1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

General Mecha Angel discussion thread!

Jul 21, 2011

1. Ahh I love them! Their outfits are very cool~

Antares is on my dream list (someday, the MP will provide)!

Good to know about the elastic! I ordered 4mm and 5mm, just to be safe. It seems like the kind I removed is 4mm, but I keep second-guessing myself when trying to check mm anything (lots of fun when we get to eyeballs, lol). Luckily SoulinaBox 14mm small iris eyes look great in my Sabik. It's also a common size so I'll have more colors to try him with soon, even if they're meant for other dolls.

2. Oof, well, I've arrived at a question for ye owners of Mecha Angel boys.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

This piece was loose in Sabik's chest cavity when I unstrung him. I took pictures to make sure I put him back together correctly, but this piece was in opposition to how it fits on top of his stomach piece.

How is this piece arranged inside your boys (if you're able to peep, I'd be highly grateful)!

#822 Nissa, Feb 4, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    3. Another update - finished sueding my Sabik! I decided to simply glue the loose piece to the top of the stomach portion, as it fit the top of that perfectly. It seems like it's supposed to funnel the leg strings, maybe so they don't twang around and mess with the inside of the chest cavity. The 'floating loose in the chest' part seemed weird though, so now it's fixed in place with the same harmless PVA glue I used for the sueding.

Note: the camera made the suede look very dark, must be the color of the towel/early evening lighting. It's actually just natural tan. Next time, though, I might try and get beige or white if it's available, as my collection's due some ghost spirit folk soon enough~

Oh and his hip sockets and feet were the most difficult parts. Everything else was a breeze.

[​IMG]

All's ready for when his new string arrives. Once I have him put back together, I'll dabble at drafting patterns for him and, hopefully before my birthday in May, see about commissioning face art/mani/pedi. He'll be fresh and new!

#823 Nissa, Feb 5, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    4. I wish I could have been helpful to you but I have never even seen a male Mecha Angel so had no clue about that part but it seems you have it all sorted now. Very organised! It will be so cool to revive him as if he is new all over again. I am so impressed!! Thanks for the inspiration! I will need to experiment with one of my yellowed girls :)

5. @Nissa Wow, the result looks fantastic! That's a lovely skin tone. Noticed my Sabik seems pretty yellow lately, but I don't think I'll change him. x3

And I know I'm no help now, but I'd say gluing that "floating chest piece" was a good call. I don't think that piece moves in my Sabik (I've never noticed it to, and never restrung him).

Looking forward to how your guy turns out. :3 I really should share photos of mine here sometime, but I'm not on the computer much at the moment. Maybe when his new wigs come in. :3
      (Edit: changed my profile pic, which so happens to now be my Sabik.) <3

#825 *NatTheCat*, Feb 7, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    6. Marcus and Bart look cool together :3
      (What years were they made? Bart’s so pink!)

7. I love that you took them outdoors for this photo shoot!

8. Me too, they look great!

I'm on a bit of a mission (casual mission, haha). I'm curious about Sabik's original face-up art from Soom, on each of his incarnations. I might use one for inspiration for when I send my boy for his art ('might' being key).

Anyway, is there a list of the different Sabiks out there?

9. lol I had to go consult my profile. :sweat

Marcus was made in 2007, and I got him second hand from the marketplace in 2009 with our tax refund that year.
      Bart came directly from Soom and I ordered him about a split second after he was released in 2012.

I almost always take the dolls outside for photoshoots because the lighting inside is hopeless for photos. Plus it gets my lazy butt outside. ;)
      My husband is into ham radio stuff, and they have a thing called Parks On The Air, where you take your rig out to a state park and spend all day trying to get as many unique contacts as you can from all over the world.
      So he does that, and I take dolls with me and hit the trails if they have them and try to get a few good dolly shots. I've been trying to take the dolls that have few to no photos yet. Sadly, these two armfulls haven't had many photos! Probably because they do require a bit of wrangling.

10. Neat, thanks for the info!

Also, that is kinda awesome that you can both go and just have your own fun. :3
      Outdoor lighting is definitely the best - and the lake behind your guys is really neat.

(Meanwhile, I dragged myself outside through snow for Sabik’s photoshoot when it was maybe 10 degrees and I nearly froze, lol.)

11. I believe there's three: the default look, Cyborg, and Angel.
      (Mine is default, but I did add some watercolor pencil on top of his painted brows. I added blushing to his ears, lips, and nostrils as well.)

#832 *NatTheCat*, Feb 9, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    12. Nice shot! I think I have braved the snow for a doll photo, all of... once. lol
      I think my Sabik has the default.

13. Thanks! :3 I don't normally brave the weather, but that time I did. x3

14. Happily, my Mecha Angel Sabik is now fully restrung! Here he is, post unstringing, dyeing, re-stringing, his eyes, and finally finding a wig he and I both like oof~

[​IMG]

I watched a handful of restringing videos but they all seemed to feature setting a knot in the string and then stringing the doll. I tried this method, but it ended up wasting some of my string, which was dear when you consider his 80cm size. So, I thought about it for a while, and figured out how to string him without fixing the knots in advance. This allowed my partner and I to tighten his string tension just how we liked before setting the knots, so now he's very snug and doesn't drape around. He stands as well as my Dika Doll Chengxun!

Now I can order him some clothes and hopefully snag an April slot for his faceup, hands, and feet! <3

15. Huzzah! He looks squeaky clean and ready to go!
      I like that wig. I hope to see lotsa photos.

16. Oooo congratulations, he and your work are amazing! I would love to find out your restringing trick—I have my own draping MA Sabik flung out on his shelf

17. So, a method used in the Volks SD16 and Graffiti girls is to fasten the elastic with a zip tie instead of a knot. The reason for that is so you can change the length and tension of the elastic when you swap between the heel and flat legs. The nice thing is that it also allows you to tighten them as needed.

I've considered using this method in other dolls for that reason, but have never gotten around to it. Something worth a try?

18. It sure is! Thanks much