1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Girls Loving Girls

Nov 9, 2007

1. More girl dolls means more girl love! And I am 100 percent up for that.
      It's in part the gender imbalance and in part because a lot of girl dolls are kind of there to look innocent and pretty, and not to be paired up at all. Not sure I like that, as if the two are incompatible. Though I'm not planning on getting a girl for my first, I certainly will be getting girls later, and if they aren't closed minded... why should I be?

2. Well... this has actually come up to some extent here. One of the running jokes in the house is that when one of the male dolls finally arrives, he'll look out of the box, all the girls looking down, and there'd be a "Yay! I like girls!" and "Oh, good, you'll fit in just fine around here, then, so do we!" Granted, that's more random silliness than anything else in my case.

I'm in the 'yaoi doesn't really grab me' minority as well. I have nothing against it (or yuri for that matter, or straight romances, or anything else) but it just isn't my primary interest in terms of the relationships between people... which are, in my experience, much more unique and individual, and thus harder to really categorize than that in any realistic way much of the time.

3. I always thought that the reason female same-sex couples are less popular in the doll world is that a large proportion of collectors, I believe, are heterosexual females. And for heterosexual females, what could be better than one attractive male, but two attractive males, doing naughty things to each other? :lol: (I'm being facetious, I think this is an overgeneralisation - but may be, at least in part, true.)

I also consign myself to the not-much-bothered-about-yaoi minority, but then I am not a heterosexual female. I still think some boy doll couples can be just as sweet as any other sort, it just doesn't captivate me much. And I definitely support any girl doll couples, to help offset the imbalance! I'm planning one myself, as a matter of fact. :D As for how far you can go, animemom - Here on DoA, I would guess that you can go as far as the forum rules let you, just the same as for straight and gay male dolly pairings. I certainly hope (and expect) you wouldn't come across any resistance to the idea in terms of social pressure. Enjoy yourself, I for one can't wait to see your girls :)

4. It's pretty darn likely that, as I start to get several dolls, I'll end up with a girl x girl couple! ^__^ Especially seeing as how I like romance and don't plan on owning any boys (though things happen! XD).
      Personally, however, as a lesbian, I much prefer seeing girl x girl couples than guy x guy couples, though I appreciate both. ^.^

As to WHY there isn't more yuri/shoujo-ai running around, well, I have a vague theory for that.
      As a general rule of thumb, (straight) girls like yaoi. Following stereotypes here, girls tend to look for more of a story with their romance (though we all love a little smut now and then!), thus the creation of story-filled yaoi comes about. And since most people have some sort of romantic story they'd like to tell, lots and lots of yaoi/shoujo-ai is created.
      Men, on the other hand, generally do not create girl x girl romance for any purpose other than smut. This means that, except for a few select males, most girl x girl romance must be created by women. And since women are busy creating guy x guy romance... Well, you can see where this is going. ^___^
      As always though, it's a bit simplified, but I tried to be as general as possible while still getting my point across.

I would tell you to look out for girl x girl photostories from me... But I don't know how long it'll be before I get my second or third doll! T.T (It may be 5+ months before I can get Shall, as it is O.o)

5. I don't think the only reason women enjoy yaoi is due to the fact that it's two hot guys or the ability for a depth of story you can't get in mainstream het. It's kind of a personal taste, like liking redheads. You can probably notice that other hair colours are attractive, and you probably enjoy them too, it's just... I've heard being a slash fan referred to as a 'fetish' but it's only a fetish in the way that liking attractive people is. There's a whole lot of combining factors that are *also* present in yuri.
      It kind of surprised me to see how many yuri fans I found who were heterosexual women. There's no weird Yuri Police that breaks into your house and shreds your comics and DVDs if it finds out you like guys :3
      When I get my gift head from AOD it's definitely being a girl, probably the 'other half' character to my main doll, whatever he ends up being. She'll probably still be bi, though, if not just into girls- I think there *can* be romance without sexual attraction.

6. I like het and yaoi alot, but yuri is most of the time for me just....boring.
      I've got some yuri couples, but none of the dolls I've ever seen would fit for them :/
      (Rip van Winkle x Zoolin Blitz, as example. Two girls from Hellsing)

Most of the girl dolls are just too cute and too innocent for making some "naughty" photoshoots (or just kisses), I think. Of course there are a couple of not so young and innocent looking girls, but most people don't make such things with there dollies XD'

7. I just wanted to say one thing about this--For people bemoaning the lack of non-innocent looking girls, have hope...

I was in the same boat for a couple of my characters. Sweet and innocent just didn't suit, and I was having trouble finding headsculpts. I ended up buying them off the forum, and the headsculpts I chose were not ones I had ever previously considered. It was seeing them with different, not cute/sweet faceups. The faceups made all the difference in the world. I also realized that very few of my girls look cute and innocent at all--even the ones that I hadn't bought for specific characters. I must be drawn to bad girls or something, lol. I think at least 90% is in the look that you give them.

8. I'm mostly a yaoi, sometimes lolicon/hentai kind of girl... However I find that I dislike dolly couple pictures in general. ^^; I like the vague, ambiguous subtext-y ones just find, but there is a certain threshold of mushiness/sexiness that I cannot pass for dolls, regardless of genders involved.

But this girl x girl shoot had my jaw drop: http://www.blastmilk.com/dolls_toys/super_dollfie_bjd/innocence_unlockd.php#more

How the hell does one pull off a threesome and strap-ons with grace and good taste? :D This is probably the only doll sex scene I'll ever totally dig.

As for why yuri is rare, it's like most people have said, the vast majority of bjd collectors is female and heterosexual, and yaoi/slash is big among girls for various reasons. Collectors accumulate objects to reflect their desires; thus, girls (myself included) desire boy dolls to be adorably gay, and desire girl dolls to be adorable clotheshorses. xD

If I eventually decide to have a larger collection, I'd want girl twincest. :3

9. I'm straight and don't mind a girl doll with another girl doll at all. I own more boys who have boyfriends (except for my Mini SD's who are siblings of one of the boyfriends). I only have one girl doll which is a DD and I plan on getting another girl as her mate.
      She could remain single or have a boyfriend but I don't imagine him staying "faithful". In other words if a new boy arrives in the house he'll probably run off with him and leave her in tears (wouldn't that make a great photo story:lol:).

10. I did a girl/girl photoshoot a long time ago and it wasn't too risque..mainly cuddling and kissing..I was very surprised at the comments I got...so many were really wanting to see more of this type...
      I don't care for the boy/boy stuff..not for my guys anyway..I will sometimes pose them in positions just for a laugh but that's about it...but I am planning a naughty girl/girl shoot in the very near future...featuring my Minifees{sisters to boot!}..those new bodies do some awesome poses.:thumbup

11. I'm a fan of girl girl couples. I'm planning on getting a Lusis to be the lover to the Lusis that my little is getting, and a Shushu who will definately go after one of the other girls on the board. I think I tend to prefer girl-girl love over boy-boy love.

12. Not to nitpick or anything, but errr...

I'm gonna stick my neck out and clarify something.

'Yaoi' is a Japanese term that is a smashup of the first letter of several phrases that goes something like 'no climax, no point, no meaning' and came up as a way to describe the male x male doujinshi/fanwritten comics that came from romantically pairing males in various manga and anime together that normally wouldn't be together.

From what I understand, as many many of these stories focused on the sexual relations between the characters rather than building a story, the term 'yaoi' came around to describe this phenomena and 'shounen-ai' came to describe male x male partnerships of a more story-based and softcore nature.

With 'yaoi' being Westernized, it seems to have become this umbrella term for ALL male x male relationships whether the stories are sexually explicit or not and whether the characters come from manga or anime or somewhere else entirely.

Somehow, something got lost in translation and I think clarification needs to be made, especially in this forum.

Yaoi is sexually explicit - this is why Yaoi-con is ONLY open to 18 and older. What you find here on DoA is NOT yaoi as DoA content is limited to PG-13. Go to controversial doll and you'll see the real yaoi that requires you to be 18 or over.

Shounen-ai is not necessarily sexually explicit as the term directly translates to 'boy love'. What you find here on DoA would fit into this category.

---

Blegh.

I normally wouldn't nitpick something like this, but I think a lot of misunderstanding about the male x male or even female x female genre comes from people mixing and matching their terms around.

Another fandom forum I used to frequent was sitting on the fence in regards to allowing homosexual pairings to be talked about and posted about in fics and such and they eventually got scared away because some people kept pushing the whole 'Let us have yaoi!' and the admins immediately thought of the whole yaoi == 'nothing but sex' deal (which WAS what yaoi originally was, before Westernization) and so nixed any and all thoughts about allowing homosexual pairings to be discussed.

Considering that the forum catered to a fandom that had nothing Japanese to do with it, the mention of yaoi was rather out of place to boot.

With that said, WHY can't people just say 'gay' or 'lesbian' or 'bisexual' when they're describing their dolls and their relationships and when they're labeling their stories and pictures? Why is it always yaoi or yuri everything?

Unless the dolls are Japanese or come from a manga or anime in the style of doujinshi, labeling stories as 'yaoi' or 'yuri' really in a lot of cases just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways.

In regards to the original poster, the reason not many girl x girl stories show up is probably exactly what another poster said: 'yaoi' caters to the women and so on a board full of women and on a board that is touched by Japanese pop culture, relationships of the 'yaoi' flavor tend to pop up.

I personally like pairings however they appear and if it's a good story or a bunch of nice pictures, so much the better. :)

13. actually the Linlan you sold me has a girlfriend X3

14. I tend to say 'yaoi' instead of 'shounen-ai' because it has fewer syllables- sorry T_T;; If I had my way, we'd call everything slash and leave it at that, but even that's not fully correct. Using yaoi as a blanket term for everything from shounen-ai on up has been a more recent development, and it's a bad habit I should probably break >_<;;
      Calling a photostory between two dolls of the same gender a 'gay' or 'lesbian' photostory just seems a little off to me. If I get the complete set of my originalfic OT3, will the main pairing be a 'straight' photostory? Just marking the pairing in the header is good enough if we're avoiding saying yaoi or yuri.

15. I absolutly agree!!!:) The big dolls in my doll family are gays and lesbian (again excluding the minis who are siblings of one of my boys). I'm not at all ashamed of making them gay instead of straight (makes me feel like a god:lol:) and I don't call their relationships a Yaoi one.
      Personally I don't know the answer to why most male male relationships are called Yaoi. Maybe the pretty boy pictures and romance? But a lot of gay novels tell the same genre without the comic pictures. Maybe it's the sex or how some books only show two kissing boys and cuts off to "the morning after" without showing anything.

I was explaining this to a coworker of mine when I worked at Borders. I told her what yaoi was versus a regular gay novel. We both agreed that it's sort of an oxymoron. I'm not at all annoyed with doll owners who call their doll relationships yaoi or yuri. Personally i'd like to avoid labels, but if I have to explain to my friends what type of relationships my big dolls have then I would say "yes, they are gay".;)

16. Iikaya I don't really think it causes a lot of confusion--and actually the correct term is BL (Boys Love) not shonen-ai -- shonen-ai is actually a little different, however shonen-ai is the term Western fans use to refer to BL so it will be understood in places like this. I think a lot of people who are fans of the genre do know the difference between Yaoi and it's less explicit counter parts, however sometimes it's easier to say 'yaoi' than yaoi and shonen-ai or BL or whatever term you wish to use. While explicit shoots are not allowed here, that doesn't mean that people don't post such things in other places--it isn't always just about DoA.

I don't think labeling a photoshoot as gay or lesbian is necessarily accurate. Yaoi/shonen-ai/Yuri/shojo-ai are not meant to be accurate portrayals of gay and lesbian relationships--they are simply fantasies geared for a specific audience. To label a photoshoot as gay or lesbian would suggest an attempt at a level of realism that yaoi and yuri don't often have (nor is it necessary for them to have). Plus while anyone can enjoy say yaoi, it is intended for a female audience which is different yet again from a male/male shoot intended for gay men. Do to the demographic on this board, I have a feeling that what a lot of doll people do really does fall more into yaoi, yuri, shonen-ai, and shojo-ai rather than just gay/lesbian relationships.

17. I got all kinds of couples among my doll characters. Not much to argue about when love strikes and that's the way I like to have it. :3 <3

18. I've actually had people react with raised eyebrows when I've told them that Soah Nozomi-Cho and her boyfriend Kisho-Ryuu are in a hetero relationship!

Phoenix will sometimes flirt with 'Zomi, but they're really good friends. Phoenix just has a very strong libido, and no steady partner. I do think if the right girl came along, Phoenix isn't the sort to let another resin's physical gender get in the way of her having a great time with them!

Since I have (among the big dolls) only one boy living here so far, the issue just hasn't come up for Kisho.

~Bruce

19. Sid's a lesbian (as you can see in her coming out thread -a cry for girl love-) and if you read the replys you can see that theres-not quite a ton of but- a good amount of lesbians out there on DoA.

20. It's quite a tough topic for the forum I think for one reason and that's there are all these threads about 'why aren't there as many girls together?' and 'post pics of your girlXgirls' yet when Yuri/Shoujo-ai threads are in the gallery they don't get as much attention. Where though it's obvious people DO want to see girls together. Maybe the posters never get enough feedback to keep producing it. I do get good responces for my girl couple but no where near as much as when they are on their own in the gallery. That would never stop me doing shoots with them though.
      I don't put it down to people not wanting to see girls together I just put it down to the mold and maybe it's just not popular that day, the Lishe lovers weren't online. ;)