1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of the MSD?

Sep 4, 2005

1. I actually sold my SD boy after I got my MSD girl. I prefer MSD since its easier to carry around but not so small it can't be sewn for. I can see people going the other way too if they buy a doll because its small and less expensive but down the line want to upgrade to a larger more mature looking doll for the character.

2. Ooo, old thread! xD

IMHO one reason people "upgrade" their minis or sell them to get bigger dolls instead has to do with the sculpts available in each size. Minis tend to look younger so unfortunately it makes more sense to get bigger dolls if you want olde characters! And it is far more difficult to get a big height diffence between minis, in my experience. So I can see how someone who bought, say, a DoC, realizes that it's just not going to work when they want to bring home his sister who's supposed to be a tiny little whisp of a girl.

'Tis quite sad, if you ask me, since I LOVE mini size dolls yet can rarely seem to find what I want in that size. And yes I did sell a mini girl of mine for that reason. That was at least 3 years ago, and after a failed attempt at making her as an SD I am now once again checking around to see if I can re-shell her as a mini. So far I'm not having much luck, due to the lack of tall, mature mini boys. :( You'd think 3 years would have been enough time for the doll makers to expand their mini offerings! xD

3. I like the "easy to carry" part of it. I have a mini and two tinies, I am finding my tinies are getting more attentions right now because they are so easy to carry around!...

Though, I wanted an SD size doll in the beginning simply because there seems to be more choices... and originally I had a mature character in mind. And they have more clothes and wig and shoes...
      But after seeing one in person, while awed by their beauty, I am not sure I'll be taking them around as much....

4. I find I like SD sizes more - sewing is waaay much more easier for them and me.)

i'm actually trying to rehome the floating heads i have since i'll never complete them anyway.

but the only two msds i'm keeping are Karst(Ttori) and Ginny(Asha) since those two were hardest to get during my Dolly journeys!
      :XD

5. I thought about selling my two MSD sized dolls when I first got them. Although I knew the size they were I'd built them up so much in my mind before their arrival that I thought they would be much taller and was disappointed to see how "small" they were when they arrived. It took me a little time to work out why I felt disappointed in them and to bond, although I eventually did.

It probably wasn't helped by having seen a 70cm boy before my dolls arrived that I fell instantly in love with and a MSD I had been considering that to me just didn't look as good in person as she did in company photos.

All of that said once I got over my "I thought they would be bigger" I really started to bond with my MSDs and they are the ones that come with me most often.

6. I worry about this too- wanting SD vs. MSD.

Right now I'm really into msd because I don't think I can handle a bigger doll, something about holding them makes me nervous. Also, I'm head over heels in love with Dollzone msd molds more than anything, despite all my surfing around for different brands/sizes. And naturally price plays a role, I have in my head I could collect more dolls if I stick with msd. But mostly I like their childish or cartoon aspect, SD's can look like little real people and that's kind of scary!

But sometimes I do see a SD that looks really nice and I think 'darn... I don't think I'll ever be able to get one of those...' or that someday I will buy one and I do fear having two different sizes will irk me. But whatever happens I just don't see how I could ever get rid of any doll once I own it, unless I never bonded with it but I mean, I pine over a doll long before I can buy it so even that's doubtful.

7. Sorry, but SD is too big for me! I don't feel like my tinies and Yo's are any less of a BJD becuase of their size: to me it just makes them more fun! I've had an MSD but sold her for now, as she's not portable and therefore not practical for my next year. I may rebuy her, I may not: depends on how much the tinies take over!

8. I actually upgraded a doll's character from SD to MSD. I don't see one as greater or lesser just different. Lehst, you are right to be worried, it's a slippery slope going to a different size. With the same size you can mix and match with clothes and stuff much easier.
      On the other hand with different sizes it'll always fit somebody. Or some body.

9. oh my I didn't think of that... but i'm sure i'm too cheap to buy many clothes anyways (I keep trying to find time to try out sewing some...) I'm more concerned with having the dolls "be friends" with each other, so sticking to the same scale would make more sense. but yeah, that's a good point, mixing and matching would be easier.

10. Ugh! I could never get rid of my Adelheid!

Yes, even though I've only had her for a few months, she's my first doll whether or not I ever get any in the future. She's the doll I take with me everywhere and I don't see myself ever taking preference for another doll. In fact, as I consider other dolls, I make sure that I won't buy ones that I think I'll like better.

The concept baffles me as well. I mean, it would make sense if someone bought a few but never really bonded with them, but when it's a doll you've had for a long time? Sadness.

One reason why I know I'll always like MSDs: I liked the size of SD's better at first but bought an MSD because of the mold. As time passed I loved how small she was because I can really bring her everywhere and she's small enough to not command attention. Also! She fits perfectly in my hand. I have tiny hands and this effects a bunch of things I do. Piano? Nope, my fingers can't even stretch seven keys. Photography limited me to buying only a certain SLR model because of it's small size. So you can see, I already make certain alterations to (or giving up) other hobbies and SD's just wouldn't be practical for me to carry around.

11. I started with SD 10 and SD 13, then MSD, Chibis and now I like MSD and Chibis better. Easier to take along and they take up less room. I like the more matures minis now, Narae over MSD. I won't trade up or down, I think its great to have a variety of sizes because I can switch over when I feel like it. Sometimes I have a lot of ideas for the mini ones and sometimes I want to play with the big ones.

12. My first doll was large, my second and third minis. I hold a greater preference for mini dolls as they are much easier for a twig like me to carry. I don't understand the concepts of 'upgrading' minis. You couldn't call any of my minis immature or teenage, they are most definately adults and it is blatantly obvious. I take the full range of sizes in my dolls though, from the 11cm puki up to my planned 71cm dollmore model with every size inbetween. I have a friend who is 'downgrading' as it were, not getting rid of her large dolls but instead considering a lot more minis. Power to the mini dolls

13. I'm working the opposite way, I started off with SDs, got larger, now I'm buying Littlefees and MSDs. I like them all although I used to only like SDs. There's a lot of pluses to the smaller dolls, particularly after you've had large ones and carted them to a couple of meet-ups. Clothes are cheaper. I was able to get barbie clothes to fit my Littlefee which thrilled me. $3 clothing - yippee!!! Shoes are cheaper and I can make wigs fairly inexpensively. I love my tinies now. I don't think they're that much different in price to the SDs really. By the time you add face-up and shipping etc, the tinies are still quite expensive. The main difference for me is that when I first looked, I couldn't find MSDs that I liked. I prefer more realistic sculpts and tinies were more anime. Now there's a huge range and I find I like the posability of the smaller dolls (I call them tinies because when you own 80cm & 70cm dolls, they really are). I don't think there's any viewpoint of them as cheaper or lesser now. There will probably always be people that want to start with a 'cheaper' doll to see if they like BJDs and will buy the smaller dolls for that reason. People buy the chinese dolls for that reason as well. It can be a lot of money to lay out all at once on an unknown item. Not everyone has access to a doll meet or doll store nearby.

14. I have 4 MSD's now, and soon I'll get my first SD. I also have a puki and I think all sizes have pro's and cons.
      I can carry 4 MSD's on my arms (with some help from other people lol and 2 without help) and probably only 1 SD (I'm scared of dropping such a large doll D: ).
      Also, there's storage space, money issues (larger dolls mean more expenses for pretty much everything) and just personal preference.
      I wouldve liked my SD to be in MSD size, but i just love her mold too much to let her slide because of her size.

15. I think a lot of people get minis because they're less expensive, but they really want a more mature doll and eventually get a larger doll instead because there's a wider variety of mature sculpts in the 60cm range.

I started with a mini, later got a 60cm doll, and wound up selling the 60cm doll and now have minis and tinies. *shrug* If I decided to try and do character dolls again I'd probably do them as bigger dolls because they fit with the options I want, but I'm happy with my minis at this point.

16. I don't have a lot of room, but I find tinies tend to disappear to me... so MSD is my favorite size. They handle well and are substantial without being awkward, heavy or intimidating, as some of the biggest are to me.

Funny, but people often say the "minis look too young" but my MSD Mika's proportions are pretty much the same as an SD10's. Her head seems too small to me and though I want her character to be a kid she looks like a teen to me. Oh well!

Raven

17. Yea, as most have, i started with an MSD and love him to death. I didn't want to get a tiny becuase they are small like other dolls and i didn't want to get a huge one and go crazy so because of that (and financial reasons i found my dream doll in the MSDs) looking through the dolls for a little MSD girl for my dude i came across the perfect doll but it was an SD. now i wanted a romantic partner for him but this doll (one of the Supia smiling girls) was PERFECT FOR ME!!! if she was only an MSD. i know i want to get her eventually but i found the perfect girl for him (ninodoll Woo. U.) who looks delightfully insane and strange and way farther down the line i will most likely get my supia sd. but its just preference. i don't want to get too many so msd is the way i'm going but i would like to get one big one and i'm happy with having mostly little ones.

18. I really prefer the MSD size, it's 1/4 and makes it easier when pattern making for them. However I find that most of the dolls on my interest list are SD's and it makes me amazingly sad, because they intimidate me through size, weight and monetarily.

19. Honestly, I sold out all my minis. I bonded way better to my big dolls and jsut didn't have time to take care of little ones.

I don't think, for me at least, it was a matter of 'upgrading' or thinking of SD-sized dolls being more superior than minis. Minis have good qualities: they are often easier and ussually less expensive to dress, they are more travel friendly, and cheaper. They are also 90% of the time more child like. And for me, that's probably why I had so much trouble bonding to mine.

I just like adult dolls. For me, there is more to work with. Though maybe one day, I will add minis to my collection again (I've always been in love with DOC Si.).

20. SD size is just too big for me... :( I find many of their sculpts really pretty, but their size makes me go "Nope, I don't think so". I love my tiny (she doesn't seem small to me) and I'm waiting on a mini (which actually seems big). I have to agree with all the others who feel more comfortable with mini and tiny sizes :) And I don't have any problems sewing for my tiny because of her size (if anything it is more by lack of skills...). I find it almost easier to sew for my pullips dolls which are even smaller than my tiny!