1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fullset or not?

Nov 10, 2010

1. I think it all depends on the 'goodies' the fullset is coming with, I have a mixed batch of fullsets and basic.
      In the beginning I did go mainly with fullsets and some of that stuff has never been used again, I learned my lessons well!

2. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

To be honest, I'm planning to order my first doll that has no faceup or whatsoever, mainly because I like to make clothing, but I can imagine that if I wasn't sure I could do that, that I would order a fullset.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

The main reason why I want to order my doll without anything is because I love the versatillity of dolls, the fact you can change about anything about them even if you can't sew or stuff like that. Everything is interchangable and that's the most fun thing about it. I can imagine that if you start off with a fullset, that you would have clothing that fits to begin with, so he or she wouldn't have to sit naked till you find other combinations that work for you. But personally I think it's challenging to do that.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?
      If the fullset really appeals to me, perhaps. Never say never. But my guess is that that will not happen that quickly.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

I think it depends on what the person is planning to do with his or her doll. Do you want to create clothing yourself? Buy basic or just with a faceup. Do you want to do everything yourself? Go basic.
      Do you love the fullset? Buy it. I think it's difficult to advise anyone if they are not sure about it themselves. I would not deem it unoriginal or something like that.

3. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      ~~~~~~~In general, I am not a fullset buyer. I usually buy my dolls completely blank and then face-up and costume myself. That's half the fun of this for me.
      The closest I have come to buying a full set, would be my EID Noctarcana Circus Chase as a "pick and choose" quasi full-set. I bought the human doll and the full costume (loved the Tuxedo), I didn't order faceup, eyes, wig, or chimera parts. My Soom Topaz is similar, I ordered the full doll (including fairy parts), but no eyes, wig, or costume. So I suppose I am a pick and choose person by nature.

Those two were the closest I have come to buying a fullset, everybody else was bought "bare bones."

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.
      ~~~~Cost mostly, all that extra stuff adds alot to the price tag, and I am a compulsive re-do the doll person anyway. I can't NOT change dolls, I have to tweak them.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?
      ~~~~~~~~I'd consider a full set if that was the only way to get a specific doll I felt I had to have. I'd probably sell/parts out those bits I didn't want however.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

~~~~~~~I think for most people in this hobby, the customizing aspect is important, and these dolls are plenty expensive to begin with. So, to someone just getting into this, I would suggest avoiding a fullset, for a couple reasons. (a) expense and (b) the fact that it's a fullset might actually make you less inclined to experiment with it, and explore your own creative ideas about the doll.

4. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I wasn't really aware there was a 'type' that bought fullsets or not. :? I have some fullsets. They don't make up the majority of my collection, but I have nothing against them and do have some. Some are intact, some aren't.

Well... obviously it depends on the fullset, with me. Also on my financial situation at any given time.

I don't always have something specific in mind when I buy a doll. There are a lot of beautiful fullset dolls out there that are wonderful additions to the collection that never need to be anything more than that. I don't consider it a matter of originality or the lack of it in any way to like something as it is, and appreciate a design for what it is and how it is presented. I think of some of the few fullsets I have as 'finished art' in a sense, no different from an artist vase or print that I find beautiful and want to bring into my home on account of its over all appeal. I'd no sooner feel the need to take a sharpie to one of the prints, or a paintbrush to one of the pieces of pottery in my collection, in pursuit of someone else's narrow perception of what originality is or is not. There are other dolls that I'll pick up several of the pieces of, but then farm off the special wig or eyes or clothing or even alternate body parts to other dolls in the collection. Other dolls are only available in fullset form, as a complete package, so even if only one part appeals, the whole set comes home in pursuit of the part, and the rest gets spread around.

Well, since I do both, I have no aversion to either. ;)

It depends on the person and what they want. If they want to learn customizing, spending money on sanding and blushing and faceups can be a real waste if all they are going to do is wipe it off right away to begin practicing -- and then, they may not mind that. My first three dolls were close to fullsets -- they were naked, but everything else under the sun was done on them, from sanding to blushing and so on. The next three were completely blank.

5. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Eh, I've thought about it, but only if I were to use the clothes for another doll (Unless it just snapped that thats who they were when I got the doll)

It just depends on the set...

Sure! :) I'll never erase the possibility!

Its definitely not cheaper...But my feelings are that most of us really like to customize the dolls in our own way, so that the differentiate from what the sites doll looked like. Also, most of us have a story for our dolls, and sometimes the fullset just might not fit :o And sometimes...they do. ;)

6. There are some girls I would buy fullset, but sometimes they are sold before I can get them! I don't mind not getting them that way though. :)

7. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I could have gotten a full set doll but I decided against it. Not that I would never buy a full set or anything.. so it really just depends on the doll or set.

I decided not to because I wanted to customize my doll. I wanted to custom the face up and stuff like that.

I would consider a full set if I liked the doll enough.

Well it depends on the person I think. Like if it were for my friend Heather I would probably suggest a full set and probably because it is easier to just buy a full set and have everything already with the doll than it would be to buy a basic doll and have to buy cloths for them and such and also since she doesn't really write and have characters to build on the dolls. If it were my friend Anaya on the other hand.. I would suggest a basic doll because I know she likes things her own little way. She is a story maker and has characters that would require some customizing.

8. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      For the most part, no. However, there are a couple of dolls that really caught my eye. For example, the Soom Glati. I love how he looks in his fullset especially with the feathered wings. Would like to have dolls like that as a fullset, but at the same time, I like the doll itself and having a chance to make it my own, in a way.

Not really going to get fullsets because I think I'll have more fun with customizing it in my own way.

Yes. Fullsets have their own appeal and so do basics. It's really what calls out to you, I think.

This would definitely depend on the person. Some people like to have a complete doll without worrying over what specifics to get. However, there are others who love the whole process of making it from the down up. Most people already have an idea which they prefer because it's just part of the person's preference with other things. Either way, if it works for the person it works.

9. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      My first doll and three more that I plan to get are all basics. I just see them and had an idea of "this doll is that character." However, I will say without a doubt that I am getting the Haidi full set. Instead of her fitting an already established character in my head, she is instead expanding into a new character with the full set as the beginning spring board.

I get what I like. If I like the basic I get the basic, if I like the full set I get the full set. It is that simple.

Yes anyway you want to ask it. If I want a fullset I'll get one, if I want something that can only be gotten by hybrid then I will get that.

I think it depends on their budget and their sewing/knitting/etc ability. If someone is just starting out but can already sew, there is no real reason to get the full set unless the love/want it. If someone can't sew then the full set is a great way to start off. If they can't sew and don't have money, well then it is time to either learn or to save and buy another, more affordable outfit.

10. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Not

I am not a lover of full sets, I often don't like the face up, or the body blushing on a full set. I often would rather it have some originality, and will buy dolsl almost full just to get started but never with face up, I have two tallented face up artists in the city, and I too do face ups.

All the time, if the company brought out a full set where it was PERFECT for what I wanted or what I see in my head then yeah I would buy it. But often I would still change it some way, adding different highlights to wigs, or to the face up, changeing the outfit. I don't think I could ever be 100% happy with a full set.

I agree with what a few people say, this is not my choice, and often it is best to get a full set if it is your first doll, or even just newer to the hobby, more so if you don't know how to do face ups or don't know someone who can. It is amazing what you learn with a blank doll but at the same time it takes less time to just have them come compleat. Often you save money too, inless you know how to do the pieces your missing. I like working with fabrics, and face ups so to me I save money by making myself.

It really boils down to it being just what is best for the person. My gfs first doll was a full set, my first doll I ended up wipeing the face up and haveing someone else paint him. So it really shows you difference. I didnt like it when he got to me, she loved hers. So it all depends.

11. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I don't know that I have a preference. Lately I've been going for fullsets, although I rarely leave the fullset intact once it arrives. I buy a lot from Volks, which as LEs that come as fullsets, and so I have ended up with fullsets with no intention to keep them as they were sold.

Usually it's because that's the only way to get them. Regardless of whether the doll is fullset or basic, I don't think it's a matter of originality. I do prefer to personalize each doll to my specific tastes and to fit the character they're meant to shell, but in some cases the wig or faceup fits anyways.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?I have no problem with getting them either way. It's all down to the sculpt in the end.

That really does depend. A lot of fantasy fullsets have clothing or parts that aren't all that easy to put on. Buying a basic and a set of clothes/shoes/wig/eyes from the same company in that first order could end up easier to deal with. A fullset does mean that the doll can be dressed up and played with out of the box, so for some people it'll make it more fun. For others, the whole process of putting the doll together, doing faceups, etc., means a better bonding experience.

Lately it's easier for me to have dolls with a faceup because it's harder to do faceups living where I do. In the past I've preferred them to come blank because I was going to wipe them anyways. Even with the same person, circumstances can change how they order.

12. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Honestly, I think it would depend on the doll. If the fullset is something that stays true to the character I might want to create (for instance I really wanted to get the LE Tokyo Story Asa fullset), then yes I might get it. If it's something I could do without, then I don't see a reason to buy it unless I might find use for it.

Whoops, answered that in the above question, haha. It's hard to be completely original, though, unless you can make your own doll's clothing, no?

Absolutely to both. I haven't bought one, but if it fit and I could see my characters wearing it, I'd go for it. Just the same, my first doll is probably going to be a basic edition sans any clothing.

Well, in simpler terms it's certainly a bitcheaper to get a basic. Fullset clothing is often very expensive tacked onto an already expensive doll. If you're looking to save money and be able to dress a character the way you want, it would probably do well to save that money and look for something you deem properly suiting. However, I wouldn't advise anyone either way, it's really up to personal preference. Who knows, they might still find use for the fullset clothing on another doll.

13. Not neccesarily prefer. I love dolls with an enormous wardrobe. When I get a new doll of a specific size that I don't yet own, and the doll comes as a fullset that I absolutely like, I would consider getting the fullset just because I'm a sucker for lots of pretty clothes. But I wouldn't just use it "as is". I'd use bits and pieces and combine them with other wardrobe pieces so the doll becomes an entirely new persona. I don't just buy fullsets or basic sets. I kind of get irritated when I see a billion of the same identical looking dolls - same face-up, wig, outfit, shoes... but then again they're great at the same time.

About recommending fullsets: they're a great way to help your creative juices flow. They can really help with envisioning your character. Even only looking at pictures of fullsets can do that trick to you even if you're not intending to get the entire set. It's a nice way to start up a wardrobe too. They might also distract you from the image you have in mind for your doll. So it's quite personal and people should decide for themselves if a fullset is the thing for them or not.

14. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Yes, I considered buying severall different fullsets, and I definitely still would.
      I would buy fullsets because I'm a newbie, and a fullset comes with a face-up, a first outfit, and a wig to begin with. I am terrified to do my own face-up, and I like a lot of the face-ups full sets come with. Plus, having an outfit right off the bat without buying another is nice. Really, it's just because I'm a newbie. If I were more seasoned, I don't think I'd buy a fullset.
      I really liked fullsets when I started researching dolls, because I'm a newbie and it seemed easiest to start out, but I think now for my order in January, I've decided on buying a basic doll, because even though the fullset is easy to begin with, the doll I liked didn't seem to have many outfits to fit it other than the one it came with. I'm not sure how to sew yet, so I decided to go with a doll that would fit more styles.

Yeah it's definitely easier, cheaper, and probably safer (it would be awful to buy a basic and an outfit, just to find the outfit wouldn't fit :( ). But it also depends on the person's taste. If they're a good seamstress, face-up artist, etc.

15. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      No, not my thing, I like blank canvases.

I couldn't buy a full set, it would be like buying someone else's doll, it's not what I thought up, it's someone else's vision. I'm into dolls to make the character myself, so it kinda defeats the purpose for me. Why paint over someone else's picture?
      But, I do sew my dolls clothing and paint their faces myself, that works for me, but not for everyone else, not everyone can sew or paint, and that's understandable.

Well, I haven't seen a fullset that's really grabbed me. In the case of something like soom, I might buy the extra resin pieces, but I'd likely not buy the makeup, outfit or wig. I like my dolls in a bit more 'street-ish' fashion, not fantasy or lady Gaga-esque. Most fullsets are very fantasy based, where my characters are modern more or less, even if the doll/mold is very fantasy based. Depending on the company I'd probably buy sanding services though, regardless.

It may be easier to start out with a full set doll, just as a starting point, or at least a doll with a faceup. To be honest I would tell a person to get a faceuped doll actually, those are really hard to do, but it does depend on the person. If they're getting it as a hobby or to skin a character, get a basic doll. If the person is getting it as a collectible thing, really just to look pretty and take pictures, get a full set.

16. I bought my two fullsets because I thought they were perfect the way they came :)
      However, the price included faceups and outfits, so there was little I could change when I first opened the box ;) They were also tinies, and so cute and adorable and yeah.

I would recommend a basic doll when it comes to 'starters', just so they could experience the customising aspect of the hobby :)

17. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Nope. I wouldn't buy a full set. Mostly because, they have never really appealed to my tastes in clothing. Nor, would I want her to be "just another full set".

Well, I would rather fork out the money to a good commissioner that I would have spent on a full set and just buy clothing that would better suit the doll I'm buying.

Nope. Again, I stand my ground on this one. Too much wasted things to really consider it "worth it". So, I'll stick with basic and basic face up as well.

If they are JUST starting out and would like to be able to have the doll come "complete" then yes, full set is a time and money saver. If they are the kind of individual that would prefer to be more "creative" with the whole process. Then, the full set is not really necessary. Really, depends more on the person and their tastes.

18. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I've bought several fullsets, but usually do not.

I've bought fullsets because it was the only way of getting a limited doll and I've bought them because I liked the outfit the doll came with. I usually prefer to buy basic dolls because lots of limited dolls come with fantasy outfits which don't generally appeal to me, and also they are less expensive.

This question doesn't actually apply to me because I have fullsets, basic and hybrid dolls.

I think people should just buy the dolls they love.

19. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Not really. Most of my dolls thus far have just been basic. I like the creativity of doing everything myself. But I did purchase my Mad Hatter (DIM MNM MSD-sized Johnny Depp) in the marketplace after he'd already been completed by the very talented Luckyl. She'd done a wonderful job pulling all his elements together and had given him the perfect faceup. In a case like that, especially considering only 10 or 11 of these heads were ever made, you gotta figure there's nothing to be gained by "re-inventing the wheel" yourself. In this case, it was the best creative decision to jump on the opportunity to buy him fullset, and then build upon his character from there (with clothing, display spaces and accessories into the future.)

Frankly, I just don't see getting a fullset as being creatively limiting. Okay, so you've got a nice limited doll with a faceup (that can easily be enhanced or redone if you ever choose to do so down the road.) He has a wonderful outfit (which can be changed with other additions to his wardrobe to develop his character further.) He has a lovely wig (also easily changed or modified or just left as is if it suits the original character you've created for him.) A fullset just makes it easier to get him started, that's all. If he's a good fit for you as a fullset, it certainly makes perfect sense to purchase him.

While I usually go for basics and do them myself, I have gotten a fullset once because it was a unique opportunity to get something extremely limited that just happened to be exactly what I wanted. But there is another instance that would persuade me to go fullset...and that is in the case of a teeny-tiny. I'm currently considering adding a puki-puki to my crew...and if I were to do that, I'd frankly have no interest in doing a faceup that small. I don't see the point to it considering the fairyland faceup specialists do such a fantastic and painstakingly refined job of it! They have some real cute fullsets up right now in their winter event, so what I'm currently doing is looking at each one carefully and deciding how I would utilize each part. If I can justify the use of everything, then I'll go for it.

Creativity is a very personal thing. I think there are many ways to approach the look you want. If you see the perfect fullset that you feel can embody what you want in your character, then it's obviously an excellent choice. If it's the only way to get a limited sculpt...then certainly, you gotta do what you gotta do. If it's a look that can be pulled off well with just a basic, then save yourself some money and do that. It's all dependant upon your own creative needs at the time...just be honest with yourself about what those needs are.

20. My first BJD was a fullset and I bought her that way because I liked everything that came with it. For me, it was a good way to start. She came with a wig, eyes, clothes and shoes and it was all in one convenient package.

I suppose someone could consider a fullset to be unorignal, but that's their opinion. If I like what is offered as part of a fullset, I'm going to buy it (if I can afford it) and not worry about anyone else's opinion.

I've gotten two other fullsets since that first one and all of the others have been basics. I just buy what I like, whether it happens to come all in one set or not.

Whether or not I'd ever advise anyone else to get a fullset or not would depend entirely on what the person is going to do with the doll. For someone who already has a specific character in mind, and the fullset doesn't fit with that idea, then it wouldn't make sense to get the fullset.