1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Flaws, scratches, marks! Oh, no! But have they changed how you feel?

Feb 18, 2010

1. My secondhand doll has some damage...one of her toenails is a bit odd looking, there's a chip in the edge of one of her wrists, and some other stuff. I still love her all the same. It's all fixable or so small that it doesn't bother me, and just adds to her specialness. Even if something really bad happened, like one of her elf ears breaking off, I'd just glue it back on or make a new one.

I wouldn't mind buying more secondhand dolls that had "problems" either. It just means they were loved. :)

2. I freak the heck out when my dolls are new, but after a while I mellow out and not worry so much about dings and small scratches.

Not sure if I'd call it endearing, but I can live with it. @_@

I haven't owned my dolls long enough to have an opinion on yellowing.

Though I think I worry the most about Quinlan since his face-up seems more complicated to deal with if anything should happen

3. The only thing that comes to mind when I think about this question is the small scratch on one of Paris's fingers. I bought the body that way, the seller mentioned the damage, but it was so small I didn't think twice about looking for another body without any 'damage'. Now when I look at it I find myself imagining how Paris could have gotten it, like there's a story behind it I haven't been told yet. :]

It has actually helped with the bonding, so I can confidently say (during this moment in time) minor damage in a doll doesn't bother me at all.

4. Mii-tan is my first and currently only BJD {A few will be home soon}. I did my research while saving for the money and waiting for her to come home. Like all Rosette dolls, except the pure versions, she came home w/ the default face-up. Lovely, but not her so I wanted to give a try at doing face-up. Being a college student and it was still school months, I don't have much time to do but still I did. So I used the white sponge thing and it took quite a lot of time for me to remove the face-up. When I take a look, there were still residues of the old face-up in those little spots that the sponge can't reach. I think and think and remembered that we have nail polish remover. I used it on the inside of her faceplate where the eyes are placed, her nose and a bit on her forehead.

That's when I remembered somehting again, the remover was tinted blue! o.o I was like "Oh, no! Why did I do that!?" and "I ruined my first bjd! My parents will kill me!" so i hurried to wash her faceplate. I dried it then washed it again, I did this several times until I was satisfied. I inspected her and the only thing that was ruined is the tip of her nose. It was lighter than the rest of her face and I was like "Thank God!!! >.<". After that I immediately hid the nail polish remover and literally kept it away from me for fear of doing the same stupidity again.

Anyway, it's not that visible unless you stare at it. I thought my love for her will diminish but the opposite happened because no other RSoD Sakura has that kind of mark on her nose. It's a proof that she is mine. :3 She also has light scratches on her forehead that you have to find to see. I didn't know where it came from. O.o

5. All dolls are prone to some kind of damage unless left indefinitely boxed up.

My girls and boy occasionally get a minor scratch, a random black mark or streak in their MSC (full body blushing, never again~). I attempt to fix it with either a cleaning sponge or some light sanding with 1,000+ grit sandpaper. I'm never upset unless there's some kind of damage to the faceup, a scratch in MSC or what have you. I've always tried to take the best care of my things so it just comes naturally for me to want to fix them as immediately as it happens.

It's less nerve wrecking if I look at this way, the only damage that can't be permanently reversed would be yellowing, cracking, deep staining or shattering. A good bit of sanding can fix almost anything else. :3

6. If my doll has flaw, scratches or marks, I think I will be getting very upset ~ :...( But still love it ~ :aheartbea

7. One of my MSDs was in a car accident and ended up with a shallow scratch in her leg and a deep nick in her forehead. I buffed out the leg scratch and didn't even bother with the forehead one because its under her wigs. When my dad found her and gave her back to me (she'd been thrown out of the car) I think my friend who'd been driving and my dad were more worried than I was about damage done to her. To this day I just laugh and don't even think about it until things like this or when I'm changing wigs and notice it.

And my Angelregion has Dollmore hands I sort of messed up the joint on and a pretty deep scratch in his neck from when I was removing the breasts to make a girl body a boy body and it doesn't bother me at all. I know they are going to have flaws. Its part of the character of the doll. I know there's going to be damage and flaws and yellowing in the future and I want to play with my dolls. Not hide them in boxes worrying about everything. At the end of the day, they're dolls and if it bugs me that much I can replace or fix it. Until it does bug me I don't sweat the small stuff.

8. i apparently scratched up my girl real good the day i got her... and dropped her headcap... but i still love her. her clothing covers it all up anyway so i dont even know its all there unless i strip her down or something.

9. My oldest boy has been with me now 2 1/2 years & has also been the one who has been on the most and longest trips with me. He has been scuffed, dinged and dented but I love him still. My DIL gave my boy a new face up and better suited his aging as he wasn't 17 anymore in my eyes but a more mature 24.

10. Don't know if I responded to this, but I tend to be a tad...irresponsible with most of my stuff.:sweat I'll admit it. I pull my iPod by the headphone cord, I throw my clothes around, I let things just pile up.

But I'm different with my doll. I think part of the reason is that I bought her, rather than got things during the year with/from my parents, so I feel more responsible in terms of doll care. Plus, I've looked at DoA long enough to know the ins and outs of doll care, and being that I don't feel brave enough to do some of what's been described, I try to keep her in as good a condition as I can. A minor scratch that's not too noticeable is fine with me. Broken fingers, or major issues is another thing.

Also, believe me: nothing motivates you to keep your doll in a good condition more than parents who don't approve. I also keep Emma as safe as I can so that she doesn't get seriously damaged, and my parents have one more thing to gripe about in terms of my dolls.

Sure, she's fallen once or twice, but luckily our apartment is almost 100% carpeted, so she never had an issue. She does have a strange spot on the bottom of her foot that I've yet to take care of because hey - it's the bottom of her foot. It's not a big issue to me.

11. When Blake fell off the windowsill I was panicking like a lunatic, seeing as I've not had him for long. I checked him out and apart from the fact that his headcap was broken (worst moment of my life, but it got fixed) he had a tiny scratch on the bit between his eye and eyebrow. At first I was like OMG, but then I realised it was a tiny mark and his hair covered it. So I'm ok with it.

12. A while back I discovered that the outfit of my Spiritdoll Dark (fullset jacket) had quite a dangerous zipper ... During transport it made quite a few scratches in the sealant of the faceup on the left lower chin.
      When you don't know, you won't notice... But it annoys me a bit that with a little more smart thinking I could have saved the faceup. So yeh, I pack him more careful since, but don't love him any less than before :p