1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Girls view on guys who own BJDs

Oct 26, 2010

1. I know there are people that frown upon males playing with dolls... but they have no issue with males collecting action figures? What is the difference? Just think of BJDs as real big action figures... LOL

2. I was at first surprised to see guys in the hobby when I first became interested but it never bothered me. The more the merrier. I tried to get a friend of mines into the hobby. He already collected action figures plus he's a brony. Too bad he backed out of it when I told him the male BJDs had manly parts. He would only collect the males but couldn't deal with the extra parts. He's not ready for that yet.
      I can't judge anybody in this hobby because I already get judged myself for being a grown woman still playing with dolls.

3. I'll just throw in my two cents as well. I'm a guy, and have "recently" got into this hobby. I picked up a Volks Yoko in January almost on a whim. I'm a huge Gurren Lagann fan, and found her accidentally while looking for figures from the anime. I was able to pick up a Yoko second hand with all the original stuff. I was super excited! She now has two other outfits because her standard one stains. She had a few stains on her when I got her, which I was aware of before buying, but it doesn't matter. She's too cool.

Oh by the way, my girlfriend found her for me. She has been in the hobby for a long time, and I always thought that her dolls were pretty epic. I build model cars and airplanes, am an avid LEGO fan, and collect all sorts of statues and figures already, so it wasn't weird to me getting a doll at all. It's just another cool thing to tinker with and customize. I'm actually saving up for a second one right now (Moe Line MNF Mirwen).

Here's the best part. My girlfriend thinks it's awesome that she can talk to me about doll stuff. We look at parts and clothes and random accessories online all the time. It's something we do together and have fun with, so that's awesome. I'm not worried about feeling "unmasculine." I have a sports car that I work on and mod, am an avid gamer, and listen to metal all the time. I am a classical musician, so maybe I'm more in touch with my softer side than most car enthusiasts, but who cares? It's a cool hobby, and like so many others have said, gender doesn't really matter.

Besides, the community here seems really supportive, and that's what counts.

4. We've seen a lot of progress lately in rethinking the whole toys for boys vs. toys for girls thing. Just as we're now winning the fight that makes it all right for girls to play with action/engineering/science toys, I think we're making similar strides in making it okay for boys to play with dolls/makeup/sparkly ponies. Toys are toys, and collectibles are collectibles. Just because you have a thing doesn't mean you fit a predefined gender stereotype that someone else associates with that thing.

And sure, maybe some guys get overly sexual with their BJDs. But I've seen lots of women get awfully weird over their boy dolls. I do not think that is a gender-specific thing. I mean, I don't know what people are building with their LEGO sets behind closed doors, either. :)

I like to think of BJDs as art. It's a huge and varied thing... I don't like a lot of it, I find it tacky or ugly or too cute. A lot of it I find gorgeous or even inspiring. But overall, I simply love the whole concept of it -- art, dolls, a community of collectors sharing a thing they love. Everyone should be able to share in that.

5. I think it's awesome!! As someone that can't tell my friends about them (my friends are mostly girls) and wouldn't even think of telling my guy friends about it, as they it was really weird and just laugh at me and make rumors about it. Finding guys that not only not judge me for what I like but also like it aswell is awesome!

6. I think it's great! Everyone should get into this hobby, regardless of gender because it is so fun and awesome. I don't judge at who collects these dolls :D

7. [MENTION=69151]OkamiNoShiro[/MENTION] MAY I SAY YOUR FREAKIN' AWESOME. :o

8. Toys should be genderless.
      I don't think anyone should be confined into the boy toys or girl toys decision.
      Everyone likes different things regardless to gender.

9. There are a lot of box openings and reviews dome by males, I've always assumed that there many men interested in all aspects of this hobby, men are as creative and aware of beauty as women, and that is what this is, an art form and an expression of the appreciation of beauty.

10. I think it's absolutely wonderful for ANYONE to express themselves through ANY form - whether that be poetry, video games or BJD's. The dolls are art in their own right, and art is universal :daisy

11. [MENTION=70229]thekpopwolf[/MENTION] Thank you! I'm positive you are awesome as well!

It's great to see the idea of toys having genders going away, I agree. You see people of both genders getting into fashion, cars, sports, gaming, etc., that it is crazy to think that toys - the mere nature of which is to provide fun and happiness - are still so gender locked. I actually saw a statistic the other day (can't remember where) that said the average gamer is now considered to be female, ages 20-35. It's great to see the progress being made, and great to see the support on this forum, as well. :)

12. I could not care if a guy collects bjds, i think its great :) be who you are and not who you should be :)

13. I think if a guy owned BJDs he'd exhibit the same sort of care and patience I did with them, takes a certain kind of person to be into what we do let alone accepting of it. I think I view all doll owners equally. :)

14. It's great that this hobby can reach so many people. If you want to express your art and creativity through a doll it shouldn't matter what gender you are.

15. I love seeing guys in the hobby! It adds diversity to the community.