1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll second hand?

Jul 25, 2010

1. My first doll was already a second hand, making me her third owner. Lol! But I think that if you would carefully look and ask for further details on the dolls being sold as a second hand it would save you the worries. There are some dolls on sale that are mint condition that the seller just bought it on impulse, included as free on their purchase but never really wanted it, or can't bond with it.

On my personal thoughts, buying second hand dolls is pretty okay. You just really have to be very careful on what you're buying. Sometimes, what you see isn't always what you get.

2. My first doll isn't second hand and I have no problem with this, maybe I'll buy a second hand doll in the future

3. The first doll I ordered was a limited edition Iplehouse straight from the company, but the first doll I RECEIVED was a previously loved little Dragon Girl doll :D

4. I got my first secondhand. Actually buying her happened a bit too quickly - a friend found her for sale and told me, it was an amazing offer and I couldn't say no to that. So I convinced my parents to let me buy her lol. Probably for this reason I didn't think even a moment about yellowing/chips and all that a secondhand doll may/may not have. My last doll is also secondhand. I think she's perfect (both for her faceup and yellowing-wise: the faceup is intact and she may have yellowed but her skin is not yellow at all. Probably just different from the normal skin tone she sould have) so I don't have any problem with it. If anything bothers you, though, you can always check the doll's pics to be sure you like them enough/they're not too yellow and/or don't have any issues. ^_^

5. My first, and only at the moment, BJD is second hand. I could never have afforded a brand new doll right now, and fell in love with a second hand ResinSoul Fei that was posted on an FB BJD sales group. The seller was amazing, and she is in great condition, other than yellowing - but I'm dyeing her black so that won't matter in the end. I also feel a little less nervous about modding her, since I didn't spend $500+ on her.
      You are the only one who can make the decision if you are okay with your first being second hand, or not, but don't stop looking at the marketplace. You never know which doll might catch your eye in there that you end up just having to get. Lots of people, myself included, have wanted their first to be "fresh" from the company and everything, but sometimes realty sets in about the price or opportunity (if looking at limited editions and they're selling out before you're able to make payment). Just pick whichever doll you want, whether new or second hand, and go for it. Don't let anyone tell you to feel differently.

6. I didn't get a secondhand doll until my 6th doll because I was overly paranoid about buying from strangers online. I think buying from a company does feel safer and you know your doll should be in mint condition upon receipt, but I also think buying secondhand can be just as good.

If you want a doll that's discontinued or from a company that is now defunct or is known to have a lot of problems, buying secondhand is a wise choice. It also usually means shorter wait times, you get to see the exact doll you'll be getting, and you might save some money if it's a standard sculpt or unpopular doll, or if you're buying from within your own country. Even if it's yellowed or has some damage, that might be a good thing for people who are afraid of "ruining" their first doll, or who want to practice faceups, restringing, modding, etc before investing in a brand new doll. Just be sure to do your research first so you know what to expect from the doll, and that your seller is reliable with a good reputation in the community.

7. I was quite like you about my first doll too! Until I came across the most beautiful secondhand boy that changed my mind! He was well loved so there was not an issue with chipping or yellowing with me.

8. I never buy second hand. It's not for any reason really, I guess I just find it easier to go though a companies website over thought the forums. With DoA and the feedback system I feel quite confident buying from people on here, but all the dolls I like are on company websites and easy to find, so why search though the marketplace? If I ever find a doll I want enough to make that extra effort, or I want a doll but can't find one I want from a company website that want, then I'll buy secondhand, but right now I'll just go though company sites.

I don't actually care about my dolls being in perfect condition. I am keeping one of my 9 year old Bluefairies and I love her. I don't think she has much yellowing and no damage, but even if she did I would keep her.

9. I prefer secondhand dolls or cheap dolls. I have the same problem with being too scared to touch them if it's too pristine or expensive :sigh. I really got into this hobby for the craft-ability of it. I know when I get a doll I'll want to customize it extensively and pristine dolls make me feel guilty over it.:pout:

10. I haven't bought from the marketplace yet, but I think buying a doll secondhand from the MH here isn't such a bad idea! I'd like to buy a doll secondhand someday, especially since there are one or two LEs I never got my hands on.
      On the other hand, I love my experience so far with buying new dolls. I love having my doll come with their own box and CoA, any extra freebies and event gifts... For me, receiving a secondhand doll without a box or anything will feel a little lonely and less celebratory somehow. I don't quite get it myself!

11. My first was second hand. i wanted to like.. test the waters, so to speak, with a cheaper option. She's blue so yellowing isn't really an issue, but she worked great as a first sort of.. taste of what resin would feel like.

I had, prior to buying her already bitten the bullet and ordered a doll from the same company, but he was being custom cast in a unique colour and so I couldn't really get anything like him secondhand. But I bought my girl because I started getting cold feet, had I made the right choice? waiting all that time and not knowing if i'd even like the doll was nerve wracking.

My second hand girl cost me about £100 and came with a default faceup, a wig and two outfits. As well as 3 sets of eyes which was extremely helpful. It made her slightly less intimidating, though she did arrive with her head separated from her body lol.

My third doll was also second hand, now he was sold in as new condition, the seller was getting out of the hobby. He'd never had a faceup, never really been taken out of the box. So he was about as new as new could be, but the price was awesome.
      He arrived completely unstrung, like literally in pieces which would have been a real shock had he been my first. Thankfully I learned how to restring dolls after fixing my first girl (who was floppy as heck when she arrived) and restringing my new boy who just needed better strings than the company default.

I just bought my fourth from the company. I'd have bought him second hand had the exact head/resin colour combo come up but yeah, I had a specific combo I needed for this character, none came up for sale, so I bought a new one. HAH.

I do keep a look out though, in case the perfect combination does crop up second hand because imo, saving anything that can be then invested into accessories, clothing etc is good. And minor imperfections don't much bother me, but then, I collect vintage fashion dolls, i'm sort of desensitized to fixing problems and actually quite enjoy breathing new life into damaged things.

12. My first doll was secondhand, and most of my dolls since then have as well. I think the secondhand market is awesome, and I love being able to buy a doll and receive it in a few days (or a couple weeks for international purchases). I'm super impatient and the wait for new dolls is the worst part of this hobby for me. Also being able to save a bit of money is always great, and supporting fellow collectors who may need the money or just want a different doll is nice too. If yellowing or damage are things that bother you then just be sure to read the listing carefully, ask lots of questions, and avoid purchasing dolls with those kinds of "flaws".

Also, DoA's marketplace is amazing and I've only had one bad experience in all my years of buying and selling dolls here. The feedback system is great, and the listing guides are so helpful as both a buyer and seller. My one and only time buying from a Facebook group ended up in a PayPal claim and refund, and I told myself I'd never buy a secondhand doll anywhere but DoA again.

13. All my bjds have been secondhand. I just try to find the best deal/condition that I can. Both my girls are in amazing condition for their age and I was able to get them for less than their original retail. Sometimes you can find a seller who really needs to part with a doll that is in good condition and does it for a lower than average price. Just be picky and make sure you really love the doll. You can always contact them and speak to the sellers to see if they can give you more information.

14. I bought my first doll secondhand from the DOA Marketplace, and it was an amazing experience.
      There are a LOT of perks from buying secondhand:
      1. Price. It's much cheaper.
      2. Shipping. The shipping is usually cheaper, especially if you're buying within your country.
      3. Less Waiting. It took about 1 week from the day I first messaged the seller to the day my doll arrived.
      4. Gifts! Often times sellers will include gifts in the package, and who doesn't love free stuff?

My doll is basically perfect, but for the slightest of yellowing. I would highly recommend buying your first doll from the DOA Marketplace. I think often times yellowing is made out to be the worst thing ever, but having never had a BJD before, my doll looks fine.
      If you do really want a perfect doll, you can't beat buying new. The packaging is perfect, the resin is freshly made and casted, and everything is clean and new. But do consider buying secondhand - the doll will still be amazing, but with a cheaper price and much shorter waiting time.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

15. My first doll is second hand. She is old, about 10 years old and yellowed. I didn't mind that because she was what I was looking for. And because she's so old her sculpt is sold out and you cannot buy her from the company anymore.

If you want perfect doll without any flaws then buying from the company is only option.

16. My first doll is second hand and she wasn't in very nice condition and greened :roll:

17. The first doll that arrived to me was secondhand, and I expected some yellowing since she was about 3-4 years old. She was in great condition and I'm really glad that she was the first doll I ever held. She was long sold-out online, so secondhand was the only way to go. It was a great experience, and the seller was very kind and willing to work with me even through I didn't have any feedback yet on the forum.

18. Worked for me! My first doll was/is a pre-owned Ashanti. She is gorgeous, mint, and I adore her. And she came to me at a great price through a long negotiation on "make an offer" on eBay. It was a great way to know If the size/scale interested me, and of course, I fell in love with Iplehouse.

19. If it bothers you that the dolls are second hand, don't buy them. Save up and purchase a new doll. Buying second hand dolls is not for everyone. My first second hand doll was in perfect condition but I realized I did not like his sculpt in person. I still have his head and his body is being used for another doll that I purchased just for his body. Hated the body but fell in love with his head sculpt that match the other body perfectly.

20. i think about getting a secondhand doll for a first BJD too