1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

girlfriends and your dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. I am Yokyun's old/new girlfriend. I wasn't freaked out at all by his dolls. I have always been attracted to guys who don't fit the macho stereotype. I ruin a lot of stereotypes too--how many 50-year old women are into science fiction and heavy metal?

Also, look at how many guys had GI Joes as kids. Oh, wait, they're supposed to be called "action figures." I have noticed over the years that men who act macho, homophobic, etc. are hiding something.

Why would somebody not want their partner to be into the same hobby???

I have noticed that if somebody criticizes your hobby (dolls or anything else for that matter) there is probably something repressed about them. I always say if you want to have a boring life, worry about being normal.

2. I recently got my husband into dolls. I suppose my talking about them sparked him into wanting one (he's super nerdy and wanted to incarnate an old character into a doll). I have seen males at doll meets and I thought "neat!"... but being as it's not a "normal" hobby... I can see how people are weirded out by it.

3. Stephanie- I've also got my hubby into dolls as well! He loves Magic: The Gathering, and came with his own story about them and wanted to put the characters into doll form. It's so awesome :)

4. I'd have to get to know the guy, because it really depends on WHY he does it. If he has guys because he identifies with them, fine. If he has girls because he identifies with them, then that's a warning flag. If he has dolls because they're cool and its for art, fine. If he uses dolls to replace people, then we have a problem. If he has little kid dolls because he'll be a great father, awesome, but if he has little kid dolls because he wants to be coddled, then not awesome.

As long as the guy paid more attention to me than his dolls, and wasn't more into dolls than I was, then it's fine. But it all depends. I'd also have to watch his spending habits now too, if he was in any hobby this expensive.

5. Please forgive me for not Understanding. but how is........ "If he has girls because he identifies with them, then that's a warning flag." ......... I don't want to sound mean, I just want to better understand what you are trying to say.

6. I also found that hard to understand, it's really only a warning flag of an imagination. I'm a male and identify with many female characters in books, politicians and musicians, but I have no desire to become or act like a lady.

I think females would find me liking dolls cute or cool so long as I wasn't hanging around children's playgrounds, primary schools etc with them by myself all creepy like. I'm far more self conscious about dolls being seen as a lil' kids rather than a female hobby.

7. Although I am the doll owner of the house, my boyfriend seems to care about my dolls, which made me happy :D One day when I was at work, He made a small "apartment" for Lopin on one of our shelves and it looked amazing :D I was really crazy about it and it was one of the greatest surprises he ever gave me.
      Since then my dollies have "moved" from that "apartment" to a larger shelf since my little family has grown.
      Its such a wonderful thing to have someone to help me from feeling self conscious about the hobby. He even bought me both Lucas and Amadine for my birthday since he got a new higher paying job!! :D
      Even lately he bought me a little doll-sized bottle of vodka because he though it would look good with Lopin xD I even came home from a little doll meet-up with some of my friends where I took every doll but Lopin and he was positioned on the couch like he was sad and drunk for being left alone when I came back xD I seriously love my boyfriend more than anything xD

8. "If he has girls because he identifies with them, then that's a warning flag"

The only "warning flag" I can see there is if he actually wants to become female in real life--surgically--which of course would drastically change the relationship. There are men who like "girly" things but have no desire to actually become a girl.

I think more men should try to get in touch with their feminine side. Why should it be okay (in America, at least) for women to be interested in traditionally "masculine" activities such as sports but not okay for men to collect dolls?

9. My S.O. and I both have dolls ... now numbering 11 and 2 anthros. He has had his girl sitting with him at the table when he works guest liaison with All-con and even has the celebs pix with them and no one has said doodlie. There is no problem with him having dolls... and all his girls are "ladies". From the smallest Soom MD to the DollMore 68cm Ipsae Monahan. Lots of compliments, but not any crap.

- ShadowHawke -

10. Sorry, but I'm also a bit confused by this. Why is it a "warning flag" when a man identifies with a woman? I'm biologically female, but find it easier to identify with men. Is that a "warning flag" for me? Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you'd be fairly upset if your significant other kept an eye on your spending habits in an expensive hobby. As long as you're not at risk of wrecking your financial life, there shouldn't be any reason to watch anyone's spending habits. Perhaps you could clarify for us?

To wander back on-topic, my fiancé has confessed that there's been a couple dolls he and I have both liked that he confessed he'd buy because he liked them ... and blame on me :lol: He also likes looking at the creativity that goes into them, such as the ResinSoul Lan that was turned into a Na'vi. I don't think he'll ever get his own dolls, but if he did, I don't think I'd feel much different. Now if he decided to give up Warcraft, I'd wonder if he was replaced with a pod person...

11. My boyfriend isn't really "into" dolls, but he thinks they're cool and understands (or at least respects) my interest in them. He helped me decide who to save for as a first, so he's obviously a little interested. And I'm glad, I'd rather have him be more into the hobby than just be politely interested, or completely annoyed by them. And really, he'll happily watch magical girl shows with me, he sleeps with stuffed animals, I don't think an interest in dolls would make me like him less XD I know he likes my (eventual) girls because they're cute and he likes cute things, if he didn't it would be a lot harder to find common ground with the way I like cute stuff XD

12. I'm a guy and after I received my doll almost all the girlsfriends I know say "what a beautiful woman, she's so sweet^_^" ))
      and the guys in front refrained from comment. assuming it's not too common interest.

13. I don't understand guys that are afraid to like what most consider "feminine" hobbies. I hate it when other guys pretend they don't like something just because others think its odd... I hate it when females to that too.... Be yourself people, and allow others to be themselves!

Personally I don't see dolls as a feminine hobby anyway. I like having them around because they are like little friends. I like dressing them up because they look cute in the different clothing and hair. How is that something only girls should enjoy?

I still look really young and less masculine, so many people assume I'm a girl that dresses like a guy or more often that I'm gay. xD I don't really care what they think though, I am a strait male, but neither of those are insults so whatever. I am who I am, and strangers can think whatever they like. The people that matter think no less of me for liking BJDs.

#254 skyf, Jun 22, 2011
      Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    14. My boyfriend is starting to get into them. It's entirely my fault, of course. xD He's talking about buying ONE doll, because there's a character in a series he's reading my R. A. Salvatore that he wants to emulate as the doll. I was super excited when he wasn't freaked out by them or anything, and when he wanted to help me out with picking things out and the like. Then he said he wanted one, and asked for my help. I'm super excited! xD I think it's kind of awesome he's getting into it; ANY guy who gets into it is pretty awesome. But I'm kind of biased, aren't I? Lol

I'm also wondering what the "Warning Flag" comment from Hikari was all about. O-o

15. it doesnt phase my girlfriend much. Only the price does. XD But she likes helping me look for molds and stuff, but I don't really think it's her thing. She's more of a cosplay person.

I haven't really gotten any other comments. Some weird looks, maybe. But I also look like a girl *shrugs*

16. From what I've heard, it's not considered strange in Japan for guys to have dolls. It's also not weird for adults to carry stuffed animals.

17. My huband is not a doll collector but both of us have common grounds to talk about them and he actually encourages me to get the ones that I love. He likes to look at them though he does not buy them and I respected him very much because, he speaks out his mind on how he thinks of the dress up of the doll and their faceup n___n

18. I like how half the people posting here are female anyway (including myself) XD

I would be ecstatic if I met a guy who was also interested in BJDs. Buuuut, those are the drawbacks of living in a rural area. Maybe in the future. <3

19. I never met another guy who collected dolls (I chatted to one or two online that were saving up for one cause their gf's got them into the hobby but none who went by their own accord)
      I guess that's not as common