1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

For those of you with dolls who have lovers.. (or want one)

Jul 4, 2010

1. Do you prefer to have your doll to fall for one of your own dolls or someone else's? Why?
      If someone else's. In person or internet?
      Well... When I first really started learning about the character part of ABJDs I was very much 100% for having dolls in relationships with other owner's dolls. This is also mainly because a whole ton of my RL friends already had dolls of their own.
      Of course, I felt and still moreso feel that my dolls should have lovers who belong to someone else (owner-wise).
      My feelings about this are waning with time though. And I do prefer it being someone in person, cause I've already discussed these issues with my friends. Over the internet... All sorts of disaster could happen. In person, you kinda just... Live with it.

If you have the choice of either (ruling out financial problems, originality or lack of, etc), which would you prefer?
      At this point it would just depend on how each doll feels or looks with one another.
      I still prefer having another owner's doll being their lover.

If your doll's significant other has a different owner, do you take pictures, role play, chat in-character, have their own backstory figured out and planning their future or anything else with said dolls?
      Haven't done any activity yet. Just friendly shots hanging out.

If both your own, what do you do to enjoy said relationship?
      N/A

2. Do you prefer to have your doll to fall for one of your own dolls or someone else's? Why? All my dolls are based on characters I roleplay with a friend of mine, so their partners are determined before we even get the dolls. And because of that, my best friend will also own most of the dolls that are in relationships with mine. ^_^

If someone else's. In person or internet? It's someone I know in person. I would feel a little awkward 'having a relationship' with someone I don't actually know.

If you have the choice of either (ruling out financial problems, originality or lack of, etc), which would you prefer? Well, I have vinyl dolls of a couple that I play by myself, as well as a pair that we split between us, but I'd say I like both options just the same. It's convenient to have the pair together all the time for when the mood strikes me to take pictures, but it kind of feels like there's something nice in the rarity of having them together, as well. ^_^;; Maybe that's just me and the characters that live in my head, I don't know.

If your doll's significant other has a different owner, do you take pictures, role play, chat in-character, have their own backstory figured out and planning their future or anything else with said dolls? All of the above. ^_^; Their backstories and future were determined LONG before we even thought about having dolls, and we roleplay them all the time. I take pictures of them as a family every time they're here at my house.

If both your own, what do you do to enjoy said relationship? Mostly I'll just pose them together. Sometimes playing with them as a pair gives me inspiration for scenes I need to write between the two.

3. Do you prefer to have your doll to fall for one of your own dolls or someone else's? Why?
      Definately my own. I have witnessed waaaaaaay too much drama when it comes to this. You are dependant on another person for what your doll 'does' in stories and such, and that's just not my cup of tea. I'm a solitary person and I prefer to make my own decisions.

If you have the choice of either (ruling out financial problems, originality or lack of, etc), which would you prefer?
      I would still chose my own dolls. I could buy exactly the dolls I wanted to be a pair and style them the way I love.

I don't do much honestly. I just take cute pictures together. Nothing dirty. Guess I'm boring like that.

4. Hmm.. my dolls have lovers.. which are owned by my own lover.. XD
      so well.. it's quite fun, we do rp a lot with them and take them when we go see eachother and take pictures and stuff..
      we didn't think about the relationships beforehand. It just kinda happened in the rp.
      Sometimes I would like to own both lovers so I could take more pictures of them when I think of something but otherwise it's fine if they're owned by someone else :)
      It did happen one time that when one of the lovers was sold the other followed soon after that.. but by then the relation had bled dry.. ;) but it didn't really cause any problems.. (yet ;))

5. I'd have to own both dolls for myself. Right now we're just looking for the right guy to fill the shoes of the character I have planned.

Besides.. I don't know anyone else with dolls! I couldn't have my doll have a relationship with anyone else's doll anyway!

6. I think that it would be awesome if I was dating someone for them to have a doll for one of my girl's too. The only thing is that the two girl's I have right now are OC's so it would not make sense for someone else to create a character to date them, since the only one who would be dating already has a complicated enough love life. LOL

But I am currently working on developing some new characters that don't have direct associations with the other ones, I think that for these characters it would be a lot of fun to work with someone else on their relationship. At least this way when/ if I break up with that person then I would have my doll who would understand what I am feeling I guess.

7. Having tried it both ways, I prefer to own both dolls. As some others have mentioned, my dolls are characters from a universe I've been developing for a long time, and fitting someone else's concept into their world wouldn't be comfortable for me. I've had them involved with other dolls in the past and it just didn't work out.

Interestingly, I'm an active role-player and I don't find that having their significant others either preplanned or shelled affects my ability to play with them at all. I'm flexible enough in my timeline and characterization that I've had no trouble shipping some of these characters in a RP context -- but that exists entirely outside of the universe I have at home.

8. I used to have "outside the house doll relationships", but no more. My dolls sort of got claimed by other people, who in some cases didn't do anything with it, but would get upset if I did something with my doll they didn't like, or what Snow said: too much drama. You think it's something special and fun, but I'm glad that I no longer have to wonder about what some other person who never paid one cent for my doll worth hundreds of dollars would think if I did this or that with my doll.

Now that I have a "couple" at home, it's so much more fun. I can take cute "love bird" photographs when it suits me or put the dolls next to each other without having to meet up with someone first.
      It's still fun to take pictures of my dolls together with other people's dolls at meet ups, but on a very basic level. Nothing more.

9. Do you prefer to have your doll fall for one of your own dolls or someone else's? Why? I suppose it would be easier with my own dolls, but for now, my Gerard is dating my girlfriend's Penelope.

If someone else's. In person or internet? My girlfriend and I are currently considered "in person" since I'm living with her for July, but we live on opposite sides of the country. I think in person is much easier. The internet can make it quite limiting.

If your doll's significant other has a different owner, do you take pictures, role play, chat in-character, have their own backstory We have a story for Gerard and Penelope, and once Gerard has some clothes (because he is quite new), we will take pictures of them.

figured out and planning their future or anything else with said dolls? Penelope and Gerard are going to break up and my Gerard will be with my other doll, and Penelope will eventually have a new lover. It's just easier to not have a couple across the country. My two dolls were made to be together anyway.

If both your own, what do you do to enjoy said relationship? It will be much easier when I'm home to take pictures of my dolls as a couple rather than trying to having a long distance doll relationship. It's bad enough my girlfriend and I are long distance, we don't need our dolls to suffer, too!

10. Do you prefer to have your doll fall for one of your own dolls or someone else's? Why? Mine! That way they won't get lonely if I can't see the other person for a long time.

The fact that I can take pictures of them whenever I want :)

11. I have done both. As of now, and over the course of the rp, the other player has semi vanished. I ended up buying the dolls she rped, just so mine don't get lonely, as it were.

12. Eventually, I would like all of my dolls to have a "lover," "friend," etc. Usually I just like how certain dolls look with one another, even if they just sit there and look cute.

I'm not really a role-play type of person, so if my doll is going to be "coupled" with another, I would rather own it. However, my doll Lily "has a crush" on Kim's badass Kamui, but from the annoyed look of this particular doll, he doesn't like her. ;) It's really more fun to joke around with at meet-ups than anything else. As long as Kim has this doll, and until I get a Volks SD13 boy to go with my Volks girl, the crush will continue, haha.

13. How do you role play with dolls? I hope that doesn't sound rude, as I'm just curious. I have not heard of doing such things before, are the stories and relationships established in talking or in writing? I'm just curious to know what that would be like and how it's decided. Sorry to get a little off the original topic, I'm just interested in how that would play out.

14. Do you prefer to have your doll fall for one of your own dolls or someone else's? Why?
      Two of my dolls are lovers. The 3rd one fancies other owner's doll.

If someone else's. In person or internet?
      I prefer in person, to be able to meet that doll and to shoot random love stories))

Both ways are a lot of fun.

If your doll's significant other has a different owner, do you take pictures, role play, chat in-character, have their own backstory figured out and planning their future or anything else with said dolls?
      We do not plan the future, the other things are just as you described – roleplay part, taking pics, and even the backstory.

I do near the same – shoot photostories, have a backstory and describe their relations in character.

15. Role play, at least when it comes to the internet, means when you have a character and you do writing based on said character and build on his or her story from there on (and backstory seems to be more popular these days as well). Typically when I think of role play or role playing, is when my character interacts with another writer's character through our third-person point-of-view based story writing that we send back and forth between each other and the timeline and events change according to what's happening in the story. So instead of yourself being the sole writer of a certain number of characters, you have the advantage (which I guess more people find to be disadvantage from what I've read on this thread so far) of someone else taking control of one or however many characters you both agree to take control of. Pick a starting point that you both agree on and go from there. And to me, role playing with dolls is no different than role playing with a thought up original character of mine, only, they actually have a physical form in the shape of a resin doll. (Or in my case, my dolls tell me who they are. I'm a special case like that. lol) As for "talking", I'm more specialized in the role play department, I guess so can't really answer for that. I actually prefer internet vs in-person meetings. xD; Internet seems like you're playing the roles of the dolls more than the fact that you're talking -for- your doll if it was in-person.

It's been ages since I've been in a good role play though. So I wouldn't know what's popular to do or not these days. xD;

But back on topic, I guess not many people would want to even role play out a more romantic/intimate relationship with other people's dolls?

16. I actually do not feel the need to find a lover or anything of that kind for my dolls... they are dolls xD
      They are also the representation of characters I created (most of the time) before getting into BJDs so most of them already have a whole story behind them and even if I do not have a doll for them, they sometimes already have a "love life" =3
      Most of them don't though since I am not done making everything permanent so having them as BJDs help find out more about the character ^^
      But I'm more of a fan-service girl anyway so lover or not I'd still take picture of any of my boys or girls together... Its not like it as any impact anywhere xD

17. Mine are all here, although only one pair has actually managed to get itself introduced so far (ahh the perfectionist strikes again). I have had quite the saga finding just the right girl for them. (It would probably be a lot easier if they were gay, given how hard it is for me to settle on girl dolls... but I fear I'd not be able to do such a relationship justice).

I couldn't manage the distance relationship. While I've seen a couple of excellent instances of two owners swapping dolls back and forth I've also seen unmitigated disaster that not only ruined the dolls' relationship but the owners'. Too sad. I love bantering back and forth, but anything more serious than that needs to be between dolls that are HERE and over which I have whatever control they give me. :)

18. Most of my dolls represent characters from a very richly detailed RP universe that me and one of my best friends have been writing in for 8 years. The characters existed long before the dolls, and they will exist long after the dolls. Said best friend owns my fave doll's lover, and we live a considerable distance apart. Them being apart doesn't really affect our day to day writing of the characters since the dolls to us are like fanart representations. Things we can photograph, so it's a nice treat when we visit each other to take pictures of them together, but it is not essential for our enjoyment of them. That is much more dependent on our co-writing.

It's not something I would randomly do over the internet with people who are not good friends, though, as I am very finicky when it comes to RPing and how it's done.

19. Why do the sweet girls always like the bad boys who aren't good for them?

20. I am such a control freak about my own story telling, and as such am a terrible RPer. xD So I can't imagine working with other people's dolls. Also, story lines clash. My dolls inhabit both fantasy and real life, and so wouldn't be able to roll with other characters whose storylines differed. It'd be strange.