1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender Preference?

Feb 16, 2017

1. When I downsized my doll collection, I only kept my four Fairyland60 girls. Then I quickly added three Volks girls. But of course that did not satisfy me (I have a little bit of a compulsive-obsessive disorder) so I decided to keep my Illusion Spirit boy (that was for sale) and I ordered a Luts Senior Delf Abadon, 'cause I thought he was very attractive! After following someone on Instagram, who has a Granado doll, I ordered a Granado Jaden (gorgeous face). I am also getting my Iplehouse Bichun back from my daughter, who had sort of kidnapped him!
      I guess what I am trying to say is that I am starting to like the male doll more - their faces and yes, their bodies! I seriously have "crushes" on some male sculpts! Maybe it's just I don't need any more females!

2. Starting the hobby, I only wanted boys because I had so many various female dolls growing up--fashion dolls, baby dolls, little girl dolls, mini figures--but so few boys, and the few I did have looked so much alike, it was incredibly boring. Once I got into BJDs, I thought I'd order a few custom boys, and just stick with my other female dolls.

Now, I've definitely been preferring female dolls over the last year. There are just so many fun clothing and shoe options for girls! Currently, of my human dolls, I have 12 boys and 9 girls, and of my pet dolls I have 2 boys and 4 girls, which is more balanced than I've ever been since starting the hobby. I feel like the scales may start tipping on the girl side more in the next year or two.

3. Originally, I had thought I'd only be buying male dolls. I have 90% male characters as I, myself, identify as male. However, I decided to order a female doll as I thought it would be good to have a female character for a change as well as be able to dress her as I would dress if I were female. (I'm gender queer with a heavy male lean. I'm weird, I know.) I have issues about my own self image as well as body issues and so would never dress the way I'll be dressing her. I also have anxiety about dressing like a female.

I know. I'm weird. :<

4. I think this describes my interest as well. I love all the different options for girl dolls. My experience is very limited so far, but I haven't found a male sculpt I really like.

5. I'm pretty equal. 5 boys and 5 girls. Only one couple in the group. I didn't plan them out that way, they're just who I ended up with.

6. 99% of all my dolls are male. If we are talking only from a bjd perspective it's 100% boys & will only be boys and mostly 70cm+ boys.

7. before getting my first doll, i've always wanted a bunch of boy dolls, but i find myself liking girl dolls a lot more now that i have one of my own

8. I prefer boys because I'm trying to find sculpts to that match my two story characters. I plan to expand my novel with photo-stories on my website and feel like I would be too distracted with female dolls. The temptation to play with them like I did in my youth would be too great!

9. I only have girls right now and I don't see that changing any time in the near future. I'm a male and I'm straight so girl dolls are aesthetically pleasing to me. Plus I'm not inspired by male fashion at all. I'd rather shop for cutesy dresses and casual cute girl styles any day. They don't work for me in real life but it's fun making my dolls cute :)

10. I only have boys :)

11. I have a male-bent bias with mine it seems. I have plans for (and have gotten) both, but I find myself more interested in searching out boys over the girls more often than not.

Part of it might be because of the over-saturation of female dolls growing up. Part of it could be my distaste for a lot of those dolls, like Barbie and baby dolls, as a kid. It also is because I find the male bodies more versatile from my personal experience. A lot of the males bodies are better posers, and are engineered to be that. I've noticed a lot of male bodies either come with three-part torsos by default or as an option. With girls, however, two and one part torsos are much more common. And those aren't very flexible. They pose prettily, but don't achieve a variety of natural poses.

To me, it seems like a lot of the girl bodies are designed for modeling, to take I'm pretty kinds of photo-shoots instead of I'm a badass and I'm going to show you exactly why that is photo-ops. Aesthetics and being pretty over action photos, in other words, and most of my characters (female) aren't meant to be pin-up girls or pretty princesses. Most are fairly athletic, and decently flexible. It unnerves me a bit that I can't find girl bodies to meet those needs. At least, not near as easily as the boys anyways.

I'm also a bit of a tomboy, but I don't have any desires to live out girly fantasies through my bjds. I have a sexy dresser who focuses on her looks, but the others are either tomboys or prefer to dress professionally (feminine, but with a more androgynous, masculine slant). I have some leaning towards androgynous boys, but none that are so much so they could easily be mistaken for girls. I guess, what I'm saying is...I like me some men :lol:

12. I'm completely uninterested in boys (which is weird to say as I'm a straight female myself). They don't have as many fashion styles as the girls and I really love the cutesy look for girls. I also love the bombshell look, and lets be honest, girls just have more vavavoom for that.

I will also admit, the male genitalia is a turn off for me. I've never been enamored with genitalia on dolls to begin with and boy dolls are a lot more detailed than the girls in that area.

13. I don't really have a preference, it just depends on the character I want to do. Currently I am working on finishing up two girl dolls that represent my daughters. Then I'll make one to represent me and my husband. I am also interested in getting a couple boys and a girl for other characters I have in my mind. I kind of use the dolls as more of a way to express myself, so both genders can used for that purpose.

14. My on-topic dolls are about equally divided into guys and gals.

Gals: 6 (4 SD, 1 MSD, 1 1/6th scale, but +3 off topic female dolls)

Guys: 6 (5 SD, 1 MSD)

The odd one out is agender (?) nonbinary (?) its unclear.

The one caveat is that unlike my guys, who are all intended to be boy sculpts, I have two girls who are intended to be boy sculpts (LLT Roderich and Simply Divine Harlequin).

So sculpt-wise, I seem to have a clear preference for boy faces (9 intended to be boy sculpts: 4 intended to be girl sculpts).

I think it's because their eyes are smaller, in general (boy sculpts from the same company and same line tend to have smaller eyes than the girls), and because I feel in some ways that the masculine beauty ideal in BJDs (for whatever reason, whether this be unique to BJDs or representative of a larger social issue--I tend to favor the latter explanation) is less rigid (there's more variety in "attractive" features.

(I like my Roman/Aquiline noses, my cleft chins, my substantial jaws, and I don't particularly think my preferences are restricted to one sex or gender among humans--just resin dolls [Tonner in particular likes heavy jaws and even slight cleft chins in female sculpts, as does Poppy Parker]).

15. I tend to like girl dolls best, no idea, I guess just because I find the female perspective nicer to be around? Though my one MSD girl is going to be pretty boyish, I don't think she will wear much that is extremely girly and I'm getter her short hair along with a big hoodie and jeans. I thought I would get guys too, but I think I'll just have girls in many different styles. :D

16. I have both, although the males outnumber the females 4:1. I collect non-BJD dolls as well though, and the numbers are flipped for them, so if I consider them all together it's probably an equal 50/50 split.

As to why the BJDs are so heavily weighted to the males, I think it's because in so many other doll types there are fewer male options that I just appreciate the options more.

17. Boys! Because most of them are based on male characters. :cool:

18. Girls are the 4/5 of my doll collection right now and I only have plans for more girl dolls.
      I have one boy but I have nothing against them, in fact it is because I'm totally a nitpick when it comes to how a guy should look like, dress, and everything. I find it really hard to have one to my liking and dressing him while sticking with MSDs and smaller sizes.

19. I want an even mix of girls and boys! heh xD Because I dont have preexisting characters I just buy mine for the looks and so far I have a girl (off-topic which I count in my collection) and one boy on-topic hehe :D My next will be another girl on-topic and the other after I hope to be a boy (off-topic) hahah xD

20. When I started into the hobby I only liked Doll boys .... but recently I like girly dolls too ^__^ ...