1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

General Question about Gifts from Others

Oct 26, 2010

1. What things really make you angry when people give them to you and what sorts of things would you NOT want to receive?
      Angry? Well... no. I can't think of a gift that would make me outright angry. I'm a pretty laid back type of person, and I "make do" quite well. Usually I can find a way to incorporate any gifts into my doll collection, and if I can't, I'll sell it or store it for another doll. I have eclectic tastes, at best, and a doll with a different style is always turning up, quite by accident, of course (marketplace, I'm looking at you!), on the doorstep.

I would feel awkward with, say, lacy lingerie sets, especially with my tinies. And I'm not a big fan of Japanese/Asian clothes or anything feminine on my boy, so gifts along those lines would put me off a bit. But in general, I'm easy going about gifts.

What sorts of gifts make you happy doll owners?
      Just about anything, really. I have radically different dolls with different styles, and can find a use for just about anything. I like the look of a lot of homemade stuff, and rarely buy mass-produced company stock. I feel that my dolls are dressed and styled well, regardless of the source of the clothes. So, homemade stuff doesn't bother me in the least. ^^ In fact, I prefer it.

2. The only thing I can think of is my swap experience. I put a lot of effort into planning and making an outfit with many pieces for a doll after the owner said they weren't bonding. Then what I got in return was a bunch of cheap trinkets that had nothing to do with the spirit of the swap. It wasn't an outfit at all though the card said it was included, it wasn't in the box.

That made me angry, because I waited for a month after the swap was over for it, and she had seemed so nice, but was suddenly disappeared with no replies. When she finally returned she said it was for health reasons. I have multiple health issues, but I still manage to PM just fine.

That would make me angry. It did make me angry. Not because of what I recieved, but because being sick myself, she tried to use that as a crutch. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Being resourceful, I did manage to use the things with the other dolls I have in the house, so I'm pretty open to anything I recieve. I don't mind recieving anything so long as it's not offensive.

Things that make me happy are things I wouldn't expect. I like random things. I got a sculpy bird that is perfect as my Stephen's pet. My mom bought me a mini address book that's from a looooong time ago (it has a phone number of 7-0005 or something in it, back when they had SWITCHBOARDS) that change the pages with the slider on the front and it's perfect for Fidelis. She bought it for my dolls especially on one of our antique outings. Things like that are what make me happy. Because you can't get that stuff these days.

3. I would be angry if I get some low-quality gifts. (Yes... I am a very tetchy person xD)
      It is okay, if it won`t fit to my characters. I sell gifts that wont fit ^^.

4. Same here. There are some gifts that would please me more than others*, but finding gifts offensive or being made angry by them? I'm having a hard time imagining that scene.

*EXAMPLE: My mom has given me many porcelain dolls over the years (she seems to think the fact that I collect ABJD means I'll want ALL dolls), which I've either disassembled to scavenge parts from, or which I've given away to others, While I always appreciate getting them, I don't necessarily appreciate the gifts themselves as much as I suspect she thinks I do. She tends to make a big presentation about it, but I appreciate it because she's showing an interest in my hobby and trying to support it. And then last weekend when I was at their house for the annual family Halloween party, she unexpectedly whipped out a little tiny doll blanket and said, "Oh, I thought you might want this, I made it for your great grandmother to display with her dolls, and now that she's gone my mom gave it back to me," in this totally offhanded way, and I was THRILLED because of the sentimental value of it. (Plus, it's a really cute little quilt, and totally suits one of my girls.)

5. Awww! I like to put my heart into gifts that I give others but often times that can be a double edged sword. Most of the time it's not really liked by the other person... so I kind of feel stupid since I lack the skills to make something professional. I'd feel really bad if it was gifted to someone else.

6. Oh no! Well I certainly hope this isn't the case with me. I'll make some more stuff for her incase she wants to get rid of it or throw it away. Maybe I should give her money if she wants to send it back?

7. Hmmm what if someone were to make a total set of clothes for your doll but their craft isn't on the level of a professional? I think at this point I should keep what I've done and try for something smaller and simplier. I don't think it'll be as loved as something bought at this point. And the curses and threatening my sewing machine won't be worth it if they're just going to give it away. I hope they keep the Mickey Ears at least.

8. Thank you very much for that input! It really made me want to crack down on myself last night and get making the dress I wanted to make for someone. I hope that my partner is much like you!

9. I'm hoping that it doesn't fall appart. I've sewn over it a few times to make sure that it survives any tugs when pulling it on but I still worry that it won't be loved.

10. That's really great to hear! This really puts me into the gift giving mood. I can't wait until I finish it up! I want to be sure that it's loved and I know that some ABJD owners can be very picky about what clothing their doll wears (like I am)

11. I'm mostly worried that if it's a certain color as well as it not looking like something that a professional would make. I wish I was, but alas, all I can do is put my heart into it. Maybe I can make a few things out of Polyclay to make up for the awful sewing?

12. I do like to get sentimental at times. I really hope that what I finish sewing is loved.

13. WHOA! That's actually really great advice! And here I was making this huge dress LOL! I get a little ahead of myself but I hope that the hoodie is loved at least! Lots of hard work went into that one.

14. I'm really hoping that the things I'm making is just as loved as the heart behind a knitted sweater. I agree too, knitted items are very sentimental. Even if my doll never wears sweaters, I'd put it on him because there was love made behind that sweater.

15. LOL! Well... seeming as though they're little girls, I don't think I'd work hard cursing at my sewing machine to make lingere. I think if I were to do that I'd have the cops over at my house lickity split.

16. I never thought of that! That's actually a really good idea. I think I'll practice faceups on some old dolls. Thank you!

17. This is very true. I keep this in mind when I sew for other people as gifts. This is a gift from me to another little person. When I send gifts it's usually from my own two hands. I believe that the spirit of Giving is multiplied when you send out gifts you've made to people. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy when you unwrap them and think... "this was made for me"

18. That's good to know! So far generally people are pleased with gifts they receive from other people. Regardless of whether or not their dolls wear "this" or "that" as long as they don't cross genders it's alright, right? I think I'm ok... but I'm a natural worrier.

19. I would be ecstatic if someone made something for me. I think I'd be so happy I'd cry. I believe that gifts that are made are from the heart and if someone took the time to think of me then those gifts mean so much more. I hope that the majority thinks this way, or the person I'm making the gift for feels this way too. It's harder when it's a secret santa and you don't really know them well enough.

20. I certainly hope it's the same way for me! Aww! I'm glad you think that way and your friend is pretty awesome. I'm always trying to sew things for my friend's doll. I just like making little shirts and things for him. Even though I know that he may never wear them.