1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

girlfriends and your dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. Just now being in the right mindset/heartset to start dating again (getting over an abusive past relationship). I've been kind of learning a lot of about my new life with dolls which started in mid-october 2007. For me I find that it is very important for someone who is interested in me to accept my dolls as well as accept my male friends who have dolls. A recent incident was when I was dating an old friend he saw my newest doll Alicia, she's got the kind of eyes that watch you, but mainly because she is curious (unlike the other two). He became unnerved by her and moved in saying "I am going to tear her face off," but to his suprise I was already behind him with an "Implement of destruction." My dolls are pretty much my life at this point, and I do not wish to fear for them all the time. An aggressive friend who hates dolls has been placed on my blacklist since that incident for fear of not just my precious dolls, but my property being damaged by foolish behaviour.

In contrast I dated a guy who introduced himself to my girls~ I loved that so much. He was very happy to see them and even wanted to brush their hair (To me that is majorly cute). He didn't care about the price and even helped me on getting Alicia. However, his old relationship refromed after a long term hiatus thus putting an end to our dating, but it was just an encouraging thing for me to see more than a few guys interested in the hobby and supporting it.

Quite frankly I don't care who is engaging in the hobby, both men and women are welcomed into most anything these days, and old social conventions can stay in the 50s. It's not so uncommon in the past (Victorian age) that a man would keep a doll of some sort throughout his childhood. The only time where I'd have a problem with a guy/girl collecting dolls if they go creepy about it. I think we all have a sense on what that entails. Though I tend to ask questions to perhaps understand there behaviour or decision in that manner. I can't waste my time, however, on someone who'll suddenly drop 1,000s of dollars on clothes or doll gear, and then take me out and go "Well I don't have much money" etc. I'd feel like a third wheel to their dolls. For me I include my prospective BF in my dolls and also spend reasonably on them, because in reality dolls can only fulfill one aspect of our lives. Also a person with good financial sense is a must, and so I tend to not respect people who spend like mad enough to date them. Lo, though they can be my friend no problem! Just not 'mature' enough for relationships. I've already suffering from a dating situation where i had to pay for absolutely everything: Plane, Food, Rent, and even clothes! (internet relationship gone wrong? Oh yes~~). That is my ONLY reservation. Other than that do as you wish with your hobbies.

As for girls not interested in guys who collect BJD wouldn't you like a man intouch with the universal balance. Who understands the softness for caring for something dependent on us as dolls are. As well as being man enough to say "Hey this is my hobby and I simply don't care what you think." I had the pleasure of learning from a man about the doll hobby and I must say I enjoy it more for his enthusiasim :lol: It's also funny to watch peoples reactions towards the male doll owners as they struggle with their social conventions to understand~ For me that is a kind of character building. As for women fearing the dolls are prettier... thats the idea! Mind you if a guy won't date you because their doll is prettier... well that borders creepy and weird. If they don't date you because of your attitude well, thats indeed your fault and a good thing to find out.

2. Interesting thread. I've seen a lot of male collectors in Japan. It actually surprised me a little at first, but now it's the norm.

Personally, I don't think a significant other should have to love everything about someone. It's only important that they are supportive and accepting. At the same time, if a significant other doesn't like dolls there seems no reason to impose one's doll-collecting hobby on them.

I collect dolls, but it certainly is only a small piece of who and what I am.

3. Aaaw, man. This thread makes me wish I had a boyfriend, much less a guy who is a friend who can stand the sight of the dolls! My roommate was shocked that I even bought one of these, but he really can't stand them. At all. :sweat

Like elphsnt said, as long as said boyfriend was supportive of the hobby that would be great! But it's nice to see alot of guys have them too! I hope I can meet a guy like that someday and we could squee over dolls together! :XD:

4. I’ve never got called gay , well not because of the dolls anyway.

I did have one Girl I may have been dating . that liked the dolls more than she liked me. She was more excited about me getting my 1st doll than I was.

One girl was all upset because I made the dolls better dresses than I made her.

One that hated my dolls unto I gave her one.

One that I wasn’t dating ran out and got one 3 weeks after we started seeing each other.

one that I broke up with because she wouldn’t stop calling me a doll collector.

But most girls don’t seam to care one way or the other.

5. I am very lucky. My wife and I got into toys and dolls and then BJDs at the same time so I have always had a wonderfully supportive partner to share my passion with. :)

With my family and other friends though it is not so easy. I'm very shy about telling people I know about my dolls. In fact the only people that know that half the resin dolls in this house are mine are my wife's parents! I guess I am just a big chicken.:sweat

6. I wish there were more guys into this!
      My first reaction would be,"Marry me. Now." XD
      Unfortunatley I have yet to find me a man who's even remotley open to BJD's.

7. :bump

Bump for a interesting thread. :bump

8. Bwahahaha your comment cracked me up!! and yeah in all seriousness you're right!!
      My brother and I both play alot of games and collect anime/games figures which include your big breasted anime girls and bishie looking males. Are we weird and gay?.. no?.. well maybe weird..
      And I think I might be a gay man trapped inside a female body hahaha but yeah that's beside's the point! it's perfectly acceptable for us both to do stuff like that?..
      but if my brother turned around and said he wanted to collect dolls like I do he would be labled gay in an instance!
      I find it kind of sad that people aren't more accepting of male doll collectors whether they be gay or straight why does their sexuality have to have anything to do with their doll collecting?
      Maybe they just like dolls? maybe it's just that simple! maybe the girl dolls are hot and the ideal girl?
      aren't the dolls ment to be extentions of yourself/your ideal character in the first place?
      you know I don't think people should need to explain to someone why they collect what they do?
      I really do relate to the boys in the hobby... we must unite and fight this negativity!! *raises samurai sword*hahaha

But on a serious note I personally would date a boy who was interested in dolls because we would have something we could share! if I had a boyfriend who wanted to collect them I would be really happy about it!
      I don't find it weird at all? maybe it's because I love all things obscure I don't know? I'm glad to see alot of the guys who collect them are accepted by the girls in the hobby! ^^

9. Interesting topic this. I'm new here, and recently stumbled on a Final Fantasy Cloud bjd while surfing for some FF related goods on the bay. And after seeing how other bjd's looked, my intial reaction was "wow, these dolls are absolute works of art!"

So I'm now in the process of getting my 1st bjd (a Cloud look-alike of course). I'd be lying if i said i wasn't worried about my gf finding out that i now find dolls appealing (still am worried:sweat). I doubt I'd be buying other dolls apart from FF related ones, but at least for now I'm dreaming of an entire cast of FF characters in custom BJD form! To hell with guys & dolls stereotype..I want my FF BJDs! :lol:

10. I know this is wrong of me, but I find it a bit weird when I find out a guy is into dolls and automatically judge them as being a femme-gay type man!

I recently met a guy who was into dolls and immediately thought he was this way, then when he mentioned he had a GF that was into them too, I was shocked and had never actually met a straight guy into dolls!

I really liked meeting a straight guy into dolls, it was kinda neat. I wish my hubby was into them and whomever his GF is, she's pretty lucky to have a man not afriad to tap into his female side!

My husband actually gets embarrassed whenever I want a new doll or I take them with me places and on vacation!

11. Wow. You thought my boyfriend was gay. Ha. Nice. :lol:

Now my sister and I are having a really good laugh.

12. Innana and I did the same thing, got into them together. :)

I don't have a problem with being out of the closet so to speak with the dolls. I'm totally straight and if someone thinks I'm gay then I just have to point to Innana. ;)

You can always point at me if you feel like not being chicken anymore....... LOL

13. ..........

14. i would love it if my husband was into dolls . that would mean that there would be no hiding the real price of the dolls:blush.

15. When my boyfriend told me he was into dolls, I was pretty okay with it. I told him that I'd have to get a girl, and he'd get a boy and they would get married!

16. Oh I would love it if my Fiance was into them. He's only interested in touching them inappropriately and posing them but further then that he has said he couldn't see himself collecting them. Maybe I can lure him in by dressing one of my girls as Cortana from Halo. Haha

But as far as guys being into them I would never think they were gay and even if they were it really doesn't matter to me. I find it so cool how our fellow male BJD hobbyists can express themselves through dollies.

17. My boyfriend is a dollie person. I actually got him into them, he fell in love with my girl Tatum, and then bought his own. Needless to say I don't mind him being into them, but I think most girls may think it's "creepy" or something.

With that said he constantly gets hit on when we go to meets, so if you're guy that is into dolls, just go to a meet and you'll get a girlfriend :lol:

18. My non-doll collector friends can't understand why I would "clutter" my house up with dolls! If I tell them I had to sell a doll for one reason or another, they actually say "great"! I stopped trying to explain to them why I like dolls. But, I do have enough "dollie friends" so it doesn't matter. My kids laugh about it, but they're ok with it.

19. I don't care if guys like to collect dolls but I doubt I will have such kind of guy as my BF. I love to talk about cars, I love to watch movies with good fights, I watch boxing and for me Craig and Diesel are perfect. I'm not sure that Craig-looking guy will collect dolls. May be hentai figures only :cool:

20. I brought a BJD because of my girlfriend...well when i didnt know her.
      I met her at a anime convention.
      after i saw her doll i wanted a BJD for myself
      I brought a dod e-an
      and met her for the first time at a dollmeet.
      we went out and yeah started dating ever since.
      our love grows and so does our BJD collection XD
      im waiting on a volks bianka and shes saving for a school A.
      the onlly thing thats a little awkward is that im 17 and shes 19 but it
      doesnt matter anymore because i dont really think about it XD