1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of the MSD?

Sep 4, 2005

1. I love the larger size dolls . . . SD13s and the Dollshe Hounds. They are wonderful, detailed and big. And fun to dress and pose and photograph.

And then I started looking at the variety of dolls out there and realized I loved different sizes . . . so my goal is to have atleast one MSD (maybe two) . . . my Soah will need a baby sister, and I love the Petite Ais alot and I like the little Rainman Elf Bong . . . ever since I saw 'tinybear's' Hound holding a tiny fairy Bong in the palm of his hands. It was so cool and so incredible!!!

So I love the variety of sizes and I go for the face mold and look of the doll and not who the manufacturer is or how much it is. My biggest frustration is not getting dolls that I love because they are sold out. I hate alot of the prices on the secondary doll market. *sighs*

So . . . VARIETY is the SPICE of life for me!! :grin:

2. Dollmore Dean was my first BJD and he remains my only larger sized doll.
      I found that although I love my Kumiko (Dean), I bonded even more so with my first MSD, a DoD Tender Zen and my BJD family has since grown to 6 strong (5 of which are minis from various companies).
      I think the reason why I got so attached to the little guys is because I was able to drag them to work and along for rides in the car at night so I didn't feel so lonely. I often feel odd saying so, but my little guys have become the children I never had. I adore each of them for their uniqueness and don't think I could part with any of them anytime soon.
      One of my boys I purchased with the soul intent of giving him a re-paint and a new outfit and selling him before any bonding came about. Now he has an interested party and I am really going to miss him when he is gone.
      I debated selling my Kumiko (dean) in order to justify getting a Volks SD boy, but I am still so torn. I honestly think the house would feel empty without him.

I think that a lot of people opt for the minis as their first dolls because of price, but I have found that I will still keep wanting more little guys even though cost is no longer a factor.

3. Well, as much as I love Nai, I know a time's gonna come when he goes. I love him, but he just kind of sits there. Love him, hate his size. He's simultaneously too small and too big - I can't just stick him into my backpack, and I can't hold him comfortably the way I can my larger dolls. I guess Kid Delfs also have kind of wonky bodies, or maybe he's just strung even worse than Lutz is, but I HATE the way his body poses. Lutz may fight me before I get him to stand, but he just seems to be so much more mobile. AR Fair girls don't have the best posability and body sculpt, but even the new girl poses better than Nai does, and I strung her myself. >_X;;;

See, not to offend anyone, but most BJD owners seem to be tiny little 5'4ish teenage girls or 5'8ish adults. I'm 6'3. I'm huge. Nai is just... Tiny on me. He doesn't fit against me right anywhere. Lutz or Elly or the new girl or Ephram if he had a body are just the right size to stash in the crook of an arm and have a nice comforting solid weight. Nai doesn't fit like that, and feels as fragile and delicate as air. >_< And he again is too big to just stash somewhere in my bag.

Oddly I think I could handle a tiny. Slip it into a pocket and take it with me or stuff it into a side pocket somewhere.

But yes, I have every intention in the world of someday upgrading Nai to a SD-sized doll and selling his current incarnation. It's simply not fair to HIM if I don't. Otherwise he just kind of sits there doing nothing, owning nothing and being nothing. I've got a doll in mind already that would be perfect, he just needs pointy ears(CP Yder, who looks like a grown-up Ani to me). So he'll grow up into a body where he'll be a size where I'll actually do stuff with him, and the shell will go to someone who'll bring it to life as a new character and love it exactly the way it is.

4. At least in some cases that I have seen, the doll-character is just growing up in a literal, as well as a figurative, sense.
      Y'know, you hit puberty, all sorts of weird stuff happens to your body, including sudden height.

So the smaller doll that was perfect for the younger incarnation of the character doesn't fit the older version, and, oh look, That tall doll looks just like X, the character, only older as s/he is now.
      The switch isn't done lightly, that I've ever seen.

Ann in CT

5. I'm one of those who prefer MSD-sized dolls... or more likely DOD dolls, I'm not that interested in other company's MSD-sized dolls (I mean they are cute, but they just aren't for me). xD;;

And SD-sized dolls... I don't know... I haven't found a sculpt that I'd die for. Exept Volks' School Head A. But I'm attracted to Luts' Shiwoo and Soony and to Volks' Kun and Anais... But I don't know if I'm going to buy them. And If DOD makes SD-sized dolls... it's really going to be a tough choice. =/

So yeah, mostly my family will be MSD-sized DODs... I really love them, especially my Umi and I could never give him up (I think I would be devastated if something happened to him ;__; ). <3

6. Aww, I'm a 4 '11 19 year old. I preffer MSD, SD are just way too big. I guess I have the opposite problem. I would never dream about selling off my MSD for an SD, SD just don't appeal to me, some facemolds may be gorgeous but it's not for me.

7. I understand people who wants big doll. Sewing for msd is really hard ^^" And the other point is about mature body. DoD are teenagers but others mini are childs.

But I can't understand 'upgrading' a doll that you love for mounth or years... When you buy a mini, you KNOW that she looks young and that she just be 40-45cm tall.

I have a personnal opinion, but it's maybe totally false. I think that there is a sort of "fashion" of biggest and more expansive stuff.

8. I think part of it is about making a group/family fit.
      As soon as I got my first- a mini- I decided I would not get a big one because to me, he would look very out of place. I am also likly to keep in the AR family for the same reason of them looking like they fit together- to me that is very important, to other's it isn't at all.
      So why some people "upgrade" i think may be becuase they find a larger doll to fit another character that is a larger size. If that mold draws thme enoug and the mini they have of the same group does, a switch over it needed. (i belive somone above mentioned doing this)
      It's differten thoug, I think, to sell of a mini and not replace it's personality with that of a larger one.
      I know I could never sell of my boys to get a different(personality) larger one, becuase I would just feel guilty every time I looked at it. "Upgrading" to a larger size? I had breifly thought about it before getting my second mini, but there molds fit them to well to change. I think it depends on the person- and if the mold holds the personality or if it is movable.

I do also though prefer the mini size, so I may be a bit biased.

9. Hello:

My name is Anna and I have been reading this forum for a few months but today I decided to join. I'm a new owner of a MSD. I had wanted a BJD for a very long time but it was always too expensive. Two months ago I was able to purchase a previously owned Hisui, which I love. I agree with so many who have previously posted. If the previous owner had not wanted to part with her, I would never have had the opportunity to own her, as Volks (the website) is always in some stage of "Sold Out"... also as others have mentioned, never having seen a BJD, Hisui gave me the chance to see for myself what so many people have been saying is so wonderful about these dolls. Now of course, I want a 60cm SD (never having seen one in person). There was an outfit on e-bay which I adored which fits the 60cm dolls. I purchased it knowing that this year I am saving up for a larger SD.
      I will not part with my Hisui because she reflects a part of my precocious personality, but likewise I know that when I decide on a SD she too will have an aspect to her personality, different from Hisui, which I will love.

I am so glad to join you all and hope to learn as much as I can. :daisy
      Thank you,

Anna M.

10. I don't think of people trading MSDs in for SDs in such a negative way. I think alot of people are attached to their MSDs, so obviously they don't feel the same as someone who has lost their bond with MSDs.

I plan to have MSDs and SDs. I want a menagerie of various sizes, all for their own pros and cons.

11. I actually did kind-of the reverse. I didn't upgrade or downgrade or any of that ... I don't really believe in that (although I understand why some people "upgrade").

I started out with SD-sized dolls, but didn't bond with them as well as I do my MSD's. I have sold my SD-sized dolls, and kept my MSD's. I really love the height, weight, and posability of MSD-sized dolls.

12. I am still waiting for my first doll Tsubasa, it's a DOD Wi [F].
      I have wanted a dollfie since I first saw one on Tokyo in Januray 2003 (it took me a while to actually get one though... have other money-eating intrests too ^^; ).
      That dollife was a bigger one. And I have been into VOLKS' shops in Tokyo and seen different sizes and all. But even then I felt like I prefered the smaller ones.

And then when I decided to buy one I looked around at different sites to find the perfect doll for me.... The second I saw Wi I knew that was MY doll! ^_^
      Sure he is "only" 45 cm, but he doesn't look like a kid at all!
      He looks rather mature and is really aristocratic looking! :grin:

So for me a smaller doll was the right choice for my first doll.
      But then when I want to buy another one to keep Tsubasa company I don't know if it will be big or small, just as long as I like the face mold. I think it is rather cute to have one shorter and one bigger actually! :chibi *tihi*
      But it might as well be another small, you never know! ^_^

And I don't think I will ever sell my Wi, because I feel like I have already bonded with him without even meeting him... haha maybe that is just silly... ^_^;
      But I do understand people that sell their dolls if they just don't feel that they are right for them, or they stopped playing with them. It's better that they get to go to someone else that will play and love them like they deserve! ^____^ V

13. I started out big with an SD sized doll, a few months later I ordered my DOD, and now I'm actually selling my Delf, my first doll, because my *MINI* is not getting along well with him. I'm getting another SD sized, a girl this time, probably AES or Lishe ^^ I personally prefer having a bit of both.. And.. well, I wouldn't be able to afford two SD sized dolls, and two Minis just seems boring. Also, my choice of size for a doll is all about the character for me. Toshi and my new girl are both adults, therefore SD-sized, while Nemo has the body of a child and is a mini.. That's it. Tho finding clothes for both sizes is a pain ^^;;

14. Lol it's so funny I was just about to post about this. A lot of people make the price accusation. But I have to say, I have a certain method of choosing my dolls. When I see a doll, I make a certain..connection with it. I've had "full-sized" dolls on my wishlist before, but I always loose interest in them. I just seem to be drawn to minis. Personally, I'm a fickle person, but I know I'd never give up my kids for any big doll. And who says they're minis anyways? As Chibi Kitsune pointed out when we were talking tonight, maybe the 60cm are just oversized! :grin:

15. People sell their dolls because of bonding issues more or less. They aren't that bonded to them if they want a new doll. At the beginning of the Too and Bee set, they were cheap and a lot of people wanted them for that. Some are selling them because they choose merely for price. Some aren't, and that's great that they bonded. Others just genuinly loved them.

I sold my first, a tiny. I wasn't as fond of her mold. Second, a Yomo, I wanted all Volks and I want a Yuki too. Third I have is Abacus, a SD10 Anais boy. My brooding angel whom I love and adore. So the people that like larger sizes don't like their dolls as much? I love his size, and I'd never let him go. I want a MSD size too, a Tsubaki girl. In the far away future.

I was bonded with my Yomo, but things change. People change. People become smitten with a certain type. My Yomo is not mine anymore, she's enroute to a new owner who will love and spoil her. That makes me very happy.

There are a lot of advantages to having large sizes. There's more to hold and cuddle. It's easier to find clothes. I like the headmolds more, they're more mature. They don't look like little siblings dressing up in their big sister's or brother's big kid clothes.

Many view their dolls as little humans. Humans grow up, and a 10 year old body look isn't something that people want their 20 year old dolls running around in.

It sounds like you're acting indignant because people are selling a type of doll you're more particular to to be frankly. Why does it matter if they like SD sizes and sell their dolls to get there?

MSD sizes have been around for a while, and they aren't going anywhere. There's no worldwide conspiricy to throw away their MSD. People can love both, but only have one.

And there's been 2 threads on updating. One was locked. Why does it matter to you what other's do to their dolls, as long as they're happy: to each their own.

16. I don't always tend to think of them as children, in fact there are times when they can look quite mature. Tara always has a surprise for me... And I like the idea of them being 'frozen in time' so to speak.

We're not attacking anyone who changes their mind about their dolls, or at least I know I don't mean to. My friend loves her big dolls and says minis just aren't for her. We're just different. I think this post is more about wondering if one will always stay bonded with their smaller dolls, or if maybe they should think of getting bigger ones to start with. It's just a discussion, I don't think she was indignant about anything. I didn't bond with Jeong, and it had nothing to do with the size. I just went for a doll that matched the character rather than choosing a doll mold I really liked. I learned from my mistake, and now Jeong has a new home where I'm sure she'll be loved much more.

17. Yep yep, this discussion isn't meant to offend anyone ^^;
      I can understand that if someone doesn't bond with their dolls, be it a mini or an SD, that they sell them, it's probably the best thing to do.
      But for once I was just wondering why minis are more often the dolls to be sent away, and why they aren't seen as 'real' dolls, and well, also why especially those people who first say they bonded so much with their mini then suddenly 'upgrade' them.
      It's really nothing against anybody O_o;

18. I don't ever recall seeing anyone saying they don't see a mini-sized doll as a 'real' BJD...? If you want to point me towards that statement, I'll happily eat my words :daisy But as it's been said before (and will no doubt be said again), don't let what anyone else is doing/saying get to you; so long as you love your dolls, no matter what their size, who cares what someone else is doing? If they want to 'upgrade' (reincarnate, whatever term you prefer) their doll/character/etc from a child-like body to a more adult body, more power to them. If they want to keep only minis, good for them too :daisy

(on a personal note, I think the mini is the more challenging size to own- harder to find good shoes and nice clothes. They're also not always cheaper as I could've bought a brand new SD13 with what I paid for my Hewitt second-hand. Don't regret getting my little guy for a moment though! :grin: )

19. Come on guys... I doubt the intention of the post was to say: "It is wrong to have SD dolls" or something like that... I guess she just got curious about how many people sell their msds for problems with bonding or lost bonding... I think she got worried so asked this, so she could see if it happens with everyone or something like that...
      I think we just misunderstood each other ^^'
      I'm sorry if I sounded the wrong way and I ask sorry if anyone here did ^^'

Kisses

Cacau

20. I Have sd msd and tinies and while i do like the bigger ones and will have more of them. The msd and tiny that i do have and that fit in my story i love just the same as my tall dolls. If you put as much effort into your smaller dolls as the bigger ones Im sure u can love them all equal ^o^