1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll second hand?

Jul 25, 2010

1. yes i have a second hand it's minifée luka she is perfect condition

2. I'll be buying my first bjd new, It`ll be expensive but I`ve been saving. Also I just feel more comfortable buying it directly from the company since it`ll be my first time getting a bjd.

3. Will be getting my first doll 2nd hand. I'm gonna collect her in 2 days' time and I'm super excited about it!

4. I'm now getting my third doll, all three second hand. I kind of prefer it so far to be honest. Being able to talk all details, and get pictures of everything before paying is really nice heh

5. My third boy is second hand and the first I have in my hands, so I guess he is really my first. I think his purchase was way less stressful than the first two ordered from their companies because of being able to talk (text) with the seller, who has experience when I have none. It is scary to send a small fortune to a company on the other side of the world and not know what is going on for what seems like forever with your only info being your order is 'processing' or 'preparing'. I didn't buy second hand (I prefer 'preloved') to avoid wait time or pressure of 'OMG, I only have xx days or hours to buy it!' You need to love the doll you want as the first (and after) regardless of the way you get it.

6. I love second hand things. They have more character. I like imagining what they have 'seen' and 'done'. Sometimes I go looking for second hand before even considering new.

7. All my dolls so far have been second hand. I just ordered from a company for the first time, waiting for him to arrive.
      However my first doll has a bit of a sad story, as the seller said she was perfect and in the pictures she looked good. However upon arrival, she was pretty yellowed.. She had a green glow in her face making her seem sick. I still love her, especially now that she has a new face up and lost the green in her face. This is also the doll in my profile pic, though this picture was taken before I changed her face-up.

8. I've only only bought my Yo-SD's and three tinies new. My MSD's are all pre-loved with the exception of one's head that I bought new. I love them as much as I do my newly bought dolls. Honestly, I had really good experiences with getting them. Two were trades, one was a layaway. I was able to ask questions, request pictures if I needed them. And explain what I'd need of them for the sake of my allergies. (I have severe cat allergies. I've turned down free wigs/clothing for my guys because of said allergies and even backed out of swaps. But with this hobby it's still a risk but luckily resin can be cleaned off very easily. : ) )

And all the previous owners wanted to see pictures of my dolls once I got them home to see what their new 'life' was going to be like.

I can say this: Spoiled. They are spoiled to the core.

9. It's funny, my first doll I purchased was brand new. But the first bjds I physically held in my arms were second hand. My 2 island doll An An's and my Doll Family H girl are all second hand. I love them alot.

I have to agree with a few other people second hand things do have more character. I'd go second hand first. I kind of like them a bit more second hand.

10. YES. As a high school student, it's easier to get a second doll and wait shorter time. The preowned is really nice and taught me a lot.

11. Most of my dolls have been second-hand. Of the current bunch, 2 out of five are; Feeple65 Chloe (I wanted her around the time Fairyland temporarily discontinued that line) and MD Amber (I couldn't afford her when she was new).

12. Technically, my first doll was a head that I bought secondhand because I wanted the head on a taller body, and Luts had not yet had their free choice system for that.

13. For a first doll, I think new is better just because you know it will be perfect and if it isn't, the company will usually work with you to make it right.

I've bought a lot of perfectly fine second hand dolls. I've also bought second hand dolls that were advertised as slightly yellowed that were actually very yellowed. And sometimes dirty. It would be such a bummer for your first doll to arrive all yellow and dirty. Or with other flaws that you don't even know are flaws because it's your first doll and you have nothing to compare it to.

14. What's more important to you-- receiving a doll that is perfect, that will have no blemishes apart from those you put on it, that has that 'new doll smell' upon opening the box, that you can be 110% certain is legitimate... or receiving a doll quickly?

You can save money on a secondhand doll, but I would say you'd have to be lucky. I've found people don't mark them down much unless there is damage, missing parts or it's an unpopular sculpt. You also need to factor in the wild card of dealing with a private party rather than an official company--the company likely being more obliged to ensure you are satisfied, and certainly less likely to scam you.

Also, a secondhand doll could be haunted. :aeyepop:

(Lol, just kidding.)

My first doll was new and I still prefer to buy new if there aren't huge savings to be had. An exception would be that I recently bought a secondhand Dollshe head even though the price was essentially the same as buying brand new, and the only reason I did it was because I will be moving house at least once, but maybe twice, in the next 1-6 months. I was wary of said head potentially falling through the cracks if it happened to take 8+ months to arrive and was sent without a shipping notice. (Oh, Dollshe...)

My collection is about 50-50 new and secondhand, and I'm glad to have done both. Sometimes secondhand sellers include little gifts or extras, which is sweet, and it is nice to know you are giving new life to a doll that may have gone unappreciated in its former home. It's really personal preference. However, to me there is nothing like opening a box sealed by the makers and seeing my own name written on the CoA. :kitty1

15. Half my dolls (I've roughly 45 counting floating heads) are new & half I got from the MP. I really don't CARE so much, anymore than I care if a PAINTING or other work of art is 'new'. There are advantages on both sides. If you buy from a company, you can control how the resin ages plus you will be sure it's not a recast. If you buy from the MP, you can get the doll faster & if it's a limited doll or from a defunct company it will be the only way to get the doll. I do always check on availability/price for dolls offered on the MP, because if I can get the same doll for that same price from the company I'll do it.

16. All of my dolls are Preloved! So far other than faceup chip, need restring they are good. :)

17. Personally, I'm ok with either second hand or brand new. Granted, I'm still looking for that first doll myself so I like to keep my options open. ^_^

18. My first doll was a secondhand sd girl. I realized that there are so many recast dolls out there. Looking back, I was really lucky to get an authentic doll with aod, box and flawless body with default make-up!

19. my first doll is 2ndhand doll :) one of the main reason because in my country it kinda difficult to buy the dolls so I prefer buy it "locally" if someone sell it, than I have to import cause too many trouble will occurred ><

20. All my dolls save one are second hand, and my first doll came pre-loved (as did the second. The third is my only one bought new to date, because I saw it "in person" at a gathering organised by an official reseller). Honestly, I really enjoy buying second hand, if only because getting the doll is so fast... and because there's no language problems. The downside is there's less choice as far as options go, of course, but browsing forum marketplaces also makes you discover dolls you'd never heard about, so it kinda even out.