1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Doll Indecision?

Dec 12, 2009

1. I am really trying hard to make a choice, BJDs are too expensive for me too make a 'wrong' first choice :)

2. I wanted an Angelregion Dana for the longest time, and a Cherishdoll Beau. Now, I don't really want either. Well, maybe Dana but my tastes have changed. I love my Luts Ani girl, but originally I wanted to get a Ani boy instead, but I love my little Madison!

3. Well, I knew I wanted a Minifee, but I didn't know what head I wanted or even what gender. *A*;; It was tough deciding between Ryeon, Seorin, Ruth, Carl, Luka and Rheia, but I finally picked Ruth because of the cute smile, and made her a girl because I like Minifee boobs and hips. XD;
      I thought about it for a little while more, but my decision didn't change, so I ordered her. :3
      I love her. ;3; :aheartbea

4. Oh, totally! I'm looking at purchasing my first doll and am having an extremely hard time choosing. :doh I might be kind of settled now though. There's just so much to choose from...

5. It took me a very long time for me to find out what doll I wanted. This may sound silly, but I bought her wig and shoes before I even bought the body! I kept my eye on an Angel of Dream An though. Even though I had looked through most websites and compared prices and whatnot, I went back to her. I have had her since the beginning of July, and I absolutely love her. Everybody else tells me how beautiful she is. One can look at her and tell she has quite the personality! So I'm happy with my first decision. =D

6. T_T I keep cycling between the same dolls that first caught my eye; Infiniti Alex, DZ Joe, SDF Frey, Iplehouse Jessica, Migidoll Min and Koji.
      Still debating between all of them...though the lack of funds (currently ~200 woot) is giving me extra time to procrastinate on decision making XD
      I'm too scared to plan beyond the first doll (ex. which dolls would "fit" together well) cause then I'll have even more trouble deciding the first =.=.

7. >.< i went through tons and tons of websites looking for the "perfect doll" and i think i decided on a dollfie dream yukino!

8. I had MASSIVE problems deciding who to get as my first. It went IH Luna, DIM Bellosse, DM Ipsae, IH Benny, then decided I'd be getting Soom Coquina but couldn't get the funds in time.
      And wow am I happy I couldn't.
      The second I saw the teaser of Sooms Nenad, I knew I had to see more. So I stalked and stalked until they released her and then it was like a switch went on in my head.
      I'm really happy with my first order, and now I just need some patience waiting for her to come home. :XD:

9. I've done a lot of searching and picture comparisons to determine what I wanted to be Mimi's first friend. It was a debate in my head between a PKF Shiwoo or a PKF Ante and that went on for a month. I finally settled with an Ante this morning :) Now it's just finding the perfect hair for her size.

10. i got my first doll from my sister because she was selling her so she could save up for a different mold. but for my second one, it was a hard choice. i was thinking about getting a zaoll luv, but then i came across the souldoll company and fell in love with pretty much every one of their molds. i ended up with an l-heart a few months later :)

11. Ooooh yeah. XD It was before I finally found the Asleep Eidolon Jiao Jr. I was really uncertain on what sort of doll I wanted. At first, I wanted one from Volks, then one from LUTS, and then another from dollzone, and then almost bought the Asleep Eidolon Yara before I discovered the Jiao Jr. after going on a wig hunt. And to make sure, I went on another doll hunt before I finally couldn't take it and got her. XD Now I'm going through the dolls I still want and I'm uncertain what one to get next!

12. I didn't know too many different companies before taking the plunge and buying a Luts HDF Lolly. I had almost impulsively bought an Unoa faceplate to attempt hybridizing it, but plans fell through (and now I'm glad I didn't do that, it was way too reckless!). But after deciding I had to get a tiny, I looked through some threads here before seeing some Luts tinies, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me and knocked all other options out of consideration for me :P They were the exact style I was looking for, and after obsessing over their Honey's for a few days, I got the one I loved the most, Lolly. Even though some days I wish I took some more time into deciding on my first doll and researching other companies, it doesn't mean I regret getting the doll I did...it probably would have happened sooner or later, lol.

13. I stumbled upon a Volks showroom haphazardly in Japan, so I more or less knew which company I would be buying my first doll from, and it was more or less which facial sculpt I wanted. I debated for a long time, but looking back I couldn't see myself getting any of the other sculpts I was considering, even some of the Limited Edition ones.

If you're debating between several different facial sculpts of the same company's line of dolls, I wouldn't worry too much, because it means you generally have a feel for what you want, but if you're debating between drastically different companies (different resins, sizes, joints, species, whatever), you probably just came down with BJD fever and you should look around more (and try to see and handle the sculpts in real life) before you make a purchase, especially since these dolls tend to be an investment.

14. My first doll wasn't the one I had been seeking-- the grail was Volks Shiro Tachibana, the first doll I fell in love with. But he was bloody hard-to-find even in 2005! so I wasn't going to hold my breath waiting for him to be first. As luck would have it, I found a Shiro as my third doll, later that same summer. I guess the Volks Fairies decided I'd waited long enough for dreamboy. :aheartbea

But, while I was searching for the big grails, I bought my first doll, Volks SDC Arashi. He had just been released and I fell in love with him on eBay. Since he was noticeably less than the $2000 it would take for a Shiro, and a bit smaller, I thought he would be a nice warmup for ownership.

He also just kinda leaped through the monitor and grabbed my heart & wouldn't let it go. Clearly, neither size nor price were the priority here! There was really not much indecision, once I'd latched onto him. Just a couple of nights wondering if I was sure I wanted to open that door... I guess I already sensed the madness that would follow.... ^^ (Rowan is still the alpha male around here, short as he is.)

But I swear, there were SO fewer dolls around at all, back then! There were only, like, 3 or 4 sizes, and all 60cm dolls had more or less the same body-shape & wore more or less the same clothing, and nobody was broad-shouldered, and Pocketfairies were the only Tiny, and the list of known companies could fit on 1 sheet of paper. I really don't envy the decision-burden of anybody who's starting their first-doll research now... with so many choices & avenues available, just picking a starting-point must be SO hard! *_* If I were starting now, I'd be one of those people who pays a guru to channel me over the phone and make my doll-soulmate decision for me (think of Edina on Absolutely Fabulous).

15. Years ago when I first started looking at BJDs I was fond of Volks (though no specific dolls come to mind,) and Elfdoll's Soah. But, at the time buying a doll was out of the question since I was putting myself through college so I just thought wistfully about them over the years.

Now I'm in a better situation to get a doll and I decided to start all over again since I discovered these forums and all the companies that are around now! I'm sure I'll hit indecision as I narrow it down, but right now I'm in my "obsessively systematic" phase. First I got a vague idea of what I was looking for- Female, Mature figure, 27cm or maaaaaybe up to 44cm- then I started looking. I went through the *entire* list of BJD companies. *_* Now I've got it down to 7 companies, I'll look at reviews, then narrow down sculpts, and look at owner's pics to make my final decision. So much work!!

I do expect that choosing a second doll might be easier since I've already done the major legwork and I know what companies I don't like. :)

16. didnt get to choose my mom took the money and bought her favorite and gave it to me without telling me :/
      but i still love my doll shes very sweet and shy

17. hmm.. didn't take me that long, I saw him secondhand in a marketplace.. I had to have him.. XD

18. It's love at first sight for me with Unoa Lusis when I flipped through a copy of Unoa Freak at a bookstore one summer day (this summer XD), after seeing pictures of numerous dolls from numerous dollmaker sites, there's still no other sculpt that I can connect to so much. Since I can't afford a Soom Saiph now anyway (she also took my breath away but not in the same way Lusis does), I think it's very likely that I will wait till next year to get Lusis as my very first doll when she's on sale again from Alchemy labs.

19. First I thought I was going with dream of doll then it was dollzone. And then I looked at every website, and it changed back to dream of doll. And now it's fairyland and I think I'm ready to buy my first once I have the money. Unless of course I see something else! >.<

20. I wanted a little one for my first character. My only doubt was "Oh, God, I haven't painted (yes, in my mind the concept of "faceup" and "blushing" didn't exist yet :D) one of these ever... Should I really get the expensive one?". I wanted a volks one, and wondered if I should get obitsu instead because of my inexperience. I ended up getting the volks one.