1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fullset or not?

Nov 10, 2010

1. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I haven't ever bought a full-set the only thing that was closest to "full-set" was when my doll came with default undergarments.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

Never got one because they all seemed too expensive or the clothes were tacky...

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?

I still would like to buy a full-set doll because it doesn't come nude and also you get to see the type of doll that the creator intended for it to have which is quite interesting. The clothes also appeal to me.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

I find it cheaper since the doll comes with clothing which allows you to consider what clothes suit the doll more.

2. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I often gravitate towards fullsets, but I don't know whether I'd buy one.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.
      Part of it is just the price. I feel better about buying the parts separately, rather than all at once. I don't have a problem with originality, though I can see it bothering some people.[/B]

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?
      A few fullsets have really called to me in the past, so it's definitely possible. Sometimes I have a character in mind, and I go looking for the doll; other times a character is instantly inspired by a company's fullset. I haven't yet succumbed, but we'll see.

4. Another question. No matter what your personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?
      Since I have no experience here, I can't say. A fullset does seem safer, in the sense that you know exactly what you're getting. If you put together your own doll, you may find that you don't care for the assembled product as much as you expected to. And some items, especially wigs and clothes from different companies, might not fit as desired.

3. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy full sets or not?
      At first, I couldn’t see myself buying a full set, till it actually happened. So likewise, it’s more of a ‘it depends’ type of situation.

Well, coincidentally, it happened to fit all the way so, it kind of save time and effort looking for a particular dress and such.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a full set even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the full set enthusiast?
      Yes and no, I suppose. The only time I would get a full set is if it happens to fit the character or I love the sculpt or the clothes fit my other dolls or there isn’t any basic ones available.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safe or ect for someone to get their doll right starting with a full set or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?
      Well, yes I would consider that in general if we were to calculate on shipping costs for the doll and clothes if it were to be purchased separately (If you were to consider a 1st doll). However, it really depends on the own personal perspective like as to say, ‘yes, I can afford a fullest’ or ‘no, I couldn’t and rather sew their clothes on my own’ or it doesn’t fit the character or tastes.

4. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I dont like fullsets most of the time.

it feels unoriginal to me so I feel like i dont have much to do with my dolls persanality or any thing. But it very rear for me to fiend a doll with full set that it looks like it has the persanality i want it to have with the full set.

I would get a fullset if it had thing in it that I would like for the doll or for a nother bjd that i may get.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

I realy dont know I dont have my doll yet and im a newbe to this this so just ask others on here and have fun and good luck with getting your doll.

5. Let me preface my answers with the notion that I am coming from the world of Blythe and have faced these questions in that world and in this new BJD craze I'm undertaking......

1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      When I originally started collecting, all I could afford or think I could afford were nude dolls. They seemed more readily available, quicker to send out, and cheaper. I say "think I can afford" because after calculating all I spent on a nude dolls in one week I could have bought several full sets (NRFB blythes).

I think people are giving fullest buyers A really hard time. I don't see a herd of people making there own wigs via wefts or lock loop (I'm not talking about just sewing two pieces of faux fur together)... dying their own fabrics, sewing their own clothes, creating their own resin parts, making their own eyes. Haven't even seen a thread on color changing Saran. Let alone Saran. Sooooooo.....
      .........I would definitely do it if the right girl came along.
      The only one was my Yurie Chenko (Blythe Miss Sally Rice. She is full in stock removed from box. However, I would never think of rerooting her, giving her scalp a lock loop reroot of freshly dyed angora mohair. Nor would I think of sanding, face upping and sealing. Let alone would I boggle and superior gaze correct, nor replace her eye chips with custom painted ones by me)

So in hind sight I don't think it's about lack of creativity it's more so not wanting to mess with perfection. Nor do I think it's about less or more personality. They are just dolls. As people We tend to project personality. Regardless of default or non default, personality comes from the eye of that camera lens and the person taking that photo.

I think I just did a Hybrid fullset purchase?????? :0 :l :) ;)
      I ordered I basic pukifee Zoe with face up no sleep face but also bought a fairyland wig and dress set. (ugggg I hate waiting)

Again I think it's easier either way. If you go basic, hybrid, or full set. It's all about going online, selecting add to cart and inputting your credit info. I have yet to find a thread were someone is totally doing there own manufacturing from resin casting the body, to making fake glass eyes, to making wigs etc. Not placing judgment but what I've noticed.......
      there is a huge market for wigs and clothings in the BJD world. And these items aren't cheap. So it leads me to just assume that "creative basic/hybrid customers" are buying these items as much as "non creative fullset customers". With the same idea....to add depth to their. Basic/hybrid/and or fullset doll.

So it leads me to assume shopping for that perfect outfit and wig is such a creative process ;)

(Still trying to learn how to raise my own sheep, shear them, spin my own wool, and then I can start talking about how my creative sewing is free from the personality less mass marketing of a basic/hybrid/fullest doll. Until then the real creativity shout outs go to my asiAn brothers and sisters hand making these dolls at the plant......aaaahhhhh that's a socio-economic topic I'll save for another day).

6. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Eh, I think I'd buy a fullset if I can afford it, if it's available and if I like what goes into it.

I've just recently bought my first doll and to be quite honest it was the easiest way for me to do it because it was a lot cheaper than having to buy clothes, wig and everything separately the first time when you don't have anything for the doll at home. I happened to think it fit her as well. Sure, I could sit down and make my own clothes for her, but then I'd have to forgo sleep and I don't think that's the best course of action when you're in collage :sweat

I have my eye on a basic right now, but I'm not going to be buying it for a while. I don't really have a preference either way. It all depends on what is included in the fullset if I'd buy it or just the basic.

It's easier and cheaper for sure, at least if you're new in buying dolls and don't have anything for them at home already.
      I'd advise it to someone who's new in buying dolls if they like the fullset and can afford it.

...I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot XD

7. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Depends on the fullset. Rosette's steampunk set won me over, but generally I think I'd like to customize my own doll. Even with the Rosette I'm planning to wipe that faceup. Then there's the money. That Soom Shoshon was amazing but right now I can't pay what it would cost to get his fullset. It's 50/50 I guess.

The Rosette fullset's clothes were wonderful for what I have in mind for her character, and those wings are perfect both for her and other dolls. I ordered another set of them too! Sometimes though it doesn't fit--I ditched Byuri's fullset for the blank doll--I want to customize her more to what I have in mind for her character. I wouldn't say it's unoriginal if the doll fits what you want, and anyway you can still customize a fullset and use the clothes/accessories for other dolls.

I got a basic Katie A. so that doesn't worry me. Hybrids I'm a little iffy about because I'm new to the hobby and I don't want to mismatch my resins or anything. It just seems like a lot of trouble right now. But I may do it someday.

I don't know about cheaper, depending on the doll. Again, take Soom Shoshon. If you just got him basic you could get another outfit or what have you for cheaper than their price. But it is certainly easier. I think it depends on the person too. I got my Katie A. blank because I wanted to try a faceup, but that was only after a couple months of research. And even then it was a little daunting. I'd definitely understand if someone wanted to order a fullset and just take it easy with their first doll.

8. I bought a fullset for my fisrt doll, but now I have a little experience on the doll front I'm not planning to buy another. I want to have a more customisable doll this time round :)

9. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not? When they're available, I prefer a full-set.

For me, the appeal of a doll is the full package that I see in the promo pics. Also, I think it's fun opening the doll with the clothes, wig and accessories included. I'm sure there are many that think fullsets are unimaginative and uncreative, but they're great for people like me.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?I have had to purchase a basic when the fullset isn't available, but I prefer buying with fullset.

I think it just depends. Since I don't sew and wouldn't want to attempt faceups, fullsets are the way to go. For an artistis/seamstresses, I can see them preferring the other.

10. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

Personally, I have found that I prefer to look at the fullsets on my computer monitor over actually owning them myself. My dolls (a collection of two) are half-n-half. One�s a fullset and the other�s a blank.

I bought my first doll (DZ Hong) as a fullset after several months of debate and drool. He, as I said, was my first and, as I was new to the hobby, I thought it best for me to buy a �complete� doll and then work my way out to learning how to sew or paint or what have you to customize him. Unfortunately, as soon as he came home and I dressed him, I found that I absolutely hated the Hong outfit in person. Hated it. So, my dearly beloved Cal has spent the last two years sitting around my room in naught but a bath-robe.

It took me two years to finally settle on the mold I wanted for my second doll (DZ Luke) and, having learned from my previous experience, I decided to have him be a nude when I ordered him. A lot more time and thought went into his selection than Cal�s as I have been careful to select not just his eye and hair color but his skin color as well. I figure that I�ll have to make him his clothes and stuff myself anyway, so why spend the extra cash for extraneous items I don�t need?

Ironicly enough, my Mor (the Luke) just came in and I haven�t even opened him yet. And yet, even so, I still think I did the right thing in choosing to have him basic. Luke�s are mini�s and, as far as I have been able to find, most mini cloths are not even remotely to my liking. I just hope the second bath-robe I tossed together will fit him when I go to my Aunt�s to pick him up.

11. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I probably wouldn't buy a fullset to represent one of my characters, but I've certainly bought a fullset (minus the faceup, albeit) one the basis of 'wow, that's a pretty doll musthaveit'. I don't generally buy them, though.

For my specific character dolls fullsets simply don't fit. I don't care whether it's original or not, although I probably wouldn't take a fullset doll in all their original gear to a meet or something, if only to avoid any mix-ups with other owners. Obviously there's a degree of originality in putting together the doll's image yourself that cannot be replicated with a fullset as it is, but I don't think a doll is 'lesser' for lacking that originality.

Since I have both kinds, I can't really say either way. I just buy what I want providing I can afford it.

I think fullsets are great for a person's first doll. My first doll had faceup, and did have an outfit but not one that fitted his character and it took me a while before I found something suitable. I didn't love him any less in that in-between period, but it was a big relief to have him in the 'right' clothes and if I could have got the doll and the clothes at the same time it would have been even better.

For a first doll, an important factor is realising whether or not such a financially demanding hobby is for you. Personally I would have been very disheartened to have to try and do a faceup on my first doll, or even to have to find someone to commission. Having the faceup and at least one outfit right out of the box makes it a lot easier to love the doll, in my opinion. So it doesn't have to be a fullset (although fullset would probably be cheaper) but I'd be wary of getting a blank, nude doll with no extras as a first purchase unless you have some solid plans on what to do with it.

12. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I'm the type of person who likes to have complete dolls right out of the box. In that way, where the doll doesn't have to sit around naked for months, I do like fullsets better than buying the basic doll only. And if I don't do that I want to have the money to buy clothes, wigs and eyes at the same time as the incoming doll so it's like a custom fullset lol

Mostly it's so I can just have something nice to dress them in until I can get them more clothes, but there is one exception. Pukipuki Ante's fullset is just PERFECT for what I want in the little girl doll from her big blond curls to her cute little frilly dress. Too bad it's sold out ><

Yes, I would get a basic if there was no other way to get them. But I would buy the clothes/wigs/eyes first before getting the doll himself ^_^

Hm, I think it depends on the kind of person you are. If your like me and are impatient and want a bunch of extra doll clothes and stuff to play with anyways, I'd say the fullset would be easier. If your the type who only want one outfit for each doll's character then I'd say the basic would be best.

13. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I've only ever purchased one fullset doll as I particularly liked certtain parts of the fullset outfit that I thought I could use. However, I was so disapointed by the fullset outfit overall and that much of it was nothing like the company promotional pictures (and was made of very cheap & nasty fabric) that I've since vowed Never Again! If there are individual parts of a fullset that I really like I'd rather go hunting for those individual pieces such as jewellery items, eyes & wigs (not clothing) in the Marketplace.

2. Why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

For one thing like many others I find that the overall outfit, accesories and personal customisation that you as the owner give your doll are what instill it with it's character. I only tend to find I really form any sort of attachment to my dolls once I finish personalising their looks.
      For another thing, I don't want to go spending my money on someone elses work only to find I'd be far less disapointed if I'd bothered to do the job myself. After all, this is a hobby that is more about self-indulgent personal happiness and stress relief for me...I'd rather that it be free from disappointment as much as possible.

N/a

I think it's up to the individual as to their choice - fullset or not. After all, there are people here who are merely collectors rather than customisers and wouldn't buy a doll any other way.
      As this is a hobby and hence about the pleasure of the individual I would never advise someone against buying a fullset - its their choice.

14. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Generally I'm not the type to buy full sets, although I have been seriously tempted by many fullsets. I actually have bought a fully and complete fullset before - I bought the Primrose LittleFee Dark Elf Soo, and even got the faceup on the sleeping face: a full and complete set (although I did change the eyes, but only to a pair of glass eyes of the same color).

Normally I don't do it for multiple reasons. One of the biggest is the money issue. It's just cheaper to buy a basic doll as it's often possible to buy eyes, wig, outfit, and even faceup cheaper than the prices the company puts on their fullset items. This isn't to say that the items aren't appealing. Often it's the outfit that draws me. Usually I just have a different idea of what to what to do with a doll than in the complete fullset. A different idea of faceup, of hair style and color, eye color. And if a fullset doesn't fulfill what I'm looking for in the character concept the doll inspired, it makes no sense to get one (even if I love what they've done to the fullset). However, with the fullset dolls I bought (all of which were LittleFees) I did for various reasons. My Ante fullset was bought because a friend was to buy the outfit and I wanted to spend enough to get the even head. My elf Ante fullset was bought because I liked the outfit. My Dark Elf Soo was the only fullset I bought because I saw it as is and knew she was perfect as is for a character I had in mind.

I think it's safe to say that I would consider a fullset as long as the fullset had everything I wanted for the character that would inhabit the doll. It's tough, though - you have to like everything. Hair, eyes, faceup, outfit, along with the actual doll itself. It's not often - at least not for me - that all those things come together in one full set. Besides, I do prefer to have original dolls, so fullsets often preclude from that. My LTF DES is the exception to this rule.

I think it depends on the person. It depends on how much a person has to spend on a doll. Most people starting out don't have a whole lot of money to buy their first doll (as many are pretty young). Certainly it's easier in as much as once you have the doll in, it's done. You don't have to go scavenging around to extra parts or having to wait a second time for a faceup with an artist that you send your new baby out to. Personally, I feel that a person has to be happy with the doll they choose - whether they fell in love with a fullset and a doll has to be that way, or they just fell in love with a mold, but have their own ideas on how that mold should look for them. Personally, like in the instance of my younger cousin who is interested in the dolls and would like one of her own, I would suggest finding a doll she likes mold and body-wise that's within her price range and then find nice, but economical eyes, wig, and faceup artist, not only to keep the cost down for her, but also to spread out the spending so it's not all at once. I'm a big one for layaway as well.

15. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Not really. If I'm buying a doll, I have a character laid out for it, so a costume doesn't suit my interests. Most fullsets have no appealed to my interests at all. Also, I love doing my own faceups. I'm new, but I'm growing and I love the practice. I can't have one doll with a professional faceup while the rest of my dolls have learner faceups! It helps me bond with the doll, too. (:

I don't think it's unoriginal, but I'm a character doll person. The owner might not use the outfit to base the doll on. A colonial outfit doesn't necessarily breed a colonial doll. Even if it does, the owner still has so much freedom with the doll's personality and history.

I've been considering the fullset for Souldoll Agnetha, mostly because it's an adorable outfit. I wouldn't feel forced to use it for that doll only and I would be happy to mix and match the pieces. What I like about the outfit is not only is it my kind of style, but it's modern. That's the kind of outfit I would buy for my dolls anyway. I would opt out of the faceup, though. Just the outfit would be nice.

I definitely think there is an appeal for the first time owner. They get a doll and a full outfit, I think that's exciting for a new owner. If they also make a few clothing purchases in that order, their doll comes home with a good amount of stuff to start them off with. I started out with a hybrid and a basic doll, and they were pretty naked for a while. I wouldn't recommend that to a new owner! Besides, there is definitely some prestige for a fullset and most new owners would probably love to start out with something kind of special!

16. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      My first doll was a fullset as i was new to it BJD and felt 'safer' getting a fullset.

Having a fullset makes it much more likely that someone has a doll with the same clothes and wig as yours, but BJD are custom things and even fullsets get changed after awhile (I have a full set DZ Moe but have changed his clothes... and is doesn't like wearing shoes XD) and we are forever redoing face ups and doings things.

I would get a fullset if it was an outfit or face up I liked, but i like getting a blank doll as I can put my own stamp on them.

See question one :'D
      as well as if someone wasn't that confodent with picking clothes or face ups a fullset would be idea for them.
      Full sets are (in my exprence) more expensive (when you add everything up)

17. A friend of mine bought a fullset a while back, and wasn't very happy with it. The factory paint job was rushed, and shoddy, like there wasn't much care in it. Even I noticed some obvious flaws, and it was a Soom, none the less. I wondered what they were thinking putting work out there like that. The doll's face up made his head look all pale compared to his body. Lol geisha! And the paws were mismatched, one being shiny, and the other really dull looking. She's decently good at face-ups and customization, but not a pro by any means, and we both agreed she could have done better if she had painted it herself. I'd say, go with the blank, and customize it to make it your doll, but if your not really big into having one that looks EXACTLY how you want it, sure go for a full set. The only thing that would make a fullset worth it to me is the rare clothing. So if anything skimp out on the faceup, have someone do it, or do it yourself, and get everything else.

18. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I am the type that can go either way. Out of my six, two are fullsets, and the rest are not!

The first fullset I bought was Volks' MDD Maria Ushiromiya. I bought her because I love Umineko, and I find her adorable. However, I can still customize her if I would like. My second fullset (who is on layaway currently) is a LTF Luna. I bought her fullset because I like the face-up, and frankly...you save a LOT of money buying LTFs fullset (I was shocked!).

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?I buy dolls both ways, so I am not a great correspondent. I do like to give fullset dolls new wigs, eyes and clothes though. That way they can either be their original character, or something a little more unique!

I don't really think it matters. Some fullsets are pretty exorbitantly priced. If you really want a certain mold, but can't afford the fullset, just buying the mold is absolutely fine. If you can afford it, but don't give a rat's behind about fullset goodies, I have no problem with people selling them. I really just enjoy the ease of a fullset in that it allows me to have a "completed" doll more easily. However, that doesn't mean I don't go to the trouble to later customize them more to my liking ^^;

19. I've never bought a full-set, mostly because I haven't really seen one that really spoke to me. But I recently came across one that I would really love to have, and the price is within my means. It's not top priority, but the idea of being able to simply dress a doll and play with it and display it is SO dreamy! It's hard for me to make everything for my dolls. I enjoy it when I have the time, but it irritates me to have a bunch of half-dressed dolls in my doll cabinet.

20. 1+2. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not? Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

I have yet to buy a fullset doll, but I do not have an active dislike for fullset dolls. When I look at a doll, it's mainly the sculpt that I pay attention to. The clothing, accessories, and even the face-up are different elements that I piece together afterwards. Sometimes the doll company also offers clothing that I like, and I may buy from them, but I don't necessarily think of doll and clothing as merged.

A fullset for me is almost like a finished piece of art; if I buy one, I would be tempted to keep it as is and wouldn't want to change their clothing, wig, face-up, etc, since it seems counterintuitive to redo a doll that someone has already put the effort into piecing together.

So far, I have found 2 fullsets that I have considered buying, but in the end decided I didn't want them that much for what they cost. One was the Fairyland Pukifee PongPong Gentle Rabbit and the second is the Zaoll Pharaoh Luv. Those just struck me as adorable, and I wouldn't mind keeping them in their fullsets most of the time. Besides, I don't think Dollmore has ever offered a tanned Zaoll before.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]

Even though I prefer buying the elements in pieces over time, I know people who like to collect fullsets. This carries over to other things in life, too, non-bjd dolls, furniture, make-up, etc. Personally I love looking at fullsets, so I like meeting people who have them; I just don't want to own them myself. ;)

Someone who likes to buy dolls as fullsets told me if she sees a doll that's perfectly made up, there's no point in changing it. I understand it, but I have a short attention span, and I like to experiment, so I can't ever keep a doll as is without doing anything to it.

Most of the time fullset clothing are limited, so it's unlikely that you'd save money if you attempt to buy the doll and clothing separately. On the other hand, I don't see buying a doll basic as saving money, because you'd have to buy the clothing, wig, accessories, from elsewhere (plus shipping), and I'm pretty sure most of the time it'll cost as much if not more than a fullset. Especially if an outfit or wig you buy isn't what you had in mind, but you couldn't see it on your doll until you've bought it and received it.