1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fullset or not?

Nov 10, 2010

1. I guess the two reasons i wouldn't buy a full set, is;

a) Expenses. It costs an awful lot more to buy a full set, and it's hard enough saving u for the nude doll, let alone for the extra..
      b) Preference. If you plan on making the doll unique, what's the point in having the full set when you're going to change them anyway? Also, it'd be a waste of money, should the doll not end up suiting the full set clothes any more...May as well save yourself some cash, buy the nude doll, and use the saved cash to buy what you really want! ^^ Plus, it doesn't make for interesting photo's if you just take pictures of a full set doll...you may as well just use the company photo's lol! xD

2. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

It depends on the doll. There are dolls I fell in love with the sculpt and have charecters, either existing OCs or ones designed just for them, that I intend to get. Then there are others where I fall in love with the doll as its pictured, and as such I'd much prefer the fullset, even just to start. I have a doll I just ordered that I'm getting as a fullset. But I do plan on giving her more clothes, and have an idea for some shoes I want to make for her. But at the vary least I know she will be dressed and presentable and beautiful before I can get things bought/made.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

Ok, I will admit I hate buying fullsets because it feels unoriginal to me. But, that being said, I know my doll, no matter how close they look in appearance, will ever be 100% identical to anothers. Therefore ordering a fullset isn't unoriginal.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?

Of course. I'm the sorta dolly lover that loves just about everything, depending on the situation. So fullsets or basic, It's a situational thing for me.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

Well, when I got Lestat I didn't get a fullset *doesn't think AoD does fullsets for basic dolls?* But I did get him fully clothed and wigged, since I got him second hand. I would recomend a newcomer to get a doll that has clothes, fullset or second hand, to getting a nekkid doll. Now this doesn't apply to those of us who can sew, of which I am not, but just to those who are more like me, and know they won't be able to make anything fitting for their dolly any time soon.

3. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      It totally depends on the doll. My dream doll Minifee Luka Silver Bird Fullset, part of his appeal is his fullset, as it is 17th century clothing that fits the character that I see him wonderfully representing (from a NaNoWriMo novel still in editing phase). Another doll who is ironically my dream doll's romantic interest, however, I have no interest in his clothes (Dollzone Cosmo). They might be okay for some other doll, but the odds are high I'll only be buying the doll when the funds are available. Some dolls I want the fullsets of because it seems to "complete" the doll to me, even if they won't wear that clothing all the time, and some I just want the doll to dress in my own choice of styles.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.
      I've already explained a bit of that, I don't really have a problem with the "unoriginal" concept. If it's pretty/attractive/etc and I want to spend money on a fullset, I will. I would have no problem with a Dollzone Morphoa who looks just like her Dollzone pictures and every other person who buys her and displays her as a fullset. (Yeah, she's on my extended wish list lol.)

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?
      Not sure this applies to me, unless you mean buy Cosmo's fullset just to get "extra clothes that might fit somebody else sometime" even though it might end up a waste of money. I miiight consider it, if the clothing is discounted for being bundled with the doll. Would I buy just the naked doll from a fullset I badly wanted, due to finances or the fullset no longer being sold? Yes. I can sew and there are people on DoA who can be commissioned who sew much better than I do. I'd figure something out, plus a large part of the fullset doll's appeal is the doll itself.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?
      Huh, y'know, I'd say almost automatically that a fullset is best for beginners... but my first doll was a buck naked Bobobie Elfkin, the only way they come, technically. I would recommend a fullset just because it is at least easier in knowing that the doll will have one outfit at least that fits right off the bat. But on the flip side, I would say it's not necessary if the first-timer knows enough about what they're doing, or is getting or making clothes from another source and wants more control over the doll's style than a fullset implies.

4. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Depends on the set.

I got my first doll as a fullset because I didn't want him to come naked. I had a different character in mind, but that got derailed once I got him in the mail and I still use the fullset pieces fairly often. But presently, I've moved to sewing clothes for me dolls so I don't think I'd mind ordering them naked now.

I've been looking into hybrids lately since I've got a floating head coming now and heads I've liked recently come with bodies I dislike. And as I mentioned, I'm sewing more now so I don't think I'd order a fullset again unless it really looked like something I wanted.

I guess a fullset would be cheaper if getting the pieces you want means ordering from five different sites and paying for lots of foreign shipping, but not cheaper if the outfit you want not the fullset is cheaper as a whole (i.e. fullset clothes is $100 but outfit you want is $50) and it is easier to some degree since you know the fullset from the company will fit (though thanks to this forum, it's easy to find out if something will fit or not). But it's mostly an aesthetics thing. Even if it's cheaper/easier to get a fullset, it's pointless to get one if it's not the aesthetics you want. I'd probably just advise people to get what they want. This hobby is expensive. You better spend your dough on what you really want.

5. If i love the fullset shape/character "as it is", i will buy it. If not, i'll better search for another opportunities.
      This situation was with my Raoul and Katze. There WAS an opportunity to buy them as fullset. But i preferred to buy a "nide doll" and to create their characters myself.

And Liam was bought as fullset, beacause i loved him, as he was )))

6. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      No. I've never bought or considered one.

Since this hobby has a huge emphasis on customization, yeah, I think it's a bit unoriginal.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?I might consider a fullset if I reaaally liked the clothes... But I definitely wouldn't leave the doll as it came. I'd have to customize it SOMEHOW.

In general I wouldn't really advise someone to go with the fullset unless they want a doll but aren't into the customization aspects. Starting off with the basic can seem a little overwhelming, but I think it's ultimately worth it to see the doll come to life through YOUR efforts.

7. I like full set, simply because the clothing that comes with the doll is usually the best filling and looking I ever find for it. even If I only use it for patterns, I only do it if the extra cost is not to much extra.

8. I think if I were to buy a fullset, I'd have to really like everything in it.
      I don't think it's about the character, since I could just sell the clothes or give them to another character. I guess it's just about value and convenience...?

9. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Not so much. I come by that opinion honestly too...I have four fullsets and barely use any of the parts at all from any of them.

I don't generally like to buy fullsets because I know I won't use them. I have a clear idea of what the character of the doll is going to be when i buy it and 99% of the time whatever it comes with is not it. I didn't buy the fullset that came with my IP Kamau and don't regret it at all, I never would have used it. I sold off the outfit that came with my LE Fullset Kara Klum and kind of regretted it cause I liked the coat, but then I got the second one and I don't use one piece of that outfit except the coat so it's a good thing I don't have two.
      The LE Bory from Luts I bought because I wanted the fullset (wings, outfit, the whole thing) and it's all sitting in his box. He wears the eyes and that's it XD
      the only real exception is my Catcher Ripley Days fullset from Dollmore. I was going to get that doll as a basic anyway so when they released him with a gorgeous faceup and a an equally gorgeous outfit I bought him...he wears the clothes and shoes he came with because that's actually all I have for him to wear XD

of course! if it's the only way to get a doll (WS Kara Klums are not available except for the LE Fullsets) I'll get it. And probably for the most part keep it, unless I really hate it or something. Or split to afford the doll easier.

It depends. on one hand, if a person is going to buy a doll and then have it sitting around bald, naked and blank for days it's much better to buy a fullset with a well done faceup that might not be 100% exactly what they wanted and an outfit that they might not be in love with IMO.

On the other hand I sold my first fullset doll because I was afraid to change her too much and I couldn't get past her "look"
      Of course I really can't blame that on the doll, I was newer to the hobby then. Now I'm not afraid to wipe faceups and do a little modding if it helps the doll/character work for me.

10. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      It really depends, but fullset.

When it comes to picking fullset or basic, it all depends on what I like and can afford. If I find the fullset concept cute (all the puki cupids!) or breath taking (IH Benny) and I can afford it, then I'll pick fullset everytime. If I don't like all the pieces of the set, or I can' afford them all, then I'll get the ones I like or just wait (Fairyland, Iplehouse).

There's nothing about buying a fullset that says the doll can only use the items from the set or keep the set makeup. It depends on the type of collector you are and has nothing to do with originality. One person sees a complete piece of art while the other sees a starting point.

Sure I would get basics and I do. Of the dolls I own, Adia (IH Benny) is my only complete fullset. When it comes to picking fullset or basic, it all depends on what I like and can afford.

It is hardly cheaper to pick the fullset over the basic! If you're planning modding and such, I would suggest passing on the fullset unless there are pices of it that will work with your idea. The only mod work I'm planning to do on my Mylo is face up and painting/blushing her parts because I didn't like what they offered. The only pieces of her fullset apparel I got were the oufit and wig because I liked them. It's a cliche response here, but get what you like or you'll regret it and/or end up spending more money than you intended. If you like the fullset then get it! If you sacrifice getting what you like because of what people might think or say then you'll just be unhappy and you'd've been better off saving your money entirely.

11. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

nope no full sets for me.

the full sets seem boring to me. The clothes are usually very fanciful and never fit my tastes. I like to dress my dolls casual. Plus full set dolls all look the same. i want a unique doll.

nah. they're not worth it to me. I like picking out my own wigs eyes and clothes.

I can't really advise against it or not it's all personal preference and in the end will probably cost the same as a basic set you need to go out and buy the other stuff for. So to each their own.

12. These are interesting questions you've posed.

1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Yes, I think I really prefer fullsets, when I can get them. Although if I really love a doll's sculpt, I'd buy the basic.

I find I am usually most attracted to a particular doll when I see it fully dressed. I don't really care if anyone else views this as "unoriginal". As Kim posted earlier, I don't usually leave my fullset doll dressed in it's orginal outfit forever. I often use the look of the fullset doll as inspiration to further refine the doll's look. But sometimes I just want the doll, and I don't care how it's dressed...like in the case of my Volks SD13G Shizu "Passion", she came with a kimono, but has only been dressed in it once or twice. Never the less, this girl has completely satisfied my "Madoka lust", and I adore dressing her in a variety of looks. On the flip side, I debated long and hard about Volks most recent release of SD16 Pearl, deciding that I really loved her outfit more than her actual facial sculpt. So I ended up passing on getting her for myself.

Yes, I would get a basic version of the doll if I loved its sculpt enough, even if I didn't care for it as a fullset, or if it was no longer available as a fullset. I'm actually in the process of buying a Pukipuki Pongpong basic, because I adore him, and he's long sold out as a fullset.

I think it's all a matter of personal perference. For example, if I'm getting a Volks limited, I would rather buy directly from Volks so that there's no question about it's authenticity, and if there should be any problem with it, Volks will make it right. Over the years, I've also gotten much more specific shall we say about who I'll buy a doll from on the secondary market. But if I'm asked for advice on buying, I always say follow your heart and always check the seller's feedback! ;)

Juli DC :)

13. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

It depends on the doll. I have one that I bought fullset. Three that were not.

A fullset doesn't have to stay exactly like the store pictures. That's an insanely limited view of how fullset buyers enjoy or use their fullsets. My fullset Celine is a cyberpunk mad scientist, and looks nothing like the elfqueen of the company photos. In my case both fullset and basic dolls had the same faceup, but there were several useful pieces of clothing and a free set of highheel feet that made it more cost effective to get my Celine as a fullset than as a basic. (I use her her leather bra, stockings, scarf, and boots, though not usually together. And I just don't use her D&D skirt, wig, or staff.) Any doll I've bought had a faceup already, whether it was default or custom. However they all get styled and tweaked, and I've never felt that any of them look just like all the other dolls of their sculpts out there.

If a buyer wanted to keep their fullset all together, that's fine too. It's their doll to enjoy however is right for them.

For me it's whatever gets me the right doll in the most cost effective way. If a fullset had just the perfect faceup that made me want that doll, it'd be the one to get regardless of what else was in the set. If the basic or hybrid got me the right doll, that'd be the way to go. If fullset and basic have the same face, it all depends on what's in the set.

I think it's certainly easier for someone new to the hobby to get their first doll complete right out of the box than it is for them the piece together their ultimate hybrid with detailed modding, custom faceup, etc. Attempting a very complicated custom doll as one's first experience has the potential to either be incredibly gratifying or completely overwhelming. The difference between basic and fullset isn't that big though, so it would depend very much on the person's situation. My only advice would probably be to make sure they had some kind of clothing and wig for whatever doll they got when/before the doll arrived. Having a lovely new doll sitting around bald, naked, and waiting for something to wear is kinda sad. :(

14. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Personally, I don't care. My real issue on any of it is money. I could A: Have a doll that I love, an outfit that works, a wig, eyes...and the whole thing for a large price, or B: Buy a basic doll without all of it's gadgets for 1/3 of the price. It seems more logical and financially better for me to go with the second option.

As a woman living with her fiance in their little apartment, it's hard to really talk myself into buying a doll. It's not as though we have huge debts or cannot pay our bills, but I like saving money and buying a doll that's even $300 is a nice dent in my savings. I don't think that it is unoriginal, but I also don't have any fullsets that "fit all the way".

Yes to both. I do like the fullsets because it comes with everything. If it's your first doll, you get a wig, clothing, etc. If not, then if you decide that you can't stand the clothing, you simply sell it. It retains it's value (for the most part).

Like I said before, if it's your first doll it's nice to have a fullset. That way you can have them arrive with everything and you aren't as overwhelmed. I know that I had gotten my first doll without anything. His previous owner however, had sent me with his old clothing, so I was able to dress him up. However when I went to a smaller size of dolls, I had nothing except a naked doll hanging around.

15. If a full set clicks with me, I buy it. If not, I get the basic. I think that's pretty much common sense, though. XD;; It doesn't mean my full set dolls stay in their fullset clothing and wig forever, but worrying about how 'original' you're being with your dolls is just silly. "Frilly little girl" has been done, whether I purchase the Fairyland full set or sew her dresses myself.

I also think this depends largely on the company you're buying from. A lot of my early dolls came from LUTS, when they didn't do full sets.

16. I just ordered my first doll and I'm getting her with fullset. I wasn't planning on getting a fullset doll, but I found one that I just thought was all around pretty dang awesome. I love her body sculpt and I loved the outfit!
      It definitely fits my character as the outfit she comes with is very elegant and I'm working on a theatrical character that loves to dress it up for special events, being that she is also a fashion designer and has her own fashion line, she has several dress to impress events in her calendar, and that outfit is definitely impressive!. Of course I'll work on my own fancy outfits and I will eventually change her face-up when I feel comfortable enough to do so, but the way she comes will work fine.
      I don't find it un-original at all. My character is still my character, and it's not ALL about the way she dresses or make up she wears, but the way I write her story, the way she poses, the photos I take and where I take them. I don't think getting a full set doll means your photos are pointless, repetitive, or boring and to just refer people to the company sight. There's many more things you can do with your doll same outfit and all.
      I personally prefer to see a owner fullset doll photo op than company photos.
      I'm not a full-set enthusiast, or hybird enthusiast I just go with what works.
      In this case a full-set worked out quite nicely for me.

^_^

17. Personally it depends for me. o.o

I mean, sometimes I see a fullset and I think, "WOW! I love everything about that doll!!" (For example, SOOM's Dec. 2010 doll they just released. Majorly in love with that doll. @@).
      Other times though, I see a doll I like and I think, "How cute! But I don't like the hair/clothes/shoes/eyes/etc."

It really just depends on the style of the doll etc. Even if I don't particularly like a certain outfit on the given doll... I may buy the fullset anyway because the outfit/wig/eyes/etc. would be perfect for a different doll I own. c:

So in the end it really just depends on if I like the specifics of the fullset doll or not. C:

18. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I don't prefer fullsets over "blank" dolls, but I don't have a strong preference for basic dolls either. Of the five dolls I own, only one was a fullset.

I chose a fullset partially because it was easier, and, at least for what I wanted, less expensive. Oddly, it's my most recent doll that was the only fullset. She's my first Pukipuki, and I knew that she would need clothes and a wig, but none of my other dolls could share with her until I got. The option to get everything together made the idea of getting a new size less scary. That, and she came with a faceup and sleeping faceplate, both of which I would have added to a basic doll anyway. And, lastly, the little pirate outfit was too cute to pass up! It also helped me get a jump start on her character.

As someone with both fullset and basic dolls, I would do both again.

I do consider fullsets an easier, and occasionally less expensive option. It can also make things "safer" for a new doll owner, or someone like myself who's just getting a new size. That way, even if you end up not liking the wig or outfit, you have something that you know fits, and your doll doesn't have to be bald or naked until you find the perfect piece. As for getting a fullset for a first doll, I don't have much of an opinion either way. That depends on what the owner is planning to do with their doll, the reason for the purchase, and a multitude of other factors. For some people it works, and for others it doesn't.

19. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      It's not really a preference in my case. I'll say not, because it depends on the model and the use you'll give it.

I did it in my first and only doll at the moment, because the full-set really suit him because of my original character and I really thought that I'll give it a good use. In my case, I created the character after seeing the doll, so I got "inspired" by it. Maybe it's unoriginal, but I don't think so. There're different ways of creating a character and after seeing the completed doll I created mine. So it "fit all the way". But in another character I'm going to make it's not gonna be that way, so I won't buy the full-set.

Of course I'll consider it, as I said it depends of the character you have in mind. In my case I won't probably buy it only for commodity. I'm plannig already to buy a secondhand hybrid, so I don't have any problem.

Well, I think that maybe it can seem easier and safer to get the full-set, but I don't think it's cheaper because lots of times it isn't: it's best for example, use the clothes of another dolly or just buy them in other shop. I think that if you don't have the character really in mind, it's a nice way of getting along with him until you develop him more.
      I'll advise someone depending of their circumstances, if it's because he/she likes the full-set even if he/she doesn't have in mind the character I'll tell to buy it. Against, if you really aren't going to use it a lot, because it isn't exactly as your character.

20. I don't know that there's necessarily a single "type" who buys fullsets - Maybe there's a certain style of collector who likes the all-at-once approach, but beyond that it seems to me to just be a matter of taste and opportunity. Sometimes the fullset version includes clothes that are impossible to buy otherwise (or are significantly discounted), and sometimes it's not possible to buy a specific doll without all the add-ons. None of that is necessarily more or less original, it's just a matter of availibility.

I have three dolls that were bought as fullsets - two had to be purchased that way, and one was on the MP with all his extras for less than the price of the blank doll new, so of course I couldn't pass that up! In the end, since eyes/wigs/faces are easy to change it just means that they have more clothes!