto Shippuden anime he's even got "double jointed" shoulders, which is pretty neat. The BJD aspects are a lot easier to see in the manga though, in my opinion.. More attention to detail anyway since sometimes the animation in the anime is really... Wonky.

[​IMG]

18. Ok, here's mine.
      I knew about Haute Doll, and I drooled over it on the net, but I was sure it was only sold in North America. So imagine my suprise when I found a copy in the local news angency. I was amazed. About a week later, I came back with the money and bought it. I was so happy :-)

19. Just today I was looking around in one of those discount $2 stores and I walked past a little keyring/book accessory thing with BJD dolls on the front cover! I did a double take and yelled out loud when I saw them. XD