1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll second hand?

Jul 25, 2010

1. My first doll was a second hand dollfie dream uzuki Shimamura in perfect condition :3 <3

2. I'm too scared to buy my first doll second-hand... at least for my first, I think I would like to get the full experience and buy straight from the company. Since I'm new to the hobby, I know that I don't know everything to watch out for? I think I would be too scared of scams or a doll with wear and tear that I couldn't spot myself since I have novice eyes. I also sort of want the experience of my first doll having all the packaging and knowing she's all new and never been handled before... is that weird? :lol:

Once I have a bit more knowledge on what to spot, I think I would be more comfortable buying second-hand. There is also the issue that I live in Australia, and shipping costs can be very expensive here! A big company might have less shipping costs because of courier services, but I fear that getting a doll shipped from a private seller would cost a lot...

3. My first doll was second-hand. There's a lot of pros and cons about it. Personally, if I could, I would go back and tell my younger self to save for a doll I really wanted instead of impulse-buying a second-hand SD, who I'm now struggling to sell. With SH (second-hand) dolls, you risk yellowing, animals, damage, chipping, staining, scamming, etc. But they can also be much cheaper, come with a unique and beautiful face-up, and come with lots of extras. My personal experience is varied- my first doll was bought from someone via instagram. She didn't come with her COA (which I was sent a picture of), or extra outfits (as promised by the seller). My second came from a lovely lady who was on Facebook and right here on DOA. She sent everything pictured, and even sueded the doll for me for no additional cost. So really, the second-hand market is always a coin-toss. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. I hope you find what you need. Good luck:XD:

4. I've only ever bought one doll new, all others are second hand. I've never been disappointed - some of the secondhand ones you couldn't even tell they weren't new as they'd barely been used. If you decide it's not the doll for you, can always resell. But if you're hesitant maybe it would be better to order new to avoid disappointment!

5. I got my first doll second hand, I specifically wanted a second hand one as my first doll for a few reasons. The main two were shipping and the stress of trying to order one online. I really didnt have very much money to spend so one that is closer to me would be cheaper shipping. Also, as a person, not knowing the status of something stresses me out so it was much more comforting for me to speak with the seller and get updates on the doll.

6. I don't think it is wrong to be picky. I mean some 2nd hand dolls might require some care to get them to where you want them to be. But it's not wrong to want a doll to be in a condition you're comfortable receiving it. My first 2nd hand doll was one of my grail items, a Saber Dollfie Dream with her armor and accessories. This particular doll is either prohibitively expensive or yellowed to hell and sometimes both. I found one on a Japanese webstore with some staining that wasn't yellowed, which is preferable because you can work out staining. But before I pulled the trigger, I asked for pictures of the problem areas and accessories to make sure what I was getting.

The point is it is perfectly fair to ask your seller for information and find a doll in a condition you are comfortable with. Sometimes you might even get next to perfect because doll owners can be pretty meticulous with care. So even if a doll isn't emaculate, with some elbow grease, you might be able to get it there.

7. The first doll I bought after I sold my original dolls was second hand. I fell in love with the doll and picked someone with good feedback and am very happy with her.

8. I personally tend to buy second hand.

Yellowing will happen to all of our dolls no matter how much we try to de-yellow them and keep them in perfect condition. Eventually we won't be able to sand their resin down, or dump them in chemicals. Unless their yellowing is horribly uneven, that's never stopped me from buying a sculpt I love.
      Plus, I love seeing owner pictures over company photos. Companies always show their dolls in a heavily photoshopped way with perfect accessories and clothes. That's certainly not how it always is with our dolls.
      I think that either way you'll be happy.
      I have both second hand dolls and ones straight from the company. The ones I have bought new are gorgeous, but I have a soft spot for my oldest doll Elgin (DZ Wing) who's pushing at least 11 years old and he was bought second hand when I was 14-16.
      I think that if you really love the sculpt, you'll appreciate it no matter the age.

9. I got my first doll second hand and she is still in my collection and very much loved.

10. I had felt like I needed to get my first doll new, but now I think it was kind of silly that I felt that way. It took a long time for my first doll that I ordered to get to me. I was still cautious about buying second hand, just because the dolls are kind of expensive and what if something went wrong? I ended up buying a lot of instock dolls instead to avoid the wait, because my first doll took so long.

Now I love the second hand market. I wish I hadn't been so afraid of it before. Most of the dolls I have gotten second hand looked practically new, and one was new and the original buyer had remorse for getting it. I no longer mind if a doll is flawed in some minor way. This does depend on the price of the doll of course. If the doll is badly yellowed/greened or modified, I would expect the second hand price to reflect that in some way.

I passed up quite a few dolls that I liked when I first started the hobby because I was afraid to go second hand. I think it's perfectly fine to get a second hand doll as your very first doll. It might even make a person more relaxed in handling their first doll because they don't have to worry so much about breaking something that is brand new.