1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Doll Indecision?

Dec 12, 2009

1. Definitely. xD For a while, I kept falling in love with dolls from a bunch of different companies, but then settled on a Luts Kid Delf Bory. A few weeks later, my opinion changed again when I decided I wanted a more light, cheerful character for my boy. So, in the end, I ordered a Luts kid Delf Woori, who was shipped yesterday. 83

2. man, not only the first one. the others too Ôo it's still very hard to decide wich doll i'm gonna buy because i know i wont be able to buy one until a long time so i dont want to regret my choice!

3. I didn't go through many dolls before choosing Souldoll Tae, it was more that I went through a lot of company websites before choosing him. I like my men to look... manish and a lot of guy dolls (thought I'd never want a female doll and now I want two) looked too girly to me. It took about three days of searching before deciding on him.

4. My first dolly indecision was between Soulkids Katie.A, Linn, Tiffee, and Yewon. Had Tiffee not been discontinued, I still think she would have been my first dolly.

5. :sweat With choosing my first I was terrible, at the end I almost went mad, because I just couldn't for the God's love decide!!!

Well. At first it was DOD E-an. OK. Then I found Souldoll, just the day when they released Chiron ---> love at first sight, poor E-an was forgotten. About month and so I was drooling over Chiron and slowly preparing parents for a bomb. Then I accidentaly discovered Crobidoll and instead of Chiron it was suddenly Nao. That time I started to slowly go insane...Parents were like: No no. Then I found SOOM and was lost in the moment.

So I ended up with my beloved dragon :)

6. I barely had any. At first I would have liked a souldoll gisele, but I gave up on that idea, then I knew it had to be B&G Aurora, but when she wasn't in stock and I didn't want to wait 10 weeks to get her, I decided on one of the first ones that I liked the look of.
      Not much thinking was involved buying Lili. She was a complete impuls buy but I don't regret any moment of deciding to get her. Although I still need that Aurora. She will be my second full doll and I'll be getting Zack a body next.. You know.. in a year or two.. XD

7. heh, im at the whole first doll indecision bit now, at first i like the DoD then i saw dollfie dreams and now im looking at mini super dollfie...

the bit im worried about is that i'd order one and when it gets here it would look different to the picture and i wouldn't like it :S

8. This just kicked in the other day.... after some minor indecision when I first started looking, I thought I had myself decided... and now I don't know. I still really want Ria, but Resinsoul Ai and Bei fit together a lot better and I would kind of like my first two dolls at least to "match" though I know I'm going to have a variety of sizes/styles in the future. Plus my boyfriend prefers the Resinsouls, and I'd really like to get some joint-project dolls early on.

*sigh*

9. I didn't go through a lot of different kinds of dolls and companies as I should have. But I got recommendations from friends about dolls and companies.

10. No but I wish I had. I went for the first BJD I'd ever seen, I thought it would be fitting as a first doll. That is probably one of the worst reasons to get a doll - because you saw it first. Unfortunately that didn't dawn on me at the time :|

Now I'm getting her ready for selling. But that's mostly because I prefer SD sized dolls, so I'm sticking to them now.

11. I went few quite a few dolls. Namely because at first I was just looking for purty dolls, not character models.

I fell head over heels for Camine first, but the price was off putting...slightly. So I did the thing everyone says not to do and left him in search for something a bit cheaper. I found Luts, and was then torn between Yder (who I spotted first) or Shine. Much pondering occurred, followed by even more, until I decided to sensibly look up user pics.

If I'd gotten Yder I think I would be kicking myself now - user pics help lots people!
      (If all goes to plan, I’ll be ordering a Camine in a month or so, anyway! My Shine is lonely hehe)

12. My mom wanted me to have a doll that was smiling. She wouldn't allow me getting a doll that looks sad or anything, so I had to find a doll that smiled. I found one from Luts, one from DOD, and another from Souldoll. I went through a billion company sites, but the one that stuck out the most was the one from DOD. She was more expensive than the one from luts but I got her anyway and now I'm waiting for her to come ^.^

13. I'm sure I was indecisive, but I don't really remember it. I knew I wanted a tiny doll first, just to get used to BJD's, since I'd never even seen one before. My Puki was an easy choice, I went for the one that looked happy, since I didn't like the ones who looked sad or pouty.

14. I definitely had trouble picking! The problem was threefold:
      • I wanted more dolls than I could reasonably afford
      • I had very little space available to store dolls
      • I didn't want too many dolls, no matter if I drooled over half of the molds I saw
      At first, being new to the hobby, I was very easily swayed by either a pretty face-up or a cool customization. I tend to be slow to act whenever I get conflicted, so I didn't bite the bullet and just buy one right away.

I eventually realized that I needed to look more at a sculpt than what was painted on, as the sculpt is the basis of bjd customization. Basically, I learned to identify whether I liked someone's particular customization of a doll or the doll itself. For me, it was more important to choose a doll that had versatility and that I liked even without a face-up, as there are so much creativity out there that it's impossible to want every doll that strikes my fancy because of its costume or face-up or just the photography skills of its owner.

I felt that a love of the sculpt had a better chance of enduring than a love of a particular customization. Even then I still debated! I looked up photos and made myself layout comparisons and vascillated for months. It probably would have been easier had I been able to see the dolls in person, so I think doll-meets are awesome in that respect.

And, I'm slightly chagrined to say, my first doll, and Angel of Dream NiNi, was bought entirely on impulse. It was on sale. :sweat I definitely enjoyed playing with her, but she wasn't a keeper. My second doll, and AoD body/BBB Sprite head hybrid, I carefully researched, and it took me some time to put her together, as she was a hybrid, but she wasn't a keeper, either. The main reason, I think, was that I didn't like her body shape, which I didn't think would bother me that much, since she was in clothes most of the time. I found out that I was too much of a perfectionist. :|

My third doll, a Custom House Uri, I had always admired, but never thought to buy. She was on sale and I got excited. However, surprisingly, she turned out to be a keeper.

My fourth, a Felixdoll Frances fullset, was again an impulse buy, and once again I was seduced by a good sale. Needless to say he was gone soon, too.

My fifth doll, a Supia Rosy, was definitely a keeper, considering how long I agonized over whether to get her or not. I literally had five different layouts comparing different owner pictures and the sculpt.

Shortly before I bought Rosy, I had a house cleaning and sold all my dolls and some accessories with the exception of Uri and Rosy. It felt good! I felt like I was beginning a new phase in my adventures of doll ownership, where hopefully I'm becoming more discriminate and knowledgeable in knowing what I like and don't like.

15. My first doll is the first one I saw when I got to know BJDs...
      But after I looked through all the other dolls and comapnies, I still like my first one very much and never regret<3

16. Nope. I knew what I wanted. So I got him. :whee:

17. My first doll I was like "well I like this and this and this, but i can't spend that kind of money on a doll that's just okay" and then I found Kaiya and I was like "MUST HAVE, DO WANT".

18. well originally, i had planned to buy a DoT code no.02 as my first doll [yeah. i love his mold.]. but seeing as how i am literally broke, i can't exactly buy him now, nor would i be able to get the money for him anytime soon. Now, since a couple friends are buying fairyland pukipukis, they convinced me to get one too. much much cheaper and they are quite adorable. so yeah, i'm now saving up for my puki chuchu, Taro. it stands without saying that Kael is rather angry with me now that he won't be the first.

19. O woe is me! These children call out to me "Pick me," and I am delighted. Alas! desire is a cruel mistress (or she-man if you read Sandman). I like trying to sound fancy. Anyways, I've been trying to decide for years but I didn't have money then. Now that I finally narrow down my first doll (once you start you just can't stop) to a Dollmore Vian between it and a DollnDoll Anna Dollmore releases more Vians. After I've decided, they release the suntanned version, looks a bit more like me but then they release the limited Rococo version. I'm short half the shipping on the limited doll but I'm not sure I like just how white (way past pale) she is. The money I'll be getting from selling a few of my textbooks won't come fast enough but it might. I just don't know what to do. I know I want I girl Dollmore Vian but I don't know which one. Forsooth this is quite a conundrum!

20. Well, I had been thinking about venturing into the BJD world for a year or so and had been focusing on something small to begin with--like a Lati. What I couldn't decide on was which Lati. In the end, the decision was made for me by a lovely little Elfdoll Tiny Kai that belonged to a flickr friend--she just kept looking at me & when her owner decided to put her up for adoption, I had nothing to say about it, LOL! It was as if she had always belonged to ME but had somehow ended up in the wrong place to begin with! :aheartbea Since that time I have also gotten my Lati, but not the one I expected to get! Now that I have the two of them, I can relax a little & think about where I want to go from here! Right now I am exploring the different companies & what they have to offer as well as learning from the DOA community! BTW I love hearing about everyone's experiences & opinions . . .