1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender within Certain Doll Companies

Feb 3, 2010

1. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I don't really have a favourite company, but I do find that certain companies I gravitate towards one gender over the other. I think it's just cause they have the style I am looking for.

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other gender?
      I have a Dolkot Kiss girl and a Soom Heliot girl, and a Nanuri 07 on a modded female body (modded to create a curvy boy body), so yes I will and have considered it. XD Modding bodies is less realistic than simply swapping heads, but if you're okay with the look it can work.
      I personally find that because of the "girliness" of a lot of male sculpts, I tend to sit there and think "that would make a better girl", so if I can't find the look for a character I want in a female doll, I'll look at male sculpts and see if they'll work as female.

How do you feel about genderless dolls?
      I don't mind them. I pretty much prefer them with tinies, as I can just state what gender they are, instead of having to mod the body or find a replacement.

2. As a general rule, I'm more attracted to female dolls, so for most companies I prefer their female sculpts... one exception to this is Unidoll's Unireal line (I love their manly men, but their females don't appeal to me).

As for gender-switching, I am all for it, no matter which gender. It does depend on the sculpt sometimes though. I have a Minifee Shiwoo girl myself, as well as a Juri06 boy (though the Juri06 was only distributed as a head, it's shown on a girl body on the Luts site). Personally, I prefer buying an opposite-gender body over modding, but I've seen some marvelously-modded bodies out there.

For genderless dolls, they don't bother me if it's a childlike tiny or if the character is supposed to be genderless. But if the character is adult and supposed to have a gender, I want the sculpt to match.

3. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

My favourite company head-wise is still CP, and as a rule I like the boy dolls more (although Lishe is the massive exception! ;)) I couldn't say why, other than that I like the androynous look they have to them, and I love the shape of the eyes. A lot of the CP girls have larger, more exaggerated eyes (especially with the older heads) that I find off-putting, and sometimes even a little creepy! :lol:

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other gender?

Absolutely. My housemate owns a girl Elf El who is stunning, and I own an Abio Angel girl who is actually on a male body, becuase I prefer her taller and lankier than other girls! Her face (a Shi-Wu sculpt) makes a lovely woman, IMO.

Generally indifferent. I have nothing against them at all, but no real desire to own one. I have seen some around on the forums, and have quite liked some and not liked others.

At the end of the day, a doll's gender is less important to me than it's character. If it's character and personality are interesting to me, then I'll love it regardless and it's gender is simply incidental to that. ;)

4. I don't have one favorite company, there are at least three favs in a tie, but with Volks I like the male sculpts, with Dollzone too,Angell Studio is a fairly new fav of minewith their male dolls, expecially Cain(who I am lucky enough to have) with AOD it doesn't matter.It's no secret with my friends and the mega collector I have bought several of my BJDs from that all my dolls despite physical body become males when they join my doll family.

I have never changed a doll's body, or put a girl's head on a boy body, but once when I bought a Narae, the seller/collector asked if I wanted her to change the body to a male body , which she did ,because she knows all my dollfies these days are males, or become so.

As for genderless dolls, I really don't have that strong a feeling about that.

5. hahaha, i guess this question doesn't apply to me since i only like girls! Volks girls, CH girls, Rosette only makes girls ... and pipos genderless.

6. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I usually prefer the boy sculpts, i dont really know why they just seem more appealing to me

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other
      gender?

I would definitely consider modding the doll if it feat the character correctly.

7. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      Usually, if I like something from a company, I will like other things, since their aesthetic will generally appeal to me. But sure, there are some companies that I prefer more one gender or the other... not often, though. Usually it is more because the company seems to do more of one gender or the other, I think.

No. I find there are plenty of sculpts around... I don't need to swap heads and bodies around in order to get dolls I like. (But I'm easy, as far as dolls go. And am too lazy to want to do a lot of modding when I can just find what I like anyway.)

Depends on if it suits a specific sculpt or a specific character. Usually I prefer one gender or the other.

8. I don't have any Doll Chateau dolls yet, but they're currently my favourite company to drool over and I've realised that I really mostly like the girls. Whereas at Iplehouse, I mostly adore their boys.

I would definitely love to genderswap the two new Fairyland minifee boys. I think Mika and Mir would make stunning girls!

9. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I far prefer male dolls in general and only collect them.

Yes I have used a head sculpt made for a female as a boy and that is my Dia boy Indy. I love the Dia mouth and that sculpt just fitted the character perfectly.

Doesn't bother me. I have two young Naga boys and they have genderless upper bodies and their tails start from the hips down. For my other dolls though I like their bodies to be obviously male.

10. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

From Soom I prefer the boys (keep in mind that I'm more of "boy doll" collector^^), I never look or have interest for the girl molds. I love the tinies from Soom, and most of them are sold as "genderless" or have the girl counterpart (same mold) I always choose the boy choice or make a boy out of the genderless one, though.

Fairyland and Iplehouse are the only companies where I like the girls from. I have a precious tiny girl from fairyland and would like to get a Mirwen someday. I don't have interest in their MSD boys but I'm all for the MSD girls (or minifees) and if Iplehouse improves their JID bodies I would get Asa again (I had to sell her because the body made me nuts).

From Luts, I prefer the boys^^

Of course, I have done it multiple times^^ I recently got a Mystic kids Miri head (sold as a girl) and got him a boy body.

The genderless dolls I have are tinies but they are boys. You mean androgyny? that you don't know whether is a girl or boy?....because I don't know how 'genderless' look like lol either way, genderless dolls are ok because it is the looks, personality and face up (for me, at least) that make them either a boy or girl so in the end, I'll be giving my genderless dolls a gender^^

11. I like Souldoll and Soom boys, but their girls can look kind of bland. Whereas I like Iplehouse and Fairyland girls, but the boys don't work for me. With Dollzone and Ringdoll, I like both their boys and their girls equally, depending on sculpt rather than gender.

I can see a boy's head on a girl's body or vice versa, and I have one of them myself(a RS Pi head on a Pixiu body) but I'm selling that doll as I can't bond with her. But yeah, I would if I thought a certain head looked better on a genderswapped body.

Genderless tinies are awesome, I have an AE Peppermint that came to me as a girl but I turned him into a boy. Genderless larger dolls are kind of hard to envision for me.

12. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      Generally speaking, I prefer male dolls over females, but with my favourite companies I like both male and female scuplts about equally. I just happen to want male dolls more than I want female ones.

Yes, I've actually done this. I have BBB Sprite (female) on a Resinsoul double-jointed male body.

Genderless as in non-anatomically-correct bodies? It really depends on the age the doll is supposed to represent or if it's a fantasy-type doll. For my teen/adult "human" dolls, I generally prefer them to be gendered, but for anthros or young children, it's not so much of a concern. As for androgynous faces, I'm not really a fan (mostly because I don't like feminine boys all that much) but I don't totally dislike them. I think they have their place and can be really nice, depending on the character you're trying to represent with them.

13. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I tend to like girl molds more, regardless of company.

Yes, If I want my doll to be a certain gender, I will try to find a matching body for him/her. However, if a genderswap is not possible and hybriding proofs to be difficult, I just go with the gender of the body and dress it girly / manly. I have one boy who looks very feminine and dresses feminine. I don't bother to search for a girl body since he was a limited and there are feminine and andrygonous boys out there.

I have four dolls who are genderless, strictly speaking. Two are girls, one is a boy and the fourth is yet to be decided. I'm only glad that my zuzu delf is genderless. I would have liked for my Momocolor Michelle to have genitalia like my other dolls (mostly yo's), but alas. Same for Soom teenie gem. My mermaid has a tail, but I do like that her upper body has a slight bust. I generally prefer gendered dolls though.

14. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I haven't really noticed that I prefer one gender over the other in most companies... the only one where I might have much preference right now is DollPamm, but only because he JUST released the boys and I haven't gotten to see many owner photos of them yet (there aren't a lot of DP owner photos in general, though). Otherwise, I don't have a really strong preference one way or the other with the other companies I tend to favor.

I am terribly guilty of this, actually! I have a BBB Sprite (female) head on a male body, an AoD You/Yu (male) head on a female body, a FL LTF Pukisha (sold male) faceplate on a female body, a FL LTF Reni (male) faceplate on a female body, an incoming FL LTF Chloe (female) faceplate on a male body.... I also have an incoming FL MNF Sarang event head, and while most people seem to be going "female" with that sculpt, mine will be getting a male body later this year. :)

For the most part, I'd prefer to have a distinct gender to the sculpt. The one exception I have to this is FL Pukis, in part because they're so much like little elves and spirits, and in part because mine utterly refuses clothing. Anything larger than a Puki, however, I strongly prefer a gendered sculpt if it's a humanoid doll.

15. already answered this, but it's been 4 years and felt like re-answering :)

When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more?
      I'm not sure I have a preference. most of the time I'm just aimlessly browsing so I look at everything and fall in love with anything!

definitely, yes.
      I don't recall all the dolls I've had, but I've definitely made at least one canonically girl doll into a boy, and I plan on making a boy head as a girl in the near future. the company released teasers and process pics of the sculpting and right away I knew I had to have it and have already picked out a female body, but recently they said it was meant as a boy and I just went "wait, what?". it's still going to be a girl for me. :-)

love 'em. more place for not giving a fuck creativity.

16. I don't think I really split up companies like that, I've owned male and female sculpts from the same companies and I've also done head swaps and turned girl sculpts into boys(: I have not, however, turned a boy sculpt into a girl...at least not yet! I will say I tend to like Fairyland girls more than their boys, I don't think I'd ever get a Fairyland boy. Another funny thing, there are some companies whose bodies I really like, and have bought, but I don't like a single one of their head sculpts!

17. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

Hmmm... I've definitely noticed this. For example, with Iplehouse I tend to much prefer the girl dolls to the boy dolls. I think it's because they sculpt a lot of their dolls with a lot of personality... and I love women who look like they have a lot of attitude and power, so I'm drawn to the female dolls. The male dolls... For the most part just don't appeal to me aesthetically.

It's the opposite with Soom - I tend to much prefer their male dolls to their female ones. The male dolls all have some sort of refined, vulnerable/angelic features while still remaining recognizably masculine. The female dolls.... That same aesthetic makes them too fragile-looking/boring for me. Not all of them, of course, but generally I tend to like more of the males than the females.

Oh, I would definitely put a male head on a female body. I'm planning one already - Iple nYID Chris on a female body because she'd be *perfect* for my super-soldier character. Angular enough to look like it was a woman who spent a long time doing heavy, physically-demanding work. I can't really think of any BJD molds that are female that I would want as a male (except maybe a tiny, but it's not like they have any particularly gendered features to begin with). The males themselves are already feminine enough.

I'd prefer not to mod. Too much hassle, and generally the results (to me) are less than satisfying.

I own one! So of course they're tooootally okay by me.

18. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

Not really... I kind of like them equally, though if you went by numbers of each I like more of the male molds than female molds (we're talking Resinsoul here btw)...

Definitely. I kinda already have, actually. OnlyDoll Ranxue is a yosd sculpt, so they're even more Androgynous, but the company sells her as a girl but I have both a boy and a girl one.

I like genderless dolls, I guess. Especially for younger sculpts.