1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

girlfriends and your dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. well said.

Personally, if i got judgement from some girl who said that guys collecting BJD was 'weird', I'd look at her, and say "Um, Pot? Kettle? Black?". It is not any more or less "wierd" for a guy to collect and carry around their BJD than it is an adult woman. This is a hobby that involves dolls that cost upwards of 400 dollars a piece. I'm sorry, but if you ask me, there is nothing wierd about that. The price tag alone makes this a mature and majorly adult hobby. I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but 34percent of the collectors of Barbie are male. This shows that there are MANY men into dolls.

Not being attracted to someone is one thing, but if ur basing that on a stereo type of a guy fussing over a doll's wig, or over a doll's make-up, then that is not a proper 'personality' assessment. I have yet to meet a guy who collects who acts like a 'girl' when dealing with their dolls. In fact, if anything, i find that it's very interesting how guys in the hobby act, with their BJD, compared to girls. I've met a few straight men who collect, and i've met some gay men who collect.

As a male myself, i collect pretty traditional BJD, as well as having the 'big boobed typical anime-type. I buy a doll because of my love for that doll. I can't really talk about how a girlfriend would react to me having one, but so far, all my guy friends have loved them. :)

2. OMG, i think i saw that!!! there were like 6 guys, and 2 girls! LOL it was a total reversal to the norm! it was so awesome! LOL Something i've always wished for was going into a meet-up and seeing the guys actually outnumber the girls! LOL

3. hehehe i remember meeting you at one of the Florida meets and gushing over my red :) You were so sweet and supportive. :)

4. :bump Bumping this thread for more Discussion.:bump

5. Well, I just recently got married (february 28th) and when my hubby saw my dolls, he was suprised by how big they were , other than that he didn't really pay much attention to them. Though now that he's back home (in wellington New Zealand) and i'm here waiting to go over there in October. I ask him about it and he wants to get one!! I was so excited to hear that..lol he wants to get a girl and turn her into a warhammer 40k character. I think he's really into the idea of modding them as well. He paints warhammer mini's and collects those for gaming to. heh
      Sorry for the to long response! >.<

6. Even I'm a girl, I've got a girlfriend ;)

My girlfriend neither like nor dislike my doll. She just can't understand why I bought a such expensive doll, in her eyes I'll stand him on my desk and that's all. She doesn't really know I'm gonna lern sewing for it, make the face-up, take photos e.t.c.

For her it's more like a very expensive Actionfigure D:
      So I don't talk with her much about my doll, she always has this "Oh no, you talking abot THAT thing again..." look when I start to tell her about my happiness because my doll will be here in the next weeks D:

I hope that will change when he's here. Maybe she likes him.:atremblin

7. Me and My Girlfriend have been bitten by the Resin bug hard~ We love our bjds xD

And when we eventually move in together, it's gonna be a full house XD

8. This is like a fairy tale, it's so sweet.:aheartbea

9. I fell hard for BJDs when my wife was in the hospital for a season or so. She wasn't into them, and (I suspect) thought it was more than a little odd. Then she found out that there were little ones that look like children . . .

I've had some odd looks when I've brought dolls out for photoshoots / meetups / whatever, but in most cases, it hasn't lasted long. There are some folks, however, that I just don't broach the subject with - the folks at my primary job (very conservative / macho) and my parents (also conservative, and eighty-something).

I think there's just one potential problem with having both members of a couple into expensive dolls - when a new cutie or splendid outfit shows up, neither one initiates a reality check!

~Bruce

10. I adore male BJD collectors. They are great people.

ha. My boyfriend and BJDs...it went in stages.
      STAGE ONE.
      He had no idea what they were, but he put in money for my boy, because it would make me happy.
      STAGE TWO.
      Nesha arrives, and all he can say is, "that thing is so creepy."
      STAGE THREE.
      He finally refers to Nesha as "he", "him", and "Nesha", as opposed to "it" and "your doll."

It's slow-going, but he is making noises about wanting an MSD customized to look like me. Heterochromia, boyish hair, small chest and all. He's so cute.

11. As a girl I absolutely love to see guys in the hobby as well. One of my buddies fell in love with my doll and he hasn't even seen him yet, now he's planning on getting his own MSD someday. xD
      If I were to ever date again I'd definitely be thrilled to find a guy who owns a doll. It's not the least bit strange to me.

12. As A guy collector of dolls I sometimes face some prejudice. At work recently. I'm on my lunch break (I work at a large Retail store) I'm reading the latest issue of hautedoll when this new girl comes in to eat her lunch, see's what I'm reading, she sayes "why are you reading a doll magazine? I try to exsplane what Abjd dolls are and why I collect them. She can only say, Dude you got Issues. and has told me that many times since then for some of the outher things I like (like Heavy metal music and model building, both of witch she thinks is childish.) well a few days later her husban who is there to pick her up when she get off. walks up to me and flips me off with both hands and calls me a fruitcake. I ask why. You collect DOLLS!!! I say so what. And he says Playing with dolls is for little girls. I want go into some of the outher natsy thing he said. I try to exsplane the BIG differents between Barbie and ABJD dolls but he just walks off. I told my boss what happen As this happened in a public area of the store and while the store was opened. If he does anything like this again. he will be banned from the store. It also should be noted that I'm not the only one he has hurrased at the store. But gee some people.

13. Reed Julian: That's terrible! :o I'm still so surprised how close-minded people are sometimes.

I can't really talk in this thread about romantic girlfriends (not attracted), but my awesome friends have mixed reactions. I have a few that are into BJD, but most of my crowd doesn't understand. One of my sworn sisters even asked me, "Aren't you too old to be playing with dolls?" It stung a little, since she is one of the three people I trust most in the world.

I actually showed a doll to a guy friend, and he was very impressed with how realistic they looked. He even showed me one on the site (it was also DoD :XD: ), and said that he liked her. It made me so happy, since I don't really have a lot of people to rant to about this sort of thing. :sweat

Anyway, I don't believe that age or gender is important in anything. If it's something you love, it's not for other people to worry about, you know? :)

:hamster:
      Tacti

14. I ordered and recieved my DZ Megi a week or so ago and my husband wouldn't let me open him until he got home. He really really likes him and wants one, but he doesnt' know which one he wants. He really wants a DZ Yuu, but not the 70cm size. He wants a 44... I'm thinking of getting him one for Christmas. :3

15. I find this thread interesting as I come from a different perspective on this. I was introduced to bjds by a friend of mine and my interest has slowly grown for them. I do chain and metal work and was hinted at to try doing some smaller scale things for dolls. Not owning any it is interesting when I see someone at a convention and approach them to ask about the size of the doll and see if I can try some of my things on the doll to see if they fit as I no way to check size except for trying my stuff on other people's dolls. As for cost I am already into anime and manga an expensive hobby as it is. I also practice Japanese sword arts and a decent sword makes a doll look cheap. Lastly I am working toward being a photographer and equipment makes dolls look cheap also. Oddly enough when I introduced my gf to them she didn't run and scream but doesn't care for them that much either. Most of my friends who are guys think they are interesting and like the work I am starting to do for them. Overall it depends on the person.

16. haha I am the Girlfriend and My Boyfriend dont like em...*crys*

17. For me it's a case of "must love dolls" lol but being the strange person i am for anyone to consider going out with me they would have to be pretty open minded .

But I really think it's great when guys are interested in dolls specially abjds because aren't your average Barbie or china doll . The world has become to judgmental for my tastes.

18. Since I got my first BJD, my girlfriend really wants one too. She joined this site recently and is trying to save up for one.

19. well honestly if it was the other way around, like my husband was collecting them when I met him that would not really creep my out but make me think that he's a little bit odd. But since it is not like that its all good. Actually since introducing him into the hobby he decided to get himself a doll as well.