1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender within Certain Doll Companies

Feb 3, 2010

1. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I tend to gravitate towards female sculpts. ^^;

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other gender?
      Done it twice so far~. :3 I have a ResinSoul Jun girl, and a SOOM Chrom girl. I don't have any swapped the other way yet, but just give me time. (Well, unless you count my Leekeworld Happy, who is on a male AOD body, but her character is female. It's...a weird backstory.)

How do you feel about genderless dolls?
      I want a larger genderless doll. :3 I think they're very nifty~.

2. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I usually pay more attention to the boy scuplts, I like some of the girls I have come across but they usually have a certain elegance and look about them that I find appealing. Most I find look a bit too child like for their types to suit the sort of characters I'd like to make.

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other gender?

I'm considering this with one of my current dolls and one I'm going to get in the near future just out of curiosity, if it looks good I may keep them that way but I'd like to try and see either way.

I'm quite amused by the idea, it adds a little mystery to them I suppose. I personally don't own any and don't think I've actually seen any but I don't mind the idea. ^^

3. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I like them both! I have sculpts of both boys and girls. I understand that the question is more about your favorite company's molds, but that's also tricky, since I like a variety of dolls and typically only like a few molds out of every company. @.@ My favorites of any company are simply just my favorites, whether boy or girl, and my preference is not dependent on the sex!

I would certainly consider it, yeah. I've not felt any desire to for any mold at this time, but customizing is one of my favorite things about the hobby. Dunno about the modding part, because my favorite body sculpts have been my favorite due to the fact that they are what they are. Changing them into another gender would probably make me like it less.

If I like one I see, I like it, regardless of gender, and again, have no preference towards one gender or another, even genderless.

4. I'm currently calling Dollmore my "favorite company" - though I haven't purchased from them, I seem to get a really great vibe from them and I love so many of their dolls. So that's how I'm responding with your questions.

It depends on the doll type.
      I tend to like their Model dolls fairly equally across gender.
      Their Adam/Eve series seems to lean a little more heavily in favor of the Eves.
      The Dollmore Kids are strongly favoring the boys.

I think it's partly a matter of presentation, though. The Dollmore Kid boys seem to have more attention put into their poses, face-ups, wigs and costuming for their promotional photos. Someone really enjoys their job there working with them. The Dollmore Kid girls seem to have more washed out or generic looks, as if the photographer doesn't enjoy working with them so much. They have the exact same heads and very similar body types as the boys, so it's not like there should be a major difference! But there is.

Dollmore Eves - imho - are photographed as well as or a bit better than Adams. Perhaps I'm responding to choices in face-ups; etc. I don't see the same joy as whoever works with the Dollmore Kid boys, but they seem to present the youths equally well and I'm probably just responding to costume choices and such. Other people have pointed out that the youth series doesn't seem to have very good photos. I've seen more than one person comment in Dollmore threads that they never knew the doll could be that beautiful until they saw the owner photos.

The Models have it easier, I think, because they just need to look gorgeous and their photoshoots reflect their name: model photographs. The Kids have personality and the Models have glamour. The Youths are just sort of shafted a bit because I don't know if whoever does the photos for Dollmore knows how to present them.

Yep. Doing that for sure. I'm putting a Dollmore Zaoll Luv head (girl) on a Ringworld type 1 youth body (boy). I'm putting a Leekeworld Wien head (boy) on the Zaoll Luv body.

I have no further plans to gender swap a head or body as the dolls I have serious or half-plans for I've found good bodies/heads for them of the proper gender. xD

No problem with them, of course...

I might one day make a genderless doll. I just have no characters who are genderless. Gender-neutral or ambiguous (see also Zaoll/Ringdoll hybrid), sure. But not actually genderless.

5. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I don't have one favorite company, but there are certainly companies where I like their style better on one gender. Buddydoy boys are marvelous, but their girls don't speak to me. Or Peak's Woods who's girls I adore, but there boys don't call (not as boys, anyway).

Five of my dolls were sculpted to be the opposite gender than I have them. Four were boys and became girls, one a girl who became a boy.

To be honest, I find them disturbing, even tinies. Smooth groins on dolls bothered me all through growing up and I find it no less unsettling halfway through my 30s. I have some dolls that came with genderless bodies, but I would never choose it if given the option. Gender flexability pleases me greatly, lack of it not so much.

6. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I can't say right now that I have a favorite company, but I've noticed that I much prefer female dolls, or at least have an easier time picking them out. My taste in male dolls is dead identical to Kuma Smash!'s, loving masculine and muscular boys, and with all the girlish and pretty boy faces that are on boys everywhere. (The lone exception is my RS Bao, but he's actually a child, so his slight self reflects that.)

Yes, absolutely. I really like this kind of thing, and have been playing with the very idea a while now for a certain character that is a very strong looking female. (Although now I'm leaning toward DollMore Pado, a doll released as either gender, but more popularly a boy doll.)

I probably wouldn't mod a doll for this, though. I wouldn't want to mess it up and there are so many body types out there for each gender now that it would be easier to hybrid than dremel a peen or somthing.

Indifferent. I know that some people like it, but I haven't gotten grabbed by a doll with this type of body.

7. Haha, I meant the genderless body dolls, like the tinies/Volks' angels, etc. :) Someday, I'd like to have a genderless doll, just because I like the concept of 'genderless' and would like to see it personified in a doll.

8. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I'm very picky with girl molds, but I can't say I'm drawn to boys more than girls. I look at both genders equally when I go to doll sites. Though I pay more attention to girls initially for the moment, it's ONLY because I have an overabundance of boys right now and want more girls for playing pretty.

I'm considering that right now, actually. KDF Woori on a girl body, rather than a boy, would be perfect for one of my little girl characters.

I own three, an MSD-size, a Yo-SD-size, and a Puki. First and last have ended up being girls, while the middle ended up male. I don't mind genderless dolls at all. In fact, sometimes it makes things a little easier when deciding what gender I want the sculpt to be.

9. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I generally prefer the look of girl molds -- not because I'm more interested in collecting girls, but because I'm so picky about male molds!

Absolutely. I think one of the most awesome things about this hobby is the fact that, with a little work, you can get a doll to look exactly the way you want.

Well, sometimes that just suits the character/a person's tastes... or convenience. I don't really prefer one way or the other... if a doll isn't available the way I want... well, that's what modding's for! Hehe. I could definitely see myself needing a genderless tiny for a future character...

10. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

To the girl molds I'll go "oooh, pretty :chibi " Then move on to looking at the boys, which are the ones I'm looking to buy.

Well, I want to make a non-oc character doll (Gaara from Naruto :D ) but I havn't been able to find the right face. And after much, much, much, MUCH searching; I finally decided on a MNF Marcia. But since Gaara's a boy, (A slender one at that) I plan to buy Marcia on her origional female body, then mod it into a boy <3

They can be cute I suppose (I'm making a BJD out of a character of mine who was intended to be sexless. But since it was Shonen-ai/Yaoi, that didn't work out too well, so I ended up giving him a willy :sweat ) but, to me for the most part, they seem like sad little creatures. IMHO.

11. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I like boy dolls. So I'm more likely to prefer boy moulds. However, my favourite companies are Luts and Abio Angel, so they don't typically have the most masculine of faces.

I really want a Lishe on a B&G boy body! *dreams*

I really like that puki puki come genderless, but all of my dolls end up with a gender regardless of my best intentions. Someday I might try and have a truly neutral dolls though, the idea is fascinating.

12. Like with the A La Carte dolls, or with any good resin match, really, I don't have any problem with swapping gender if a 'boy' mold looks more girlish or a 'girl' mold more boyish.

I frequently find myself preferring the boy molds, though there are a couple girls I think are beautiful.

There are circumstances where I'm all for genderless dolls. I think genderless works really well with tinies, and one of the dolls I have planned is a nonhuman and therefore lacks, erm... primary sexual characteristics, shall we say. (not that I don't also want gendered non-human characters dollified...)

=^__^=
      Anneko

13. Can someone post some examples of genderless dolls? Outside of the tinies? TIA!

14. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I tend to gravitate more towards the Volks girls than the Volks boys. It's not that I dislike the boys so much as I just really love their girls--especially their more stylized sculpts. With Ninodoll I love both, and honestly, most of their heads look great as either males or females.

Absolutely--hybridizing is a great way to get just what you want.

And the last one, as a sort of curiosity:

Most of the time I prefer them to have a gender, because that's part of their characters. However, I need a body for a boy that has a lot of feminine characteristics. If I could find a softer slightly curvey genderless body, that would be great--I would be able to get the shape I wanted without having to mod the chest.

15. I don't know about the first 2 questions, but I definitely wish there were more genderless msd size dolls. I ended up just having to buy a boy and sand his parts off.

16. I know that Hypermaniac bodies were genderless (Hypermaniac has not been active for a loooong time, though), as were some of the Volks limited angel line (Yugiri, Sakaki, etc).

17. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      My favorite company -Crobidoll- I love their boys, way more than their girls. Same for DollZone. I like boys more in general XDDD The only company I really like the girls from would be Dollmore, and they're not my favorite company -still like them though!- XD

YES. Sdf Annette and Dahlia always scream "cute boy!!" to me XDDD I can't look at a Sdf Annette without thinking it needs to be male :P

Eh, they're okay. I am a giant SD lover, and I don't think I'll ever get anything smaller than 60 cms., so I don't really like genderless dolls. But tinies are my one exception to the rule XD

18. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      My favourite company is Dollshe (mainly the older dolls) and I prefer the males. I also like Souldoll (males), Luts (males), and Dollzone (males). I like Resinsoul females and males and I prefer females from Dollmore.
      Some styles just suit my taste better as males or females. For instance, I just don't care for the Dollzone style on females very much.

I already have. I have a CP Camilla that's modded to a boy.

I don't think I would ever have one, but I have seen some that look nice.

19. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

Volks Females, definitely. They work better for me in all ways.

It depends the mold. There are some female heads that I found them quite masculine. And some boys are androgynous enough to look like a girl.If modding helps to make them look like I want, there shouldn't be any problem.

I don't like them unless they're childs or tinies that I don't really mind.

20. Genderless dolls scare me. I mean, there's a mostly naked doll on the table right now and that's kinda creepy (thankfully he got pajamas last night XD)

So, while an anatomically correct doll makes me feel awkward, one with nothing down there creeps me out even more.