1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender Preference?

Feb 16, 2017

1. I have only female. I feel I can put them together better, plus I like all cute stuff!

2. I'm only interested in girl dolls.

3. girls mainly but I am starting to collect boys as I want to make them as the bg for my precious girls when I take photos lol

4. I'm only interested in girls! But I also am a bisexual woman that prefers women so I just find them prettier in general I think lol

5. I started out with only boys and ended up with only girls. My wishlist DOES have a good mix of male and female characters, but right now at home all I got is girls.

The reason why it started out as all boys and switched was because as I got older, I was able to unpack a lot of my own internalized misogyny. Originally I only wrote male characters because they were "more interesting", until I realized that there was nothing inherently less interesting about girls, I just wasn't allowing myself to think of them that way (and to be fair, there weren't many good examples of interesting female characters out there either). As soon as I realized that, I couldn't stop writing girls - the kind I wish I could have read about as a child. Girls doing "boy" things while not being ashamed of being girls or occasionally liking girly things. Since all of my dolls are based on my characters, well. I wound up with a bunch of girls.

...The other reason it switched to girls is because girl BJDs are much easier to shop for, haha. There's so many cute dresses and rompers and accessories and shoes. When you start looking for boy stuff (that's MSD-to-YoSD-sized, anyways) it's like... School uniform, some jeans, baseball cap, sneakers.

6. I prefer feminine dolls over all, and mostly female bodies. I think male dolls are beautiful but the bodies are always too masculine for me, if a male doll really appealed to me then maybe, but Girl dolls for the win!

7. I have only girls for now . I am thinking in the future to buy and boys . But always with fairyline bodies

8. At the moment here at home the situation is balanced. 4 boys and 4 girls. But I always find myself looking at the boys on the internet

9. I love both girl and boy dolls. When it comes to attachment and desire to buy the doll itself I lean more toward the boys, but when it comes to buying and creating stuff for I would say I prefer girls. As a dude myself, I feel like I relate better to dude dolls? But when it comes to dressing dolls up, doing their hair and making them look nice then I always lean toward girls. I think the different appeal equalizes my preference. I love them both!

10. I have ordered only female dolls for now but will probably eventually get a male doll. Some day. Nothing against male dolls, I just think the female ones are cuter and there are more options for them as far as clothes, wigs, etc.

11. I prefer boy dolls for sure. I used to collect mainly off-topic girl dolls and thought their male counterparts were always tragically boring, so I thought I'd be the same with bjds. Turns out its the reverse and there are very few bjd girls I find interesting compared to all the boy sculpts I want, haha.

I also just have more fun coming up with masculine/angrogynous looks for my dolls in general now, after a lifetime of girl dolls and girl doll clothing.:whee:

12. Girls all the way. I do like boys, but I'm mostly interested in feminine and androgynous fashion so I naturally gravitated towards girls. My favourite characters in media that aren't male dominated are almost always girls, too.

13. I only own boys so far, and all of my doll plans are for boys.... However that might change in the future! I find it so weird though because I only feel this way about BJDs. All other dolls I love, barbies, EAH, winx, integrity toys (basically fashion dolls) I prefer girls! I am genderfluid/masc leaning and maybe that's why?? I honestly have no idea. I just can't picture myself owning a BJD girl anytime soon.

14. I like a mix of both male and female and I've got one which is mostly genderless. I don't think I have a preference based on gender, it's the sculpt that has to grab me.

15. I guess, for me, I prefer girl dolls because:
      A) I'm a girl
      B) So many more styles and sculpts for girl dolls
      C) it's so hard to find clothing for boy dolls (in my experience) :...(

16. Almost 100% girls, but this could be because I'm into the 30 cm dolls, and all the boys in that range are very thin and have feminine faces. If I could find a masculine one close to that range it'd be super tempting, though. I thought DV Eagle Rah looked incredible, but 43cm... I don't know if I have room for a doll that size yet :eek:

17. All my dolls so far are boys. Even in video games I almost always make a boy character to play with, because there is just something odd and off putting about fake breasts. (And not to mention most video games have very, very skimpy outfits but that's a different topic.) Plus it seems like just one more measurement to have to keep track of when looking for clothes (unless you sew them yourself and then you have even MORE measurements to worry about).

EDIT - mere hours after this I got a notification that a tiny Pukifee I bid on was mine! She's going to be so sweet and cute and I can't wait to see her!

. . . and then I ordered a "Avex" from Gem of Doll to be the daughter of my crime husbands. The boys still heavily outweigh the girls, but I can no longer say I have ONLY boys. But in my defense - they are still pre-teen little girls and I still don't have to worry about fuller figures.

#597 Pafferton, May 24, 2022
      Last edited: May 24, 2022
    18. I love boys and girls equally. I can find everything I need for my boys and girls (and if I can't find it I make it) so I have no issues with clothes and accessories and I enjoy my girls and boys the same.

19. I haven't been fully in the hobby for very long but I've noticed I tend to really be drawn to boys. The doll I have on layaway right now is a boy, all the dolls that have caught my eye on general browsing sessions have been boys, and just about every doll I've considered seriously has also been a boy. It's funny because I would really like to get a girl someday!! But every time I look into what girls I might be interested in, I get distracted by the dudes :sweat Maybe the solution is just to find a boy head I like that can fit a girl body I also like...

20. I notice I prefer the anesthetics of female dolls at least with 1/4 scale. On the 1/3 scale I prefer male doll. The males in 1/4 look more boyish than manly or at least the ones I've seen mostly are. Where as the females definitely have a more accurate look for a more grown up appearance.