1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

girlfriends and your dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. The girls I know don't have an issue with me buying dolls, because they like the fact that I can express my feminine side... in fact, alot of them have requested pictures already...

So they don't mind much. However, I don't date girls...... so... I can't say I've run into a problem of a girlfriend hating it... my boyfriend, on the other hand... loves my doll interest. ^_^

2. my friends are ok with it! i dont talk alot about my hobby but they know i love bjds ^_^ ! they probibly think its strange but hey its part of what makes me, me. when i really think about it, bjd's makes a person more interesting yes?

My best friend is like "well you have your expensive hobby and i have mine(collecting any form of BL stuff)". My cousin (15 year old boy) said today "that doll right there looks like its going to come to life and kill me O.O" and when i saw who he was talking about i just laughed. It was little chinatsu.

3. I grew up in the 60's 70's ,Guys don't cry,guys don't play with dolls,guy's don't.If asked then I would say sissy...Well you get my drift.I raised 2 rough and tumble boys and a rough and tumble girl.lol...I was not a doll player nor was she.My boys had dolls as kids..My boys were told it's ok to cry..If you enjoy a hobby go for it.. My hubby is a race car loving,football kick em in the teeth type. Who loved my antique dolls for their beauty,now he loves my BJD's.He comes by and changes their pose ,when I am not looking.He playfully calls them our tramps..He has made a place on his desk for Elfdoll Ruru when she arrives..lol..Each to their own..
      Phyllis B

4. I met The girl I spend a lot of time with and have gotten very close to becase of My ABJD dolls. It almost felt like are dolls brought us together. We have alot in comin Love of dolls, Anime,manga,music, and more. I also know a couple that met becase of their love of ABJD dolls and are now Married. I don't think i have very many negitive reaction to me collecting dolls.

5. I think it's great when straight guys like dolls!

6. If I found a boy my age who liked BJD, I admit, I might jump to some conclusions... really depending on how he treated them. I don't think I could respect a guy who bought dolls with extra-large busts and dressed them up in lingerie as much as I could a man who actually made characters. And I admit, I'd probably start to fancy him a bit- it shows he's well rounded, creative and not so caught up on appearances that he'd quit a hobby just to seem more stereotypically macho. Then again, I love guys who play DnD, dress up like Mana-sama and obsess over horror movies (I've only found one man who did all three... lifechanging!) all three of which I think are interesting character facets. Why shouldn't they? It's only fair, and I'd rather have a man who loves his dolls and tabletop gaming, than a man who can't think of anything beyond Nascar and Playboy.

7. Uurgh, I wouldn't even want to speak to a guy that was into dolls let alone date one. I think that would be really weird. Also I kindof think that theres a certain personality that doll people have that transfered over to a guy, would be the most unattractive thing I could think of. No offence to any guys, its just something I'm personally weirded out by. But I'm a really vain person sometimes, now, if I could meet a girl that was into dolls then that would super awesome...just not a guy.

8. I'll be honest, I would be intrigued by a man who collected BJDs. Around these parts, you don't see that often...the typical guy is more into Nascar, basketball, and drinking til he pukes. Which, I'm all for the first two, not so much the second. If I met a guy who shared my interests, I'd be all over that!

A good male friend of mine (who happened to be gay, but that doesn't factor into this) and I used to go out to dinner then spend the rest of the evening at Toys R Us or Target, looking at the Barbie dolls and even buying one or two. We'd pay for them then race out to the car to open the boxes and play with our purchases. And yeah, we were firmly in our 30s then. It was fun, we enjoyed ourselves and were able to indulge in our love for dolls without getting weird stares.

9. Well, I'm a straight guy, and most of the girls that I'm friends with are also into BJD's, so it's really no big deal. I take my doll out in public occasionally, and while it's usually with other doll owners present, I still get quite a few strange looks. Doesn't really phase me too much, as I'm pretty secure in my sexuality.

That, and my wife doesn't mind my doll at all. She's actually made her an outfit and bought one from Dollheart. :)

10. I think guys being into bjds is great. I don't really get the whole girls' toys vs boys' toys thing, honestly. Why can't people just like what they like? Besides, having hobbies is healthy--I think it's a good sign when someone is participating in a hobby rather than just planting themselves infront of the TV.

Mimou, if you don't speak to guys who are into bjds, how do you know what their personality would be like or if you liked them or not? And since when did all bjd collectors have one kind of personality? (we're a pretty varied bunch) Trust me, sometimes it pays to give people a chance.

11. And Who said All doll collectors had to be one gender are the outher

12. I [obviously] have no problem at all with it. I mean, for one, people should have the right to do what they want, as long as it's not inappropriate or obscene or anything. Plus, it doesn't bother me one bit, there are tons of things out their that people could do that is out of the 'ordinary' that they consider it fine, and if they say something about someone else, they're a total hypocrite.
      What I say, is do what you like and don't mind anyone else. ;D
      I think it's fine for a guy to be into BJDs.
      I actually wouldn't mind having a boyfriend who's into them, and quiet soon I might possible have one, seeing I've been showing them to him and he's been getting into how they look [just not the prices. xD] and he's liked me for the past couple years.

But like what's been said it's up to the individual, and I think everyone should be accepted, or at least given a chance, also I'd LOVE to meet more guys who are into this hobby.

13. I love when I meet men who are into things like this! i know a few men on the MLP Arena (My Little Pony) who collect MLP and they are so cool they help and enjoy spending time with us chicks! And I also have come into contact with two male members here one being my friend O'kapi. They are cool we need more men in the BJD world!

14. I always thought it would be interesting to meet a guy that's into the hobby because of the fact that the ABJDs allow people to project their personalities through a very unique and unusual medium. I believe firmly that each doll is a facet of their owners' psychology; and I don't mean that if a guy has a girl doll that his inner psyche is leaning towards homosexuality. What I mean is that the individual mentioned may possibly have a side of him that likes dresses and hairstyles and other things that are considered 'girly'. Or maybe he just enjoys the aesthetic of women so much that he is entertained by a mutable model of such. I absolutely love to examine the thoughts and personalities of others, and so it would be very intriguing to me to see the BJDs of a male doll owner (even more so than it would be to see that of a female owner!). I don't have many overly artistic male friends, and so it's always interesting to me to view the art of the males that I become acquainted with, and to further understand how different people--guys made even more alien to me than other individual girls by the characteristic of their gender--express themselves. I also enjoy comparing their personalities to the aesthetic shown in the doll, to see how they relate. ^^

:sweat Reading this, it all sounds very cold and calculated. But it's something I just enjoy doing without any real conscious effort. Those are all just reasons why I would find it more intriguing to meet a male doll owner than a female one; I suppose the abundance of the latter makes the facets of its psychology less appealing to me. That and the fact that I'm a girl myself, so I don't find as much mystery in the way that girls express themselves. :sweat

15. If I met a guy that loved bjd:s I'd probably ask him to marry me :lol: I don't think there are anything strange with guys collecting dolls.

16. I'm not weirded out by it at all, in fact it would probably make me more attracted to him ^^ I'd say it's even more unattractive (for all people in general) when they're too self-conscious or narrow minded to give BJDs a chance or look down on them because they're not 'macho'. But so far, i've yet to meet a guy who's into BJDs

17. All the male BJD collectors I've met since getting into this hobby have been AWESOME.

I think, if you haven't met any in person, it might be easier to say "that's really weird". But when you talk to male BJD collectors/owners, you find out that usually the deeper reasons they're into it are the same deeper reasons most people get into it. They enjoy the customization, personal characterization, and the creativity in general. If I were forced to ask any of them out, I would do so with pleasure.

I haven't met any that I really don't like yet, which is a rarity in ANY fandom. Generally I'm always on the look out for people (not just guys) who I can stand. Having to think really hard to see if there's any that I can't is a nice and welcome suprise about this hobby.

As it is, most are so awesome they're already taken ^_~ So what does that tell you?

18. I've met 4 guys in the last few years who have BJDs~ 2 of them are even close by. I was suprised at first, but not for to long~ :3

Over all, I thought it was cool. Maybe its because I remember that Sesame Street song about the boy and his dolly and the girl and her truck? Though I never wanted a truck.. trucks cant wear frilly dresses. XD;

Anyway, if I randomly found out a guy friend of mine had a doll of any type, I'd be cool with it. Even if she had big boobs and such.

19. I'd probably think of it as like any other hobby - Most of my mates are blokes, and most of them are geeky to the point of no return. If they had a few dolls, regardless of whether they were painstakingly customised or fresh out of the box, general-audience or smutty, presentation pieces or played with constantly, they wouldn't bother me.

People's bizarre hobbies are just part of their personality - I've known lads who sleep cuddling their guitars, lads with armies of little painted miniatures on every shelf, lads whose overriding passion for rock climbing has dragged them halfway across the continent, and none of them are strange at all.

On the other hand, if I visited their house, or went out drinking with them, or sat with them in a lecture, and they brought a doll over and said "Hi, this is Lysandra, I hope you two can be friends," without any sense of it being a bit of a joke, I'd be worried. But that's not a gender thing, I'd be worried if anyone did that.

20. I am such a enabler myself.
      I love it if a guy shows interrest in my dolls personally.
      I almost talked two of my male friends into buying dolls.
      Unfortunately one of them got himself a girlfriend who is terrified of dolls so he put it on hold and the other doesnt have any money to buy one.

Honestly one of the sweetest guys I think I have met in a long time is from the dollie world so I wont complain if I ever dated one either.

I will admit however that at first when I got into the hoby it seemed slightly weird to have guys collecting dolls, but girls collecting dolls seemed weird aswell to me so >_<'
      I ofcourse got over that as soon as I got my first doll myself and saw what it was that everyone was so enthusiastic about.

I think that it shouldnt matter what gender you are, a mutual enjoyment of something beautiful, personal and as I see it "moving art" shouldnt be frowned apon. But there is always people like that.