1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll second hand?

Jul 25, 2010

1. I also bought my first doll (DOC Petsha) second hand here on DoA, she's absolutely amazing and in good condition :)
      If a second hand doll that you want has yellowed or is a bit damaged, it would be clearly stated in the description so don't worry about that! ;)
      Good luck to you finding your first doll, you'll make the correct decision no matter if the doll's new or second hand :D

2. You can always check people's feedback thread before you buy if you are nervous. :)

3. Still though, people sometimes start with good feedback then turn to scamming. (Yes, I am a bit paranoid I guess.)

Don't get me wrong, I've bought things from people online before. I'd love to save some money. I just worry more than usual with high dollar purchases.

4. There is good and bad with every method I know... but even some companies have messed people around... I can understand why you are worried but I don't think the marketplace is that bad a place really.

5. I got my second doll second hand. (actually, i only had one and a half doll i bought from the company so far)
      honestly, i dont think it makes any difference wether you buy it second hand or from the company. but when you buy second hand, sometimes you get a nice custom faceup included ;)
      the dolls I got second hand were pretty much perfect. if they were yellow, i couldnt tell since it was even and i couldnt compare it...
      always read the sellers feedback first though, and you can always ask for extra picutres :)
      OH and one thing that is really nice about buying second hand, is that you wait 2 weeks instead of 2 months to get your doll. I think thats a great advantage

6. I love buying marketplace dolls, but half the dolls I got from the MP were practically brand new in original packaging. In that case there isn't any difference between getting it from them or straight from the company. They still have that "new doll smell" and everything. If you don't see the doll you're looking for with these conditions, you could wait until it pops up or put a WTB thread up. If all else fails and you can afford to spend a few extra bucks buying it directly from the company then go for it :)

I bought my first doll directly from a company, and all the rest of them were MP purchases. I don't think I'll ever want to buy directly from a company again! Out of all my dolls, the one I bought from a company was the only one that had poor packaging and paint splotches and didn't really look like she did in the pictures :sweat

7. Maybe the person who warned me had a bad experience then. Because I can see from this thread many people have gotten dolls second hand from the MP. So, maybe I'll at least look and see if I can find what I wan there. As soon as I have access that is. About another week to go!

8. Thanks a bunch everyone! I've been really nervous, but all the positive feedback from everyone who has had a good experience with the MP has eased my tensions. Just the other day I found a really wonderful doll and fell in love with him on the MP, I'm just waiting for my payday to start talking business with the seller. He's exactly what I want, he's close, and he's a good price!

Yay!

9. Oh that's great! Make sure you show him off to us when he gets home! :)

10. If I can find a doll I want and it's a really good price, I will get a doll off the MP. I'm just not going to pay the same price as getting the doll all new for it... I don't much see the point in saving myself a couple dollars shipping. I'd rather have a new doll if that's the case.

11. my first 2 dolls were second, and i still prefer going second hand when i can. i like the lower prices and less waiting to the sparkly out of the box feeling. and i got both of mine from ebay.

12. You know it's weird, but I don't see very many second hand BJDs on eBay. A lot of accessories, or people charging more than company price for the same dolls, but not very many second hand.

Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting the day I can start browsing the MP forums. :)

13. My first doll was second hand, the only issue I really have with him is that there is a glued joint that I will have to somehow unglue. Otherwise he's perfect. Most people on DoA take really good care of their dolls and the market system is very detailed and has a feedback system for buyers and sellers.

Also through me my friend's first doll was second hand. So far everything has been perfect (and she's glued to her doll... probably helps is 11cm compared to my 62cm...)

14. I will. ^_^ I already have my camera ready ><

15. Both of my dolls were second hand. Madison was brand new, wrappings were still on her as the owner recieved her and couldn't bond. She had never been played with at all. Lorelai is well loved, but I love her regardless of her imperfections.

16. Honestly, I don't think second-hand is so bad, so long as you do your research.
      It's cheap, quick, and gives you practice for when you do make the big step for a new doll. That might just be what I'll do as soon as I save the money. For now, I am looking at a doll, but it's not an on-topic BJD for DoA. (it's made of vinyl, not resin.) But I figure, it'll give me something to practice faceups on and the like. And if you love it, then why not? Second-hand can be your best friend.

17. oooh, what mold is iiiit?? :D

18. Angel studio Cain. He has the sweetest smile that just warms my heart. He needs eyelashes though and I want to give him a more dramatic face up when I get him, but the one he has now is fine.

Angel studio so far is one of my favorite brands.

19. If it's "too good to be true"
      Don't buy it.

And check feedback. If you want something, do the research, ask questions. Don't let someone talk you into something.

I decided to join a split since I could not decide on a head. That is, imo, the hardest thing for me to decide on. >:/ I may join splits, since I realized I am picky. Real picky. lol

20. 5 of my dolls were second hand (including my first one).

It's important to check their feedback, see good pictures that show off all the details (the faceup for flaws, the body for chips or scratches, and the resin for yellowing), and see that the seller has a good description that addresses all of the above. Trust your instincts too- if it seems like something isn't quite right (there is no description, the pictures are fuzzy, or there isn't enough for you to KNOW what you are getting) then try looking elsewhere.

My second hand dolls never really seemed second hand to me, because they were in Like New condition when I purchased them. (Heck, one I bought the head and body separately!) Only one had a small face up chip, but it didn't matter because I had already planned on changing the face up.

I understand the want to have it "perfect" when you get it, but you can still get a perfect doll second hand. (And if you plan on changing the face up/blushing, it doesn't even matter if the doll has a flawed face up, dirtiness, or even if it's yellowed a bit! All of that can be easily fixed with painting, cleaning, and sanding.

And as someone said, you can often get second hand dolls for cheaper WITH cheaper shipping, and sometimes freebies to boot.