1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll: custom or default makeup?

Oct 30, 2009

1. Got my doll with a default face up. I love her just for how she has looked with it.

2. I think I'd stick with default makeup. If it's not right I can always send it out to be redone, could never do it myself! I think receiving a blank doll would be a bit strange I'm new to the hobby and not really used to seeing them. Maybe in the future if I find a doll that needs something different I will change my mind. Also there seem to be so many people out there doing faceups I want to become more familiar with the process first and find someone perfect!

3. My first doll will arrive blank, since I'm lucky enough to know someone IRL who's really good at doing face ups. :) It'll save me some money (tho I'll pay her) + I get to choose a more customized look for him. If I didn't know anyone, I'd prob get a default face up as well. It would be nice to learn to do my own face ups, but atm I have so many projects running that I don't want to buy materials to yet another one (aka face ups). Plus I hope I'll be happy with just one doll for a while and I don't think I'll be changing the face up too often in the beginning, and buying all the needed stuff for one doll's irregular face ups seems like a waste atm. ^^'

4. I got Näri blank. ^w^ Did her face-up myself too. That's why I like this hobby, customization is cool! It wasn't at all as difficult as I expected it to be. I understand why you'd want the default, though. I thought I'd get it too at first.

5. I'm going to go with default makeup for my first. Learning to do face-ups sounds fun, but there's time to learn (maybe on just a head?) Also, I think my creative side more goes towards the clothes!

6. For me it's going to depend on which doll ends up being my first. If I get the Pukifee then I'll get the blank face to do the face up myself. If I can save up enough to get the Crobidoll first, then he'll definitely come with the default makeup.

7. When I got my first BJD, I was terrified of having to do a faceup or any kind of assembling or modding. So I bought a fully assembled doll with default faceup. Over the years, most of my dolls have come with factory faces, usually because I saw them online and fell in love with the way they looked.

It's only in the last year and a half that I have started painting them myself. I would have started sooner if I had known how much fun it is! My own faceups are not as polished as the default faces or the artist faceups in my collection, but they are uniquely mine, which makes them special in my eyes.

8. i would go with a default. but i have been watching online tutorials about applying makeup, and it looks easy. of course, everything LOOKS easy when you see someone skilled doing it. :D

9. I'm going with a custom faceup once my doll arrives. The default faceup is beautiful, but it doesn't fit my character, or the way I imagine his faceup to be. So I'm sending him to a friend of a friend. :3

10. My First Dolls All Have there default make-up and alot of the time i love the default makeup on the dolls i'm getting. but i do want to get a custom face up on a few one day. i like a few artist that do commissions for them :)

11. My first doll is going to have default makeup because I really do like the default makeup and I wanted him to be finished when he came to me because he IS my first doll. My second doll however is going to come blank and I"ll send him to someone else to get his makeup done because his default makeup really isn't right for the character i've got planned out for him.

12. When I got my first doll I ordered him with company's face up. It is just easier when you start BJD hobby. You don't have to worry about face up. And because I'm not good at face ups so I usually just buy doll who only need clothes and stuff like that.

13. I've been kind of all over the place on this. For one thing, most of my resin union are LEs or Volks or both, so come with faceups. My first still has his default, although he's on the long list of faceups I want to do. The second came with an LE faceup that I wiped and replaced. The third was an MSD kit, so came blank and unassembled. When I started ordering from other companies I sometimes went blank, and sometimes loved the LE faceup. Lately I've been a bit more inclined to order with faceup so I have some time with them as "living" dolls while I get around to them or decide what to do with their faceups. In the very long run it'll mostly be faceups I've done myself around here. I've never commissioned a faceup artist, although I do love some artists' faceups very much. I'm still not quite comfortable with the idea of sending the heads off and would rather have the satisfaction of trying to accomplish the desired result myself. I suspect as I get more money and less time commissioning an artist will start to look pretty attractive though!

Personally, I wouldn't change how I got my first. It was just a lot easier, and as I walked into a store and bought him, I would not be at all inclined to immediately mail his head off somewhere. But some people bond better if they get to be the ones putting on the finishing touches, so it's really based on your own personality.

14. I actually made sure to get a doll that had no faceup... but then I did paint so I wanted to start practicing faceups as soon as I could. The only dolls I have bought with faceups are Bluefairy dolls, as I wanted the set~XD I washed their faceups off as soon as I got them however. I love doing it my self.

#94 skyf, Jun 20, 2011
      Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    15. Both my first doll and second which I got this weekend have custom face ups. But only because I got them from my best friends who had gotten them this way. The head I ordered myself has a default face up. I really like how it looks on the promo pictures and the owner pictures I've seen, so I felt it was safe to order with the default. I hope later on I will be able to do my own face ups. But I think I would order again with default in the future if I like it a lot and if it looks like his or her character.

16. My DZ Hid came with the default face-up, but thats down to the fact that I actually ADORED it as it was and wanted it that way, and, thankfully, my friends ordered him that way, too ^_^ [he was a collaberative gift, for those who don't know xD] My second had her faceup done by a friend of mine, and the 3rd, I think was a custom face when I adopted him.

17. My first doll had his default faceup, and fortunately it happened to be just the look I wanted for him, barring the silver eyeshadow (seriously, he looked amazing with it nevertheless). As his default eyelashes got mangled and his faceup chipped here and there, I eventually sent him out for a brand new custom faceup. It was a piece of art and completely different from his default-- dark smoky, different lip colour, different lower lash style-- yet thankfully didn't change his personality one iota. I never regretted his default faceup though, despite the fact that as he was an in-store doll I bought, he came with it anyway.

That being said, I really, really do not like my dolls having default faceups in general. Since my first doll's custom change, the dolls that followed either came blank or with faceups that I wiped immediately after arrival. I just never see default faceups as a way to make my doll mine, since either there are dozens to hundreds to thousands of dolls out there with the exact same style of faceup, or the default faceup has a single colour base/is incredibly simple (read: boring)/has a style different from what I intended for the doll so it doesn't bring out the personalities I want my dolls to portray. I've yet to find a default faceup that I would keep on their default sculpt if given the choice, or even a custom faceup on a doll in the hypothetical event I would want to buy them.

18. I ordered my first doll with the factory faceup for two reasons. One, because his factory face up is perfect for what I want and two because I have no faceup experience. Once I get a practice head and some practice, I might wipe it and try it myself, but until then, factory face up it is.

19. I bought my doll with default face up. But I think I am going to send my next few dolls for custom face up if I am going to get new dolls!

20. When I bought my boy, which was also my first doll, I got the company face up because I liked it and knew that it'd be complicated for me to get him a custom one. Though I kind of regret that I didn't get a custom face-up for him now, since I've gotten quite bored with the default one.

If you really like the default face-up, and think it fits your doll really well; then get it. And if you don't like the face-up IRL, or get bored with it when you get your doll, then just get a custom one afterwards. :3