1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender Preference?

Feb 16, 2017

1. I started off with mostly female dolls and they're still the majority, although I always preferred male dolls. It's much easier to buy/make clothing for female dolls and my male dolls end up being dressed as girls since I can't find/make clothing that matches them.

2. I have five vinyl dolls and three resin, and they're all girls. This is my perspective as a guy. For action figures or anime PVC sculptures, male characters can be "cool," and I might like to have them if I like the game / series that they are from. But my BJDs are not "cool" like that. They are instead "beautiful," and they require more intimate handling. I am thinking of things like dressing them, styling their hair, posing them, shopping for goodies to treat them with, etc. All of that is just a bit whimsical and romantic. I feel and appreciate a doll's beauty much more when the doll is female. I would hazard a guess that the (straight) women and gay guys who collect mostly male dolls also find themselves more easily and fully able to appreciate the beauty of wonderfully made male BJDs.

Women have some motivations for buying female dolls that I don't have; such as wanting to have a doll that looks like themselves. This is a big thing for kids, at least in the US where I'm from. "American Girl" dolls are supposed to "look like you!" So they're kind of a twin, and kind of a friend. I'm quite different from all that, and so I'm probably much more like the women who buy mostly male dolls.

3. I always order girl dolls. I don't know why exactly? I just prefer them!

4. There are some male sculpts there I like, but the majority ones that get my attention are girl ones.

5. I might look into a masculine doll once I get more settled into the hobby, but I've always aesthetically liked the look of feminine dolls more. I can sew better for them too.

6. I have both, but I vastly prefer girls. They’re much easier/fun to dress in the specific size I collect.

7. Definitely girls! I just seem to be more interested in their sculpts and always gravitate towards the girl dolls. Maybe one day I will end up getting a boy doll but for now, it's staying all girls. That an I find dressing up and sewing for girl dolls far more interesting!

8. I originally only planned on having girl dolls, mostly because I just hadn't seen any boy dolls I was drawn too. I tend to like to dress my dolls in styles that I'd love to try myself but would never feel comfortable doing, which is probably why I feel more drawn to girls. However I recently fell in love with a boy sculpt and ended up purchasing it, so I'll be adding a boy to my small but growing collection:XD:

9. My preference... is definitely boys, be it hyper-masculine guys, very feminine ones, and everything in between. I've got... 31 dolls and literally only 3 are girls. Granted 4/6 dolls in my wishlist at the moment are also girls, but that would still only make it a 30 to 7 split, so... :XD: I don't know what it is. I just find male characters more interesting to develop, and, as an extension, to dress, and have around as dolls.

10. I've got a ratio of about 2:1 girls to boys currently but it fluctuates. I mostly pick dolls based entirely on whether I like their sculpt and can think of an interesting way to style them, whatever their gender happens to be is secondary. I've got some dolls that fall into the genderless section as well such as some fantasy tinies and some of Lutz's SD muse bodies.

11. I definitely prefer boy sculpts (or so I thought) but I find my collection is pretty close to 1:1. I care more about over all feeling of the doll than if it's meant to be male or female.

I think with a lot of girls I like the faces but the chest pieces can sometimes have really strange proportions or shapes that put me off - I'm not a fan of giant anime bosoms. Everyone in my collection has small busts.

12. I only have girls right now although Dollfie Dream Kaito is preordered. He's going to be a lucky guy!

I did enter a Volks lottery for a Super Dollfie boy last year, but was unsuccessful.

13. I’ve always preferred male dolls! I think it’s for a few reasons… when I was growing up I consumed a lot of “boy-centric” media, or something.. Like how all of my favorite anime/other shows always had the coolest male protagonist, so I looked up to them a lot! Plus, all of the bands I listened to were either all-male or male-fronted, and I also looked up to those guys. For that reason I made only male characters for years, lol. I’ve never been super interested in feminine clothes like skirts or dresses, so that’s another reason why I have a bias towards guys. I am open to having girl dolls in the future since I have girl characters, and they’re super cute! But I think I need to satisfy the urge to shell a few more of my boys before I move onto my girls :b

14. I like to have both in balance. So I can have fun dressing both male/female. So far I have both genders in all scales in my collection although I’m not that into boy/male. I simply cannot find male doll that I like even though I do want to have them. I used to assign two characters on one doll when I had only one doll in that scale. :)

15. I seem to be pretty evenly matched! The first ones I feel in love with were boys, then the first ones I liked in the scale i collect were girls, and if i look at the ones i have and the ones i have planned it's about even!

Most of my OCs seem to be girls though.

16. I never really thought I had a preference until I got my first girl doll. I find there are more clothing options that I like for female than male, plus my male doll is 73cm and thus impossible to find anything outside of his original outfit. So I will probably never get another boy doll, because I don't have the confidence to clothe them :'3

17. I only own girls but it wasn't my intention. I Hava had boys, but never felt bounded to any of them, so I sold them. I enjoy girls because I find them more versatile.

18. It’s not exactly a preference, but like others I find girls easier or more fun to dress and style. I have 5 boys and 17 girls at the moment.

19. I only have one boy in my collection but I do want more. I seem to like girls better and I have better taste in styling them lol.

20. I love androgynous dolls as I feel like I can dress them in anything :whee: but if I had to choose, I do prefer girl dolls, if only because I find sewing their outfits just a little bit more fun. I enjoy the challenge of making a really nice-fitting top!
      My collection also leans more small & anthro/ fantasy, so I don't associate them as much with human gender norms to begin with!