1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny Conversation with non Doll Owners

Oct 22, 2017

1. Yes, exactly! Pretty much the only people that know about my dolls are hubby(who's also a BJDer), my parents, and my brother and sister in law. My best friend briefly saw them but I didn't explain in detail what they are lol. My co-workers know I craft and paint but that's the extent of it lol.

2. Not with non doll owners but still a funny conversation - a couple of my new doll friends and I were having a discussion about doll penises and how some of them are just so unnecessary hahaha. They showed me one of their dolls that had a really honkin big one and I just lost it. Like why??? :XD:

3. I was doing a faceup on Joren, one of my Littlefee, when my niece noticed (she'd been watching TV) and started asking questions. Pretty standard stuff at first. "What are you doing?" "What's that?" but then she realized I only had the dolls HEAD and she kind of got stuck on that. "Why don't you paint the rest of it???" "Why are you only painting THE HEAD???"

I should add that my niece is a really sweet girl, and she was very polite. Just puzzled about why I was painting A HEAD.

4. I talk very often about my dolls with non doll owners and, one day, I wanted to told my best friends on a facebook group that I received a head in the mail that day and, by mistake, I end up sending the message to a different person that didn't know anything about me collecting dolls. He thought I was some kind of psychopath :XD:

5. I was in a restaurant with my best friend. She asked me how my hunt for a body was coming along. I replied that I found one but I thought it would be to short and the color was to pink for the head I have in mind. The guy beside us spit out his mouth full of soda and we starting laughing like idiots.. glad he didn't call the cops. I told him we were talking about dolls.

6. I find the best way to find props for dolls is simply to take them shopping too. So, one day I was out and about and took Jeremy along. I wanted him to have some tiny bottles of booze, so we go to the liquor store. I'm holding him up to the display of tiny bottles to see if any of them are in scale to his hands. I was well aware this probably looked ridiculous but I simply don't care that much. One other shoppers stopped and asked, 'Do you take him everywhere you go?' I just gave a chuckle and said 'I wish I could.' I thought it was quite funny.

7. Well i was talking with other doll collectors about when I took my big guy to a meet and lost his penis. Im pretty sure my cat stole it. Anyways as Im telling them this a woman walks by and turns her head so fast with bulging eyes at me. It was hilarious!!

8. Oh believe me this conversations is a lot weirder in other languages than English! I live in Germany but can talk French and Turkish. I spam my friend a lot about bjds and the conversation always sounds weird... mostly because the translated counterparts sound extremely weird and if I just leave them English it sounds weird too. Most people think I am more interested in fashion dolls or porcelain dolls rather than bjds. I´ve also had people thinking I´m into adult dolls...

9. This so much! If anyone saw my Facebook tab, they’d be super weirded out! Especially when people are selling chest pieces with huge breasts or something -_-

10. This thread is hilarious!!! :XD::XD::XD: I had similar experience as most people, maily sounding like a manianical murder who has a certain preference for hands and eyes lol
      The wig talk is strange, too!

But the most difficult conversations are those with people completely out of any nerd or geek spectrum. I'm starting to think those are completely pointless. Usually people who are into pop culture had encountered BJDs, so those talks are easier on the tongue!

11. A few nights ago I was gushing about some upcoming doll plans to my husband. I realized he was just sitting there in silence with a faraway expression.

Me: "Er--sorry, I lost you. This must be boring."
      Him: "No, no... I'm just trying to understand."
      Me: "... understand?"
      Him: "I'm trying to imagine it, but all I have to compare is my truck. I can't see getting all worked up over making fake food and props for my truck, and taking it places to pose it with imaginary people for staged photos. I have to say, I don't see the appeal."

12. I had my SD girl out while I was sewing clothes for her and my little brother came in (he's 15). He just kind of stared at my doll for a while and asked, "Is that the mother to the babies?"
      I was really confused and asked him, "mother to what babies?"
      He pointed at my monster high dolls sitting on my bookshelf, "these babies..." and he was really serious about it.
      I explained that they weren't related, or even in the same story. I could tell he didn't really understand, but I'm glad he tried to show at least some interest in them. It was really funny ^w^

13. well, due to some superstition about dolls & how they attract spirits, one of the mot frequent thing non-doll people always say to me are like aren't you scared? don't you find them creepy? what would you do if they suddenly come to life & talk to you...?

well, i wouldn't b playing with them if i am scared. & if my dolls suddenly say hello to me, i'd just say hello back.... xDDD

#33 sureya, Jun 5, 2018
      Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    14. Whenever I get someone asking stuff like that I have to bite my tongue or I'll slip into being 'smart' and act like those are the outcomes I'm hoping for.

15. When a plagonologist meets a pediophobe...

16. Not so much conversations, buuuut my mom likes my dolls (she used to collect Barbies) and if I leave my dolls out and walk away from them while she is home, sometimes she'll get mischievous. When I come back, my dolls are in some hilariously inappropriate pose, sometimes with their clothes off, with no rhyme or reason or explanation. Posing like superstars with hands over their junk. Thanks, mom. :lol:

My past partners never really got it or took much of an interest in it, but my boyfriend? We roleplay characters on a forum together and he is DYING for me to turn one of my girls into a doll so he can make her boyfriend as a doll too, and then we can pose them together as a pairing and take pictures. He's the best, it's hilarious and so cute.

17. So I have a roomie who is waaaay creeped out by human dolls. Animal and fantasy bjds, she is cool with due to them not being so hinged on real life. Anyway, she is super cool and lets me gab to her about different dolls and companies, and how some of em are pretty outrageous sometimes.
      I was telling her once about a company that sends their grown male bjds with a bag of boy bits that are in various stages of ahem, salute if you get my drift. I was saying they're magnetic pieces and went on to say "and like, i suppose in anatomical standards it's cool but really unnecessary! Like what even does someone need something like that for their doll?"
      And she leans in, raises an eyebrow and smirks and says "oh you know what they're for. If they're into yaoi or hentai, you know what photoshoots they're for"
      And i got red faced and sighed because she was right XD

18. My poor roomies have to deal with me discussing dolls all of the time, shoving my phone in their faces and gushing over doll parts.

Though honest to goddess, one of the best reactions I've had to my dolls is when I took my Hanazawa brother's body to my dad's work place to pick up the heads, wigs, and hands that had come in a few days before. I was too excited to wait until I drove all the way back home, so I'm just sitting in my aunt's office, doll pieces on my lap with my freakiest looking doll coming to life. The sheer amount of 'What the-' looks I got from my dad's employees cracked me up. Their eyes just blinked and stared while i'm just having a full on normal conversation with my aunt and cousin.

Then, there is the fact that when I get bored in class, I go to doll sites to drool over dolls I will probably never own. It's especially funny when I notice people are looking over my shoulder and gawking at the Doll Chateau dolls I'm cooing over under my breath.

19. The first thing my mom said when I opened my first doll was “why is his penis so small?” Lmao I laughed my ass off about that one. The other was when I took the headcap off of a doll and my dad said “what the hell? What kind of sadistic shit is this, removing their body parts?”

20. Doll-fear culture be like:

Friends: "I thought you said dolls gave you the creeps?"
      Me: "That's porcelain dolls. BJD's are different."
      Friends: ". . . . No?"