1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

For clothing, what kind of closures do you prefer?

Jul 31, 2010

1. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I tend to use Hooks and snaps for the most part.
      Sometimes I use lacing too, but that is a lot of work to take on and off, so I don't use it on clothes that I am making for other people, I don't mind having to remove the head ether, but again, I wouldn't use this solution if I were giving away the garment.

Which seems more professional to you?
      I don't think velcro unprofessional as long as it is well hidden, I think it all comes down to the design of the garment what closure fits best.

Would you buy clothing with closers you don't like?
      As long as it is a well made piece of clothing, that looks good on the whole, I don't really care about the closure

Would you make clothing with a closer you don't like?
      If I thought I could improve the design of a pattern by changing the closer, I would do it without further thought.

2. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I prefer snaps in general because they're the easiest to work with. Hooks are fine too. I do prefer buttons for a more realistic look however but they're a pain to work with!

Buttons; they're harder to work with and the buttonholes need precision to be well-made and not just get torn after some use. Other than that anything that's well-hidden is professional enough for me.

Yep, as long as they're nice clothes and fit my dolls' styles.

Yes, if I thought the piece of clothing would look better like that.

3. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I like zippers myself - but it depends on the garment mainly.
      Closures that fit the garment - buttons w/real button-holes, zippers on jeans!!, things to scale.
      Certainly - depending on price & my ability to alter it. I've gotten several jeans on sale that don't have zippers (a peeve of mine) & will at some point add them.
      I'm doing a winter coat right now w/bound buttonholes ~sigh~ Not that I don't LIKE them but OMG they are hard enough to do on human size garments! But my boy Jason's a fashion whore & would NEVER wear a bargain basement coat.... so gotta do it.

4. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Snaps--Good if not visible.
      Velcro--OK
      Hooks-- OK for certain things.
      Buttons--Good. They can be a bit of a pain to put on and off, but if they show, like on shirts, I like them.
      Lacing-- Good.
      Having to take your dolls head off--Forget it! Deal-breaker for me. Don't like taking head or hands or parts off...
      Zippers!!! ---I usually really like these!

Do you think using things like velcro is unprofessional?
      No. If it's done well-- hidden, not bulky, easy to use, well attached, then it's fine.
      I like a certain amount of ease-of-access--so anything that looks correct and makes putting on clothes easy--that is good. And it should also look right for the outfit.
      What seems slightly unprofessional are attachments that are bulky or that show or that look bad--or missing closures (I've bought trousers without zips or velcro in the fly and sometimes they will gap, which is a big bother!).

If you didn't like hooks, but saw a dress you just had to have, only to find out it had hooks on it... would you still buy it?
      Yes I'd buy with hooks... because I don't mind them so much.
      I didn't buy a piece that had a lot of lacings in the back and was sewn closed in the front where it should have opened... I wanted to be able to open the front! And lacing up the back each time would have been OK on a corset, for the look, but in this case I didn't like it.
      Usually, I would buy because I am OK with most closures as long as they work and they look right.

If I thought the snaps wouldn't hold or would gap or wouldn't look right, I'd do something else, but sometimes a snap is what works best, so I'd do it. I guess I'm not AS picky about the type of fastening... I just want them to look right and work right! And not be incredibly difficult or bothersome to use.

5. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Invisible zippers

Invisible zippers seem pretty professional to me since it blends in at a seam.

I have some blouses with snaps in the front and back and they aren't visible, but snaps can be too bulky

If I were making clothes then I'd make a pattern that calls for a zipper :)

6. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Do you like Snaps, Velcro, Hooks, Butons? Maybe lace or no closer at all (having to take your dolls head off)?

I like snaps, zippers, and functional buttons the most. Lacing, I only like it in certain situations, like corsets. I don't like hooks very much. Velcro, I'm okay with it if it's thin. Some velcros are way too thick for doll-scale work. Clothes that requires taking the head off, I would only use it if the styling is something I want very particularly. I don't photo my dolls from the back very often, so an opening in the back to avoid taking off the head is fine with me even if the equivalent human outfit wouldn't (like a turtleneck or tight t-shirt).

Do you think using things like velcro is unprofessional?

I don't really think any of it is unprofessional. It's sloppiness and shoddiness that's unprofessional.

If you didn't like hooks, but saw a dress you just had to have, only to find out it had hooks on it... would you still buy it?

I would have to want that particular thing a lot to deal with something I don't like.

If you were following a pattern and it called for snaps, but you absolutely hated sewing them on, would you still do it?

No. I'd modify the pattern accordingly. If I have a choice, I wouldn't deal with stuff I hate.

7. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      i prefer Snaps and buttons. lace maybe, but Velcro and no closers at all, no.

working button are the most professional to me because it makes it seem more realistic, as if it's real clothes for little people
      but velcro makes the clothes look cheap to me. it's like buying clothes for barbie and ken dolls. like if im going to spend $10-$20
      on a shirt i want it too look nice and to stand out rom oher cheaper doll clothes.

most likely not. i would get annoyed with it.

not at all. i would try to find a way to use a closer i like to substitute it with.

8. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I think snaps would be the happy medium between quality and ease of use.

No, not necessarily. Don't we all have a few cheap articles of clothing that we mix in with our high end stuff? ;)

I typically have to do adjustments to the clothing I buy for my large BJD - Ha Yarn cho from Dollmore. For some reason, nothing ever fits *perfectly*. That said, hooks or buttons spaced a few cm apart would make the clothing more able to "fit," while velcro is just that - unless you want to put more strips of velcro on the closure, in which case if you're making the closure very tight fitting then the extra velcro piece would be visible.

No, I use a hot glue gun for stuff like that - if I were to sell the item to someone else though, I'd probably just bite the bullet and sew it anyway.

9. I love vintage dresses

10. I prefer girly lacy dresses