1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Girls view on guys who own BJDs

Oct 26, 2010

1. . I hate to admit this, but older men with dolls do make me pause. It's not like "OMG, he's over 30 and therefore is a creeper with a doll", but it does take me a minute to not be shocked. I'm so used to people past 35 so conservative that I never imagined any of them would break cultural mores and join this hobby.

So, to sum it up: younger guys, never had a problem. Older guys, I'm learning something new about you! :)[/QUOTE]

Okay, I had to roll my eyes and chuckle. How did I know you were going to be talking about me ? This is really a fun topic for me and I love it! I will be glad to help you learn something about this old man with dolls.
      Thirty years ago I was this young man in my twenties who collected dolls. Back then, it really was stranger for a guy to collect than today. I got alot of eye rolls, strange comments, etc. from friends and family but, I stood my ground and continued to do what I loved.
      I have collected every doll you could think of over the years. Many of these dolls I still have in storage. Many of these dolls are still currently on display in my home.
      I recently discovered BJD's this year and joined the forum. I have purchased 7 BJD's this year I am having the time of my life as an "Old man" with dolls.
      I am doing face ups. I am designing clothing. I am sewing the clothes. ( I have posted in the critics section on the forums for my new art. You can see my clothing designs under "Gargon King's outfit". ) I have just airbrushed my first two Soom dolls etc.
      I still feel like this 20 year old but, time has turned me 50. If you knew me personally the only thing you would pause over is my massive collection.
      I really had to smile when I just bought a Soom head from the Marketplace. The seller got my name and address and sent me a note saying " I'm so glad he is going to a man, someone who will appreciate him"
      Basically , I am just a collector who got OLD. ( I guess its better than the alternative?)
      I am going to post a quick picture below of the Right hand side of my gallery in my home. The left side isn't shown because I have unfinished, half dressed, half painted BJD's on display that I am working on.
      Thanks for letting this male participate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wow....*eyes the collection* Ok, some of those freak me out, and I'm female!

My boyfriend is trying to save for a KDF Bory, and we have at least 3 guys in our group, even if 2 are always busy and can't come that often.

3. Nothing wrong with that. There are many sculpters that are male. Males being involved in BJD community is not unusual to me. Just like how guys shouldn't be surprised that there are girl gamers LOL

4. Exactly! Thank you for putting it that way Izam! XD I have to laugh at these gender related hobby shocks. I'm glad we have the guys in the hobby too, I just wish I knew some locally!

5. Reading through all these posts just gives me a happy feeling inside. The overall nature of these posts has been "No, it's not an issue in this hobby." In fact, a couple of posts have been along the lines of "Pfft. No. Why would you even think there was an issue?"

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to see once again just how accepting and open this community is. ^_^ Go us!

6. Well, maybe it would be normal, but also strange...

I know about the hobby, and that there are guys in it (a minority) and I'd know that they're sort of into dolls like I am.

But I always grew up thinking girls play with dolls and boys had 'action figures'. It would still feel weird for me.

Strangely, I had both gender's toys. I had a couple of transformers (weren't really into them), I was all over the Power Rangers figures, played with Barbies, plushies, and before they made him into an action figure, I got a G.I. Joe doll, because he looked like my Barbies (but he was 2in taller, turns out lol).

7. I'm all for it. But then, I was the girl begging for Transformers toys and getting Barbie. I liked Barbie just fine, but... giant robots! That turn into things! C'mon!

Manscan, your collection is boggling. Seriously amazing.

8. @ Manscan:Thank you, that's exactly what I meant by learning. I love the collection. It's truly gorgeous.

The internet is such an amazing place. It broadens my horizons so.

9. I have yet to meet a man in the hobby, but I would fully love to meet one!! I think these dolls have such a profound effect on anyone who spends time near them. If we decided it was wrong for a certain gender to have one then I would find it incredibly judgmental on our part. I believe that everyone has their own way of looking at things and that's what makes us different and unique. Its important to be comfortable with yourself and your hobbies. I'm always afraid of how people will react to just about any of my hobbies but I have learned to turn it into a game; when I say to people "I'm 18 and love to knit." I always get this questioning look and just have to laugh. Everyone has the right to be who they want and like what they want, I fully encourage it!!!

10. Manscan, wow! That's one heck of a collection! :o And and... are those... Cabbage Patch Kids?! I want to jump on that couch and get my snuggle on with all of them. :aheartbea

Anyway, I don't think it's strange at all! I have bins full of Hot Wheels cars and those oldschool orange tracks. And tons of Legos, too. And maybe I have a Grimlock toy, because Grimlock king.

I figure that if girls can play with things that are supposedly not for us, why can't the fellas?

11. I have a male friend who with his wife are fully immersed in the hobby. Both he and his wife have matching outfits for their their dolls, that is to say the human and the doll have matching outfits. It's awesome. Together they have about 12 dolls and I see that family only growing with time. He has just as much fun with the dolls as his wife does.

12. I think it's cool! These dolls can be anything you can think up; such a creative outlet shouldn't be limited to females. :) My husband half wants one and I keep watching, waiting, and enticing but he hasn't bit the resin bullet yet. ;) My youngest brother, a high school senior, thinks the IH girls are very beautiful and I hope he'll be interested enough to get one someday too. ^_^ I can see them both fighting the "dolls-are-for-girls" instinct inside.

13. It's really nice to see all this positivity coming from all you all. I really do hope that I run into you or people like you when my guy has a face and decent clothing and is therefore con ready and can leave the house.

14. it's nice to see that nobody here has a problem with guys with dolls~
      the one time someone other than my family saw me with my dolls, he was really mean and made fun of me so i'm glad not everyone is like that.

15. Well, I was brought up thinking guys couldn't play with dolls, so it feels a bit.. Weird? But actually I'm glad there are a lot of male fans as well ^_^

16. Both my husband and I are into this hobby lol. But he only has one bjd. I have 4... In fact, he knew about this hobby way before I did. LOL

17. Well, my very first group of BJD friends are all guys. So I personally don't find it an issue. Nevertheless, I would be surprised to see older guys (like say 40 onwards) collecting BJDs. In my culture I find them conservative... But it's gonna be a pleasant surprise I think.

18. Manscan! Is that your doll room? Himmies! Would love to see the rest of the room. I am always totally envious of people with doll rooms, can never afford a doll room myself.

Nothing wrong with guys with dolls. Men with dolls are brave and gentle. Sometimes, they call their dolls action figures. Personally, anything with a head, body, hands, eyes that look like a doll is a doll. Star war actions figures are dolls.....ok, I know some guys will kill me for this but yes, they are to me nothing but dolls.

19. This is an excellent point. I wonder if the people with "icky" knee-jerk reactions come from cities where boys simply don't play with dolls. I once saw a guy getting harassed because he dyed his hair blue. I don't want to think about what they'd do to him if he had a doll.

20. Hello all
      I'm a gie and love this thread i'm 38 and have 7 bjd and a lot of outhers'
      As well i'm a sculpter and i'm working on 2 60cm doll bodie's right now.
      and i'm not afrade to say i havd them or love them and my B&g Afra he goes' every ware with me
      thank's for makeing this thread it made it way easier to say yea i love them out loud