1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Friends flippantly joining hobby?

Oct 2, 2010

1. Actually the comparison is spot on, not a fallacy. I love the black label and pink label collections. ^^ I'm tempted to dump a ton of money into it like as in blow a whole paycheck. Just because a barbie is less than a resin doll, doesn't mean you can't spend the same amount of money. My roommate fell in love with the Liv dolls. Do you know how much she spent the first night she saw one? 120 dollars. I repeat that's the first night she saw one. Since then she's spent way more. *shrugs* so yes, the argument is valid. All hobbies are like this <.<

It's not bad advice, no... but how often do you actually do it? What I mean is this. If a friend told you they were buying a new flat screen tv would you tell them to do research? Blue Ray player? Computer? Because all of these are in the same category if not more. If most of us are honest, we wouldn't. We'd figure common sense would prevail. And that's truth about dolls to. Even if someone didn't do their research and just bought whatever doll they saw, well so what? In the long and short of it, they had the money, even if it mommy's and daddy's, they still had the money to spend. A friend of mine's step son wanted a wii cuz it was the latest thing, it didn't matter that everyone told him, no, he still wanted it. It wouldn't have mattered how much research he'd done, he decided he wanted it. So he got one. Then he didn't play it. How is that any different?

BTW dolls aren't anymore of an expensive luxury purchase as new gaming system, a new tv, or a new computer.

2. It is a debate forum. We all give opinions. In a debate you form arguments so if you didn't want to argue how did you end up in this crazy place? Also, giving your opinion is not policing anything so your comment is lost on me. I am not a fan of collectors hanging out on the board and talking about who should and should not be in the hobby. It is not a generous way to behave toward new comers. Its a simple idea and one I am willing to argue for.

By the way if you want to call me "snarky" just do it full on. You don't need to sneak in a smiley face. I am not going to hold it against you.

I just realized you are in Kamloops! OMG are you the only doll owner out there?

3. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby?

Oh, hell yeah! That's part of the fun, isn't it--sharing your passion with others?

And resented them for it afterward?

No, not at all. Why on earth would I resent someone for liking what I like?

For jealousy or envy, or any other reason?

If I were jealous of someone, it wouldn't be over a doll. As it happens, I consider jealousy a waste of time and energy. Besides, I'm so blessed that I feel no need to be envious of others.

Did you feel bad or guilty about feeling that way?

See above.

How did you get over it/ Are you over it?

Got over it before I got started. :)

4. Just wanted to say I acknowledge your point, and the reason why I was calling BJDs 'expensive luxury goods' was because I agree with what you're saying here about BJDs being no more luxury than upmarket electronics. My first response when anyone tells me they're looking into buying something on this sort of continuum is "Oh really? What are you getting?" And usually the person telling me about their new purchase tells me what they are getting and why. (e.g. "Well, I was looking into different styles of Plasma, but eventually I settled on an LCD instead because they last longer, and the picture is slightly clearer. I'm getting the -Insert TV brand here- because it has the highest resolution at the cheapest price.") The why' is generally indicative that the person talking about the good in question has done some sort of research. If I don't get the why, I usually ask why they chose that one, and if I don't get it then ("Oh, I dunno. It was the first one I saw"), I usually reccommend that the person in question does some research before making a purchase.

As to the point about the Barbie being an accurate example - conceeded, though it does link to the main concept I was getting across when I was using the initial Barbie analogy; that there are luxury versions of readily available commodities, and that the more luxury the version, the more research that I believe I (personally) would do.

I don't really agree with the Wii analogy though - With the Wii you only really have two choices: Do you want the white one or the black one? Extend it a bit and you have a choice between 3 different consoles (PS3, Wii, XBox). In Dolly-dom there are many different sculpts and companies to choose from. It may come down to "I want that one and no other" in the end, but there's a difference in the scope of choice between wiis and dolls.

5. Dolls, as a human likeness are in my opinion diffrent from a blue ray dvd player, in that no one projects a personality on a DVD-player or or flatscreen TV (or at least know one i know). Dolls can become more special because of this.

6. I sometimes muse what a non-humanoid object's personality would be like :D but that's just when I'm being silly~
      Anyways, I agree, this does set them apart in a couple ways.

7. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby? All of mine have resisted so far. My brother (who collects action figures) thinks they're great, but he's not into BJDs himself.

And resented them for it afterward? I probably wouldn't resent them for getting into my hobby, especially if I helped someone get into the hobby!

For jealousy or envy, or any other reason? The only reason I can think of would be if my friend developed an unattractive elitist attitude as a result of joining the hobby. Elitism isn't widespread but when it does pop up it isn't very attractive and I wouldn't want people thinking I held those views just because I helped this person get into the hobby. Reputation is important here, and I wouldn't want mine affected by the actions of someone else.

8. Hah well, while I see your point, I probably would tell them to do a bit of research. :3 But maybe that's because I'm too over-cautious, and I would not want my friends to make a huge investment in something that would turn out crappy. I spent hours agonizing over reviews and brand names and models of cameras before I chose mine, and it turned out that it wasn't nearly as strong as the company made it out to be; I should have read more reviews on that one, the LCD screen was inclined to break a lot. (Which it did! Wahh! )

But I wouldn't want my friend to make the same mistake. :D Speaking of which, I recently showed her some LUTS dolls that she absolutely went crazy over. =^////^= It was so cute!!

9. Thats kinda..cute i think.

10. Kind of OT but the Brave Little Toaster, comes to mind.

11. Speaking as somebody who's done numerous "help desk" stuff with computers (including building them), I don't normally have a problem with buying what you want. If you decide that $5000 laptop is what you need without doing any research, go for it!

When it does effect me is when the person drops all that money, fills it up with viruses, and then whines to me about fixing it. In doll terms this would be like buying a Soom MD fullset, dragging it through the mud, then coming to me for cleaning help. You don't have to do research if you don't want to. But don't expect me to fix problems that could've been prevented by research.

12. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby?

Yupp!! Two own dolls of their own now! and 3 more WANT. One even told me if I ever wanted too sell, contact her first ^^

Not preticularily, I sold one doll too a friend (which I was planning to sell anyways) and I haven't seen the doll since: I hope he didn't end up at the bottom of a box somewhere :(

Sometimes it almost seems like my friend who wants me too sell is pressureing me; but I dont really think she is.

No resentment, just curiosity

and no, I just know that she's a bit akward sometimes ^^

A bit.

it's her doll now, she can do what she wants with him, in all honsety.
      And
      She actually is living in Tailand at the moment, so we don't even talk very ofter ^^;

13. Sorry Isenn, I just felt attacked when I got quoted like that o_O *not used to it*
      The smiley face was all me! My comments are usually saturated with them... just to let you know I was smiling when I wrote it, not grumbly!

There is at least one other person who lives in Kamloops that I know of. I wish my friends didn't think dolls are for kids~

14. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby?
      Yup, quite a few.

Um, never.

Has a friend ever bought the same sculpt as you?
      Yes, so many! XD I love it. Honestly I do. I believe all dolls are unique anyway, so owning the same sculpt means pretty much nothing, just how you style it. I'd be really flattered that my babies influenced someone else to buy one of the same. *winks at Isenn*

Dolls of the same look very very nice together in photos. That's why some people like to buy twins, but since I have friends who have the same sculpts as me, I've managed to withstand that temptation to buy two of a kind.. for now =_='

Did it almost make it feel less special if someone close to you just decided to get it, the first doll they ever saw, because it was 'pretty?'
      I'm pretty sure the reason any of us buys our dolls is because they're "pretty". Is there really any other reason? O_o Great poseablilty, resin quality.. isn't that just an extension of "pretty"? I'm a little confused.
      If theres one philosophy I try my best to live by, its "Don't compare someone else's outside with your inside." All these dolls are very expensive and I'm sure that even though your friend may have seemingly got it faster or seemingly doesn't play with her doll.. nobody really knows. In the end all that matters is that you love your own doll.

N/A

15. Not really. My friend and I have been into BJDs but never knew much about them or were sure if we wanted to get into the hobby until after we saw one at Walmart (XD a woman and her daughter had two with them while we were in the fabric section). We have similar tastes in dolls but we only have 2 out of MANY molds that we like so much that we are interested in but it's not a big deal seeing as we both have different ideas for those molds. So no, I don't really feel any regret for wanting to do this hobby with my friend. And even if we do have the same interests, we're really open about it and it's obvious that we will end up with dolls that although are the same, their personalities and looks will be completely different from each other.
      I actually was worried that if I was interested in the same one that it'd be awkward between us. But she's fine with it and we actually thought about making a sort of twin theme for the dolls at one point just out of fun. x3 I'm so happy I have a bestie like her.

16. yes, I thought when I quoted you that by omitting any use of word "you" my comments sounded more aimed at the general topic. I normally see most "quotes" as a spring board to talk about an issue. Anyway, I write in a very curt manner so I apologize if you felt attacked :) To me, you are a doll person so although we might not agree on all things here on DOA I hope we remain unified in doll geekdom eternal.

17. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby?
      Hell yes! All three of my closest friends from my school days now have dolls. Of course, all of them got their first dolls as gifts from me, but I made sure they were interested in them, and got a lot of input from them on the dolls. In two of the cases, the friends knew they were getting them as gifts. The other friend (Zei_Dead) thought I was buying the doll for myself to represent one of her characters, and she was really stunned and thrilled when she realized otherwise. (I have video. It is hilarious.) I'm pretty proud of that - keeping secrets in this group of friends is pretty hard. She's now found her second doll, and is saving up for him. The other two friends have not joined DoA, so most of their interaction with the doll community is through me (I point out new dolls and items I think they might like).

And resented them for it afterward? For jealousy or envy, or any other reason?
      Nope! I'm thrilled that we're able to share and enjoy this hobby.

Did you feel bad or guilty about feeling that way? How did you get over it/ Are you over it?
      Doesn't apply, since I bore them (and bear them) no hard feelings. I love talking about doll stuff with them. It also makes birthdays and holidays a lot less complicated, because I can buy them doll things.

18. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby?
      Yes
      Well, yes. But It was because she wasn't responsible enough to handle a doll just yet. Its like Ostrich said.
      Nothing of the sort! I wasn't jealous, I was just upset that this friend bought a doll having known nothing about the hobby, she only wanted one because I had one, which didn't make much sense to me because she's older than me xD There were quite a few incidents where she damaged my doll, the worst being her getting a whole new face up and me boiling dents out of her legs. Everyone makes mistakes, but she saw nothing wrong with treating a doll like that (I know I'm starting to sound like a 5 year old at this point) she never even said sorry to me, none the less someone elses property like that.She now had ordered her doll, threw her in a box, and put the box in the attic. :(
      Yes, I did. I felt really bad thinking that way
      To be honest I never really got over it... I would have been more than delighted to bring her into the hobby, if she would have at least researched some first. She ordered her girl even though she treated mine like that, what really hurt was that she never apologized to me, and now that she has her doll she's bored with it and it stays naked packed away in some random box in the attic . I haven't heard her say a word about her doll since January, and I just kinda feel bad for the doll.

*Long post is long, sorry xD but I wouldn't mind getting friends into the hobby and all that as long as they were serious. Buying one doll then throwing it in the attic and forgetting about it isn't being very serious.

19. I don't have any friends who are interested in dolls unfortunately.
      I don't think I would resent any of them if they were interested in buying one, because I've never been unable to buy one myself. I got interested in BJD after I had joined the work force, and $500 didn't take long to earn. My first job was fantastic, but unfortunately the company went under 'cuz the owner was a scam artist...:sigh
      It's a bit harder to save, now that I'm older and have bills and such, but it's still not a big problem.
      I'm definitely jealous of certain people sometimes, but it's an automatic reaction. I don't act on it, and I don't think less of others for my own inadequacies.

I do agree that people should do research before buying, but I just think that's smart. It's not so bad with inanimate objects, but I'm mostly sick of people buying living animals without realizing they're not at all equipped to care for it. It's not something you can just leave in a box until you've done the research later.
      However, I don't think not doing research means someone deserves a doll less. If you have the money, then you can buy it. There is no "deserve" in my eyes. Your money is yours to use. Dolls are inanimate objects and they are not "due" proper care.
      I don't want to see them end up in landfills or anything, but if someone wants to buy something expensive and waste it, that's their prerogative.

20. Have you ever turned a friend onto the hobby?
      YES!!! Only one, and it took ages, but she worked so hard to get her first doll and she loves it so much! I was so proud. <3

Absolutely not. I was so happy to make someone else see how beautiful dolls are.

I was jealous of her utter resolve, she had to save for so long to get the doll. I wasn't jealous otherwise though, just in awe of her good character.

Nope! She has inspired me to try to be better at saving. ;)

Instead if answering this, I'd rather express my opinion. A friend of mine turned me onto dolls and I know more than once I got on her nerves because of my extreme passion for the dolls that lit up instantly. Something about this hobby clicked with me and I wonder if she felt angry at me because I became so very into it and I liked to talk about dolls...A LOT. I could see how someone would get irritated about constantly being asked about dolls but I don't see how someone could be resentful just because someone else got into this hobby.

NEWS, PEOPLE: We are not special, unique snowflakes (a la Fight Club). Other people will (and do) share our interests and it's silly for us to get our panties in a twist because someone happens to share the same passions. Instead of beating against the bars of the cage you built yourself by thinking you're 100% unique, let someone into this aspect of your life and embrace your similarities! We are different in other ways, and we are different overall, but we do share the love of this hobby. After all is said and done, it's up to you to make sure your dolls are truly special to YOU, even if someone close to you gets the same sculpt. ;)