1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll: custom or default makeup?

Oct 30, 2009

1. I think you should order default face-up once the dolls most of times are a little different in person... and the doll can surprised you and you can like her complete face-up : ) then later you can make some changes when you be sure about what you want really change!

2. Thanks guys for all your opinions!! I thought I would probably just stick with the default, but after reading everyones I think I'll get custom!!! I've been looking around at all the commisioners and there are some awesome ones that do just what I want and it's exciting to tell them what unwanted and make it happen. Hahah so thank you so much everyone!!!

3. :bcupcakeMy first doll was one which came with a faceup. I will only ever buy dolls now with a faceup because I do not have the expertise to do the makeup myself (unfortunately). :)

4. To get your first doll custom or default face-up is purely depends on the owner themselves. It is not a must that one must get your first doll with a default face-up and neither it is a must for your first doll to have a custom one too.

As for me, I chose custom face-up for my first doll, an Iplehouse Mars. I selected custom when I purchased my doll because I wanted him to look exactly like my very own OC. If I were to follow the default, then that doll would not be how I want him to be. So having a default or custom will make a big difference for me because I already had a picture of my very own OC in mind and he has to look exactly how I want him to be n_n

5. I ordered my 1st doll blank and made him a pretty good faceup, see the avatar. And I did it with my second one too. So it totally depends on a situation and skills.

I do not see how first BJD ordered with or without a faceup can be perfect or imperfect. It also depends on the character. If default faceup fits the character - go on, order it! If there are things you dislike - provide her a custom faceup better. Because such thing like a fainty lips may bug you in the future when you would look at your doll.

Anyway it's your decision.

6. My first was a default faceup. I just didn't feel comfortable in dealing with getting a faceup or doing my own on my first.

However-- I did end up tinkering a bit with his faceup after I got him. I wanted slightly darker eyebrows and less sparkles on his eyelids (!!! Looked too much like eyeshadow!). I liked his basic faceup--the lips were perfect, for instance. So it worked out touching him up after I thought about it for a while. But I was glad to have something to go on with the default for my first.

After five years, I still haven't managed to send off any heads for a faceup...! I have only really like a few artists and most of them are too busy or expensive or have stopped doing faceups, so I'm glad not to rely on them. But I think if you know what you're looking for and know of artists you like, it shouldn't be a problem to send your head off.

I'm rather awful and like having my doll ready as soon as possible out of the box, though. And I happen to fall in love with dolls with default faceups, so that's what I usually choose.

7. I got the default face up done for my Arifel because I didn't want my first doll to arrive without any makeup on... dolls (in my opinion) are not very attractive at all without a faceup.

8. For me and my circumstances, I thought getting default makeup would be nice. You know, it's the first BJD you get, you're unfamiliar with how everything works, and usually, you already like the default face up. I knew I could always change it, so I just went with it for my first. After commissioning my first face up, I was more comfortable ordering blank dolls, so that's what I've done since then, except when I absolutely adore the default.

9. I was initially very attracted to this hobby because of the customization aspect, so I got my first boy blank. I figured that I could try painting him myself to see if the hobby really attracted me as much as I thought I did. My first faceup was atrocious, but I loved the painting process, so I knew I had to keep going with it. I'm also just really bothered by the idea of having somebody else doing the painting work for me.

But it definitely depends on your situation. If you're in a position to paint a doll yourself, I'm all for trying it at least once, just so you know if you like it or not. But if you're not, I tend to think a commissionable artist will still do a doll more justice.

10. All my first and only girl has default make up because I had been a little hesitant to do the make up myself. Also, I haven't had the time to go out to buy the proper tools for face-ups [brushes, pastels, MSC, etc], but I'd like to try sometime in the future when I feel more comfortable with my dolls. :)

11. As much as I want Reaiah to arrive to me with face-up, the factory default was way far from the character I had in mind for him. After experimenting with my own face-ups with the 08 Summer Event Head he came with (and going *YECH!!!* with the results >.<'''), I finally mustered up the courage to send his head all the way to China for a custom face-up. Though more costly, I'm beyond pleased with the results and have never regretted my decision. :)

12. It really depends on what you want, and what you could do by your own.

I could buy the companies face-up, but I know I can save some money buy not getting it and just make my own =3
      It makes me practice and I'm less sad if something happens to it.

Right now I am wondering if I should get a face-up for my next one.... but only becasue I want to at least know how they look xP

13. i dont know anyone who can do faceups near me )': so i'll have to do the default faceup if i want anything done.
      i think it looks good for the most part so i'm okay with it:aheartbea

14. When I got my first one, I just got the basic default face-up~ Of course I didn't have much choice. I was at the shop and it was either get her right then and there or pay for the face-up and wait a few weeks x_x In the heat of the moment I just took her with me.
      Though, recently, I've been thinking about finally sending her out for her face-up <3 I love how she looks now, but I think she'd be that much more lovely a prettied up.

15. My first doll have a default Face-up from company since i did not want to wait to see him finish everything.

16. I ordered the default-face up for my first doll. I figured there is so much to learn about BJD's in general, I wanted to wait on painting face-ups.

17. my 1st doll is second hand, so it's custom by the previous owner :)

18. My first doll is going to be ordered with a company face-up. I find that I like LUTS' face-up work, and I have very little painting experience.

19. I would defiently get the default makeup or custom from the company on the first doll. Especially on the first one I want someone experienced doing his makeup. Good luck on deciding!

20. My first doll came with a default face-up. Then my other dolls had custom face-ups. I definitely bonded more to my customed face-up dollies. So in the future, my dolls will probably be all custom-faced ;3