1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fullset or not?

Nov 10, 2010

1. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I have yet to buy a fullset. I only plan to buy 1 fullset as the entire outfit + the doll is what made me fall in love with him.All of the BJDs I currently have are basics

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

Either the dolls I ordered did not come in fullsets or I didn't like the outfit from the fullset which caused me to buy the dolls as basics. I wouldn't worry about being original or unoriginal as to me, dolls can look different from each other whether they're the exact fullset or not. Its all about how their owners portray them.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?

There is only one doll I would get with a fullset and that's because everything about the fullset has caught my eye(and stolen my heart!).

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

If you have absolutely no idea what other clothes from other dolls would fit the one you're wanting or you don't know how to sew, a fullset would be ideal so you don't have a naked doll for a long time. Its also about finances. I would have considered getting my pukifee Shiwoo as a fullset despite not liking his fullset outfit if it meant he wouldn't be naked as long as he was when I got him if it didn't add roughly $200 to his price.Getting him nude and obtaining clothes by commissioning or buying from users on DoA was alot cheaper than getting him in his fullset.

2. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Generally no. I traded for a sold out fullset once but I didn't end up using the fullset pieces really and I didn't end up really liking the doll either. I didn't use the stock eyes, wig, etc so it was kind of a waste anyway.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.
      I had a doll that wasn't selling as fast as I wanted and I saw a limited fullset doll in a mould I had liked at the time. I guess I figured since my doll wasn't selling anyway and the fullset made it a closer to equal trade that I would just try the other doll.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?
      Probably not... I'd look for splits or something.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?
      It MIGHT be a little cheaper but not always - especially if you're a good 2nd hand shopper for wigs/outfits and such. I wouldn't really encourage or discourage anyone from buying a fullset just because it's a fullset. If they love the doll, face-up and outfit then it's a great thing and if they can afford it I say go for it. If they like the mould but aren't sure on the face-up or outfit then it may be better to hold of. Everything is situational and depends on the buyers tastes for one thing.

3. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      ~
      I have yet to ever buy the fullset. I don't always like what is included, so it makes it not financially worth it. I know when you do the math, you are probably getting a good deal when you buy the fullset, but I rather spend the extra money on items that I actually want for the doll not what the company thinks is right for the doll. I like to change them up anyway, faceup, makeup and all...so I feel better when I am doing that with just the basic doll.
      ~Like I said above, I almost never keep a doll stock the way they come from a company, so knowing I am going to make changes to her in some way, mkaes me shy away from spending all that extra money in the beginnning. I save it for new things for her. And yeah, I guess part of me thinks that it is too generic to go with just what they pick out and sell as a set for the doll...too inside the box.

~
      It would have to be a rockin' fullset that had great core things that were versatile and all.

~I do think it is totally different for everyone. I would have to know a bit about the person before I suggested a fullset or not. I do think it can make sense for many people out there. But I also think there are plenty of people who won't benefit from that initial extra payout.

4. Oh I agree with you -- there's no reason why someone can't be just as creative with their fullset. However, for me, it's not about creativity or the lack there of, but whether or not the extra money is going to be worth it if I'm not going to end up using any of the stuff. Granted, if it's the only way to get a particular sculpt, that's a different story (though not one that's really been an issue for me...yet). However, if given the option, my preference is to go basic unless I know that I really want the gear that comes with the doll.

5. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I have actually (technically) bought two fullsets. The first time, it was because it was my first time buying a doll, and I was amazed at how much I was getting for so little. The second time, it was because I loved the clothes the doll was pictured in, but they weren't available for sale anywhere else, but on a fullset doll. I usually avoid fullsets, mostly because I prefer my doll(s) to arrive with little to no face-up. I like being able to look at the blank features and figure out their character or plan their character without influence from someone else's art style. And I feel bad wiping such a gorgeous face-up to put my own, less-than-stellar one on.

As I said, the first time was a second-hand doll on the MP, which had lots of clothes, factory face-up, and a couple of wigs to choose from. I have a terrible weakness for bargains, and at the price he was being offered, I couldn't say no. As for my second doll, I just really wanted the outfit. Plus, as a fullset, he came with the same color eyes I planned for him later, and I wanted to see if they would be the right shade/type. I know I'm going to feel bad wiping his face-up, but I have plans.

I go either way. I've bought floating heads with the intention of making them hybrids and have bought fullsets.

I wouldn't advise anyone about their doll, unless I knew them. If they want the fullset as opposed to basic, or the basic as opposed to fullset, who am I to tell them different? I know the draw of fullsets - they come with clothes, face-ups, eyes, wigs, shoes... everything so you don't have a naked, bald, potentially eyeless doll running around. While with basic sets, you might not even get eyes. Yet at the same time, basics sets are blank - and just waiting for the opportunity to be made into something as beautiful as their fullset self.

6. I actually don't particularly go for the fullsets because usually the fullsets aren't exactly what I want. Just sometimes they don't appeal to me as much as just the doll itself. If there was a fullset that appealed to me, then I probably would. I'm not sure if a first time buyer should or should not get it as a full set but again it depends on if they particularly like it or it doesn't float their boat. But it's mainly because it is a money issue. It's a lot more money to get it all instead of just the doll. So unless it's really something I can't live without, I don't really go for the full sets.

7. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Not really into them though two of my first dolls were bought as fullsets.

The first one did fit most of the way, they are various reasons as to why I decided to buy it like that and I don't regret it. The second one I buy it because I like how it looked, after a while I changed his appearance. I do prefer to just get the basic doll and customize it as I please or as I visualize his/her character, I believe you can still do this with a fullset doll. It's not unoriginal at all. You can buy it like that because you like how it looks (as I did) until you decide to do whatever.

If I like the doll enough and the circumstances and budget are in my favor then it doesn't matter if it's fullset, hybrid or basic. x'D
      That depends on what the owner is looking for. If you have an specific way you want your doll to be, then the basic would be the one as you then can make its clothes or buy them, select the eyes, wig, do their face-up...

8. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I'm another that's bought them in all forms, fullsets to basic dolls to bags of parts. (However, even when it's bags of parts, if there's an option to for the doll to come with a faceup, I take it, simply because I'm not good at doing them myself and even if the company faceup isn't "perfect", it's always going to be better (for me) than a blank doll staring at me or my attempts, and cheaper than sending the head off to someone else with international shipping two ways and paying them to do it. Unoriginal, perhaps, but necessary.)

If I want to buy the clothes, and I want to buy the doll, and a fulllset is available, obviously I'm going to buy that. The clothes don't necessarily have to be intended for that particular doll, they can fight over them when the stuff gets here. But often the doll just looks so good in the promo pics in those clothes that they're probably going to get some use out of them - my headless Sphaler's been wearing his fullset clothes ever since I got him, though I've had his head off trying to modify his faceup a bit for a while. At least his body looks pretty, and he's not indecent. These are usually the dolls that sell *themselves* to me.

In contrast, usually the dolls I buy to fit specific characters don't come as fullsets at all, their LE clothes have sold out and only the basic is available, or I don't like their fullset version, so they come as basics or unassembled, and then get their clothes elsewhere. Often thieved from a doll that did come as a fullset, either that I bought or that I bought from someone else that didn't, if I'm lucky. I find it easier to justify high prices for outfits that come as a set rather than mix and match pieces, personally, because they look nice and work well together.

Doesn't apply, as I buy everything. And there's no reason I wouldn't temporarily hybridize a doll I bought as a fullset, giving another head a chance to play around with said fullset doll's body and clothes - just because a doll comes as a fullset doesn't mean they're exempt from the "if the head matches and I feel like it today" sharing rule that I have with my bodies.

It depends entirely upon the sculpt they want and how it's offered and if they like the clothes available in a fullset. If the doll you want is *only* available as a fullset, and you don't know if it'll be released as a basic later, someone will always want to buy the outfit later even if you can't/don't feel comfortable with running a split, and you never know for sure if the doll will be the character you think they will be when they arrive, so they are a relatively safe bet, if you can afford it and are unsure (assuming the clothes aren't horribly ugly/badly made/overpriced with the set, of course).

If you're buying a doll that's not so standard in proportions (these seem to make up most of my collection...), you'll have something that *fits*, too. My Raurencio Studio doll was hanging around in boxers for quite a while, as I didn't buy any clothing from the same company with him and he (like the Unidoll boys) is much bigger around than most dolls of his height. Most of what I have for him is custom sized, anything ordered from MoC or Dollmore is just a wild guess on who it'll fit when it gets home - luckily I have some thinner guys and some taller ones that can wear what doesn't fit.

And what are you defining as "right", exactly? Dolls can change their hair, eyes, even body parts much easier than we can, is "right" a fixed arrangement, including clothes? Even after developing their characters, mine switch their eyes/hair/clothes around all the time, and with the exception of the bigger boys, cross-dress like fiends, too. But the fullset option gives them a nice, well-fitting set of (usually) fancy/dress clothes for when they need it.

9. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Not

They're too expensive to justify buying unless they're "perfect". Most, if not all, fullsets have something I don't like and wouldn't normally buy - for that sort of money it has to all consist of item's I'd like enough to buy on their own.

Not really applicable - my ideal styling for dolls doesn't seem to be anywhere near the "normal" taste of the majority in the hobby so it's unlikely there would be a fullset that would be perfect for me, many of my BJD's are hybrids so Ic an get the head and body combination I prefer.

I would advise them to get a basic so they can make the doll into exactly what they want form it rather than being constrained by keeping the fullset inttact in case they later decide to sell on the doll because it's not right for them. That's not necessarilyt he cheaper optuion if the doll then needs painting ain a specific way, a custom wig and a specific style/type/commission of clothing and shoes for it to be "right" for them, but atleast it's not "wasting" money on a doll that is complete in and of itself, but not necessarily what they actually want it to be.

Teddy

10. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I usually prefer dolls blank as the customisation part is what drew me into the hobby, but if a fullset is what I want or if I can't get what I want without buying a fullset, I'll buy a fullset.

I have one fullset doll that was exactly what I wanted except for the eye colour, but the doll was sent with a random pair of eyes. From wig, to face-up, to outfit, to resin colour, it was just what I had been looking for so I got the fullset. Why spend a lot of time searching to make something that is already for sale? The looks of the doll may not be my work, but I like the way it looks.
      The other few fullsets that I bought, I got because I liked parts of the fullset and I ended up customising the dolls just like I do with my basic dolls.

This all really depends. Someone like me who wants to get a doll because it is meant to customise, would be happy with a basic doll as it allows to fully enjoy the customisation process from the start. Someone who is a bit intimidated by the DIY aspect of the hobby, would perhaps be happier with a doll that's "ready for play" from the beginning. Fullsets can be intimidating, though. There can be sense of "pressure" to keep the fullset intact.

11. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I'm really neither. It honestly depends on what the fullset is offering, if I decide I want to buy it or not.

In the past I have bought 2 dolls as fullsets. Both for very different reasons.
      My first doll was a Soom Kyrie (Nevermind Fullset). She was my first doll, and I was very -noob- in the hobby. I liked the fact that this way she came with a wig and clothes and a faceup, and that I didn't have to go scavenging or paying (what I thought would be) millions of dollars for clothes for her. I learned better as I got more into the hobby (and into DOA), but I don't regret my decision. The set was beautiful and I thought made her character for me, and was something even I would wear.
      My second fullset doll was the more recent Fairyland Pukifee Luna. I loved the idea she was dressed up as Alice in Wonderland, but I had the set for not even a day before I sold it. I wasn't trying to price-gouge or do anything like that; It was just when I got it, tried it on her, I realized, "this is SO not what would work with her. Horribly cute, but no.". I don't regret this either, but if I were to do it again, I am sure I would more than likely buy her as basic.

Yes, totally. If the doll fits what I have in mind, definitely. If everything fits in place for what I character I am planning (or even if I don't have a character I am planning), I would get it as long as I liked what was being offered.

Well, as my first doll was a fullset, my mind-set and reasoning was definitely that it was "Easier, cheaper, safer, etc.". Knowing what I know now, I would only recommend it if the outfit fits the character intended, or if you just flat out like it, get it; but I would definitely inform the individual that that is definitely not their only method of clothes/wigs/etc. Lol ^^; but like I said, I would re-buy the Soom Kyrie Nevermind Fullset in a heart-beat, because it would even fit my ideal characters' personality (may not be her, but definitely someone else; I would find a use for it).

12. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I just got my first doll this summer, and I got him as a fullset--I fell in love with his face-up on the website, and I liked the clothes too; also as a first time buyer I wanted to have something to start with...
      ~ also, he's a slim MSD and I'm still nervous about buying him clothes because I'm worried about fit, so with the fullset I know I have a set of clothes that will fit him (and I'm still working on the making part...sewing doll clothes is hard >.>)

When I look at other dolls online I prefer to look at the fullsets--it helps me get a picture of what the doll could look like and a character idea because looking at blank dolls does nothing for me...
      If for some reason though I really liked a doll but hated their fullset clothes I would just buy the doll, and I'm not worried about originality--that's never actually occurred to me...

yes there might be a case where I would get a basic set instead--if the fullset was unappealing to me

I think it is somewhat easier/cheaper/safer to have a first doll with a firstset, although it's definitely not a must--I think it's also about how much you know about dolls/how much you're willing to try yourself on your first one (like face-ups), etc.
      I don't think I'll even consider trying face-ups for a couple more years, there's still a lot I'm learning

13. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I generally prefer not, but sometimes I DO want the fullset. It just depends on what the outfit is and what it comes with. My first doll was a fullset, which was wonderful. I knew he'd have everything he needed immediately and I'd have time to add/change things later. He didn't stay in the fullset very long (I changed his eyes immediately, hair as soon as the new wig arrived, etc.) but he's still wearing the pants. I would buy a fullset doll if it was right for my character, even if the outfit wasn't right, because there's almost always some piece that will work for someone else here. That said, I've bought exactly two fullsets ever. One was my first, the second is my most recently ordered - and with him I did NOT get the faceup done by the company. I really like that more and more often you can choose the parts that you want rather than being forced to buy all the pieces as a group.

I generally don't buy them because of cost, honestly, and because so many of them come with a faceup automatically included, and because most of the fullsets I've adored were available as basics without all the extra cost. So there is no reason, for example, for me to buy a fullset MNF Kyle with a company faceup, when I can buy the basic A-La-Carte blank and do the faceup myself. I loved the outfit on that fullset, but not enough for me to buy the whole doll to get it. If the doll was perfect, the outfit worked for me, and I liked the faceup, AND I had the money, sure I'd get a fullset doll! I have seen too many beautifully personality-filled fullsets to think it is unoriginal. It can be, I suppose, but it doesn't have to be. I fully plan to keep the new guy I ordered in his fullset outfit and wig, but he'll be my own original character even so.

I'll get whatever works best for my doll plans at the moment. If I'm in the market for a doll and a fullset is available that has a doll I want with an outfit and/or wig I like (even if that particular doll won't wear it ever), I'm likely to go for it. If the fullset is not perfect for what I need and there's a basic available, I'd rather have that. If the head's right and the body isn't? Hybrid time! Whatever works.

I personally really am glad I had a fullset as my first doll. I wouldn't have bought him if the fullset outfit didn't appeal to me and mostly suit the character he was supposed to be, but it did, the wig was wrong for him but exactly right for my planned second character, and it worked out perfectly. So I think it is often a good thing for a first doll especially. ONLY if the fullset is something the person likes, however. For example if the person wants all super-goth dollies and the fullset for the sculpt they want is a pale frilly sweet lolita thing, they'd be better off with a basic, IMO. Depends on the person, the doll character/style they want, how well the fullset fits their plans, etc.

14. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Personally I prefer not to buy full sets. My second doll has the option of coming with a fullset, but i didn't get it.

I didn't do it because it didn't fit the character I had in mind for the doll so instead of spending money on clothes the doll probably won't wear I could buy clothes that really fit the character I have in mind for the doll. I don't think its its unoriginal. I think if the fullset fits the character you want then go for it.

I am actually considering getting a fullset doll in the future. I really like the clothes and wig his fullset comes with and if people think its unoriginal then oh well.

I would say it depends on the person. Maybe if your a first time doll owner and overwhelmed with trying to find the perfect clothes for you doll and you generally like the fullset then it's defiantly easier. It could also depend on the doll, if the doll has a weird body and is difficult to find clothes for it could be easier to just get the fullset which you know will fit and cheaper instead of buying clothes that might not fit.

15. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I think it depends on the person, personally I don't like a fullset but it can apply on a condition, my fouth doll come in a fullset since I love the outfit and has several issues about bootlegs and recasting (so I decided to buy fullset)

Generally I don't buy it because of the cost, but if I fell in love with the fullset I will try to buy it fullset, its nothing to do with unoriginality for me ^^ that fullset doll will have their own story even if I ordered it fullset.

Well it really depends on the company and doll... I love to buy a fullset it won't make me confuse about the outfit and the eyes, if people think its unoriginal, it really they only think...

I would say it really depends on the person, if they want the fullset one considering the pricey or their originality, but I will not advise someone just give a vision about their future doll etc. ^^

16. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I used to like fullsets doll but now I am not.

With fullsets dolls, when I got them I drool over them taking photo like mad and then I don't have any activity with them. I don't have any urge to change their style because they are so perfect and they turn into a display doll for me which I don't like.

If that fullsets doll fit my OC I will get it.

I think this is individual, some likes to display their fullset dolls in pristine condition, some likes to collecting limited dolls, some like to play with them a lot but the point is just enjoy with this hobby.

17. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I love full sets personally. Five of the six dolls that have made their way into my home and stayed or left, have been full sets. My first doll was a full set which was great because I had some clothing for her, shoes and hair I liked. Then I got a limited, second hand full set girl, split off the outfit from the doll and sold it to someone who was wanting it. My big deal limited boy was a must have for the whole set because I loved his whole look. Sure, I've rarely had him in his default outfit since I got him and just got his face up redone to fit the character better, but I still have his things there for when I stick him back in his "normal" things.

No two dolls are the same, even with full sets. Brush strokes are different on the face ups, there's a slightly different colour to the eyes. Then you get them home and make them your own with their own story, personality and thoughts you have about the character and it's not unoriginal at all. Just because you have an elf sculpt in a full set doesn't mean you make it "the prince of elves" like someone else. Owners make their dolls whatever they want. Demons, gods, royals, fairies or every day people. Just because you have a doll with the same full set as someone else, doesn't make it a cookie cutter doll.

I have gotten one doll that wasn't a full set. He was the first MSD fantasy boy SOOM made. I ended up loving his human version and ran a split for people to get his fantasy parts, head, eyes and outfit bits. All I got in regards to full set was his face up and wig and that was because I never did a face up before and had no desire to try on a limited sculpt nor did I have any boyish wigs for his size. I've yet to try a hybrid, but I'm sure in time I will, full set or not.

If it's someone just starting like I was a year ago, I'd say maybe a full set is best just so you have the chance to get clothing, eyes, shoes (if part of it) and a wig that all fits your doll right off. It would have been a nightmare for me had I gotten my girl blank and the outfit I picked out for her not fit size wise as it would have been all the clothing I had for her. Luckily the clothing did fit but I had her default on hand if it didn't. Not to mention, it was her wide eyes and beautiful face up that sold me on her sculpt and I was lucky because my first doll looked exactly how I wanted her to look. There's no real "keep it this way" feeling I get with full sets, for me they're bonuses that come with a doll I already like.

18. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I like fullsets, sure, but otherwise I tend to buy my dolls completely blank.
      Although I did just order my first fullset which I'm pretty excited for~

A lot of my dolls aren't/weren't offered as "fullsets" at the time I bought them, and the closest to one would be purchasing a seam sanding or a face up. The fullset I have on the way, however, was offered as one before it was offered as a blank doll. It just happened to fit his character and I adore the default outift. Also I've never had a professional face up before, which adds to the excitement! Although I guess it really depends- fullsets can seem a little stale because it'd be like a carbon copy of a doll rather than your own personal, customizable one. But I don't think it's entirely unoriginal- each piece of clothing they come with could easily be fashioned into something else, whether it's for that doll or another. I'm a bit of a hoarder, so fullsets to me just mean adding to my wig, clothing, and eye collections :XD:

Well, since I go both ways, it's rather simple in say yes, I would xD My personal preference is a blank doll(I don't want to be roped into getting a 50$ face up and then suddenly having a need to get ALL my dolls 50$ face ups- I can't afford that! @__@), but I'm not above wanting a fullset should they come around.

Hmm... Well, I guess I do have to say it seems a tad unoriginal when I see first-time buyers start out with fullsets. I can't really explain into words, but it has something to do with the whole bonding and giving your doll its own character that might have to do with it. If you're new to the hobby and you get a fullset- everything's completed for you! The clothes, the eyes, the faceup... There'd just seem to be a lack of bonding or character development. However, this is of course just my opinion and not directed towards ANYONE who started out with a fullset doll :P (I myself wish I'd gotten at least some clothes for my first blank boy- he ended up wearing an old fingerless glove and cheap freebie wig for the first few months xDD;; -bad owner-)

19. Sometimes I do. I've seen plenty of full-sets that look good - except that the outfits tend to be way too extravagant for me. Most of the time, if I were to get a full-set, I'd get it minus an outfit, or even a wig (since sometimes the wigs are a little out there, too).

If there's a doll I like, it can be any doll. The 'unoriginal' part tends to go with the fact that the outfits are too much for me. If the doll has some crazy, mystical-like outfit, I'd probably not get the outfit because I don't want a crazy-mystical doll.

Once again, I would do both if I could.

I think it is easier - cheaper, probably not. But at least you know cost covers everything: wig, eyes, clothes, shoes... And you don't have to go around looking for your own stuff. It's all given to you.

20. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Definitely not. It just deosn't appeal to me although I almost wavered recently.

2. Why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

However well done or beautiful the fullset you are buying someone else's concept. I buy basic dolls and create things that are in my own head, that's the fun of it. I bought them some clothing so they wouldn't have to be nude while I create my own but eventually it will be all my own work. That's the whole appeal of BJDs to me

I was almost seduced recently by a fullset, but it was a passing fancy, I would soon of tired of the outfit and then it would have been a huge waste of money.

I wouldn't advise anyone for or against. Just be aware that you are paying a huge premium for an outfit/face-up that you may tire of. If you don't think that will become an issue then go for it. It just wouldn't work for me.