1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of the MSD?

Sep 4, 2005

1. i cant belive anyone would think of gettig rid of a doll( unless it was pure evil), cuz your doll(or dolls are) is kinda like a memory. i wouldst ever think of giving mine away.
      anywayz, i like themsd size. more portable.

2. Now, now.

I think that's a tad harsh. People have all sorts of good reasons to sell thier dolls. It doesn't make them any less good or bad, no matter what that reason actually is. If it happens to be because they want to make room for a bigger or smaller doll, then couldn't it even be a good thing? If a person spends three hundred dollars on an NSD and just neglects him or her in favour of thier larger dolls, it would be much better if that same person could sell the doll to someone who could enjoy the MSD more than they ever could, -and- get a doll size they actually like in the process. It ends up working out for everyone. even the doll might be happier, with someone paying more attention to it! ;)

And as for memories, aren't those supposed to be best when shared? :)

3. I do not see though what it is in minis that makes people think they look childish. What have I got here...minifee b-line ruth, angel of dream you, dollzone fei, resinsoul an, resinsoul song and angel of dream min. I cannot see in any way how you can consider them to be childish. The body sculpts are not immature. Young adult or really needing more food in the case of resinsoul, the minifee b-line I'm sure can be interpreted as young or just as slim (I only see it as young when placed with the shiwoo sculpt). The Dollzone one (old body) just looks like a guy who needs to pull a few more weights for muscle tone, angel of dream...wow, the muscles on them would hardly make anyone think they are kids I would hope. The facial sculpts too, kiddy for me means something more chubby (like my chubby cheeked angel of dream tiny), where the head is larger in proportion to the body and the body generally chunkier.
      Of course, interpret things however you will, I just cannot see child or teenager in my minis or most minis (except a minifee b-line shiwoo or an immature sculpt like female bobobie sprites)

4. My doll purchasing went: 28cm, 43cm, 68cm. I did really have the feeling that minis were somehow second-best, and I really craved a big doll and thought I'd never have one - I was actually afraid that 60cm would be disappointingly small. And oh, I love my big reinsoul girl - I think she's in an unassialable position as my favourite bjd ever. I love having a really big one. I really, really wanted one.

Now I have really tiny ones on order, because I also craved the other side of the scale.

But I find most of the dolls I am looking at now are in the 40-45 cm range, or the 1/6 proportion ones. Maybe my big-doll-want is filled, although actually I'd love to have dolls *right* along the scale. I think there's an aspect there of the 55cm-and-up dolls being the "real" ones and the rest are compromises, that I felt and I think some others do, but mimi is really the most satisfying size for me - perhaps because it's what I think of as "doll size" in general, not the bjd or fashion doll world "doll size".

5. I've actually sort of noticed that too. It seems like everyone is more interested in the bigger dolls now. I'm drawn to them too, but since I don't have enough money (or room) for more than maybe one, I'm gonna stick to msd's. they're more affordable, and smaller, so I can have more of them!!! XD bwahahahaha

6. I like pairs of things, I have two Volks SDC dolls, I will have two Yo-sized dolls when my Soom Glot comes in and one day I hope to get a Volks Nana to join my Dollfie Dream. I like my dolls to have companions in the same scale so they can interact :) I have a multi-sized doll family and that's great.

I don't see MSD as an 'inferior' size, I think they are a really good size, but because of that I think people consider MSDs to be 'starter dolls' and once you've gotten used to an MSD perhaps you should find a more 'advanced doll'. I don't think this myself personally, but I think that's a big perception.

7. I've noticed a bit of "growing up" characters, too. Sometimes, you don't bond so much with the doll as the character you created, and when they want to grow up, you do the thing and get the bigger doll.

On top of the fact that MSDs are very much the "Middle comfort" doll. They're good for people unsure of the hobby as of yet. I think that's another reason you see them flipping so much.

I also think were they're the cheaper of the sizes, people don't take nearly as much care as they do with SDs in making sure that *is* the doll for them. For some odd reasons tinies don't seem to suffer that malady, but I think with Tinies they're so unexpensive (In general), that you tend to buy and keep even if they're not perfect for you.

Then, the dreaded already made character casts, for people like myself. I've been fighting over whether to sell my MSDs, simply because none of them are "perfect" in their mold for their characters, and there's a few SDs that are SO PERFECT for other characters. If I could find an SD that fit Akemi, I'd do it in a heart beat. Why? Because as much as I'm bonded to my curent mold for her (A BBB Mei), the only one I've found who looks the part for her hubby is a SOOM Spinel. He's perfect for Rais. And I mean PERFECT. The BBB Mei is not perfect for Akemi, it's just closest in MSD form. And I am much, MUCH more bonded to my cast than I am to any particular doll.

8. I also used to love the minis and I have a few that I still love, but at the same time, I have started switching over to the SD's. It seems like the larger dolls have more realistic faces and detailing than a lot of the smaller ones. I also used to start out buying the ones that cost less but you can't always do that once you find a sculpt that's perfect for your character.

9. All I have in resin are MSD. Only my Dollfie Dreams are Sd size and maybe that's because they don't need re-stringing and very light weight to carry around as opposed to resin SD size dolls. I find MSD sculpts cuter and easier to take care of. Naked SD dolls somewhat bother me as their limbs seem too long. I guess re-stringing and their long resin limbs specially legs are what's putting me off from getting a resin SD.
      And far as "growing ups" of my character goes, I dress the previously child character in grown up clothing and a different hair style ... LOL ... that works for me :D

10. Hmm... Right now I have 6 MSD-sized at home (plus one more, haha), and one SD13 sized. I like them both, but minis are definitely more portable. I did find doing my SD's faceup slightly easier. I think there's also a little more choice in terms of clothing, etc. with the SD size.

I would never 'upgrade' my minis for a bigger size. :)

11. Large dolls are....too large for me.. but honestly I would never just throw away an MSD like it was nothing (heck mst of the clothes cost as much as SD clothing does!) MSD's are small, but not too small and managbly portable, and I really love that about them. Bringing SD dolls to meets seems like such a hassle (especially when I have no money to buy myself a carry case).

I would consider getting an SD (If I find 'The one') but I'm always a fan of MSDs :)

12. I love MSDs. I've eight at the moment, one on the way. They're not a 'starter' for me, they're just the right size for me. All of mine are adults now and I like mature minis. They don't need to change. I don't think the size is inferior or something I got because I wasn't sure. I got them because I like the dolls and the size... I think that SD's are too big. They take up much more space than I have to be taken up. I won't buy a doll unless I know it's absolutely the doll for my character. Every doll is an investment. I've never been unsatisfied with one.
      Sometimes there's aren't any of these negative reasons to get into MSDs. Sometimes.. for some people they're just the perfect dolls at the perfect size.

13. I was obsessed with large dolls for four years now I'm finding a serious new found love of minis. After the big guys, their smaller size, ease of carrying etc. is a real breath of fresh air.

I really wish I could give up SDs altogether and just buy MSDs but alas I still love my big guys too much. My mini (soon to be minis) are equally cherished and fulfill a different role in my doll collecting but an equally important one! <3

14. Hmmm this thread was started in 2005! I think perceptions must have changed about MSD or smaller dolls...I think there may be some who buy an MSD to start with because they cost less, but I think it mostly comes down to personal preference. I started my collection with Yo-sized dolls, not because they were cheaper, but because I wanted child dolls. I just got my first MSD size last month and I don't consider her an upgrade of any kind--just a different size to enjoy...and I adore her size...I have seen SD molds I love but I just don't want to have a doll that big...It's all down to preference.

15. I also often hear the other way arround. poeple selling all their big dolls to get only MSD!
      and for the "upgrade" part, this isn't related to size. anytime someone change the mold of their character, it is because they found a better one, therefore it is an upgrade ^_^

people would get rid of their MSD doll for the same kind of reason anyone sell dolls at all: they decided they want a new face for the character, they need money, they realise the size is not convenient for them, they didn't bound or got tired of the doll, etc.

personnaly, I don't really like MSD size because it is much harder to find them good looking shoes and props! all the props are pukifee or SD size <.< and when I am sad I like to hug my dolls and SD are much better for that!

16. I think when people first get a doll it's new and exciting. They think they love their doll so much and they don't know why they didn't buy one sooner....but then the excitement wears off and they need something new for that rush again. So they sell and buy a new, bigger doll.

Me, I could never do that. I get very attached to things and my BJDs are no exception. But everyone collects differently.

17. Capistrono: you make us All sound like drug addict lol

18. I haven't been following but the topic looked interesting. I started with MSD's and love them. They fit great in my space. I do have two SDgr ( i think they call them). Just received the Nono from Volks and wow she is fantastic. But they need more space. OK i confess, I love the little ones as well. Total fan of the Rosenlied Tuesday dolls. My picture is an MSD as well from Rosenlied. So there I am again, In the middle with MSD's and happy.

19. I thought it was really interesting seeing this thread since I'm only now about to purchase my first MSD dolls. I dove into the deep end and got a 70cm for my first doll along with my wife, and since bought two more 70cms and one SD who was a spur-of-the-moment buy. I was surprised enough by the size difference between those two!

I agree with the comments about it being a rush and falling in love with something new. There's a thrill with every new doll, but getting used to a new size and its differences is so fun! I could never imagine giving up one size in favor of another, but I can see how it might happen as fancies change, or someone determined that their one or two minis don't fit in with their more adult-looking SDs.

I'm currently tossing around buying one or two MSDs with my tax returns. I'm eager to play with the new size, and to have new dolls in my little family. But I think they'll only expand the range I love, not replace or limit it. I didn't think I'd ever like the YoSD size, for example, but after falling in love with and buying my first I'm eager to bring a friend or two home to join her. I imagine it's going to be that way with MSDs, too; I still have SDs that I want and plan to buy, but this will open the door to MSDs, too.

20. Oh no!!! I would never be able to get rid of my MSDs!! >__< they are my favorites, I only have one SD and I love him to death too but I care more about the mold/sculpt than the size and I can find beautiful clothes for both sizes so I have no problem whatsoever with them. I've had 4 SDs but only one stayed, MSDs are my favorite mold and SDz are not better than MSDs by any means. I even have tinies and pukis and they are all worthy to me, the mold is what matters after all (in my case).