1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Funeral for a Doll

Oct 2, 2009

1. What happened to the head? Perhaps there are modders on DoA who could take a look and see if there's any chance of repair. I'm sure someone would be happy to restore it for you if possible. I know I would, if I had any experience whatsoever...
      And I agree that you should go to their parents about the whole ordeal. That is just...horrible.

2. my first ever doll (i got him when i was 16, four years ago now...) had become yellow, damaged from countless face-ups, dents and didn't project himself anymore as the doll i first saw and knew i needed.
      I have now replaced him with an older "character" (i like to think he just grew up, not replaced).
      And i have kept his head which i have put safe in a box.
      I miss him all the time and sometimes think of buying the same model, but i know it won't be the same.

3. A funeral for a doll? Why would you do that?

As for dolls being beyond repair, unless that doll is a pile of dust or a melted puddle I pretty much believe they can be repaired. I've never damaged my dolls at all, but I would buy a super damaged doll and repair it.

4. If one of my dolls became damaged beyond what I could repair, I'd probably try to hock the pieces to someone looking for severely damaged dolls on the MP :lol: Like Nefla said, I don't think a doll is beyond all hope until it's a pile of dust.

5. if I broke a doll beyond repair I'd just sell it on DoA for someone who wanted to use it for whatever, and then use that money plus a credit card to replace the doll :B

It'd suck, and I'd cry a lot, but that's all you can do.

Funeral?, probably jokingly with my friends because everyone treats my dolls like people, always asking how their doing, asking if they want to go out to eat with us or whatever.
      Something similar to flushing a fish down a toilet I imagine.

6. You should demand monetary compensation or press charges! Other people are not allowed to destroy your expensive property!

7. I really like my dolls- but they are only empty vessels for my characters.
      I think, I will try to get the same or a better fitting mold, if they are heavy damaged.

And if someone would destroy my Dolls: I would sue them to death

8. I would probably do some kind of shinto-esque ritual if I was to get rid of my doll, even if I was selling it to someone (although I never have sold one and don't ever plan to). I treat my dolls almost like a tulpa of sorts. It would bother me if I didn't do something to kind of "set free" the friendly little bits of my mind that have projected into their form for so long. Rituals of any religion or belief help you to control your thoughts, worries and positive thinking.

9. If any of my dolls were "permanently" damaged, I think I would repair it as best as I could and make a new character to fit with the "scars".Besides dolls being damaged in a housefire or being thrown away (foxxian that is so terrible. I think I might have thrown something heavy at someone) Most damage is repareable. Even if my shiwoo fell from the roof during a photoshoot and the head and body were heavily damaged, the pieces could be put back together, and any missing pieces could be covered/replaced with epoxie and called scars.
      If my house caught on fire and I lost the dolls in it, or if they were stolen, I would be very upset, and probably be very depressed for a long time. I don't know if I would try to replace them or not. I doubt I would leave the hobby tho.

10. Some of these stories are horrible. :(
      As for the topic, it's definitely something I would do. Granted, I hope it never happens to me, but if it did, I would have a funeral. If it happened because someone did it, then I would probably be in jail.

11. I agree on pressing charges against the kids, nothing says "you screwed up" like the police knocking on your door. Parental lectures don't even come close. Odds are the kids have done worse, or are headed for it if this is let go. Also, in the US it is a federal offense to open someone else's mail.

Doll funeral... hmm. Maybe a symbolic one, but then I'd give (not sell) the pieces to someone looking for damaged dolls. It'd be a fitting way to know it's going to a better place.

12. Foxxian - That is horrible! I would have had to do something a little stronger than just be reimbursed for it. That woman would have had to face some sort of legal recourse or at least have the lease on her apartment terminated and be told to move. I couldn't keep living near someone who did something that awful too me. I'm sorry you never got to see or play with your guy, but at least you bought another doll that you liked instead! *pat*

IcePuppet - Also feel bad for you. I would have instantly gone to the kid's parents and if they didn't willingly do something about replacing or fixing the doll's head, I'd call the police, because that's destruction of personal property, I'm sure there's something that could be done. Especially when these are so very expensive in the first place!

In general nothing has happened to my guys yet *hopes really hard* but if they were damaged, unless it were in so many tiny pieces that I couldn't recognise it any more, I would give it a go at repairing it. At least it could be used for mod experimentation. XD I do remember last year a user here on DOA had an unexpected house fire and some of her dolls were BADLY damaged, there was a thread in the Painting and Customising forum about it when she restored one of them from looking charred beyond repair to almost as if he were new. I believe she took a loss on a few of the others, but I was pleased to see her do so much good with the one she was able to ressurect.

13. I guess I'm weird, but if any of my dolls were completely irreparably damaged... depending on which one it is, I would definitely have a funeral. I have funerals for just about anything I'm strongly attached to, and I'm a packrat so there are things in my house (and... my parents house >.>) that I haven't used in years but which I simply can't bring myself to throw away.

I don't know if I would physically bury the doll though... I would probably hold a funeral for the character and work it somehow into their story if it was one of my irreplaceable dolls (like my AS Vera who I've had for the longest time and couldn't bear to replace) but I don't know if I would sell the doll or not. On the one hand I don't know if I could see her in the hands of someone else, even knowing she wouldn't be my Paige any more.... but on the other hand I think it would not only be a total waste to just bury or cremate her but also it would be lovely to see her loved and repaired by someone else. I think I'd have to stipulate that whoever bought her did so with the intention of fixing her (or whichever one, just she's a good example) up and keeping her rather than just for a tinkering project and then selling on.

So... funeral yes, burial........ maybe not? I'd have to see how I felt.

If anyone damaged my doll I would sue them to hell and back again. Sorry, but you just don't do that, especially with something that is usually marked at a fairly high price.

I had a nerve-wracking moment when my AH Kozy was 'lost' in the postal system for a couple of days. I had been tracking him almost obsessively (well, ok, totally obsessively :XD:) and saw that he had been delivered so I figured our next door neighbour had caught the postie and taken him in as she sometimes does with smaller packages. When I got home I checked with her - no dice. Same with our landlords on the other side - nothing. Naturally I panicked. This was a Sunday, I'd been out since the Friday and since there was no card through our door I had literally no clue what had happened to him. My postman has a tendency to sign for things himself and leave them lying around - i.e. on the kitchen windowsill in full view of the street. So I called Parcelforce and asked and after a little digging she turned up that it had been a "tracking error" and that he was waiting for me at the depot - I collected him the next day (Monday) around 4:30pm. At 6pm some random lady who lives streets away rang our doorbell to hand me my delivery card. No clue why, but the postman had decided not to deliver my "you were out" card to me - but to a complete stranger who lives nowhere near me! Git. Suffice it to say, I'm keeping a careful eye on parcels coming in these days and if I know it's going to be delivered any time soon I'll ask my neighbour if I can leave a note asking them to leave it with her. She's nice enough and at least trustworthy enough not to steal my parcel! -_-

14. After going postal? Anything salvagable would be recovered. If melted into a goo-puddle, part of that would be kept. I'd re-buy the doll if I could and...attach this peice to the inside, a bit of string from the s-hook in the head. Part of the old inside the new. :>

If smashed, ect. I'd reconstruct it but leave it clear what happened to him. Those cracks in the resin could tell more of a story than ever.

15. I'll use Clover as an example, as she is carried by me most often-say she was destroyed some how and the only thing left was her head (but she lost a bit of it)
      I would repair the head as best I could (most likely mod it to look like scarring or just cover it with a Kakashi like bandana if it was say near her eye or something, and get her a new body
      even if one of her hands survived, Clover would still be Clover, just in a new body. I would still get a BBB Erin and mod the ears like the old Clover,
      Or make a robot like on Robot Wars and have her broken form inside if nothing survived enough to be on a new doll.
      I don't think I could just bury Clover and forget, I would find a way to keep her around, even if she wasn't purely a doll anymore

16. I would rather send the parts for experimentation than to "bury" or trash the doll. There are people out there who've done amazing things with dolls who were too damaged to remain their owner's concept, but have saved the concepts of many other dolls.

It's almost like organ donation. If my doll can save other peoples' dolls? Awesome.

17. You know, I did bury a toy or two when I was very young. I accidentaly left a small toy in the driveway... It was crushed, so I buried it. Sounds silly now, but it was kind of cute too in a way.

I don't know if I would bury a doll now that I am older. However, if it was really beyond any kind of repair, I might. Or see if anyone wanted it for free.

18. that's so sad... you should do something about it. tell their parents :c make them pay for it. it's completely reasonable. that's just so.... wrong. that makes me want to cry ;_;

19. I know a lot of people have said this to you to Foxxian but that is abseloutly awful. I mean I have had people keep stuff intended for me but what kind of person throws something away that's not even theirs(and just because she thought it was creepy is not an excuse). I really can't believe some people, what is the world coming to.*_*

20. I can't imagine how could I damage my precious ones to THAT extent that I need to bury him ;_;''
      If accident happened............I mean as the head is still in one, I'll just change the body parts for him....
      Unless it's the head which is gone ~_~|| Let's say even if I bought another new one,exactly same face but it's still not him~_~"" I think by then I will really find a place and bury him-_-;